Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened to the "Eco Living" theme that the Laundry Day Stuff Pack was supposed to be about?

Comments

• Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    The Guru’s have explained themselves multiple times and no one chooses to listen.

Which is a huge issue with people who constantly complain about The Sims 4.

YOU ARE GETTING AN ECO FRIENDLY STUFF PACK. But you are also getting additional stuff as well.

Washing your clothes in the bucket and hanging them up on the line is ECO FRIENDLY.

But unless you want them to offer Washing and Drying machines under a seperate pack, they might as well include them as well as an overall concept.

But Laundry was originally brainstormed by the Devs when discussing Eco stuff, because washing by hand is eco-friendly.

SimGuruGraham explained multiple times how the topics and ideas were chosen.

Alright, then here comes the Fitness Stuff pack and the only really fitness-oriented thing they could focus on was a rock-climbing wall. And no, fitness videos aren't enough justification.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    The Guru’s have explained themselves multiple times and no one chooses to listen.

Which is a huge issue with people who constantly complain about The Sims 4.

YOU ARE GETTING AN ECO FRIENDLY STUFF PACK. But you are also getting additional stuff as well.

Washing your clothes in the bucket and hanging them up on the line is ECO FRIENDLY.

But unless you want them to offer Washing and Drying machines under a seperate pack, they might as well include them as well as an overall concept.

But Laundry was originally brainstormed by the Devs when discussing Eco stuff, because washing by hand is eco-friendly.

SimGuruGraham explained multiple times how the topics and ideas were chosen.

Alright, then here comes the Fitness Stuff pack and the only really fitness-oriented thing they could focus on was a rock-climbing wall. And no, fitness videos aren't enough justification.

I hate the rock climbing wall/treadmill. I haven't bought the pack because I find that object so useless and unrealistic. It was such a terrible gameplay object choice, they should have done an exercise bike and weight lifting, water bottles for sims to drink from after exercising, energy bars idk, I just don't understand the over the top fixation they have. Rocket chips, crazy observatories, the giant microscope I don't get it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    We're never going to get an eco living pack. We are stuck with a laundry pack. The whole voting was a sham.

It's a sham because we didn't get what you wanted?

It's a sham for the following reasons:

a) Voting was suspect - the vote for the theme was ranked, but everything else was first past the post. I doubt the eco theme would have won if the rest of the voting was this way, and it's doubtful that laundry won if the voting had been consistent from the beginning.
    b) The guru told people to vote for laundry
    c) Laundry was included in both eco living and home life stuff
    d) Laundry is not, nor has it ever been, eco friendly (detergent harms the environment and is killing the Orcas in Puget Sound)

Also, laundry is a terrible idea for a pack. I mean, people are really going to spend $10 to do imaginary laundry? If we do another community pack, I'm assuming people will also explain how $10 isn't that much to spend on a pack that involves paint drying. People have also tried to claim that "everybody has a washing machine and a dryer in their house" but that is patently false - I have to go to the laundromat if I want to do laundry, so laundry is, in fact, entirely unrealistic for my sims.

First of all, a Guru never said vote laundry. People were asking Graham about laundry and he told them theyd have to vote for it if they wanted it. Please dont spread false information.

Second, no it wasnt.

Third, the hand wash and dry is very eco friendly. Especially with cold water. I wash my clothes in the tub with cold water and hang them to dry most of the time.

I'm not going to even try to argue with you about why people find laundry interesting. Its another chore to do in the sims. We do it in real life all the time.

But people want to be self centered and entitled and think a vote was rigged just because they didnt get what they wanted, and then attack other simmerss because we voted for what WE found interesting.

It is a 10 dollar pack, there will be plenty more. If you dont like it then dont buy it, and stop attacking people who do.

First of all, yes, he did get people whipped up to do laundry before the stuff pack was announced. Just because it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't mean it's true.

Second, I do not do laundry all the time irl. Laundry is a whole day where I have to pack up my stuff, take the bus to the laundromat, and wait. That is in no way relaxing or something I want to do every day. I'm glad you can afford your own washing machine, but not all of us can.

Third, when was I attacking you? If you think any criticism of the pack is an attack on you, then that's on you. It's your life - if you want to be self-centered and entitled and think anybody who doesn't hold your point of view is attacking you, don't complain because not everybody agrees with you.

I'm sure you can find plenty of people who agree with you (the forums are free!), but not everybody will. If you don't like it, don't read it, and stop attacking people who don't hold your opinion.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Second, I do not do laundry all the time irl. Laundry is a whole day where I have to pack up my stuff, take the bus to the laundromat, and wait. That is in no way relaxing or something I want to do every day. I'm glad you can afford your own washing machine, but not all of us can.
    I feel for you.
    When I first moved to the city, I had no washing machine.
    I'd either catch several buses to get to family, where I'd borrow their washing machine, or I'd walk to the local laundromat, but couldn't afford to use the driers, so would have to carry wet laundry home, to hang on the line out the back of my flat. Or I'd wash clothes in the bath, wring it out by hand, and hang it on the line.

Eventually someone gave me a second hand, ancient twin-tub.

It's a pity they didn't include one of those monsters in the game.
    They're horrible to have to use on a regular basis. You have to lift heavy, soggy clothing from the tub, into the spin dryer. And then you have to repeat the process when you rinse, and then hang it on a line to dry.

twin%2Btub.jpg

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    We're never going to get an eco living pack. We are stuck with a laundry pack. The whole voting was a sham.

a) Voting was suspect - the vote for the theme was ranked, but everything else was first past the post. I doubt the eco theme would have won if the rest of the voting was this way, and it's doubtful that laundry won if the voting had been consistent from the beginning.
    d) Laundry is not, nor has it ever been, eco friendly (detergent harms the environment and is killing the Orcas in Puget Sound)

Also, laundry is a terrible idea for a pack. I mean, people are really going to spend $10 to do imaginary laundry? If we do another community pack, I'm assuming people will also explain how $10 isn't that much to spend on a pack that involves paint drying. People have also tried to claim that "everybody has a washing machine and a dryer in their house" but that is patently false - I have to go to the laundromat if I want to do laundry, so laundry is, in fact, entirely unrealistic for my sims.

First of all, a Guru never said vote laundry. People were asking Graham about laundry and he told them theyd have to vote for it if they wanted it. Please dont spread false information.

Second, no it wasnt.

Third, the hand wash and dry is very eco friendly. Especially with cold water. I wash my clothes in the tub with cold water and hang them to dry most of the time.

I'm not going to even try to argue with you about why people find laundry interesting. Its another chore to do in the sims. We do it in real life all the time.

But people want to be self centered and entitled and think a vote was rigged just because they didnt get what they wanted, and then attack other simmerss because we voted for what WE found interesting.

It is a 10 dollar pack, there will be plenty more. If you dont like it then dont buy it, and stop attacking people who do.

First of all, yes, he did get people whipped up to do laundry before the stuff pack was announced. Just because it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't mean it's true.

Third, when was I attacking you? If you think any criticism of the pack is an attack on you, then that's on you. It's your life - if you want to be self-centered and entitled and think anybody who doesn't hold your point of view is attacking you, don't complain because not everybody agrees with you.

I'm sure you can find plenty of people who agree with you (the forums are free!), but not everybody will. If you don't like it, don't read it, and stop attacking people who don't hold your opinion.

I literally said in the post that you quoted that I hand wash my clothes. I dont own a washer and dryer.

And never said YOU specificAlly were attacking people. But yes, there are people doing so. Going around telling people that they cant believe they voted for such a pack, and that they must love watching paint dry too.

Again, he never told people "vote for laundry". He was replying to a user who asked ahout laundry and said "we have no plans for laundry in the futire. If youd like a pack on laundry then you need to make some noise" which we did.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    a_niles06a_niles06 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Washing clothes in a tub is just glorifying poverty. It seems a bit cruel.

Can we please not with this? I am in no way rich but I'm not at poverty level either and I still have plenty of things I hand wash because they're too delicate to put into machines or have special beading/designs on them that my machines would ruin. My mom hand washes some of her blankets just because she loves how fresh they smell after hanging outside to dry on a beautiful spring day. Some people hand wash things to scrub out a stain. Some people just like doing it by hand because they feel they can clean it better than a machine. Some people just like the busy work of it. Let's not generalize. Washing clothes by hand doesn't "glorify poverty" - it doesn't say anything about poverty. Period.

Having said that, I do agree that this pack is not where I initially thought the voting was heading. I'm all for the laundry aspect so I'm excited for it, but I didn't expect it to be the focus of the pack which is why I didn't vote for the eco living pack. It wasn't that I didn't want the cool off the grid options, solar panels, whatever else. They just weren't "must have" features for me. If they had just marketed it as its own option to vote for, I might have voted for it because I want the laundry feature back. But when I saw "eco living" and saw the other potential areas of interest, I didn't think that they were going to break it down and basically abandon all of the other eco friendly features they listed.

I do recall, however, that there was a vote on featured gameplay content and laundry was an option along with off the grid living, canning/preserves and one other one I can't recall. So while I do understand why some people are disappointed that this didn't turn out how they'd hoped, there was a vote for it - clearly more people voted for laundry than for those other options. I think the bigger mistake here wasn't the voting itself, it was including the laundry option in the vote at all. I understand that the hand washing and line drying are eco friendly, but the rest of it really isn't - the other 3 options were all truly eco friendly in every aspect of the featured content, not just one small piece like this one seems to be. They were more what I anticipated the pack would become, hence why I didn't vote for that pack. I loved the whole voting process and thought it was cool to be involved and get to have a say in styles I wanted to see in game, so I'd love to see that come back sometime. But I agree - I think putting a feature that was apparently so heavily requested and didn't really fit the theme into this pack ended up being a bad move. Of course people are going to vote for the feature they KNOW they love and they KNOW they want back. I don't think the other options really stood a chance.
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Second, no it wasnt.

I literally said in the post that you quoted that I hand wash my clothes. I dont own a washer and dryer.

And never said YOU specificAlly were attacking people. But yes, there are people doing so. Going around telling people that they cant believe they voted for such a pack, and that they must love watching paint dry too.

Again, he never told people "vote for laundry". He was replying to a user who asked ahout laundry and said "we have no plans for laundry in the futire. If youd like a pack on laundry then you need to make some noise" which we did.

Kind of correct @Zeldaboy180. Graham said on the 6th September 2016 on Twitter that “he would love to make a laundry pack and we would need to make some noise in that one”

I can’t link the tweet as I’m on mobile but if you search it it comes up. Obviously this was before the community stuff pack process began. So he did get people whipped up but this was before the process started. I remember on sims Facebook groups and on here at the time people were very excited at the prospect.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Oh, and make noise you did! Sure laundry is nice and all for people who care to buy it, but did you have to morph the original concept of Eco Living into Laundry?

When I think of Eco Living, I think of solar powered home objects, electric cars, recycling, compost, conserving energy/water usage, and generally living a natural home life, with minimal environmental impact/carbon footprint. What I don't think of Eco Living is dirty laundry and washing machines.

City Living would've been great for laundry machines to implement instead of a talking toilet, but they missed out on so much with that EP regardless.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Oh, and make noise you did! Sure laundry is nice and all for people who care to buy it, but did you have to morph the original concept of Eco Living into Laundry?

When I think of Eco Living, I think of solar powered home objects, electric cars, recycling, compost, conserving energy/water usage, and generally living a natural home life, with minimal environmental impact/carbon footprint. What I don't think of Eco Living is dirty laundry and washing machines.

City Living would've been great for laundry machines to implement instead of a talking toilet, but they missed out on so much with that EP regardless.

Erm I didn’t make any noise, I didn’t want laundry in a stuff pack.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member

It's a sham because we were voting for an eco friendly themed pack, NOT a laundry pack.
    If it had been called a laundry pack from the start, we would have had the opportunity to vote for other things.

You do realize this is how the actual dev process is correct? They big a broad subject and then narrow it down to a more focused one.

We were also aware laundry would be a possibility if we picked eco living from day 1, so its not a sham just because your vote didnt win.

It's amazing how you seem to be conveniently ignoring my reply to your first comment... this pack was originally announced to be an Eco Living AND Laundry stuff pack... but there's absolutely nothing in this pack that's even related to Eco Living.

No it wasnt. It was labelled as an eco friendly pack, with laundry as a possible area of focus, as well as many others.

And the wash tub and dryer are eco friendly, like it or not.
    there's absolutely nothing in this pack that's even related to Eco Living.
    This.

If they were going to include some eco friendly laundry related stuff, they could at least have included the pedal powered washing machine. Washing clothes in a tub is just glorifying poverty. It seems a bit cruel.

And to keep in the theme of eco, they could have also included a composter. Half the animation for it comes from putting garbage/scraps in bin, so it's not as though it would have been a lot of work animation wise, only a bit of rejigging plant growth stuff.

And solar panels. Outwardly little more than decor, but with a little tweek, they could have lowered your utility bills.

Wash tubs and hangers ARE eco friendly. And they are still very common, especially in the south.

I hand wash my clothes, despite being literally 20 feet from my apartments laundromat. Guess that makes me povershed. :|

I have a serious question regarding handwashing. If you leave wet clothes too long in the washer, they get a gross mildewy smell. So how does handwashing and drying without a dryer prevent this smell?
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    If you forget the washing in the machine while busy doing other things it will sit there and get that smell true
    If your hand washing your focused more and once finished scrubbing hang it up immediately so it drys
    Your not preoccupied on other things
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member

It's a sham because we were voting for an eco friendly themed pack, NOT a laundry pack.
    If it had been called a laundry pack from the start, we would have had the opportunity to vote for other things.

You do realize this is how the actual dev process is correct? They big a broad subject and then narrow it down to a more focused one.

We were also aware laundry would be a possibility if we picked eco living from day 1, so its not a sham just because your vote didnt win.

It's amazing how you seem to be conveniently ignoring my reply to your first comment... this pack was originally announced to be an Eco Living AND Laundry stuff pack... but there's absolutely nothing in this pack that's even related to Eco Living.

No it wasnt. It was labelled as an eco friendly pack, with laundry as a possible area of focus, as well as many others.

This.

If they were going to include some eco friendly laundry related stuff, they could at least have included the pedal powered washing machine. Washing clothes in a tub is just glorifying poverty. It seems a bit cruel.

And to keep in the theme of eco, they could have also included a composter. Half the animation for it comes from putting garbage/scraps in bin, so it's not as though it would have been a lot of work animation wise, only a bit of rejigging plant growth stuff.

And solar panels. Outwardly little more than decor, but with a little tweek, they could have lowered your utility bills.

Wash tubs and hangers ARE eco friendly. And they are still very common, especially in the south.

I hand wash my clothes, despite being literally 20 feet from my apartments laundromat. Guess that makes me povershed. :|

I have a serious question regarding handwashing. If you leave wet clothes too long in the washer, they get a gross mildewy smell. So how does handwashing and drying without a dryer prevent this smell?

Leaving the clothes all bunched up and wet in the washer allows them to develop mildew. When you wring out your clothes and hang them, they begin drying immediately. If there is a nice breeze, they dry even faster.
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member

This.

Leaving the clothes all bunched up and wet in the washer allows them to develop mildew. When you wring out your clothes and hang them, they begin drying immediately. If there is a nice breeze, they dry even faster.

Oh I see. That makes sense.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    The Eco-Living theme won because it listed laundry.

If in the original vote, there had been a Eco-Living theme, and then separately, a laundry-themed pack to vote on, I bet laundry would have won.

Most people weren't voting for eco-living, they were indeed voting for laundry.

So, it wasn't really rigged. It was just that the two ideas were conflated into the one theme.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Wet clothes in a washer, are in an enclosed space, they don't have a chance to dry out, and the warm damp conditions are what is needed for bacteria to grow.

Wringing clothes out by hand can be as effective as being spun out by a washing machine, and a clothes line tends to be outside, allowing sun and air to dry the clothes. Also, uv light can help to kill bacteria. Clothes that have dried on a line, on a warm sunny day, will always smell nicer than clothes dried in a drier.

In many poorer parts of the world, hand washing and line drying is the only way anyone gets clean clothes.

a_niles06 wrote: »
    Let's not generalize. Washing clothes by hand doesn't "glorify poverty" - it doesn't say anything about poverty. Period.
    In the context, in using a tub on the ground, and a washboard, in a modern setting, says poverty.
    Perhaps it's a sign of our cultural differences.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    @MidnightAura Sorry that wasn't directed towards you, it was a general statement on my end. :)

But I do agree with @Pegasys and that this pack became laundry because people clearly were heading for wanting laundry and voted as such. It would have been a different picture if Laundry was separated as another stuff pack. The people voted, and so shall you receive...
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    Another question should be, what part of this pack is supposed to be exciting?

'cause its not
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    ElenPink wrote: »
    Another question should be, what part of this pack is supposed to be exciting?

'cause its not

It's for people who find the idea of doing virtual laundry exciting(?)
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Laundry was part of the description of Eco-living pack form the very beginning. I actually don't think Eco-living would have won without the mention of laundry but we'll never know. I didn't vote for either but it was what won. I still enjoyed the process, and would like another community pack.

Pretty much, the only reason the eco living theme won the vote, is because laundry was part of the description for it.
  • Options
    NiLLANiLLA Posts: 514 Member
    wow everyone should chill. Its just laundry, they're putting more stuff packs out in the future and whos to say they wont do the voting thing again? I was disappointed they didnt have solar panels because I think it'd cut down on the bills. Would have been a great opportunity. Looking forward to making my boys teenage slobs :D
    Been playing The Sims since 2001. Mother to a beautiful girl.
    scdwkk.png
  • Options
    ElokaEloka Posts: 184 Member
    Who is to say we wont end up getting all of them and this was just the first? Or am I just an optimist?
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Eloka wrote: »
    Who is to say we wont end up getting all of them and this was just the first? Or am I just an optimist?

Sorry all I heard you say was "who is to say EA won't charge a total of $40 instead of $10 for this"...
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    ElokaEloka Posts: 184 Member
    Eloka wrote: »

Sorry all I heard you say was "who is to say EA won't charge a total of $40 instead of $10 for this"...

This has always been the way with the sims games unfortunately and they have said stuff packs now replace the store, so it can hardly be a shock.
  • Options
    lrnblsm98lrnblsm98 Posts: 51 Member
    In Sims 3 laundry was so annoying I never used it, waste of money :(
  • Options
    HeyitsmesierraHeyitsmesierra Posts: 70 Member
    Can we just be thankful that we got laundry stuff? I mean we got a lot of new items and they may come out with something like eco living for those who wanted it. I feel like we give shame to the people that created the game that we all love so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top