Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best time to have a baby?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,945 Member
    As soos as they get married. The reason behind this is because in The Sims 2, when a teen becomes an adult, their parents are already elders. If sims have a baby when their aging bar is in the middle, the parents have already died by old age. University expansion pack solved it, giving us an ability to have our teen go to college and become a young adult at any time. Now I use aging off cheat before them having a baby...
    However, in The Sims 4, if sim haves a baby as soon as they become young adults, they'll still be adults when their children age all grown up. However, that habit from The Sims 2 stays, but sims doesn't get married as soon as they become young adults like they did in TS2.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,703 Member
    When I was playing Pinstar's Legacy Challenge, the couple would "try for baby" on their wedding night. With my other saves I play in a similar manner. Oftentimes, it's family play that I enjoy. Without having the pitter-patter of little feet in the household, I grow bored. With my ancestral game save, I try to follow in their footsteps. My sixth great-grandparents were married in 1761, at ages 15 and just 16 (yes, he was young). Their first child arrived in March of 1763, his brother in 1764, and another brother in 1766. (Once you learn how to turn on the faucet … .) By 1780, she gave birth to their tenth child, but died of complications shortly thereafter. (Yes, I have a mod that will allow for such an enormous household. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. The closeness in ages means I'll have anywhere from 1-3 toddlers at a time.) :worried:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    Interesting question!
    In my game, it depends on the mood I;m in. If I have a dynasty sim from whom I want to ensure genetics continue, then they become an early priority, but if not, it's not such a big deal. They might not have kids, or they might have one later in life. One of my favourite couples recently didn't meet till both were adults and still had and raised successfully four children (no twins). For some reason my game has also increased its randomisation of twins lately, so I have one set of vampire twin girls who are actually identical and one set of human boy twins who are not identical and that can derail family plans, though I quite like twins in general.

With vampire families, it really doesn't matter. I mean, my Grand Master sim is over 200 days now. He's had eight kids and in all cases where the mother was a human, she's long since died of old age. But I didn't know which of his kids would be his heir until children 5 and 6 came into the equation. By that point he was already a grandfather :/ Vampires totally mess up things like normal generations ;)

I also have a lot of random non-nuclear families in my game. I have adopted kids, kids being fostered by kinsfolk, single parent families, gay couples with surrogate children, and so on and so forth. And those things tend to happen whenever I feel the story needs it to. My sim kids have a club which means they all get to know each other at a young age, and that helps going forward for later relationships, making it sometimes easy to have a sim marry a childhood sweetheart. The only issue is that the vampire kids and human kids all go to club together and that makes it more interesting later on...

So no set time frame. Depends when it feels right for that sim.
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    kemisz wrote: »
    I wait until they both roll the Try for a Baby whim.

Sometimes I wait. Other times I do not wait
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i'm writing a legacy. and this time i'm trying to write a backstory .which is supposed to mean no kids.

but my sims had other ideas. sometimes saying get off her its not time yet doesn't work.
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    i'm writing a legacy. and this time i'm trying to write a backstory .which is supposed to mean no kids.

but my sims had other ideas. sometimes saying get off her its not time yet doesn't work.

I had a sim that was unflirty and didn't want to meet anyone. I tried so hard to get her a boyfriend and picked a lovely boy for her. Guess what she did? Picked the guy who was her next door neighbour who was a elder. They both got married and then he died straight after the marriage.
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,553 Member
    well as aplayer who keeps aging off I make the family in create a sim from the start
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    I've always done it ASAP so they can see their grandkids and sometimes great-grandkids grow up.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    I usually either decide a couple/single is going to have kids, or decide they're not, and play accordingly; if they're going to have them I don't bother waiting, just start the process asap. If one of my non-kids households has them it's usually because 1. I got bored and had them try for baby impulsively; 2. they seemed really incomplete without kids; or 3. risky woohoo kicked in. #3 is how Caleb Vatore ended up fathering 11 children in my rotational save before I got desperate and set him and his partner both to "no offspring." (And not a multiple birth among them!)
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    With the addition of toddlers, I now make my Sims have babies earlier so that there will be relationships with grandparents, & I don't want the parents to be elders still raising kids.
  • Options
    Queen_KordeiliaQueen_Kordeilia Posts: 24 Member
    The night of the wedding.
  • Options
    kmarks0707kmarks0707 Posts: 37 Member
    I typically do it early right after the wedding (or before depending on the story)...I have waited with some sims until adult, because I wanted to build the nursery of my dreams :D
  • Options
    megalodonsimmermegalodonsimmer Posts: 150 Member
    It depends on the sim for me, if I've made them very career driven or they're in a position where they may not want children right away, I wail until the adult stage to actually try for baby (I do use risky woohoo, so sometimes the babies come unexpectedly). Or if they're family oriented or are otherwise motivated to have kids young I try sooner. It's all about story and timing for me.
    FaUPP49.jpg
    EA Origin ID: megalodonlive
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,447 Member
    I usually married them off quickly, about a week after starting as YA and then try for a baby the first night. But now I'm planning to change this for my next few games. Just to test how to max out careers, own restaurants, go camping,... without the need of a babysit. I think I will switch aging off until my sim is ready to get married.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited December 2017
    I've always heard that the night time is the right time to...you know...

That's really all I have to contribute. I'll just see myself out.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Before I used to wait a few days after I had a couple get married and then they'd start trying to have kids. And then once that child grew up to the child stage then we'd try again. Lately though, I've been taking my time with deciding wether or not my sims should have more kids. It's crazy for me because I'm huge on family play so having big families is essential to me. Like in one save, my sims already have a little girl but I want them to have a boy as well. I'm still debating if I want for them to even have anymore kids or if they should just stick with one child. Plus they already have a cat and a dog running around the house and they're a handful already.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    robyngravesrobyngraves Posts: 248 Member
    kemisz wrote: »
    I wait until they both roll the Try for a Baby whim.

Same here!