Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lets talk about those pesky bills

So weather it's real life or sims we all have bills to pay. Now I am still not sure how bills are done in sims 4, if any one knows the math for this please let me know. I know they come on Monday at 9am and get high quickly, I mean I am not even into my 2nd generation and I am at $5,000 a week. One family I play is like $15,000 a week. I came up with kind of a fun little thing however for bills, and would love some input on it. So here it goes, when bills come into your house lets say you don't have the funds to pay them a timer would start like an event until you you get your lights and water shut off. Now you can go to your mail box and request a payment arrangement, for every 100 you pay you get an extra hour on the lights and water not being shut off until you pay in full or you have used up say 3 arrangements lol. I know it's just a game but hey they seem to like to make this very real life might be fun.

Comments

• Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    I'd prefer if sims could get an official loan (besides the "ask for a loan" interaction) and then they would have a certain amount of time to pay it back with interest. I think it would be a nice option for those players who are struggling with money but don't want to cheat. Personally, I like that bills are way higher. I always hated how quickly you can get rich in sims games simply because you would get promoted so quickly. I like that TS4 is not like that and you can remain in the same career level if you want. But you can earn money rather quickly by just collecting items and fishing for example.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    @frogkiss1

Your bills in the Sims are $5000 to $15000? How? When I play, I use auto lights on all which helps to not make the bills so high. My bills might be $3000 at the most and that is in my 5 generation legacy. I normally can make enough just by foraging the (harvesting plants, rummaging the garbages, collecting frogs, or diging the rocks/boxes for items. Although, I never allow my households to have less than $2000 at any given time either.

IRL we live on a budget, so bills are never paid late. We also know know where our money is going before we get paid.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    First off, they aren't calculated in any way close to RL. If your electric company, for instance, charged you for the stuff in your wallets/purses (in this case it's what's in your Sims' inventories) we'd all get angry, pretty quickly. Why should the game consider what the Sims' have in their personal inventories, or even the family inventory, for that matter? I agree that the size of the house should have something to do with it. I've experienced in RL, that the larger one's abode, the more electricity (and gas,too) is used. As for being able to structure a payment method, I do like that idea. What I ended up doing in my Legacy Challenge game, since those kinds of cheats simply go against the rules, was to slowly dismantle the third floor "apartment" I'd created for the heir and his little family to live in, until he became the head of the household. That family was also highly adept at harvesting the wild plants around them to sell. And the boys (my heir-apparent, who was yet a teen, and his two younger brothers who were children) at the time of their parents' passing (the couple died on the very same Sim day, just hours apart) already had the lights turned off. Seems my Founder found money in his bank account, forgetting it was earmarked for the upcoming bills and made some additions to the old homestead. :open_mouth: Come the mail, he didn't have what it took to make the payment. Before he could get his next check, he'd run out of time. I do like that fact that in this game, the repo man doesn't just show up and take your toilet when you default on a bill. Losing the lights and/or the water is exactly what happens if you miss your payment to the Utilities companies.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    If I remember right, bills are calcualted by what furnishings are on the lot. You then add in the personal inventory of every sim on the lot, plus what is in the family inventory in the build/buy section.

Fruits, paintings increase in value. If you have a lot of the higher quality fruits and/or masterpiece paintings ... it does add up. I would say de-clutter your inventory and your family inventory and see what the bills are like then.

I also try to get my sims to have the frugal trait, and I believe there is a reward you can just buy with aspiration points for a bill reduction. I can't check cause I am building a house and don't have a family loaded.
  • Options
    LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    In my households that live on large lots, my bills are around 30,000-40,000 or more. I cheat to make my sims millionaires though, so they can afford it.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • Options
    gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    edited November 2017
    I would love to see an incorporation of some sort of home loan payoff feature and weekly bill refinement in the game mechanics. Kind of like a monetary-type feature embedded within some sort of content pack or update. My bill is currently hovering around 4500/wk.
  • Options
    PlagueRavenPlagueRaven Posts: 52 Member
    I have to agree with a couple of people on this-- I've never run into the actual problem of not being able to pay my bills, and my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Sim family (plus dog) both have no actual jobs and they both work independently selling novels and music. They haven't had "careers" in probably a year. In fact, they household income is so high that I have to come up with new ways for them to spend their money. Bills are just a way to make you manage what you should and shouldn't buy (kind of like reality). If you can't afford to have a 1500 Simolean TV.... you just don't buy that TV, then you save money. If you run into the problem where your bills are breaking you, it's probably because you can't afford the lifestyle you live in.

Also, auto-lights, as someone else mentioned.

Now, this might be a good idea if, like in real life, bills have late fees and they go way up if you don't pay on time. If you forget to pay, maybe they should be doubled, or something. They're not doubled in real life, but late fees [i]are[/i] a thing. They certainly aren't in Sims 4, though. It would be interesting to see.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I agree.. we need more realistic options for the bills here. I would like to see sims that actually could get really homeless and beg on the streets.. wasnt there something like that in ts2? Or was it just a render. Anyway, its not scary enough. There is nothing to play for like this. We need more struggle.

I like the fact that the electricity gets cut off, that is a very good addition to the game. I hate how all the other lots seem to know you dont pay your bills. Well, thats just weird. It would make stories more interesting if you have to take a shower at the gym or make friends just to use their shower and get kicked out, cause its 'rude'.

I like the idea of getting an loan mentioned above. Many times i cant afford 80% of the houses i build with basis needs. Who wants to start with a ugle 🐸🐸🐸🐸 house all the time? The loan would depent on your job and position and how much you make. If you own retail, it would be an average of you weekly salary or something.

It is kind of weird too if you live in a rich household where your parents made a few thousand a day and then when you move out, u start with 20.000??? Why can't you just jiggle some money around and put an amount of certain sims in the household, so when they move out, they can buy a house they actually worked for.. or their parents paid for :p
    I have actually mentioned the household bank system before where if you click on each sim and the money of the household, you can see how each sims own or transfer money on their name from one to another. Would work great with roommates too!

I would like to see the bills get divided into electricity and water. Maybe you own a household that lives all natural without electronics, so the bills would be realistically lower. It will get more fun to control on what you will try to save money of you are in trouble.

It seems the bills are still calculated with the amount of stuff u own.. not very accurate i must say. Hope they will look into this.

• Options
    frogkiss1frogkiss1 Posts: 248 Member
    I love where this is going....Late fees loans I LOVE IT!!!
  • Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    I agree.. we need more realistic options for the bills here. I would like to see sims that actually could get really homeless and beg on the streets.. wasnt there something like that in ts2? Or was it just a render. Anyway, its not scary enough. There is nothing to play for like this. We need more struggle.

I like the fact that the electricity gets cut off, that is a very good addition to the game. I hate how all the other lots seem to know you dont pay your bills. Well, thats just weird. It would make stories more interesting if you have to take a shower at the gym or make friends just to use their shower and get kicked out, cause its 'rude'.

I like the idea of getting an loan mentioned above. Many times i cant afford 80% of the houses i build with basis needs. Who wants to start with a ugle plum house all the time? The loan would depent on your job and position and how much you make. If you own retail, it would be an average of you weekly salary or something.

It is kind of weird too if you live in a rich household where your parents made a few thousand a day and then when you move out, u start with 20.000??? Why can't you just jiggle some money around and put an amount of certain sims in the household, so when they move out, they can buy a house they actually worked for.. or their parents paid for :p
    I have actually mentioned the household bank system before where if you click on each sim and the money of the household, you can see how each sims own or transfer money on their name from one to another. Would work great with roommates too!

I would like to see the bills get divided into electricity and water. Maybe you own a household that lives all natural without electronics, so the bills would be realistically lower. It will get more fun to control on what you will try to save money of you are in trouble.

It seems the bills are still calculated with the amount of stuff u own.. not very accurate i must say. Hope they will look into this.

When my sims move out after they become young adults I load up their inventories with the expensive violin over and over until they have whatever I feel they should have. After they are on their new lot, I sell the violins. Boom, insta influx of legitimate cash.
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    LilMissSam has a ATM mod that adds interest
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=595100
  • Options
    kmarks0707kmarks0707 Posts: 37 Member
    > @Gruffman said:
    > If I remember right, bills are calcualted by what furnishings are on the lot. You then add in the personal inventory of every sim on the lot, plus what is in the family inventory in the build/buy section.
    >
    > Fruits, paintings increase in value. If you have a lot of the higher quality fruits and/or masterpiece paintings ... it does add up. I would say de-clutter your inventory and your family inventory and see what the bills are like then.
    >
    > I also try to get my sims to have the frugal trait, and I believe there is a reward you can just buy with aspiration points for a bill reduction. I can't check cause I am building a house and don't have a family loaded.

Wait! Are you telling me that my fruits in my sims inventory, from bountiful garden, which she grew to feed her family nutrient rich foods....is why my bills jumped from $700 to $5000 in a cycle?? I couldn't freaking believe it when I saw the last set of bills...the added veggies and fruits in her inventory is the only change...that's it everyone is going back to eating cereal and chicken nuggets :D
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    frogkiss1 wrote: »
    So weather it's real life or sims we all have bills to pay. Now I am still not sure how bills are done in sims 4, if any one knows the math for this please let me know. I know they come on Monday at 9am and get high quickly, I mean I am not even into my 2nd generation and I am at $5,000 a week. One family I play is like $15,000 a week. I came up with kind of a fun little thing however for bills, and would love some input on it. So here it goes, when bills come into your house lets say you don't have the funds to pay them a timer would start like an event until you you get your lights and water shut off. Now you can go to your mail box and request a payment arrangement, for every 100 you pay you get an extra hour on the lights and water not being shut off until you pay in full or you have used up say 3 arrangements lol. I know it's just a game but hey they seem to like to make this very real life might be fun.

I have a household that I made struggle (I didn't allow them to make any extra money doing hobbies, their only income was from their chosen job). I had two adults and two children who were a toddler and baby. I had fun making them earn money for bills. I mean they really struggled, especially since only one parent was bringing in a decent income. They really should make earning money harder, it would make the game more of a challenge.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »
    frogkiss1 wrote: »

I have a household that I made struggle (I didn't allow them to make any extra money doing hobbies, their only income was from their chosen job). I had two adults and two children who were a toddler and baby. I had fun making them earn money for bills. I mean they really struggled, especially since only one parent was bringing in a decent income. They really should make earning money harder, it would make the game more of a challenge.

It was. The job requirements for promotion were a lot different when the game was first released. But the players complained that the game was too hard and too grindy. The careers got nerfed down to what we have now in the game.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Simsweetie wrote: »

I like the idea of getting an loan mentioned above. Many times i cant afford 80% of the houses i build with basis needs. Who wants to start with a ugle plum house all the time? The loan would depent on your job and position and how much you make. If you own retail, it would be an average of you weekly salary or something.

When my sims move out after they become young adults I load up their inventories with the expensive violin over and over until they have whatever I feel they should have. After they are on their new lot, I sell the violins. Boom, insta influx of legitimate cash.

yeah I just use the money cheat and let them buy a house they can afford for free. Then take that amount of the main household they came from and add some acceptable money on their bank as well. And that will also be taken from the previous household. Its too much of a hassle and it doesnt make the game feel real to me. I never feel their family bought the house for them as intend to or that they used their own save ups to buy a home.
  • Options
    bonobas13bonobas13 Posts: 38 Member
    > @NorthDakotaGamer said:
    > @frogkiss1
    >
    > Your bills in the Sims are $5000 to $15000? How? When I play, I use auto lights on all which helps to not make the bills so high. My bills might be $3000 at the most and that is in my 5 generation legacy. I normally can make enough just by foraging the (harvesting plants, rummaging the garbages, collecting frogs, or diging the rocks/boxes for items. Although, I never allow my households to have less than $2000 at any given time either.
    >
    > IRL we live on a budget, so bills are never paid late. We also know know where our money is going before we get paid.

My bills get to 15000 too... :-(
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I just motherlode the bills away.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    bonobas13 wrote: »
    >

My bills get to 15000 too... :-(

I guess I do not use the electronics much. I also do not purchase the most expensive items in game. I like to also keep the inventory minimal.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

If you have kids and Pets you need a Tax break on Rent, Because we need nannies. To take care of the kids while we are at work. and because we are to stress out after work to care for our kids and Pets properly.
    Also, your Butler salary should be deducted because you need it for health reason, If they do not cook for you, you could starve to death.
    So If the cost of your Nanny + your Butler = More then your rent payment, then the power supply company should send you a check instead.
    It's only fair. :)
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    bonobas13bonobas13 Posts: 38 Member
    > @NorthDakotaGamer said:
    > bonobas13 wrote: »
    >
    > >
    >
    > My bills get to 15000 too... :-(
    >
    >
    > I guess I do not use the electronics much. I also do not purchase the most expensive items in game. I like to also keep the inventory minimal.

That's will be probably the point. My family is just the opposite. But I have a good income, so bills don't bother my sims! :) :)