Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't change dog size in CAP?

I was trying to make my RL dog, and I made the mistake of using a small dog size as a base. When I tried to correct the problem, it seems that the option isn't there. I've already done his markings and sculpting, so I'd have to redo them if I were to select a premade large breed.

Is there really no way to change a small dog to a big one in CAP?
Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I went into Sims 3 and checked, and apparently it's the same. It seems like a very weird thing to leave out all these years. Although the size of your dog is less obvious in Sims 4's CAP because of the single-color background, so I hadn't realized that I was using a small dog as a base. :\
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    That's what The Sims 2 did right... (In there, you can choose the dog's size before choosing a breed).
    Right now, the only option is to choose a smaller breed and start over again.
  • Options
    Oh well. I do like how he turned out anyway, so maybe I'll just leave it at that.

• Options
    I'm not sure if this it how it would work in game, but what if you had your dog breed with another big dog from the breed mixer? you should be able to eventually get the right markings and stuff, if the CAP livestream still holds today.
    Also, does the paint go away when you select a different breed? Because if it doesn't, you can select the new breed and find his old coat in the patterns section, I think.
  • Options
    HelkkuliHelkkuli Posts: 92 Member
    I'm making dog breeds that we don't have in the game and sometimes I would like to use a smaller dog as a base for a bigger dog. Also I don't get why some ears (I'm not sure if it's same with tails and fur styles) are limited by size. I mean I love those papillon ears and would definately give them for a big dog if I could.
    14453827.jpg

CHECK OUT MY CELEBRITY LOOK A LIKE SIMS AND DOG BREEDS FROM MY INSTAGRAM @anomitesplayssims

My origin id is anomites
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    The size is based on the breed. You don't say what breed your dog is, so it's difficult to give you advise on what to do. But it seems that you need to pick a big dog breed and start from there. For example: if your dog looked like a Beagle but was as big as a Great Dane, I would pick a big dog that looked (shape-wise) like a big beagle and change it's color to a beagle in "COATS/TEXTURES".
  • Options
    PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    edited November 2017
    Dogs and cats can inherit the markings you paint onto their parents in paint mode (like, exact same markings.) Mix the genes of your version of your dog that you already created and a big dog and keep doing so in CAS until you get a big dog with the same markings.
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • Options
    Helkkuli wrote: »
    I'm making dog breeds that we don't have in the game and sometimes I would like to use a smaller dog as a base for a bigger dog. Also I don't get why some ears (I'm not sure if it's same with tails and fur styles) are limited by size. I mean I love those papillon ears and would definately give them for a big dog if I could.

I noticed too. The ears I used for my dog don't seem to be available for big breeds, which is odd. So I might not be able to make him accurately as a large dog anyway.

• Options
    And yeah, I thought of using genetics to transfer the markings to a bigger dog, but I'd still have to tweak a lot of things if I did that. Not exactly a trivial task.

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Oh well. I do like how he turned out anyway, so maybe I'll just leave it at that.
    Send your sim to the npc vet. There you can buy a treat to age him up to an adult.
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Send your sim to the npc vet. There you can buy a treat to age him up to an adult.

Oh, I was talking about size, not age. Thanks though. :D

• Options
    LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    No need to mess with genetics, just go to the race panel and change it. Your custom painting will pass over.
  • Options
    Livinity wrote: »
    No need to mess with genetics, just go to the race panel and change it. Your custom painting will pass over.

Yeah, that worked. :) I was at least able to transfer the marks when I redid my dog as a large dog. And I was pretty satisfied with the result. But I would've liked it better if you could just toggle the size, and if all ear shapes were available to both sizes.
    Vm10JLg.jpg

And here's a picture of him IRL. It's hard to get him to stay still when the humans are nearby, so most photos are blurry. :D
    ARg6OAN.jpg

• Options
    DarthAsianKarenDarthAsianKaren Posts: 30 Member
    > @icmnfrsh I just found a dog height slider mod that might help if you are interested in using mods: https://www.simsdom.com/en/download/the-sims4/item/dog-size-height-slider-by-pixelpfote-147291