Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Sim Self" frustrations!!!

So I'm sure we've all made ourselves in the sims. Well, I've attempted to make my sim self many, many times and can never get her to look just right! For starters, I'm a huge perfectionist when it comes to making a sim that is supposed to be a real person. And especially if it's my sim self, I mean it's gotta be identical. I'll spend HOURS tweaking every last little thing on the face, show someone who knows me, and hear "oh, that looks nothing like you." :neutral: It drives me crazy! I think the part that frustrates me the most and leaves me unsatisfied even with a sim that RESEMBLES myself is that I know CAS will allow me to make myself to the T, with all of the customization and whatnot, so it's like I absolutely have to get it right!

Does anyone else find it insanely difficult to make yourself?!
tumblr_olomnw8E5c1ug9tk9o2_500.gif

Comments

• Options
    PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    I can't make myself. :'( I need to try again, as I hadn't tried since we just had the base game. It might be a bit easier with more hairstyles. ;) Still, that won't help me make my face correctly! :D
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    i know the feeling my icon is my simself but she still a little off
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I've tried making my identical self with no success, I think part of it is because I don't think the game has a proper pre-set eye to match my eye shape and shading, I have very distinct European eyes. But everything else I get pretty much spot on, my head shape/size, distance of my facial features from each other, my face profile, my eyes, nose, and lip shape, etc.
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    My icon here is my Sim self here and everyone says that he looks just like me :smiley:
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    My icon is my simself, and she doesn't look much like me. XD Whatever we do, most people are not anywhere near as symmetrical as sims, so it just looks strange. There are also a couple things you actually can't really reproduce, such as irregular nose shapes. So basically, I've given up. XD I figure I'll settle with the general look thanks to hairstyle, glasses and clothes choice, and accept that I'm just not going to the complete opposite of my facial features and that will suffice.
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    Don’t feel too bad, it’s literally impossible to make a sim self that looks identical to you. All faces are asymmetrical. Your right eye is shaped just a little differently from your left, your right nostril is a little wider than your left, your left brow arches a little more upward than the right...you get the idea. It’s part of the reason why having a “good side” in photographs is actually a true thing to a degree.

Your paired features are not identical or entirely symmetrical is the bottom line, and Sims have completely symmetrical faces and features. Truth be told, the best you could ever accomplish with a sim self is getting one side of your face accurately represented.

I personally just picked my “good side” and made my sim self based on those features. She looks like an idealized version of me, one that never has bed head or red eyes from allergies, and certainly never has a single pimple on her porcelain skin. But enough like me to work as a stand in. I mean, I have a lot more personality traits outside of being Good, a Bookworm, and Romantic too, but we can’t have everything.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    I can't make myself either cuz I kinda look different in every picture I take. :D So I don't even know how I truly look like in real life.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    We tend to see ourselves differently than others see us. We are with us constantly so things that may seem small to others might seem huge to us and things we no longer notice anymore may stand out to others. Feelings tend to hold influence to how we see one another too those feelings softening or sharpening the images presented to us in the other person. The physical isn't perceived as solidly universal as we might think.

I suggest that since you are creating the sim for your own benefit you should make it as you see yourself. If it is really important to you that it looks to others like they see you then sit with your friend while you create it so they can give their input.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    For my simself in TS4, I placed mirrors next to my computer screen and kept looking at my face from different angles while I was recreating it in the game. That way I could always see which part had to be made bigger, smaller, thinner, whatever. The result isn't perfect, but good enough that everyone I showed a screenshot without explanation immediately recognised me there.

It worked for me because I'm a very visual person when it comes to things like this. I cannot recreate faces from memory, but if I have a picture to look at, or better yet, a rotatable 3D model, it's a lot easier.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It was not too difficult to make my simself household, but I am also not an ultra perfectionist. I looked at a family portrait, and made myself, my 3 daughters, and my husband. It just took me about 2 hours. Only thing now is they are sitting in my library, waiting for our pet birds.
  • Options
    PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    My first ever Sim I made was my Simself back when the CAS demo was released before the actual game came out. I didn't try to make her look like me at all though. I gave her the longest hair they had, made it brown, and gave her blue eyes, and picked out clothes that resembled things I'd wear in real life, and gave her my first name. That to me was my perfect Simself. (Then I gave her a husband based off one of my favorite professional wrestlers and two twin daughters, but not the point lol!)

I know I could never 100% recreate myself; my face is definitely not symmetrical and always has acne, my one foot turns out when I walk, my spine sticks out a bit, things like that. And those aren't things I even wanna give my Simself tbh. I just make a Sim I like and say, "This is me!" And I can definitely understand being a perfectionist when it comes to how your Simself looks (I'm a perfectionist in general), but if you make a Sim that represents you and others say they can't see it, just point out all the things that make it just like you, because if you know you definitely see yourself in that Sim, eventually others will too.
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
  • Options
    KuroiKuroi Posts: 137 Member
    Well, I think too that one problem is the already mentioned natural asymmetry of our faces and that other people see you differently than you see yourself. You know your face mainly from the mirror - but the mirror shows it inverted. That has a big influence on how you see yourself. Furthermore you need "the eye", to be a visual person, to actually see what someone looks like - without interpreting too much. That's why I'm convinced that artists who are good at portraying people are also able to make Sims that look very much like their real models.

I also tried to make my Sim-self once and I'm quite happy with the result - although my boyfriend didn't recognize it. :D So what? Don't take it too seriously, it's a game and supposed to be fun. ;)
  • Options
    NunnDuuRaah1NunnDuuRaah1 Posts: 35 Member
    I once worked hours trying to create my simself. I had a ton of pictures of my face and body on hand. But for me it's just very difficult to get those precise features. I showed my friends, and they said it didn't really look like me. :/

But I think that's more of a personal issue. I excel when I'm creating freely. I'll just "go with the flow", and things tend to work out. But when I'm trying to follow a set of structured directions with any form of art be it writing, drawing or making dem sims, I just find myself not performing as well.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    I can't make myself either cuz I kinda look different in every picture I take. :D So I don't even know how I truly look like in real life.

I thought your avie was your simself.
  • Options
    PhoenixxPhoenixx Posts: 21 Member
    I'm terrible at making my sim-self, it never looks like me. :(
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I went through the same thing recently. My self sim is my avatar too, but an old version. I've changed her face a bit since then. I realized I was being too hard on myself and subconsciously bodyshaming myself. I know what my physical flaws are and I think I exaggerated them. I don't know how many times I've tried fixing her face to look more like "me" but probably no matter what I do she will not look anything like me. Then if she has kids in game I'm like "Man, she has the ugliest kids ever". I decided to stop trying to fix her face and gave her a more normal physical shape instead of being misshapen. I did make her a bit overweight, that wasn't the issue, it was how distorted I made my body without realizing it. I didn't really change anything about her this time when C&D came out. I just added cats to the household and changed her clothes a little, I didn't change any physical parts. I am just not good at making sims of real people, some people really have a talent for it. I don't. I suppose it's even harder to do when it's yourself.
  • Options
    ElleysimsElleysims Posts: 133 Member
    > @Finvola said:
    > I went through the same thing recently. My self sim is my avatar too, but an old version. I've changed her face a bit since then. I realized I was being too hard on myself and subconsciously bodyshaming myself. I know what my physical flaws are and I think I exaggerated them. I don't know how many times I've tried fixing her face to look more like "me" but probably no matter what I do she will not look anything like me. Then if she has kids in game I'm like "Man, she has the ugliest kids ever". I decided to stop trying to fix her face and gave her a more normal physical shape instead of being misshapen. I did make her a bit overweight, that wasn't the issue, it was how distorted I made my body without realizing it. I didn't really change anything about her this time when C&D came out. I just added cats to the household and changed her clothes a little, I didn't change any physical parts. I am just not good at making sims of real people, some people really have a talent for it. I don't. I suppose it's even harder to do when it's yourself.

Reading your post made me a bit sad seeing you say you "gave her a more normal physical shape instead of being misshapen." I really hope you don't think that way of yourself and it was just game wording. =( Your avatar is adorable and I am sure you are too.

As for myself, I haven't even attempted to do myself as I feel like I would be depressed playing the game and having me die or something. Also, I doubt I can make myself since I have hair down to my butt, quite a few moles on my face, and a lack of talent for adjusting the facial structure.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    I feel your pain, OP.
    When my self sim does look like my reference picture, proportion-wise and everything, they don't look like me at all. Not in essence. Nope. My friends thought so too, like my eyes were too small or something. Which is? True, somehow? do selfies just distort my face or what

I ended up adjusting the proportions to look more like the way I draw people, the style of my more usual non-referenced sims, my semi-realistic understanding of facial proportions, somehow that worked better. Somehow semi-realism helped me more than realism in this case. Go figure.

Then there's the fact that sims don't emote the way I do either. At all. I'm autistic. I can't win.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I feel that I make some very neat sims, but I never feel that I can make facsimiles of actual people. I did, however, finally make a reasonable simself with the outstanding tools in this game. Wasn't ever able to do it before. I'm also not entirely sure how it came out as well as it did, so I am not able to offer any insight in how to improve in this regard.
  • Options
    It was not too difficult to make my simself household, but I am also not an ultra perfectionist. I looked at a family portrait, and made myself, my 3 daughters, and my husband. It just took me about 2 hours. Only thing now is they are sitting in my library, waiting for our pet birds.

@NorthDakotaGamer , I hope you get your birds in the game soon! o:) I would love a small pets pack (maybe a game pack!). I love your avatar...I grew up with parakeets myself! <3 Your birdies are beautiful!

I can make my oldest brother the best because he has a beard covering half his face and he's bald so it is a lot easier than to make anyone else in my family. The next easiest to make would be one of my Pugs, since one of them is solid black so I don't have to worry about her fur, just her body proportions! B)
  • Options
    I once worked hours trying to create my simself. I had a ton of pictures of my face and body on hand. But for me it's just very difficult to get those precise features. I showed my friends, and they said it didn't really look like me. :/

But I think that's more of a personal issue. I excel when I'm creating freely. I'll just "go with the flow", and things tend to work out. But when I'm trying to follow a set of structured directions with any form of art be it writing, drawing or making dem sims, I just find myself not performing as well.

@NunnDuuRaah1 , I'm the same way! I do much better with either abstract art, or in biology class drawing microscopic plant cells because no one expected them to look right, so I felt "freer" in making them, and they turned out very accurate! :D:p:D
    I have a lot of ideas for making either Celebrities or well known characters from fiction, and I might get their style, hair, clothing, personality correct, but the face is what gets me every time! :(
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    I also made my simself recently. Not good in creating Sims, that’s why I love the gallery and the premades :). But I am quite happy with my Simself, she is pretty :).
    I also made my house and my cat and my pug. Just missing horses now and then my Family is would becompleted.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    D20D20 Posts: 47 Member
    I think the trick is more to try to capture the essence of who you are rather than an exact physical likeness. The game's artstyle doesn't allow for that level of detail, and you'll quickly dip into the uncanny valley if you start trying to match proportions perfectly. Try to work with the game's artstyle rather than against it. Create caricatures, not portraits.
  • Options
    SpanglesSpangles Posts: 37 Member
    I've never made a likeness of myself, but I tend to give my Sims traits that would be similar to my own.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    My only problem w/ making a simself is that EA considered Glasses as an "unnecessary" item for work so when my simself goes to work she has to you know leave her glasses behind. If I did that in real life I probably trip over my feet
    6adMCGP.gif