Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why again no CAST?

I would argue that the best feature from Sims3 was the CAST, the ability to alter the color and texture of ... well, anything ... clothes, wallpaper, rugs, chairs, beds .... All done with a color wheel to select the color, and various templates for designs, geometric shapes and whatnot. It was the best feature of the game (although others will still argue that it is open world, with CAST in second). We were told that due to the limitations of the Sims4 game engine, CAST wouldn't be possible in the Sims4 universe (and no, I don't have the exact wording on it, don't want to try to even look it up).

All was well and good until Cats and Dogs were released ... with all things, CAP. I be confused.

CAP has a color wheel, it allows us to alter our pets. We can change the color, add shapes, patterns, designs, in various mix-matched colors on the fur and can customize our pets to our hearts content. And yet, we can't do that for our sims? We can't add streaks of color into their hair, we can't add patterns to their clothes, we can't change the color of the drapes ... but we can to our pets.

How can we have CAP, but we can't have a version of CAST?

Comments

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Because it's not needed. I don't play Sims to colour-coordinate everything so I definitely didn't see it as the best feature of my ex-bae TS3.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Adding a color wheel to pets was a lot easier because they built it up from the ground up to include it. If they were to add a color wheel now they'd have to re do everything.

At the very least, I'd love more colors for hairs. There's really only one color blonde that I can stand.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    To be honest....I still didn't understand the point of a color wheel for the pets if they were going for a realistic feel...in fact for me (personally) it feels wrong due to painting the pets in different colors (again that's just my personal feel though towards the realistic feel of it...)

But I can't begin to tell you how happy I would be if they added even a basic color wheel for hair, clothes, etc. #StrawberryBlonde Power <3
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I weirdly enough don't miss CASt at all. In a weird way with all the different swatches in sims 4 I prefer it that way. I don't spend forever playing with colors and getting bored and the mixing objects gives it a more real feel than everything matching by the exact shade.
  • Options
    BatmanSimmerBatmanSimmer Posts: 248 Member
    I just need it for hair and eyes. If pets can have it on their fur, they can definitely do color wheel hair.
    Happy Simming!
  • Options
    I just need it for hair and eyes. If pets can have it on their fur, they can definitely do color wheel hair.

I was thinking that the other day. I feel like it would be easy enough to add that painting tool to the hair so we can change the colors and add highlights where we want.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    CAP just makes me realize how much I want CAST again for another iteration. I would love it too especially since there are no good purple swatches in the game. CAST would help a lot with that and making goth and rocker Sims. The hair features in the Sims 3 were really cool too being able to change the root and highlight colors. I had a lot of fun with that. Anyway I hope we get it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member
    CASt might be a bit too much and could be heavy for the game. But a colorwheel for the hair, skin and eyes would be nice.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    CAP just makes me realize how much I want CAST again for another iteration. I would love it too especially since there are no good purple swatches in the game. CAST would help a lot with that and making goth and rocker Sims. The hair features in the Sims 3 were really cool too being able to change the root and highlight colors. I had a lot of fun with that. Anyway I hope we get it.

You know I never liked the highlights in sims 3. They never looked like I wanted it to lol I always felt like it needed more freedom to choose where and how many highlights.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »

You know I never liked the highlights in sims 3. They never looked like I wanted it to lol I always felt like it needed more freedom to choose where and how many highlights.
    True, more freedom for it would be nice. CAP does provide some possibilities for it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    To be honest....I still didn't understand the point of a color wheel for the pets if they were going for a realistic feel...in fact for me (personally) it feels wrong due to painting the pets in different colors (again that's just my personal feel though towards the realistic feel of it...)

But I can't begin to tell you how happy I would be if they added even a basic color wheel for hair, clothes, etc. #StrawberryBlonde Power <3

Oh wow! I didn't even think about that point of view! My reasons for being upset due to this alleged "realism" excuse EA pulled out of their toilet paper was because it was considered to them unrealistic to control a pet to make it spontaneous or whatever but it's considered ok to control a person as if that's realistic too! And if they actually think that then someone needs help! But now you gave me a new way of thinking. While EA did indeed claim wanting realism for pets then how come we can create a metallic dog/cat who look like they were born from a freakin tin can at Goodwill! If realism was truly a concern then how come Simmers are able to paint a green dog that could pass as a walking mascot advertising for a can of green peas. I might need to start taking in my vegetables to process that strange outlook! Just why? I don't get EA! My creative freedom for animals is now taken away because it's realistic to have a clownish looking dog with rainbow fur and a cat that has been stamped and stenciled so many times I would keep her away from the post office to avoid going through that again! Like really. Sigh.

• Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited November 2017

Exactly. I can't begin to tell you how many cc hair recolors i have due to not even being able to choose the correct highlights, as a strawberry blonde, my hair has a slight redish highlight to it, so highlights would be a godsend. It would defiantly bring me back to CAS more.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2017
    Hmmm to say adding an color wheel to the game will slow down some people game does not necessarily make me feel comfortable that Sims 4 has no technical prowess and may not be better than the previous version and it also tells me there was and will be a lot gimping so I cannot expect Sims 4 to be all it can be especially in this day and time when technology has advanced very quickly, I agree with Gruffman. Heck I think Sims 5 might get grimped too if it appears.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    edited November 2017
    I think the biggest differences between having a proper CASt and the CAP paint tool are that:
    • CASt in TS3 let us save the textures and color patterns and swatches that we created; this bogged down the whole system because it had to load all the CAS color presets and then had to load all the hundreds of patterns and variations that were included or created.
    • The CAP tool has no save options and the way it works is just a simple overlay on top of whatever preset coat color and pattern that we have on the pet (you can click the X at any time on the paint mode icon and it simply throws away all the painting you did.)

I think at the most, they could give human sims some color palettes instead of swatches, but that would be it.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    According to what I've read, the devs spent nearly a year, updating all of the CAS elements for the transgender patch. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it might have been time better spent updating all of the clothes for a color wheel.

I admit that the transgender patch was well-received. However, I have to wonder if a color wheel patch wouldn't have possibly been even more popular. So many have been asking for it since the very beginning.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2017
    Cynna wrote: »
    According to what I've read, the devs spent nearly a year, updating all of the CAS elements for the transgender patch. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it might have been time better spent updating all of the clothes for a color wheel.

I admit that the transgender patch was well-received. However, I have to wonder if a color wheel patch wouldn't have possibly been even more popular. So many have been asking for it since the very beginning.

But the CAS elements for the transgender patch have the same basic structure. I suspect that the structure of pets had to be different from the ground up so that that overlay is possible over the body. The closest equivalent I can think of would be if we could paint the skin or (maybe) hair of Sims. But I suspect that that would break our existing saves and earlier saved Sims.

I do think that an outside-the-game tool to make new swatches for ourselves would be awesome, though. Something that would be compatible with the current system, sit outside it, and be built to be more intuitive that what we can currently do with Photoshop + outside Simmer-build tools.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I always got overwhelmed by CASt because I'm bad at colour coordination and it made building take forever. Despite limiting creativity for some, I find swatches much more practical. Though, I wish we had TS2 swatch system where you could mix and match different bed bases and linen.
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member

I was thinking that the other day. I feel like it would be easy enough to add that painting tool to the hair so we can change the colors and add highlights where we want.

It would also be good for making tattoos or doing slight changes in skin color.

Like you could make a sim with vitiligo if you wished, or with birth marks or different types of freckles.

You could even make the aliens look more alien with cool skin markings or have fun really really customizing the vampire sims
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I think CASt is very overwhealming as well. I think a color wheel would be a nice compromise.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

It would also be good for making tattoos or doing slight changes in skin color.

Like you could make a sim with vitiligo if you wished, or with birth marks or different types of freckles.

You could even make the aliens look more alien with cool skin markings or have fun really really customizing the vampire sims

Oh that is an awesome idea! I'd love using the stamp tool for making tattoos. Can they please make it happen XD
  • Options
    JillieLunaJillieLuna Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited November 2017
    Even though it was bogged down, I loved it. Choosing any pieces of furniture for a room and being able to perfectly match them was a huge improvement for me.

Like Cameron said, I wish we at least had TS2 style where you could choose multiple swatches for objects.

I love CASt so much :astonished:
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Adding a color wheel to pets was a lot easier because they built it up from the ground up to include it. If they were to add a color wheel now they'd have to re do everything.

At the very least, I'd love more colors for hairs. There's really only one color blonde that I can stand.

That literally makes no sense! They built the game up to include it? Why not do that with TS4 then? They had to build that up from nothing too, you know.

I’m personally over a colour wheel, I barely used it in TS3 anyway BUT it’s a massive slap in the face to those who do want one. EA constantly just lie. “No we can’t do a colour wheel for ts4” /putscolourwheelinanexpansion... lol and people are *still* falling for it.

—T
  • Options
    NaomiSImblrNaomiSImblr Posts: 158 Member
    I think there should be a basic colour wheel for clothes as sometimes say you want a black top and skirt sometimes the black doesn't match so I think a minimal colour wheel would be good but nothing as big as Sims 3
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    I'd love a color wheel for clothes, hair, eyes, etc... I don't think that full-on CAST could work in TS4 but a color wheel, definitely.

Also Build mode could use a color wheel as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top