Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uncontrollable Pets - Good move or bad?

Comments

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Baenre wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »

It is the unpredictability part. If you can control them, such as in Sims 3, you take away all of that and are pretty much left with something that doesn't resemble a real life pet. I personally am relieved they did it that way this way or I'd already be bored with it.

Again, how does having the option to control a pet take away the unpredictability? Those who want to be surprised need never control their pets, ever. They can be as surprised and amazed as they like, at any time.

I suspect that the problem here may be more about impulse control. If you don't want to control the animals, the simple solution is not to control them. Why take away that option from others who want it, though?

In other words, you lose nothing by the animals being controllable, so long as you're able to control your impulses to take over. On the other hand, I lose everything that I need by them being uncontrollable. I hope that makes sense.

I think that's it right there. I'm wondering that some people's issues with impulse control could be a justifying factor for everyone else's lack of availability of options. I like options. I'm always on the side of options. The more the merrier I say. Sometimes, depending on the story happening, one could really benefit from the option of controlling a pet. And I realize saying option a lot makes the word sound funny. So I'm going to stop now. But yeah...options.

I think this is the case for some people. When I read that part about impulse control I was brought back to before the base game was released. I remember a surprising amount (to me at least) of simmers who were glad CASt was gone because it would take up hours to days of game play time for them because they couldn't stop themselves from using it. And when so many players excused away no player control over pets the common theme in most explanations for why they liked it that way was because they had to control pets in Sims 3 and they hated it.

As someone who controlled my pets about 50% of the time in Sims 3 I can honestly say players did not have to control them. And when I didn't control them I found myself thinking: 'What are you doing?' 'Why are you so weird?' 'This goofball here... why do I keep you around?' 'Aw, you want to spend time with me!' 'You don't care about me, you just want my food...' The exact same things I think with my own pets. Which leads me to believe that a lot of these players continously saying that we had to control pets couldn't stop themselves from controlling their pets in 3 and are glad that control is gone because the impulse is gone. And like with CASt, wanting other people's option taken away because you can't control yourself is wrong.

And I still can't buy that player control was taken away simply to make these pets more realistic in a game where so many things are unrealistic occur nor can I believe that this is where they chose to draw that line and say they want realism now. I'm pretty sure this was the best they could give us with how much time they had and what majority of their resources were going to (CAP) which is fine but I'm not buying the realism claim.

I haven't played the EP yet but from what I've seen and read there's nothing spectacular about these pets where I can see that player control absolutely had to be taken away as an option gameplay wise. Resource wise yes, but not gameplay wise. And that's not to say it's not a decent pack. The pack doesn't seem bad unless you're one of the people having gamebreaking issues, but it doesn't seem as great as some would've led me to believe it was going to be because we can't control pets nor does it seem to resolve issues I've had with the sims since the base game.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited November 2017
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Condition: The game Needs to be good in order to become successful and generate Revenue. The rest is not really important and everything is going according to plan here, as far as I can tell.

When the game does very well, EA rings the bells about its sales everywhere possible. The most we have about TS4 is the illusive 5 million pin with no explanation and "our online engagement went up by 20% last quarter!".

The revenue needs to be higher than cost of development and advertising, that's it. With how they axed the second EP team transitioning from TS3 to TS4 and with how we're being told about limitations constantly, it's not hard to believe that the revenue is indeed higher than expenditure. Did it do better or worse than the previous iteration? Unknown, because we do not have the copies sold to compare.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    That's so untrue. In real life, pets don't sleep 100% of the time while you're at work, right? TS4 Pets do. If we could control them, we could them live their pet life, even by staying true to their traits while we're not here. Cats do very little in this expansion, except Aloof cats who tend to run amok in the "hood. Yes in TS3 pets were household members, but isn't that how you feel about your IRL pets?
    And I dare you to make a cat understand that they can sleep on a bed using pose player...
    Oh and just so you know, Shy sims from TS2 behave more correctly than affectionate cats in TS4...

Don't know what you're saying there, but factually speaking, Domesticated cats spend about 2/3'rd of their lives sleeping. My cat is literally curled up next to me laying down.

Cats also sleep in a different way than humans. For the most part, they're alert 24/7.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2017
    To be honest when I was testing Sims 1 (The Sims) Will Wright never really called it a sand box game in the beginning - he called it a God Game - where we were their God and the Sims in the world were our creations. It was why he said they would look up toward the camera and give the player different expressions or even complain when we gave them something they didn't like ( from furniture to clothes or ever rebuilding their houses -) to pleading with us to help them or showing exasperation with their God, even some times getting angry.

I do know later on he did refer to it as a sandbox game during a live interview I saw on TV on A & E - but then he even referred to his other games using the same term. He said when asked what he meant - that a sandbox game allowed players to play how ever they wanted within the realms of the game with virtually no real rules, no true game over, and no end. Like a sandbox it was always a different experience according to how every player played.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    It’s a bit overwhelming. Pets are extremely needy and they need sims to tell them to do EVERYTHING. Honestly non playables pets wouldn’t be so bad if pets weren’t so needy and were more autonomous.

I think we're playing two different games here. My pets take care of themselves just fine.

Dogs are more needy yeah, because Dogs are needy IRL.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2017
    That's so untrue. In real life, pets don't sleep 100% of the time while you're at work, right? TS4 Pets do. If we could control them, we could them live their pet life, even by staying true to their traits while we're not here. Cats do very little in this expansion, except Aloof cats who tend to run amok in the "hood. Yes in TS3 pets were household members, but isn't that how you feel about your IRL pets?
    And I dare you to make a cat understand that they can sleep on a bed using pose player...
    Oh and just so you know, Shy sims from TS2 behave more correctly than affectionate cats in TS4...

Don't know what you're saying there, but factually speaking, Domesticated cats spend about 2/3'rd of their lives sleeping. My cat is literally curled up next to me laying down.

Cats also sleep in a different way than humans. For the most part, they're alert 24/7.

What I'm saying is, whenever a sim goes to work, the pet automaticly sleeps. It's not a question of staying true to real life regards to their habits. They sleep to favorize the player using maximum speed. Like, IRL, my cat could very well be wandering, doing any sorts of awaken cat stuff at 10 AM, stuff I could make my sim cat do if I could control him.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

The revenue needs to be higher than cost of development and advertising, that's it. With how they axed the second EP team transitioning from TS3 to TS4 and with how we're being told about limitations constantly, it's not hard to believe that the revenue is indeed higher than expenditure. Did it do better or worse than the previous iteration? Unknown, because we do not have the copies sold to compare.

Well, when we speak of Investments that big the Revenue must be significant bigger than the cost. Otherwise nobody would take the risk to gamble/Speculate over Investments.

Anyway: The button would indicate (timeframe between release of the game and the image of the button on Twitter) that TS4 is AT LEAST the fastest selling game of all. And this implies that it will most likely outsell all of them eventually.

Comments by Gurus leave also much room for speculation over the fact that TS4 (since it's so successful it only makes sense) might have a longer life-span than its predecessors in the end.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    BooV7227 wrote: »
    ... However, it seems you fail to understand that your idea of how a particular Feature should be handled by EA/Maxis wouldn't make everybody happy either. I am sure that the opposite is the case actually (if you were in Charge of Things. My proof? At least 90% of all simmers are thrilled about TS4 and Cat&Dogs and nobody cares for the previous iterations anymore ("the good ones"), at least not a significant amount of people).

Would you mind linking the surveys where you found those statistics?

I know a lot of people who still play TS1,TS2, and TS3 alongside TS4. The Sims 2 has held up as my personal favorite even after all these years.

Please don't make up numbers to back up your opinions.
    If you're going to use statistics, look up the real numbers and don't use blanket statements.
    They should take advantage of the new poll feature on forums and see if it holds true. I know I still enjoy playing all four iterations. I wish Simmers would learn to speak for themselves instead of throwing out made up statistics.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited November 2017

What I'm saying is, whenever a sim goes to work, the pet automaticly sleeps. It's not a question of staying true to real life regards to their habits. They sleep to favorize the player using maximum speed. Like, IRL, my cat could very well be wandering, doing any sorts of awaken cat stuff at 10 AM, stuff I could make my sim cat do if I could control him.

Cats are by nature nocturnal - so they really are naturally sleepers during the day. Cats are notorious for coming to life about 1 A.M. and healthy Cats sleep approximately 20 hours a day. They are just not heavy sleepers most of that time - it is more like long cat naps divided up with a few trips to a food dish and their liter box.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I think it was a bad move. The pets are suppose to have something like increased personality, right? They do not. They act exactly like my pets in the sims 3 did. Except in Sims 3 I could make them do cool stuff. Now they just walk/run around, jump on counter/cat condos/sofas, and sleep. I put toys out none of them care. I bought a scratching post, cats don't use it. I made an obstacle course, with no training skill pets only made 1 error, boring. The mouse hole, only sims react.
    I literally had the camera on one of my pets for an entire sim day and it did nothing interesting or unusual. It just looked cute. They are somewhat interactive decor.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Dogs or cats are treated the same way regardless... Remember that this is a game right. Like all sims, they have needs to fill. Once the sleep meter (that we can't see) is full, they wake-up. Say I take Mayor Whiskers a saturday at 9.AM, I'll let him out and he'll do his thing the whole day, sleeping a bit here and there, but runing amok for the vast majority of the time. The Monday, I send my sim to work and he'll sleep from 9AM to 4PM to help me go max speed. That's why if I could control him, I'll make him do his stuff during his day. That's all I'm saying, discussing game design...
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Scobre wrote: »
    BooV7227 wrote: »
    ... However, it seems you fail to understand that your idea of how a particular Feature should be handled by EA/Maxis wouldn't make everybody happy either. I am sure that the opposite is the case actually (if you were in Charge of Things. My proof? At least 90% of all simmers are thrilled about TS4 and Cat&Dogs and nobody cares for the previous iterations anymore ("the good ones"), at least not a significant amount of people).

Would you mind linking the surveys where you found those statistics?

I know a lot of people who still play TS1,TS2, and TS3 alongside TS4. The Sims 2 has held up as my personal favorite even after all these years.

Please don't make up numbers to back up your opinions.
    If you're going to use statistics, look up the real numbers and don't use blanket statements.
    They should take advantage of the new poll feature on forums and see if it holds true. I know I still enjoy playing all four iterations. I wish Simmers would learn to speak for themselves instead of throwing out made up statistics.

Most simmers in my family still enjoy Sims 2 and 3, along with 4 and a few even Sims 1 on occasion - that is the ones that can get it to work nowadays. I did like the Sims 1 a lot but the clock just moves too fast to make it as fun as it used to be for me anyway - plus I just love the life stages all being there - so even though I'll always have a fond place in my heart for that game - I don't hardly ever play it. But sure - Sims 2, 3, and 4 - still play 2 and 3, along with 4. Got to admit though they have not seen much play out of me this year as Sims 4 has had a great 2017 for me.

Oh and just to add - my family has 31 simmers in it - besides me with at least half of those playing pretty regularly when they can.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Most simmers in my family still enjoy Sims 2 and 3, along with 4 and a few even Sims 1 on occasion - that is the ones that can get it to work nowadays. I did like the Sims 1 a lot but the clock just moves too fast to make it as fun as it used to be for me anyway - plus I just love the life stages all being there - so even though I'll always have a fond place in my heart for that game - I don't hardly ever play it. But sure - Sims 2, 3, and 4 - still play 2 and 3, along with 4. Got to admit though they have not seen much play out of me this year as Sims 4 has had a great 2017 for me.

Oh and just to add - my family has 31 simmers in it - besides me with at least half of those playing pretty regularly when they can.
    Yeah my brother's favorite game is the Sims 2 and my sister's favorite game is the Sims 3. Neither of them have plans to even play the Sims 4. 2017 has been a great year for the Sims 4 for me as well. I can understand about the life stages, I love those too. It's just fun playing the stories of the pre-mades from time to time with the older versions. I mean Nervous Subject was such a cool character and Goths I have loved since day one.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    It’s a bit overwhelming. Pets are extremely needy and they need sims to tell them to do EVERYTHING. Honestly non playables pets wouldn’t be so bad if pets weren’t so needy and were more autonomous.

I think we're playing two different games here. My pets take care of themselves just fine.

I think you are playing a different game. I have to let my dogs out to pee, even when they go in and out of the house all day. In San Myshuno some apartments are bugged and you need your sim to go downstairs and then call your pet to pee. I have 2 dogs in real life, they are needy, but they are smart enough to fill their basic needs if they have to.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

I think you are playing a different game. I have to let my dogs out to pee, even when they go in and out of the house all day. In San Myshuno some apartments are bugged and you need your sim to go downstairs and then call your pet to pee. I have 2 dogs in real life, they are needy, but they are smart enough to fill their basic needs if they have to.

Once you get the notification that they've learned to go potty outside they should do it autonomously though. They might whine for a second but then they run outside (and only my vocal dog whines first as far as I can tell, the others just go). It's weird they don't in your game :/
  • Options
    AbneyTAbneyT Posts: 37 Member
    I like them not being controllable BUT.... there needs to be a screen for basic info.... how many days until age up and what their traits are... that drives me mad. Even if you could hover over them and see it or click on them to find out =/
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    I like that i can't see what my pet wants personally. It adds a sense of realism for me. Its really fun to watch my cat go off adventuring while my sim is at work. She keeps fighting squirrels and hissing at stray dogs.

They have allot of little quirks when you spend time watching them, i've noticed the traits really do seem to have an influence on behaviours.

Dog 1: Had loyal trait. Greets sim when she comes home. Falls asleep next to her. Quiet and well behaved. Only barks when food is out.
    Dog 2: Has jumpy trait. Really really doesn't like the tv. Shoots off running every now and then.
    Cat 1: Has territorial trait. HAS ATTACKED VISITORS MULTIPLE TIMES. Also has aloof trait, cat hardly sleeps in the house and only comes back for food. Tends to sleep just outside in case someone stumbles upon him so he can attack...
    Cat 2: Has affectionate trait. Similar to dog 1 in that she sleeps in the sims room. Will also find my sim as soon as she comes home. Also has prowler trait. Often wanders the neighbourhood bringing stuff home. Has developed a strange obsession with the downstairs bathtub...

So yeah. I'm really enjoying it so far! I've managed to make my IRL dog pretty accurately in game, shes just as much of a pain in the butt in game as she is IRL (but i still love her)
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    AbneyT wrote: »
    I like them not being controllable BUT.... there needs to be a screen for basic info.... how many days until age up and what their traits are... that drives me mad. Even if you could hover over them and see it or click on them to find out =/

Yeah I agree I'd like to only see their age, breed, traits and family tree. I don't want to be able to control them but that bit of info without clicking on my sim's friends would be nice (also cause I don't think the breed is mentioned anywhere and I can't recognize all of them xD) :)
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Once you get the notification that they've learned to go potty outside they should do it autonomously though. They might whine for a second but then they run outside (and only my vocal dog whines first as far as I can tell, the others just go). It's weird they don't in your game :/

They do. One of my dogs already learned. Thing is that it takes time. One of the households has 3 dogs and 2 toddlers so it takes some time for them to learn. I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it, but for now it’s a bit overwhelming. Plus I’m new at playing with toddlers so it’s been hard. It stressed me out lol so I have an easier household now. I’ll take the challange another time though. I appreciate the game is getting harder though, it was getting too easy. But with pets you have to pay attention to the thought bubbles and notifications to see what they need, it’s a lot of multitasking for me. It would help if we could see their needs thiugh
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    SimTrippy wrote: »

They do. One of my dogs already learned. Thing is that it takes time. One of the households has 3 dogs and 2 toddlers so it takes some time for them to learn. I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it, but for now it’s a bit overwhelming. Plus I’m new at playing with toddlers so it’s been hard. It stressed me out lol so I have an easier household now. I’ll take the challange another time though. I appreciate the game is getting harder though, it was getting too easy. But with pets you have to pay attention to the thought bubbles and notifications to see what they need, it’s a lot of multitasking for me. It would help if we could see their needs thiugh

Yeah I get that. I kinda like the challenge cause as you said it was getting a bit easy :D I think that's why, for me personally, not being able to control them was a good move cause I've been dying for things I can't control in this game. I enjoy the challenge it brings to keeping my sims happy and on top of everything (or maybe I'm just still a TS1 player at heart xD). I'm sure once you've gotten used to the tots and the pets it'll be easier and more fun though! Good luck :) I know pets were important to you so I hope the EP makes you happy in the end!
  • Options

I don't know if that's the reason. My pets don't always sleep and full speed works even when they're awake.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

I don't know if that's the reason. My pets don't always sleep and full speed works even when they're awake.

So far this couldn't be helped in my household: if I want full speed while at work, it's light's out for pets. Provided no sims are active in the house during that time span of course.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I like that I can't control them, but I would have liked being able to see basic info about them, like in Sims 2.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Dogs or cats are treated the same way regardless... Remember that this is a game right. Like all sims, they have needs to fill. Once the sleep meter (that we can't see) is full, they wake-up. Say I take Mayor Whiskers a saturday at 9.AM, I'll let him out and he'll do his thing the whole day, sleeping a bit here and there, but runing amok for the vast majority of the time. The Monday, I send my sim to work and he'll sleep from 9AM to 4PM to help me go max speed. That's why if I could control him, I'll make him do his stuff during his day. That's all I'm saying, discussing game design...

Am I reading this right? Do cats sort of...power down...like the Roomba when they're home alone?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Cynna wrote: »

Am I reading this right? Do cats sort of...power down...like the Roomba when they're home alone?

That's what happens to me if a household is depleted of it's "human" inhabitants for work reasons and if I put the speed to max.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top