Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can’t adopt stray pets?

So far I am loving this pack a lot but I seem to be having more issues than usual. I have the disappearing food dish issue which is a little annoying but the worst issue I’m having is with the strays. My sim, who lives in an apartment, decided to adopt a cat due to the mice in her apartment. So she went to the new world in search of a new kitty. She found the cutest bobtail cat. They didn’t have the greatest introduction but she really liked this cat. So I got their relationship up and the cat just left her there, without the option to adopt her. So I decided to travel to a new location and I had the kitty travel with me. I tried again to adopt her until I noticed that it didn’t say stray anymore. I thought that was weird but I decided to look for a new kitty that was. Same thing. Anyone else have this?

I have only played the new pack for a couple hours because the computer I am using is really slow and it’s kind of annoying so I’m not sure if there are more glitches. My gaming computer was being repaired and is FIXED and on its way back home to me (which took almost a month and a half) but I wanted to know if most people were having this issue or if it’s just a pc I’m currently using? If it’s the pc then that’s great because I’ll have my gaming pc back in only a couple days.

Comments

• Options
    EleniWEleniW Posts: 2 New Member
    Same thing happened here! A sick stray came to my sims' house so I decided to take the dog to the vet, but when we came back I didn't have the option to adopt her and, she no longer had 'stray' above her head. Does anyone have a way to fix this?
    Ps. I use a laptop to play sims, but have used this since it first came out three-ish years ago with no problems.
  • Options
    EleniWEleniW Posts: 2 New Member
    Just found a way to add the pet to your household.
    Type 'testingcheats on' into your cheat bar, then shift-click the animal and press 'add to family'. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Ladybug889Ladybug889 Posts: 943 Member
    Thank you! I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. I will probably wait till I have my actual gaming pc back and transfer the saves over and then use the cheat. It takes to long to play on the pc I’m using now.
  • Options
    KjrockPlayerKjrockPlayer Posts: 305 Member
    Have you tried adoption on the service part of your mobile phone you get to choose witch pet your sim want's cost's 200 sim coin's .I have been able to adopt a stray out in the wild also though so not sure what the problem is hope you both get sorted out
  • Options
    I did end up adopting a pet from the phone last night. Unfortunately I think he’s afraid of the vacuum so I don’t see him riding on it and he hasn’t even bothered with the mice. I still want to get the stray that I found because she was a cutie and maybe they can have babies.
  • Options
    CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    You can adopt them you just have to make friends with them like in sims 3. I absolutely hate this expansion
  • Options
    Unfortunately I had the friendship bar all the way up and was unable to. I believe it was because it no longer said stray by her name. She will be mine soon though.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    So... You came across what I would call a glitch from E.A.'s part. After a certain period of time, Strays become "owned" by a randomly generated sim. Like those guys weren't enough a hindrance already...
  • Options
    It’s ok. Their time with my cat is limited.
  • Options
    RobeyRobey Posts: 11 New Member
    I have the same problem. I wanted to adopt a stray to save money, and I don't want to cheat either to get it. But every time I find one and try to work up a relationship it suddenly isn't a stray anymore.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

Ladybug889 wrote: »
    So far I am loving this pack a lot but I seem to be having more issues than usual. I have the disappearing food dish issue which is a little annoying but the worst issue I’m having is with the strays. My sim, who lives in an apartment, decided to adopt a cat due to the mice in her apartment. So she went to the new world in search of a new kitty. She found the cutest bobtail cat. They didn’t have the greatest introduction but she really liked this cat. So I got their relationship up and the cat just left her there, without the option to adopt her. So I decided to travel to a new location and I had the kitty travel with me. I tried again to adopt her until I noticed that it didn’t say stray anymore. I thought that was weird but I decided to look for a new kitty that was. Same thing. Anyone else has this?

I have only played the new pack for a couple hours because the computer I am using is really slow and it’s kind of annoying so I’m not sure if there are more glitches. My gaming computer was being repaired and is FIXED and on its way back home to me (which took almost a month and a half) but I wanted to know if most people were having this issue or if it’s just a pc I’m currently using? If it’s the pc then that’s great because I’ll have my gaming pc back in only a couple days.

I think the option to adopt comes up fast so when you see it adopt it and take it home. I would think it's no longer stray because you and the animal have become friends.?
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    JRBearJRBear Posts: 190 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    So... You came across what I would call a glitch from E.A.'s part. After a certain period of time, Strays become "owned" by a randomly generated sim. Like those guys weren't enough a hindrance already...

I checked households, and you're right. Previously stray animals end up with random not-in-world townies. ...Do you know if the game will generate more strays to adopt over time?
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    I think if possible, you should delete those fake strays, and then come back and check.
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    i tried to adopt a cat today and everytime i clicked adopt pet nothing happened t.t so I had to cheat.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    Just an update. My sim went to the vet to get them wellness checkups and I found the kitty again. We still had the full relationship bar and she is once again a stray so I adopted her.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Ladybug889 wrote: »
    Just an update. My sim went to the vet to get them wellness checkups and I found the kitty again. We still had the full relationship bar and she is once again a stray so I adopted her.

Good to know!! I’m trying to adopt a stray as well
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    harper1233harper1233 Posts: 1 New Member
    When you tried to adopt the pet, was it on your home lot? Even if you are friends with the pet, the option only pops up there. I'm not sure why the stray label goes away, maybe somebody else already adopted? I am trying to take a really sick stray to the vet, but it says no relevant pet. I traveled with the stray, I have not yet adopted it. Does anybody know how to fix this?
  • Options
    Bella_ZingoBella_Zingo Posts: 2 New Member
    I have the problem that the adopt option never even comes up anymore. It worked before but now the only way is to obviously cheat the pet in my family or adopt one from the phone. :/
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited December 2017
    The one time that I've had a household adopt a stray in the game, I did it through testing cheats. I don't have a problem with using cheats in that kind of scenario because I had already built up a relationship between the sim and the cat. Testing cheats was just a means to an end. That said, yes, the EP does seem to have some bugs including around pet adoption. I would like to see it fixed.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    SkiiSteIIaSkiiSteIIa Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Ladybug889 said:
    > So far I am loving this pack a lot but I seem to be having more issues than usual. I have the disappearing food dish issue which is a little annoying but the worst issue I’m having is with the strays. My sim, who lives in an apartment, decided to adopt a cat due to the mice in her apartment. So she went to the new world in search of a new kitty. She found the cutest bobtail cat. They didn’t have the greatest introduction but she really liked this cat. So I got their relationship up and the cat just left her there, without the option to adopt her. So I decided to travel to a new location and I had the kitty travel with me. I tried again to adopt her until I noticed that it didn’t say stray anymore. I thought that was weird but I decided to look for a new kitty that was. Same thing. Anyone else have this?
    >
    > I have only played the new pack for a couple hours because the computer I am using is really slow and it’s kind of annoying so I’m not sure if there are more glitches. My gaming computer was being repaired and is FIXED and on its way back home to me (which took almost a month and a half) but I wanted to know if most people were having this issue or if it’s just a pc I’m currently using? If it’s the pc then that’s great because I’ll have my gaming pc back in only a couple days.

I've had the same thing happen to me, but I believe it was only just because I removed the lot trait of Dog/Cat Hangout (on my residential lot). I added the lot trait again, and the dog I wanted to adopt was a stray again!
  • Options
    PhoeSavsMom_83PhoeSavsMom_83 Posts: 20 Member
    Can you take a stay to the vet and pay to make it better without having to adopt it? I tried that once and it wouldn't let me check in the stray dog even though it was sick and needed help.
  • Options
    mollymegan82mollymegan82 Posts: 703 Member
    I just adopted a stray and I click to get to know him and nothing pops up to tell me his traits? is that normal or do strays not have traits??
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,605 Member
    I just adopted a stray and I click to get to know him and nothing pops up to tell me his traits? is that normal or do strays not have traits??

Hello @mollymegan82
    Go to Manage Households, click on your sims household, then click to edit in CAS. You will then see the traits of the stray you have adopted, and can change them if you would like to do that.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,605 Member
    Can you take a stay to the vet and pay to make it better without having to adopt it? I tried that once and it wouldn't let me check in the stray dog even though it was sick and needed help.

Hello
    You can’t take a stray to a vet to make them better, but you can instead give them a wellness treat.
  • Options
    PaulaJediPaulaJedi Posts: 36 Member
    I no longer get the option to adopt strays, but I will use testing cheats. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top