Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Genuine Question - why do people love Seasons so much?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Because seasons are great <3 haha I love fall, it's my favorite season in RL too. I love how it's slowly getting colder, that the leaves change to the most beautiful colors and that there's all these cute family oriented festivities coming up :D I am not a summer person at all either. Also, I feel that seasons in the sims adds more depth to time itself. It begins to actually feel like years go by when there are seasons. And I love not being able to grow plants outside in winter etc. Just adds a lot of small gameplay elements that really amp up the overall sense of realism to me :) but then, it has never rained inside my sims' houses tbh :D I guess I'd find that annoying too.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I loved Seasons. It makes gameplay less monotonous (not always the same activities, wishes, etc) and it's just fun to set different outfits for each season. I really hope we get it in Sims 4 soon.
  • Options
    OlberOlber Posts: 80 Member
    I also love seasons because it makes the world feel more real to me. I have the same 'time is standing still' feeling I saw some other people mention. Seasons help a lot with that. And I also just love those rainy days. xD
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Like many others it adds to the atmosphere. IRL, I'm an Army brat and we've lived in several different places. In some places the weather didn't always match the season. We once lived in a place where there was a drought for four years. I like the summer rainstorms, the chilly fall air, those winters where everything is blanketed with snow and then those blossoming springs where everything is green. TS2 and TS3 Seasons were equally good with weather. There were some things that were different about the other but you never noticed because to me it gave you that feeling. The outside changes were amazing to see. I had screenshots in my early S3 days where I had a founder sim who waited till the Winter to have her wedding, had a baby in the spring, had a beach day during the summer and went to the fall festival in the Fall.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I don’t care a great deal for seasons myself, I grew up somewhere that rarely got rain or snow, sometimes a bit of breeze and a cold winter though. I did really like sims 2 vacations where you could vacation at the beach or in the snow. I guess because we always needed to go elsewhere for those things. I lived in an area much like OS.

That was Sims 1.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    DottyDotty Posts: 80 Member
    because I adore snow and we never get any any more in rl, grr, global warming, when I was little we used to have lots of snow in Winter, now we are lucky to get one or two days a year with a pathetic dusting. So I live vicariously through my Sims, I even used to make it Winter all year sometimes in my games.
  • Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    For me, seasons help to create a sense of time passing for my sims' lives (I grew up experiencing all 4 seasons). Yes, I can gauge time by the days of the week, but every day feels like every other day. Seasons provides a difference in each day. Will it rain? Was that thunder? Snow's coming? Plus, there is the benefit of having clothes mean something (TS2 and your sim getting cold if not dressed in outerwear).

I also like having sims swim and cookout in summer, rake leaves in autumn, have snowball fights and make snow angels in winter, and in spring jump in puddles. I guess having each season tied to different activities also kept the game different and fun. It also helped to plan for different story lines and details based on when things would happen (such as births, weddings, etc.).

Having written all that, I actually miss Seasons more than I remembered. :wink:
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I love seasons, i live in England so the weather everyday is pretty much pot luck. You never know what your going to get. I love the way seasons can change the feel of the world around you. Plus who wants an endless summer in game.
  • Options
    Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    I love seasons for storytelling purposes. It just adds another layer of detail on a good play session, and a level of unpredictability when the weather takes a sudden turn.

There's a completely different feeling when your sim is having a perfect wedding on a sunny day vs. having that day turn rainy and suddenly one of the audience members gets shocked by lightning.

Or having sims go out to the park on a date in the spring vs. snuggling up in front of a warm, cozy fire and drinking hot cocoa when it's freezing outside.

Or seeing a vampire creep into your home on a foggy, moonlit night vs. having a calm, clear night watching a movie outdoors on the projector.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I like seasons because it gives me a lot more control over my game. When we get seasons, if they work as they have in the past, I can customize each world more to look the way I want it to look and they will resemble each other a little bit less. For example, I can have all four seasons in Willow Creek and Newcrest, three summers and one spring (rain) in Oasis Springs, two summers and two springs in Windenburg and Two autumns and one winter and one spring in Brindleton Bay. I can create whatever weather I want in any world I want. And this doesn't even include the holidays that will roll around for my sims to celebrate.
  • Options
    InvisibleaesInvisibleaes Posts: 1,526 Member
    I love having as others have mentioned a way to show times going forward. It also adds whimsy to it! I love seeing snow and rain in my games! It’s one of my favorites that fills in the gameplay a bit.
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    Definitely love the extra depth Seasons brings to the game as I'm all about constantly re-dressing and customising my sims, and having the motive to design an outfit as per the season is always fun, right now I just use the powers of imagination.. but I'm an all rounder when it comes to Sims, I'll take and cherish any EP that it gives out, all for new experiences even if it means delaying the older ones a bit.

Though that crispy thick layer of snow on the ground and squidgy winter coats are pretty awesome.
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I used to wonder the same thing too, but seasons bring different seasons in the game, and the activities followed by it. With winter, there is snow and brings forth days like Christmas, New Years and Valentine's day. Spring bring Easter. Fall brings Halloween Thanksgiving. Seeing your sims take part in real world activities and watch the seasons pass is very enjoyable. Right now it is Summer forever and there are no holidays. Sure you throw a Halloween party, and throw around some Holiday decorations, but it's not the same.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    kittykateyeskittykateyes Posts: 41 Member
    for me i love them all cause its just a part of life and holidays and sessions bring family together and for my family thats the only time we get together at all
  • Options
    BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    I don't like Seasons that much tbh. The main reason is that I hate winter with a passion. It's dark, cold and depressing. And also I'm not much of an outdoorsy type anyway. I think we'll be able edit that season out of the game though. But still, I'll follow the bandwagon and hope we'll see that ep soon. It should add some atmosphere to the game.
  • Options
    momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    Because continuous sunshine is boring
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Because continuous sunshine is boring

Well, that is debatable. I hate snow and cold, so sunshine all the time is not so boring and makes me happy. Oh, and my severe dislike of snow, cold, and rain may be based on where I live.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    for me seasons means mainly weather & how the scenery changes not only with the light through the day & night circle, with colorful changes at dawn & evening, but also through the different weathers
    like mist obscuring the view, light turning darker with rain, the landscape lighting up with the whiteness of snow

weather makes the game just breathtakingly beautiful

i don't care much for the festivities coming with seasons, mainly because i am usually too busy with the daily activities, maybe i would if the time would pass way slower & if i had then way more time for special occasions
    but with sims it's too much survival game still, those repeating activities stand for me in the way to relish the special occasions coming with seasons
    already a birthday party flies by & afterwards every sim is just exhausted & rushes home
    & i know that people prefer to set either sims's needs into stasis or cheat their motives to max, so i am not the only one usually too busy with the usual

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Because what is the best way to show changes in time? Changes in seasons. It makes the game feel complete and my stories come alive. :heart:
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Never played Sims 3 or any of the earlier iterations of the game but I can imagine how wonderful it can be.

Hope we can design each world to be different :) decide ourselves if it will be winter all year round in some world. That would ad so much storytelling for me.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    It's ultimately an essential part of the game for me. Having pets is as well but now that C&D is coming out, I am ready to think more about Seasons. I do want the ability to control which seasons are in which "worlds". Oasis Springs needs to be different than Brindleton Bay or Forgotten Hollow.

As others said, it does add variety and emphasize the passage of time. Also, for example, I personally have a hard time playing with any of the seasonal holiday stuff without Seasons. If this version were to come with a more detailed approach to weather and climate, that would be very cool. They could have different types of days (warm and dry, hot and humid, stormy, breezy, etc) and perhaps even a daily thermometer to check and dress according to.

I'd also be happy to see more outerwear. Seasons can bring more activities. I'm definitely in favor of well-executed Seasons.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    Seasons brings my games become real, and it Seasons also show how time can pass, like watching a movie. I loved it when it rained! The thunder and lightning made it SO real, especially when the thunder would just CRACK like in real life ... oh I really miss it. And the snow, I fell a hundred times over the years because of ice, even black ice!