Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please stop padding the catalog.

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2017
    They do those recolors because we the end users has no access to recolor tools that we the end user need to make objects the colors we want. It is option that was taken away with other tools. How can I call certain areas revolutionary when it is not, some people just want others to be overjoyed and accept less and not more because Imo they feel their system may not cut the mustard versus those that can perform. The game does not properly scale up or down as it is in some other games where the game will perform according to each spec capability. This topping Sims 4 from reaching whatever potential there is and while Sims 4 is improving it still rather play it safe and not go outside the box and take it to the next level. How are they going to produce an Sims 5 if they continue to play it safe instead of tweaking what you have and if it take time to perfect the game then so be it because an well engineered game will make more money and less grief. I know this because I just do play Sims I play other games as well.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    edited October 2017
    Unfortunately it's not just the furniture. Have you guys seen the screenshots from CAS?
    https://simsvip.com/2017/10/09/sims-4-cats-dogs-everything-create-sim-photos/

Just look at these 12 items:
    tXUpEqi.png
    6 of the male hair styles only have the slightest difference: And that first hair style looks really familiar too.
    And then there are the clothes in the link that look way too similar to stuff we already have, like all the layered shirts for guys for example.

I really don't see any difference between those male hairstyles. They look exactly the same to me.

Check the sides, they're different.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I would prefer 32 beds for cats/dogs & doghouses than 32 stickers. Damson!

Me too
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I actually have great difficulty with visibility of the individual items in the catalog. I am sure at first they were a reasonable size and you could expand the catalog panel. But you can't any more and everything seems to have got smaller and closer together again. Really I can't use the catalog comfortably at all now. I do wish there were accessibility options to the UI.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017
    Unfortunately it's not just the furniture. Have you guys seen the screenshots from CAS?

tXUpEqi.png
    6 of the male hair styles only have the slightest difference: And that first hair style looks really familiar too.
    And then there are the clothes in the link that look way too similar to stuff we already have, like all the layered shirts for guys for example.

Don't I already have those hairstyles in the game? What is the difference from what is already in my game, my Sims were wearing some of those three years ago so I don't understand what is new about these meshes?

Only one I see different is the second hairstyle from the left is not in my game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    agustd wrote: »
    shellbeme wrote: »

tXUpEqi.png

I see both sides of this personally. On one hand, I'm annoyed along with the rest of you and when I looked through those CAS pictures I did think 'Don't we have that already?" Heck I even looked at the new world and thought it wasn't different enough...

That said, these hairstyles are VERY popular in the real world right now, and offer a change for sims of African background as stated above-I think they are a really good thing and don't mind that they are only slightly different.

How about offering us more different hairstyles for black sims instead of the same one but 6 times? Wouldn't that be a better idea? Because I'd sure love more. The game is very lacking there. There's no excuse for them, honestly. They're doing all they can to make this pack seem more "packed" than it actually is and at this point it's just embarrassing to watch.

The two curly hairstyles will look great on black female sims.
  • Options
    RubyDooRubyDoo Posts: 153 Member
    This is just embarrassing. They clearly need to get their priorities straight and maybe a bigger budget too! I’m not paying 40$ for stickers and those plum pet beds..
  • Options
    Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    They do it just because it looks like the pack is super full of objects... when actually there're 32 wall decals and so many clutter with no real use (I love clutter but c'mon, just two pet beds/pet rugs is sad!)
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • Options
    rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member

tXUpEqi.png

I see both sides of this personally. On one hand, I'm annoyed along with the rest of you and when I looked through those CAS pictures I did think 'Don't we have that already?" Heck I even looked at the new world and thought it wasn't different enough...

That said, these hairstyles are VERY popular in the real world right now, and offer a change for sims of African background as stated above-I think they are a really good thing and don't mind that they are only slightly different.

How about offering us more different hairstyles for black sims instead of the same one but 6 times? Wouldn't that be a better idea? Because I'd sure love more. The game is very lacking there. There's no excuse for them, honestly. They're doing all they can to make this pack seem more "packed" than it actually is and at this point it's just embarrassing to watch.

I think it's a shame that the shaved hairstyles aren't available for boys, that would have been a nice touch as boys could really do with more hairstyles that is available now.
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

Do you remember the name of the mod? I'd love to download it.

It's called the "Clutter Buster" and there are two or more versions, IIRC. Each tackles a different set of objects.

http://sims4studio.com/thread/2465?page=10

Thank goodness for modders. Orange Mittens is one of my favorites who has made this game imminently less annoying. Brazen Lotus is another. Plasticbox from MATY is my OG favorite modder for this version of the series. :)
    Thank you!
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    @AfterMidnight
    You're very welcome. :)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017

tXUpEqi.png

I really don't see any difference between those male hairstyles. They look exactly the same to me.

Check the sides, they're different.

Wow...lol. And curly on top? Just wow, how about some new meshes not just recycled ones. Yes, I know I'm going to be told by a guru all their assets are built from scratch..right, but it doesn't look like they are when those are the same styles we already have just buzzed and curly. ETA: Makes one believe whether true or not these were left overs from base game that never made it into game...until now. I would prefer a whole new mesh please.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    rinre33 wrote: »

tXUpEqi.png

I think it's a shame that the shaved hairstyles aren't available for boys, that would have been a nice touch as boys could really do with more hairstyles that is available now.

Maybe I'm misunderstand something here and it's been a few months since I played TS4, but wasn't it possible to use every clothing, accessoire and hair style for both genders? So you can choose the female hair styles for your boy. Or do you mean it would just be nice in general to have more hair styles in the male category?
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    > @Cynna said:
    > I happened to be looking through screenshots of the new C&D objects and something really stood out for me:
    >
    > The devs have been padding the catalog and its worst than ever. The new expansion is full of decals, posters, and pictures that could have been single objects, like the Voidcritter decals and other paintings. Yet, they made them all discrete objects. Why, why, why?
    >
    > Please, stop it.

I completely agree! And the catalogs have so many bugs, tag issues and objects in debug that should be in main catalog!!!
  • Options
    rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member

tXUpEqi.png

Maybe I'm misunderstand something here and it's been a few months since I played TS4, but wasn't it possible to use every clothing, accessoire and hair style for both genders? So you can choose the female hair styles for your boy. Or do you mean it would just be nice in general to have more hair styles in the male category?

The hairstyles which have shaved designs on them are targeted at men and available for adult sims (teen-elder). What I meant was that I wish they had made these hairstyles for boys (children) too as it's quite a popular hairstyle of choice for kids. Sorry if what I said was unclear, I usually say men/women for adult sims and boys/girls for kids
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2017

tXUpEqi.png

All they did was open up the gender requirements so hairstyles can now be used interchangeably between Male and Female.

Hairstyles are still limited by age group. So some hairstyles are only available for Children and some are only available for Teens-Elders, same for Toddlers.

I wish they would convert more hairstyles between age groups.
  • Options
    Meegie1977Meegie1977 Posts: 224 Member
    edited October 2017

I do not understand how their budget keeps them from giving us what we want! It's so frustrating to me because the game is so big, how can they not get the funding? And if they did I bet they would receive a huge profit since everyone would want the awesome game and it would all balance out.

It's probably because they're using the income from The Sim series to fund other AAA projects. That would be my guess.

I don't mind having duplicates of certain things, such as a counter that is pristine and another similar counter that has divots taken out of it. However, I do have problems with nearly identical paintings and posters being touted as separate objects. They are not, they are recolors. There's a lot of that in the original game and in other packs. Thank goodness, one of the modders has decided to condense all of those objects to make the catalog more manageable. However, that shouldn't be necessary, it should have been done by the creators.

Let's face it, a lot of us are adults. These cheesy and blatant attempts to pad the catalog just don't fly. The excuse that some people don't realise that there are swatches is just that -- an excuse. It's a poor excuse at that. Because, for one, the live stream said that a lot of the decals had no swatches. Second, live streams, tweets and blogs could have been used to encourage players to explore the swatches under all of the objects. For a third, it worked pretty well with the Voidcritter objects which were separate according to element, yet had different shapes under the swatches. That was revealed in a live stream and it was fine.

It's not as if swatches are a new concept. CAS is full of them.

I'm just the type of person who doesn't like to have my chain yanked or to be treated as if I don't have common sense. The multitude of similar objects, presented as if they are different, is just plain dishonest. Take a look at the dog and cat posters. Same darn thing. Why are they discrete objects instead of swatches? The catalog is becoming unruly enough without all the nonsense. Then there's the ridiculous roombas and bowls which are so similar as to have no difference at all. If you're going to make another object that looks different, fine. Make it look different.

I just needed to get that off of my chest.

/end rant

I completely agree on all of this, in response to the bolded, that seems like an education issue. If they really believe that the players are too silly to realise that there are swatches then they could use, twitter, the forums, facebook, IG, livestreams, pretty much every communication outlet they have to educate people about how to decorate. They could get Youtube Sims players to do a sponsored build showing all the ways and options to build. To say that they have to put the objects singularly because people don't know is ridiculous.

On a personal level, the amount of scrolling that is required to get through the catalogue increases everytime they add in items, if they break them up it like that for every pack eventually it becomes tedious. I'd love there to be a "favourites" that you could select items you use alot and go straight to that in the catalogue to find your favourite bed or pictures etc, would save sooo much searching when building.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I would prefer 32 beds for cats/dogs & doghouses than 32 stickers. Damson!

Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't give a flying plum about stickers (do they think we're all 5?) or "decals" as they call them - you might be familiar with the word decals but I'm not and as a word, I don't like it, hence the " ".
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    edited October 2017
    32 pet beds sounds like overkill to me, to be honest. Who really needs that many.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2017
    Meegie1977 wrote: »

I completely agree on all of this, in response to the bolded, that seems like an education issue. If they really believe that the players are too silly to realise that there are swatches then they could use, twitter, the forums, facebook, IG, livestreams, pretty much every communication outlet they have to educate people about how to decorate. They could get Youtube Sims players to do a sponsored build showing all the ways and options to build. To say that they have to put the objects singularly because people don't know is ridiculous.

On a personal level, the amount of scrolling that is required to get through the catalogue increases everytime they add in items, if they break them up it like that for every pack eventually it becomes tedious. I'd love there to be a "favourites" that you could select items you use alot and go straight to that in the catalogue to find your favourite bed or pictures etc, would save sooo much searching when building.

For real, though? The developers who have been around for a while know all about collections. It's a living, crying shame that collections haven't been incorporated into the base game by now. Players have to wait forever and an extra day to get it, but I'm sure that it will show up eventually.
    tobumon wrote: »
    32 pet beds sounds like overkill to me, to be honest. Who really needs that many.

Who needs that many decals? If you take into account the ones that came with DO it's beyond overkill.

For a game that has so few lots, the object creation team seems to think that we're all building a replica of Times Square, complete with all the signage.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    tobumon wrote: »

Likewise with 32 decals. For example, how many walls can you even see properly in the game when you are actually playing in the house? If I play with walls up, I can't see/find my Sims and only get a vague top view of the stuff on the walls anyhow. If I'm playing with partial walls I only have views of some of the outer walls but the inner walls are collapsed. Those decals could have easily been combined into 4 with all the others nested inside as 're-colors'. They have done this before (the surfboards) and it makes much more sense.
  • Options
    estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    I happened to be looking through screenshots of the new C&D objects and something really stood out for me:

The devs have been padding the catalog and its worst than ever. The new expansion is full of decals, posters, and pictures that could have been single objects, like the Voidcritter decals and other paintings. Yet, they made them all discrete objects. Why, why, why?

Please, stop it.

YES!!! Exactly!!! This post really resonates how I feel about the objects and clothes in the game. They have items that can be put into one. We have clothes that have the same exact silhouette but in different swatches. I don't mind it, I like swatches. But I hope they stop separating it as different clothing. It's annoying to me, makes it harder to find other clothing. Also it's deceitful, let's take Kids Stuff Pack for example, they make it appear that there are more clothing in the pack, than there really is. I looks like you have around 15 new clothes when really you only get 5 to 6.

Again, I don't have issues with the number of swatches they have for an item or clothing, just put them in one item, it's more organized that way and it's a good way for players to gauge how many items the pack has.
  • Options
    estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    edited October 2017

tXUpEqi.png

Pretty sure there will be CC for that. It is awesome The Sims have a very generous and hardworking community of players who are very creative and makes more sensible items, I honestly hope I can say the same thing to the actual developers.