Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the point of pre-order???

Comments

• Options
    xDeeDeeRamoneXxDeeDeeRamoneX Posts: 35 Member
    I only pre-order if I've already decided I'm gonna get it the instant it comes out. Because if that is the case there's also no point in not pre-ordering. Sometimes you get some bonus content.
    tumblr_o0i3p4GEGP1tjydheo1_500.gif
  • Options
    KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    Well, during the Sims 3 I pre-ordered when there were limited edition stuff coming with it (otherwise, I can wait to play it), or I didn't have a vehicle to get it. I don't normally get to play it anyway until the weekend after it comes due to school or it not getting to my house, yet (I only got physical copies). But, normally I am always certain if I actually want the game or not. The Sims 3 has been the only game I have done pre orders for. Other than the limited editions, I don't see a point in pre ordering (except maybe playing it earlier) since the game is going to come out anyway and I can wait.
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
  • Options
    tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    I pre-ordered too. Because I had the money, and I thought I was able to download it before November. But with my work, I'm able to stay busy and not able to think on how far away November is
  • Options
    UnluckywolfUnluckywolf Posts: 60 Member
    I don't like pre-ordering either unless there is a special benefit to it like a discount or special features. I've gotten to where I download Sim game from the site simply because its easier for me. If I pre-order I might forget I did and it might interfer with whatever I may be doing at that time or I might just not be on my computer that day ( though I doubt it ).
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Does anyone know if we are able to get the physical copies the day the EP is released? I live in Greece and can't find confirmation for the physical copies anywhere.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    People pre-order because usually there is a benefit. With TS4 there's only one benefit: playing it earlier. And that is an indirect benefit that EA actually doesn't advertise or even offer you (because I'm pretty sure it's an unintended benefit that origin allows but only if you don't abuse it to buy games at a cheaper price elsewhere due to differences in currency values). I'm still confused about the exact release times for cats and dogs but say the US got it sooner or HK got it sooner or the EU got it sooner, preordering allows you to download when it's released in one of those other time zones instead of waiting for the release in your own time zone. But only if you're willing to use (and possibly pay for) a VPN service. With CL this really was a huge benefit. With C&D I'm not so sure actually. Now I don't know why EA offers no real preorder bonus for the sims tbh cause they do it for plenty of their other franchises. Whether it's a free level, objects or a soundtrack. But no, if the VPN trick doesn't interest you to get the game earlier (if it releases earlier anywhere else that is), there's no benefit. Unless of course you know you have the funds now and prefer to treat yourself on the offchance you won't have those funds around release time (even if I feel there's a certain fallacy in that thought too but well). So I have to ask: why not ask yourself this question before you preorder if you are bothered by the lack of incentive?
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Every situation is different. In my case, I could get it from Amazon for $31 dollars, being a Prime member. So I have to get it while I am still a member. Also, since it's a physical copy, the only way for it to arrive on release day is to pre-order.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    There IS no point to pre-order. It gets people buying it before reviews come out. Some people get a feeling of superiority. End of story.

There IS a point to preordering if you see it on sale, like I did. At £9 off I did not want to miss the opportunity of getting it much cheaper.
  • Options
    poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    There IS no point to pre-order. It gets people buying it before reviews come out. Some people get a feeling of superiority. End of story.

I don't feel a sense of superiority in pre-ordering. I have stated in the past I do it because purchases at the time of release can give me minor issues that I attribute to server lag and by pre-ordering I can avoid that. End of story.
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2017
    Preordering a product can be an disadvantage and have advantages and work differently for different folks and it works for the developer as well through offering an bonus item or now you get to play earlier than some, this way secures a way for them to make an profit which depending on how they charge for the product. I really do not care for the carrot they dangle and that is just how I feel about it and some programs it is better to wait and forgo the bonus item and wait to see if that program really works for you. Some remember the fiasco with SimCity 2013 preordering how the program did not deliver what it was hyped to deliver. While this EP looks great and all I rather wait for the live reviews and gameplay before release. I am not bashing the EP or even disappointed in it because I am waiting and besides with plenty of new releases such as the Xbox One X and other programs November going to be a good month. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    YellebYelleb Posts: 156 Member
    Amby316 wrote:
    Have you never been to WalMart?

Yes, but where I live, it's not a huge thing like it is in America. I know that the Internet is very US-centric, but not everyone lives in the United States.
  • Options
    Shades302Shades302 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I preordered it today with the spooky stuff pack cuz the spooky stuff was on special, and I thought 'might as well get pets too'. xD It feels kinda nice knowing it is already payed for and I will have it as soon as possible when it is available. :)
    Z6gfpiv.png?1
  • Options
    UnluckywolfUnluckywolf Posts: 60 Member
    I work at WalMart ( only because I need the insurance money ) and they don't have many of the Sims games at all. In fact, I just found out about most of them less than a month ago by accident when Origin forced itself to pop up. It might not be that way everywhere, but it is where I am.
  • Options
    MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    I was asking what's the point of pre-order because i couldn't identify a single perk. Playing early would be nice, but it's not clear.
  • Options
    Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    This was my first time pre ordering a game for Sims 4. What time will it be available to download? Midnight on November 10th?
  • Options
    This was my first time pre ordering a game for Sims 4. What time will it be available to download? Midnight on November 10th?

It depends on your location. I can tell if I go to Origin.com (not opening Origin for some reason) and going into the pack. It will tell you the time it releases for you. *For me in the Eastern US it is midnight on the 10th*

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options

It depends on your location. I can tell if I go to Origin.com (not opening Origin for some reason) and going into the pack. It will tell you the time it releases for you. *For me in the Eastern US it is midnight on the 10th*

I'm in Central Time. So would that be Midnight on November 10th for me?
  • Options

Well, I believe that will put you at 11pm on the 9th. Don't hold me to that, make sure via the site.

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options

Well, I believe that will put you at 11pm on the 9th. Don't hold me to that, make sure via the site.

Ok. :smile: thanks!
  • Options

Thank you! I’m Mountain Standard time, so I will check to make sure!
  • Options

Mine says November 9 as well. It doesn’t list a time, but probably around 11pm.
  • Options

If you are Mountain time then you should be an hour ahead of Central so you should be able to download/purchase the game at 10pm.

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options

If you are Mountain time then you should be an hour ahead of Central so you should be able to download/purchase the game at 10pm.

Oh, awesome! I’m never sure how my internet connection will behave, so that lets me get started downloading a little earlier.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited October 2017
    When you click on the store page for The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs, you should see... *All though this may only show if you've pre-ordered.
    Release date:
    November 9, 2017 9:00 PM PST

@tinahjalmar I'm in CT as well. Central Time is 2 hours ahead of Pacific Time. It will be released for us November 9, 2017 11:00 PM
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    When you click on the store page for The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs, you should see... *All though this may only show if you've pre-ordered.
    Release date:
    November 9, 2017 9:00 PM PST

@tinahjalmar I'm in CT as well. Central Time is 2 hours ahead of Pacific Time. It will be released for us November 9, 2017 11:00 PM

Whoa! Awesome! Thanks!!!