Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the point of pre-order???

MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
Okay i pre-ordered the pets expansion, so what's the point of pre-ordering, I see no benefit to giving them money months in advance.

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    This should be in the Expansion Packs discussion but the biggest advantage is being able to download and play about 12 hours before actual release; 9pm Pacific or the equivalent for your time zone. So if your Internet speed is significantly faster during the night, you can download it faster and get to play with it sooner. Or you can download first thing in the morning then it's all ready when you get home from work or school.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    But I already live in pacific time zone, so what time do i get to play the new expansion?
  • Options
    VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member
    edited October 2017
    I pre ordered mine because I had the money and was sure if I would when it comes out. Now I can download it as soon as it becomes available! ☺
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell
  • Options
    Marjia wrote: »
    But I already live in pacific time zone, so what time do i get to play the new expansion?

Once its available and online download it no matter what timezone you are in.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Okay i pre-ordered the pets expansion, so what's the point of pre-ordering, I see no benefit to giving them money months in advance.

If that is the case then why Pre-Order? I usually wait for the Packs to actually come out then I buy it, I do not do the Pre-Order bit, to Me it is just not worth it, in case something happens that far ahead.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    This should be in the Expansion Packs discussion but the biggest advantage is being able to download and play about 12 hours before actual release; 9pm Pacific or the equivalent for your time zone. So if your Internet speed is significantly faster during the night, you can download it faster and get to play with it sooner. Or you can download first thing in the morning then it's all ready when you get home from work or school.

Okay that makes sense now, Hmm, not sure if I will do that, I will probably just wait for pack to come out like I always do just the same.
  • Options
    qtnikkiqtnikki Posts: 156 Member
    What happened to EA giving out special DLC like an outfit or decor item or something when you pre-order?
    Banner_zpshgf2chau.jpg
    Amateur Sim Stories
    Read more at Cosmic Sims
  • Options
    I preordered because I'm impatient.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited October 2017
    qtnikki wrote: »
    What happened to EA giving out special DLC like an outfit or decor item or something when you pre-order?
    I think because some people felt it was unfair. Those who didn't have the money to pre-order or missed out completely.
    The Origin store page for Cats & Dogs says:
    Release date:
    November 9, 2017 9:00 PM PST

You can expect to install and play at 9PM if you've pre-ordered.

Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I use it as a way to vote-with-my-wallet.

"Look, you are doing something I like. Make more things like this!"

Conversely, if there is something I don't want at all I won't buy it.
  • Options
    So there is NO advantage if i get to download and play at 9pm just like everybody who didn't pre-order. There is no incentive that i can see.
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    Noooope, I think it's more to help them determine how much sales they're going to get. There used to be perks, but not so much anymore.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    For the most part, pre-ordering is for those who want to make sure they have a reserved copy (extremely popular games) at release. And/or for any bonuses that may come only through pre-ordering. Questions to ask and answer yourself.

1. What is the point of pre-ordering? Benefits for me and the company or just the company.
    2. Should I wait for player feedback before pre-ordering to be sure there are no hidden surprises and I like the gameplay for the most part?

Personally, I don't pre-order games often. I'm still debating if I want to for Gran Turismo Sport. I mean...why not? I'm so excited for that game! :mrgreen:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=yAjr9CPBEWc
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    YellebYelleb Posts: 156 Member
    Deshong04 wrote:
    For the most part, pre-ordering is for those who want to make sure they have a reserved copy (extremely popular games) at release.

This would've made sense a decade ago when you could only buy physical copies of games. But nowadays, everything is online. So I don't really see how this makes sense, especially for The Sims...? It's not like an online multiplayer game that has limited-capacity servers.

You buy it and you have it, no matter if you pre-order it or if you buy it the second it releases. There isn't a set number of copies of this game.

The only perk that I'm aware of when you pre-order these expansion packs is that you get to download them sooner, so when they release you can play immediately instead of waiting ten more minutes for them to download.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    When you use to per-order you where able to download it earlier. Or like with the Sims, I would get my copy of the game a day or two before release. The same with Sims 2, as well as bonus stuff. And Sims 3, you could download your copy at 12 midnight. Now you get nothing, and I think that is not cool. I per-ordered Cats and Dogs because I had the money.

Other games still give bonus items and other intensives if you per-order, and you can get earlier access too. Not sure why they've changed this with the Sims.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    Yelleb wrote: »
    Deshong04 wrote:
    For the most part, pre-ordering is for those who want to make sure they have a reserved copy (extremely popular games) at release.

This would've made sense a decade ago when you could only buy physical copies of games. But nowadays, everything is online. So I don't really see how this makes sense, especially for The Sims...? It's not like an online multiplayer game that has limited-capacity servers.

You buy it and you have it, no matter if you pre-order it or if you buy it the second it releases. There isn't a set number of copies of this game.

The only perk that I'm aware of when you pre-order these expansion packs is that you get to download them sooner, so when they release you can play immediately instead of waiting ten more minutes for them to download.

Not everyone prefers digital only, so it still applies in some sense. There is also the issue whether one even has internet and/or good enough internet connection.

For physical copies, there is a set number of copies. Digital copies...no.

TS4 pre-orders that provides no incentives and allows you to play sooner...hmm. If that's what some like and are into. Continue to support the minimalist approach. :p
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,571 Member
    I pre-ordered when I had the money for it, too. It does come out the month before the major Holiday. This way I could 'treat' myself without feeling guilty that it might detract from other gift-giving.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    Here's a dumb question: are those who preordered getting Cats & Dogs earlier? On my receipt and in my Origin library it says it'll be available 9th November at 11pm and initially I just put it down to timezones because I'm in the UK, but now I'm actually thinking about it the US is behind us so that wouldn't make sense. I feel like I'm missing something or being really stupid here but yeeaahh...
  • Options
    YellebYelleb Posts: 156 Member
    Deshong04 wrote:
    Not everyone prefers digital only, so it still applies in some sense. There is also the issue whether one even has internet and/or good enough internet connection.

TS4 pre-orders that provides no incentives and allows you to play sooner...hmm. If that's what some like and are into. Continue to support the minimalist approach. :p

Yeah, fair. But physical copies still aren't as sought after as they were a decade ago, so I highly doubt anyone would have to pre-order to make sure they got one. If it is the case, however, then I guess that's a perk to pre-ordering.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a copy of The Sims 4 (or any of it's stuff, game or expansion packs) in actual stores. Like, in the three years it's been out I've genuinely never seen it on a shelf. That's kind of wild.
  • Options
    Amby316Amby316 Posts: 1,408 Member

Yeah, fair. But physical copies still aren't as sought after as they were a decade ago, so I highly doubt anyone would have to pre-order to make sure they got one. If it is the case, however, then I guess that's a perk to pre-ordering.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a copy of The Sims 4 (or any of it's stuff, game or expansion packs) in actual stores. Like, in the three years it's been out I've genuinely never seen it on a shelf. That's kind of wild.

Have you never been to WalMart?
  • Options
    Deshong04 wrote:

It could be true but I doubt digital would dramatically overwhelm physical purchases as many gamers still prefer disks.

According to these threads, there are reasons why someone might prefer physical disks over digital and vice versa.
    https://www.gamespot.com/forums/playstation-nation-1000002/digital-copy-vs-physical-disc-game-31385784/?page=1
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2wedhg/ps4_buying_digital_download_vs_physical_disc_the/
    https://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/digital-vs-physical-purchases-31174868/

Just because you have not seen physical copies of TS4 in your area doesn't equate to digital overwhelms physical versions by a landslide overall. The last time I went to GameStop, they had a display shelf full of TS4. Which doesn't mean much at all. Could be unpopular, some may prefer digital only, etc. Maybe next time I will ask about it out of curiosity.

Of course, I mostly play console games and I don't own TS4 so relating directly to TS4 specifically which is more popular among fans I don't know. But the debate of games in general Digital VS Physical I would guess both are almost equally purchased.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited October 2017
    So there is NO advantage if i get to download and play at 9pm just like everybody who didn't pre-order. There is no incentive that i can see.

I’m confused. Then why did you pre-order? No one forced you to pre-order. I’m even more confused why you started up a thread to complain about pre-ordering for no benefit when, again, no one forced you to pre-order? You lost out on all that interest you would made on that $40 in the next 4.5 weeks, lol.
  • Options
    Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member

I wish it were only 10 minutes!! With my Internet speeds I'm looking at least an hour! :neutral:
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    There's no reason to but I like getting the 'keying in my card number' thing out of the way when it comes out. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    There IS no point to pre-order. It gets people buying it before reviews come out. Some people get a feeling of superiority. End of story.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.