Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Detective career broken?

Comments

• Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,185 Member
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have a question directly about this problem...and as this one exists...has the detective career been fixed since the last september patch or is it still borked?

I really like to let one of my Sims play a detective career but this has discouraged me.
  • Options
    TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    Yep, it's still borked. That doesn't mean you can't have fun with it, or beat it. Colonel Lilith Vatore has solved 7 crimes so far.
    Sometimes the crook won't match the clues. Sometimes the clues will contradict one another. If you Save the game when you arrive at the crime scene, you can arrest the wrong person, get out, and get back into the game without any penalty. Then just repeat till you get the right person (if they show up).
    It does seem to get easier as you gain rank. Sometimes you'll arrive and the person matching all the clues will be standing right in front of you. You'll never know, which I think is part of the fun.
    Some people say: "The game is borked. I'm not gonna play it."
    Other people say: "The game is borked. I have to be more creative."
    7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • Options
    HeckinGodzillaHeckinGodzilla Posts: 49 Member
    Just made a detective sim last week. I played it and my first arrest the suspect looked nothing like the description. I pretty much ignored the bug until I had to arrest someone else and there were no clues whatsoever that matched anyone on the premise. Ended up using cheats to promote my sim to the top of the career after several sim days of not catching anyone.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I hope they will fix this sometime soon, I haven't tried the cop yet but I'm hesitant to start it. Or this is a bug of a serious nature to me so I would like to see it fixed. It would feel less reassuring adding more careers and expansions on top if the older ones are not maintained.

Hope that it is just something that needs tlc and that they are working on it.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Still messed up. I started a save with a detective sim after the last patch and those same bugs are still there and I gave up and had her get another job.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,630 Member
    Just made a detective sim last week. I played it and my first arrest the suspect looked nothing like the description. I pretty much ignored the bug until I had to arrest someone else and there were no clues whatsoever that matched anyone on the premise. Ended up using cheats to promote my sim to the top of the career after several sim days of not catching anyone.

The last time I played this career, which was fairly recently, I found out that I just had to keep going back for more clues. Analyzing the evidence, looking at the board, etc. When he went out for the A.P.B., the suspect was not a teen, but rather an elder. I took a chance and arrested the dude. But, when I played it through the very first time, this wasn't a problem at all. Either one of the GPs, EPs, or a patch broke it. I'm hoping that along with the new career, they'll have fixed this problem. I love the Detective career.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I'm hoping they fix this problem by the end of the year. But I'm not particularly optimistic.
  • Options
    Yep, it's still borked. That doesn't mean you can't have fun with it, or beat it. Colonel Lilith Vatore has solved 7 crimes so far.
    Sometimes the crook won't match the clues. Sometimes the clues will contradict one another. If you Save the game when you arrive at the crime scene, you can arrest the wrong person, get out, and get back into the game without any penalty. Then just repeat till you get the right person (if they show up).
    It does seem to get easier as you gain rank. Sometimes you'll arrive and the person matching all the clues will be standing right in front of you. You'll never know, which I think is part of the fun.
    Some people say: "The game is borked. I'm not gonna play it."
    Other people say: "The game is borked. I have to be more creative."

Thanks. I will make a new save before heading out then.

10-16-17_11-09-10%C2%A0PM.png?psid=1

Just got my own little noobie-cop out on patrol. First time she went to the station she wondered to herself, are there only female cops, young female cops in this place. Some of them are sure pretty. Second day on the job she goes to say hi to her new boss.... Don Lothario.

Well, I think I can have fun with this. My little sim is a peaceloving little unflirty do-gooder. We will see what happens.
  • Options
    INeedAVacationINeedAVacation Posts: 32 Member
    I had a whole string of clues today. Only one of them matched.

Clues; Adult, female, brown hair, evil trait, wears jumper, wears skirt.

The criminal: Yuki Behr! A teen, female, blue hair, good trait, wearing a tshirt and trousers.

I have a few community created houses and a few community created Sims, but Yuki wasn't one of them.

What's going on? :S
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I had a whole string of clues today. Only one of them matched.

Clues; Adult, female, brown hair, evil trait, wears jumper, wears skirt.

The criminal: Yuki Behr! A teen, female, blue hair, good trait, wearing a tshirt and trousers.

I have a few community created houses and a few community created Sims, but Yuki wasn't one of them.

What's going on? :S

Relax, Yuki Behr is a walkby Sim. The game will pull Sims for different needs. In this case, she became the suspect. I learned the hard way that these walk by Sims aren't actual Townies that you can expect to appear in each game save in the same neighborhood. Unlike Sims 2 & 3, certain Sims were always there, no matter what. Unless they died. I lost my Founder's wife and my Founder on the very same Sim day, just hours apart. Their three sons carried on without them. My chosen Heir took the reigns, but I stumbled in my Legacy Challenge, when I didn't have a male Sim, who generated the chosen Trait, to make him the actual heir. I had the parents have a second child, another boy, but again lacking the Trait needed. I had them try again. Twin girls. Suddenly, since my heir's younger brother still lived with them, I found myself running out of room. Moved out the brother, moved out the eldest son. He could no longer be the heir, since I moved him out. Face/palm. Then I reread the rules for the Challenge and realized, I didn't have to move him out, nor did I need to have the parents try again. I could have just selected him. (Always good to check out that codicil. I could have saved myself a bunch of grief.) Then I got it into my head to simply go back, recreate the couple and have them have kids. Just restart with chapter Two, if you will. That's when it hit me. Since I couldn't find her anywhere, (and then I think I came here to the forums for confirmation) — the walk bys are randomized, unique. Only the ones living in the houses in the neighborhoods are in each new game save. Had I thought about it long enough, I would simply have used a photo of her to recreate her. But, I waited about a year and then started anew using the same Founder, complete with the same backstory. Unfortunately, the first story (mostly taken from what happened in the game), was quite a story!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options

Whee!! I made my first arrest and all the clues fit!! :)

Ok, there were very few clues because I was less stellar in finding them in the first place but now I have scouted the internet a bit for what to look for next time I have to sweep a crimescene. Very happy that I had made that save in case the clues did not fit.
  • Options
    INeedAVacationINeedAVacation Posts: 32 Member
    The last two subjects matched perfectly! Hooray! Sadly, I got bored and have moved onto a Big Brother house. Pleased to see it’s fixed though! Maybe the latest patch sorted it?
  • Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    At this point I don't think they'll ever fix it. Might as well just hope for a modder to do something that could be a work around. Heck, no performance loss when you arrest someone might be the most helpful. That way you can just arrest whoever until you get it right.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Ok, there were very few clues because I was less stellar in finding them in the first place but now I have scouted the internet a bit for what to look for next time I have to sweep a crimescene. Very happy that I had made that save in case the clues did not fit.

I always waited until I had all five clues or is it six before I accused anyone and it always worked but the game has bug where they may never show up at all since the gender patch way back.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

I always waited until I had all five clues or is it six before I accused anyone and it always worked but the game has bug where they may never show up at all since the gender patch way back.

I watch a lot of mystery and suspense shows, so this career is right up my alley, so to speak. I have my Detective photograph and then collect the evidence. I believe I discovered the 'sweeping' action by accident, in that I clicked on a hallway once and it gave me the option to search for clues. I do that every time now. I also photograph the objects, if there are any, that need to be fingerprinted. I have him check every room plus the outside perimeter, if it's at a house.

I had all kinds of clues stacked up in the notebook. The A.P.B. brought me to a place where no one met the criteria. Then one time I was astonished to find an elderly man dressed as the suspect should be. I arrested him. I never got a chance to interrogate him (my favorite part), but he didn't threaten to sue, either. Sometimes being a detective requires outside the box thinking.

I will be attempting this career again, once the child Sim in question becomes an adult.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I watch a lot of mystery and suspense shows, so this career is right up my alley, so to speak. I have my Detective photograph and then collect the evidence. I believe I discovered the 'sweeping' action by accident, in that I clicked on a hallway once and it gave me the option to search for clues. I do that every time now. I also photograph the objects, if there are any, that need to be fingerprinted. I have him check every room plus the outside perimeter, if it's at a house.

I had all kinds of clues stacked up in the notebook. The A.P.B. brought me to a place where no one met the criteria. Then one time I was astonished to find an elderly man dressed as the suspect should be. I arrested him. I never got a chance to interrogate him (my favorite part), but he didn't threaten to sue, either. Sometimes being a detective requires outside the box thinking.

I will be attempting this career again, once the child Sim in question becomes an adult.

Good luck because last time I played ( a few months ago) it was still broken.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,468 Member

Good luck because last time I played ( a few months ago) it was still broken.

This! This career is well and truly broken :'( If you manage to progress, it'll be luck more than design!
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Im just going to assume this will never be fixed, its been reported enough over the last year to gurus on twitter and there are threads over in the bug section. I know i reported this back in march and was asked for my save file.
  • Options
    Well, since I have completed this one in the past, I will just use the MCCC mod to advance my Sim, no worries. I don't like following Sims to their work when there are toddlers in the household. I don't like the loss of time.
  • Options

Think I had four clues this time. Since it worked so well the first time I am just going to hope that the career has been fixed. Hope springs eternal.

I really do not like the idea of older things in the game being left broken and then adding new things on top. However I have encountered this before in other games I have played.
  • Options
    Rangerfan7891Rangerfan7891 Posts: 7 New Member
    Unfortunately, the career was always broken for me. When it was announced I was very excited to play it but finding the suspects was always an issue. Clues never matched, the criminal sim never showed up, or bystanders just stopped interacting with my sim entirely. The expansion was released in March 2015 and it feels like it's been broken since then, I could be wrong though. I doubt it will ever be fixed. The firefighter and other ambitions careers from Sims 3 were never fixed either.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited October 2017

Think I had four clues this time. Since it worked so well the first time I am just going to hope that the career has been fixed. Hope springs eternal.

I really do not like the idea of older things in the game being left broken and then adding new things on top. However I have encountered this before in other games I have played.

It is a bit naughty when the content thats broken is still being sold and physically advertised to sell the pack as a whole, theres a detective on the box art.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the career was always broken for me. When it was announced I was very excited to play it but finding the suspects was always an issue. Clues never matched, the criminal sim never showed up, or bystanders just stopped interacting with my sim entirely. The expansion was released in March 2015 and it feels like it's been broken since then, I could be wrong though. I doubt it will ever be fixed. The firefighter and other ambitions careers from Sims 3 were never fixed either.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know I re-started my failed Legacy Challenge back in 2015, and my Gen. Two heir went into the Detective Career in December of 2015. He became a Chief is all I can say by early 2016. So, it wasn't always broken, at least not in my game.

• Options
    Just arrested a criminal after interrogation.

When I went to make the arrest the clues were completely wrong. I just looked for what the witnesses were doing, the rest of them were all pointing at a specific corner of the room. There were two people there so I did a took a lucky guess.

This career has not been fixed, it was Caleb the vampire that was the criminal. According to the clues he is a gloomy female with black hair wearing a tank top.
  • Options
    Just arrested a criminal after interrogation.

When I went to make the arrest the clues were completely wrong. I just looked for what the witnesses were doing, the rest of them were all pointing at a specific corner of the room. There were two people there so I did a took a lucky guess.

This career has not been fixed, it was Caleb the vampire that was the criminal. According to the clues he is a gloomy female with black hair wearing a tank top.

Ah, yes, but isn't gender 'fluid' these days? :open_mouth:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top