Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How will breeding work?

Comments

• Options
    floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    And I'm also sad you can't sell the puppies/kittens, that would give us another "hobby-job" after all. Just like painting or writing, but with more effort and much more puppies. Who doesn't want puppies?

I totally agree! I was really disappointed about that as breeding is a real job. And it would be tons of fun in TS4, and a great addition that hasn't yet been in the franchise. However, I know the pack will still be awesome! Hopefully, there will be a mod that adds in selling puppies/kittens.

Maybe once the pack is released someone will make a mod that allows puppies and kittens to be sold.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I never want the selling and buying of pets in my game. They should be treated with the same respect as your sim kids and toddlers. Would you sell them if you could? No, the devs have it right, no selling.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited October 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I never want the selling and buying of pets in my game. They should be treated with the same respect as your sim kids and toddlers. Would you sell them if you could? No, the devs have it right, no selling.

That's...why we're hoping for a mod. I know that some people value animals more than humans, but they are not equal.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I don't think pets will be running rampant through the city streets procreating on every corner. I think the devs are smart enough to make breeding a command and only by command. I don't expect my pet to get knocked up by the local stray. A lot of these issues are just simple logic.

They might have days when they are "in heat" and will autonomously try for baby. This could result in kittens/puppies if not spayed/neutered, but won't if they are. That's how it works IRL.
  • Options
    AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    And I'm also sad you can't sell the puppies/kittens, that would give us another "hobby-job" after all. Just like painting or writing, but with more effort and much more puppies. Who doesn't want puppies?

I totally agree! I was really disappointed about that as breeding is a real job. And it would be tons of fun in TS4, and a great addition that hasn't yet been in the franchise. However, I know the pack will still be awesome! Hopefully, there will be a mod that adds in selling puppies/kittens.

They’ve probably avoided it all these years because it’s a controversial career choice. Someone will probably make a mod like you said though.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited October 2017
    simgame wrote: »
    Since they confirmed that pets won't be controlable; How will breeding puppies and kittens work? Cause u can't control them

When the male doggy likes a female doggy...........

The same way it worked in S2. There will be a command.

No same-sex try for baby?
  • Options
    FKM100 wrote: »
    Interesting question. Autonomous reproduction (and its unwanted consequences) would certainly be truer to life, but I'm not sure that EA is interested in giving us an object lesson in the responsibilities of pet-ownership. Either way, I look forward to finding out the answer.

Cats and Dogs EP + Parenthood GP, be responsable about your pets will raise your respobsability character value
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    With all the complaints in S3 about herds of horses running around everywhere, I doubt if they will make the same mistake again. I don't think there will be very many strays at all and I'm sure they will only breed if adopted into your family and told so to do.

if that were so why even add neutering seem like a wast of time if its only by command also they can add a cap for animals just like sims @Dannydanbo
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options

They’ve probably avoided it all these years because it’s a controversial career choice. Someone will probably make a mod like you said though.

breeding animals to sell is not controversial there are lots of good breeders that treat there animals better then people
  • Options
    edited October 2017

breeding animals to sell is not controversial there are lots of good breeders that treat there animals better then people

It is actually. Lots of people have issues with people having puppy mills with no real care for animals or people selling puppies out of their trunk with no permit or shots for the puppies. Or people breeding breeds irresponsibly and spreading genetic deficiancies. There are breeds under fire for irresponsible breeding for years such as bulldogs, pugs, munchkin cats, dauschunds, Rhodesian ridgebacks, and many more. Shelters are overflowing with animals so they had to make breeding a permit required profession. There are millions of strays and in large cities they are resorting to catch spay and release to help the insane number of feral cats. You can’t just decide to breed pets because the pet population has to be regulated and that’s why it’s controversial.
  • Options

It is actually. Lots of people have issues with people having puppy mills with no real care for animals or people selling puppies out of their trunk with no permit or shots for the puppies. Or people breeding breeds irresponsibly and spreading genetic deficiancies. There are breeds under fire for irresponsible breeding for years such as bulldogs, pugs, munchkin cats, dauschunds, Rhodesian ridgebacks, and many more. Shelters are overflowing with animals so they had to make breeding a permit required profession. There are millions of strays and in large cities they are resorting to catch spay and release to help the insane number of feral cats. You can’t just decide to breed pets because the pet population has to be regulated and that’s why it’s controversial.

Bulldogs?
    What deficiency or defect have them?
    I say, compared with other breeds you named
  • Options
    leo3487 wrote: »

Bulldogs?

Heart, eyes, sinus, legs, and bone structure along with food allergies. I work at a boarding/vet center and volunteer at shelters so I have a lot of random pet knowledge.
  • Options

I said breeders not puppy meal owners there's a big difference and a permit is required for any business
    while there are a lot of strays this is not the fault of breeders if there are any strays from breeders it's the fault of the new owners
    not the breeders who want the animals to go to good homes and will even take animals back if there not wanted
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Bulldogs were bred to have extremely flat faces, because people think it's cute. Although it means that many can't breath properly, which weakens their heart and makes their life span shorter.

Breeding is definitely controversial. Of course, there are great breeders out there. But for each responsible one there are 10 bad ones. Breeders often look for physical attributes, which means they use a small genetic pool leading to hereditary diseases. Moreover, some use a female dog too many times for breeding, which can endanger her. And then there is surely the ethical question, if a creature should be up for sale in the first place.

• Options
    leo3487 wrote: »

Bulldogs?

Heart, eyes, sinus, legs, and bone structure along with food allergies. I work at a boarding/vet center and volunteer at shelters so I have a lot of random pet knowledge.

I grew up on a farm and my aunt is a breeder so I have a lot knowledge as well
  • Options

I said breeders not puppy meal owners there's a big difference and a permit is required for any business
    while there are a lot of strays this is not the fault of breeders if there are any strays from breeders it's the fault of the new owners
    not the breeders who want the animals to go to good homes and will even take animals back if there not wanted

I didnt say its anyone's fault. I just said breeding for money is controversial (if done incorrectly.) The idea of breeding being someone's main profession and not a hobby implies they have many, many dogs. More dogs than they could give individual attention to. This is because females only go into heat at select times and in order to have year round income you would need several females. They are also supposed to have a rest period between litters but people relying on income often ignore those needs. You also need many males for genetic diversity. This is why most breeders have kennels but the line between kennel and puppy mill has been blurred over the years. Ethically there are a lot of different ways to be a breeder and thats how it can be seen as controversial
  • Options
    we're taking things off topic so this is the last thing I will say
    The idea of breeding being someone's main profession and not a hobby implies they have many, many dogs.
    not true there are some very pricey animals out there
  • Options
    The idea of breeding being someone's main profession and not a hobby implies they have many, many dogs.

You are just picking random points you disagree with. This doesn't change the fact that breeding for money is controversial. The fact we are having this discussion proves there is controversy...
  • Options
    edited October 2017

You are just picking random points you disagree with. This doesn't change the fact that breeding for money is controversial. The fact we are having this discussion proves there is controversy...

ok I cant help myself your right theres controversy but if there were no breeders there would be no breeds
    and as far as a lot of people go you can pry there favorite fur baby breed from there cold dead fingers because thats the only way they will ever stop loving them and if there were no money in it people wouldn't do it
    and I hope the reason that pets aren't sellable is just because they couldn't work it in not because some people find it controversial
    I'm glad spay and neuter is in the game because whether you want them to or not animals breed
  • Options

ok I cant help myself your right there controversy but if there were no breeders there would be no breeds
    and as far as a lot of people go you can prey there favorite fur baby breed from there cold dead fingers because thats the only way they will ever
    stop loving them and if there were no money in it people wouldn't do it
    and I hope the reason that pets aren't sellable is just because they couldn't work it in not because some people find it controversial
    I'm glad spay and neuter is in the game because whether you want them to or not animals breed

I'm not against breeding or having specific breeds at all nor am I against people who are breeders. I actually find all the breeds and their histories fascinating and am sad to know how much we have hurt some of the breeds in this last century. I just hear a lot of both sides of the argument where I work and said perhaps EA didn't implement breeding for money because of the controversy.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    well I'm glad they let us breed in game its going to be a lot of fun and I hope you have lots of fun to @AndreaTheHero
    I hope we all have fun whatever we do with the new pack :)<3
  • Options
    well I'm glad they let us breed in game its going to be a lot of fun and I hope you have lots of fun to @AndreaTheHero

Agreed and I hope you do too. One of the things I look forward too most is making a storyline for my sims like the beginning or 101 Dalmatians where a couple meets because of their dogs
  • Options

Agreed and I hope you do too. One of the things I look forward too most is making a storyline for my sims like the beginning or 101 Dalmatians where a couple meets because of their dogs

sounds great
  • Options
    simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
    I don’t get how breeding us controversial. Most people get their dogs from breeders
  • Options
    simgame wrote: »
    I don’t get how breeding us controversial. Most people get their dogs from breeders

I know right