Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you raise your sims children?

FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
We have a lot of family players amongst us and with the parenthood pack it's more fun to have a variety in stories and how everyone raises their children to grow up to be... well whatever you want. Not everyone is in for the well mannered kids or successful sims :p

So my question is, how do YOU raise your sims children? Do they have a specific bedtime? Do you plan weekend for fun days and what do you do? Do they have a connection with their parents or other family members? Do you even care about educating your toddler/child in good and bad manners?
Do you allow them to go out late at night or do whatever they want with their lives?

Just some questions to give you an idea of what i would like to know :)
SO share!!
My story

I care a lot about a good family play story. Till now i have only raised good children, so no evil ones, but that might be for another time. My first generation had just 1 kid who had a bad relationship with his father that i did on purpose, so he spend more time with his mom like going to the park or have a conversation and nice interactions. There wasnt much in gameplay that time. He was living on his own most of the time and had his own decisions in his daily life like skipping school, choosing his friends to hang out with etc. He moved out as a teen to live with his friends.

Now his family which is the 3th generation is raised with a lot more love from both parents. The mother spends fun times with the children and they watch movies on evenings and help with their homework, eat breakfast and dinner together etc. They also are more involved in teaching them good manners in general, but not too much. They have 3 childs and a business so its a bit busy, but its a loving family with a colourful environment. They have the weekend off and plan fun activities or visit other cities and explore festivals. The children also go to bed around 9/10 and should sleep before midnight.
Post edited by FurSimsOfficial on

Comments

• Options
    RLRL Posts: 305 Member
    I don't have Parenthood yet (still deciding if I want it or not)...

I play crazy chaotic households with a lot of kids (a WYDC and an ISBI with big generations (4-6 kids)) so generally the kids run wild and do what they want. Sometimes they get to go visit community lots or people's houses.
    Check out the Sutherland ISBI!
    (Disclaimer: This blog is mainly an outlet for my weird humour)
    Click anyway! ⬇️️⬇️️⬇️️
    w2HyQcq.png
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    My parents only love the heir/heiress. Everyone else gets kicked out of the house. Thus far they have moved in with other relatives.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I just started playing a serious legacy game and all I have are toddlers. Devin the heir and his younger twin sisters. The oldest male is always the heir in my legacy games. With TS3 I would send the females children off to boarding school while the boys lived at home going to public school and getting spoiled...LOL

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    I have to admit, I kind of let the kids run wild and free, and they tend to interact with each other and the grandparents, who are almost always living in the same house, rather than their busy parents. I tend to spoil them all rotten, though!
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,559 Member
    me best way to play is aging fully off no storys
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I push them to get high grades, master their skills & complete their aspirations, but it's not all drudgery, they get to go to the park on Saturdays & teens can go out Friday & Saturday nights. The youngest is always the heir, but the catch is that they have to live with & take care of their parents in their old age.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    funny how everyone plays different then i thought. The whole household planning and amount of who gets to stay changes a lot in the stories i see. Hope to read more stories :)
  • Options
    naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    I don't focus on all the kids because I tend to have a lot (like, more than 4) and I also have to care about the other members. They all have a club most of the time though, and they do their homework. For the rest, it depends who I'm focusing on and what I want him/her to be.
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif

• Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    I have a hard enough time keeping my sims on a normal sleep schedule so that they don't pass out as soon as they get home from work and wake up fully rested at 1am, so...

I love doing Legacies and seeing how the family evolves over the generations, but I'm not incredibly good about actually raising the families. I also actually like the variety of having some kids turn out great and some turn out horrible, so I'm more than happy to welcome bad traits into the house and let the kids break curfew/be mean/skip school if they choose to act out. Some of my generations are wonderful and great and well-behaved while others are filled with mortal enemy siblings.

My parent sims, depending on their personality often, are also of varying levels of attentive. Sometimes they'll be all in, and sometimes they literally almost never interact. Discipline is usually touch and go in my games. It's pretty much all fair game, and I manipulate their actions maybe 50% of the time.

I have a household now with four child-aged girls and so far they just sort of run amok while their parents are workaholics who freelance on the side of having day jobs.

My other household is a disaster and everyone hates everyone and everyone's got terrible traits from Parenthood.

Also, if my sims can afford it, I send the parents alone on vacation during the baby/toddler years, or else spend a lot of time away from home or fast-forwarding. I can't. I just can't do it.
    a63ftuN.png
  • Options
    kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    I'm a bit of a slave driver with my sims. I play on normal lifespan and I challenge myself with every toddler to get the top notch toddler trait. So it's basically one big grind for them. I feel bad for these kids! As children I make them complete the motor aspiration so they can have the physically gifted trait and then with my left over childhood time, I max out the manners, empathy, responsibility and emotional control trait. With teens I grind to get them as far ahead to help with their careers later. I never really worry about the conflict resolution trait though I probably should.

It's such a relief when they hit young adulthood and can party and have fun!
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    depends on the family some kids have more skills than others some are more likely to do their homework, sometimes this stuff is autonomous but if you never make your sim do them they may not it's a fun mix.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    tinkerbell3552tinkerbell3552 Posts: 104 Member
    I can't help but try to get As for kids and teens, and work on all the skills for all ages. I can't even think of a time when I've let one slack off, even the ones that aren't heirs I push. Sometimes I take them all to the local toddler park and have the kids do their homework while the toddler plays lol.
  • Options
    JosieAnglinJosieAnglin Posts: 591 Member
    Age the little devils up ASAP so they can contribute money to the household >:) >:)
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,381 Member
    edited October 2017
    My sim parents are usually pretty easy going, they let their kids have leeway but there's a point that Dad explodes. Toddler vamp pushed Dad, Gunther just a little too far by refusing to do something. Gunther let him have a "talking to." So cute...totally autonomously. I was having a good time just watching them. I usually don't have them dot on the kids, Lilith has a paint from home job and Gunther is stay at home author/writer which is perfect for Joshua.

Letting sim tots and kids run wild feels like it's wrong, lol. (My generation gap is showing.) Just.can't.do.it. :D

Edit for typo
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    It depends entirely on the parents' personalities for me. Some kids in my game had the worst possible upbringing imaginable, while others got the best. Some parents care a lot about grades and will push their children to be the best, others will be more supportive and help them become the best, while still others couldn't care less.

So far with parenthood out I've raised four kids (I tend to focus on one family so): one maintained an A average throughout his entire middle- and high school career and gained all positive parenthood trait, the other two (twins so had the same parents) never had the best of grades and were kind of spoiled (the girl's relationship with her father became daddy's little girl and the guy was a momma's boy haha) but still got mostly positive parenthood traits, while the last one (who is actually the first one's father so he's not really the last :joy:) had an F average since high school, gained all possible negative parenthood traits except for good manners (because his stepfather pushed him to be polite) and absolutely hates his family now. So, yeah... :sweat_smile:
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    If it's just one child, I try to teach them manners, skills, so forth. With school age kids I try to make sure they do their homework, eat, and shower before bed. I also try to work on the childhood aspiration. If it's multiple kids in the house I just throw my hands up in the air and let them do what they want. :D
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'd love to leave the AI to take care of the toddlers but it's so crap I'm afraid the kids will be taken away. It's already happened to me once!
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    All my families end up having children as that is how I can continue the family line in the game. I roll random traits for my children and usually base how they act from those traits. In general most of my children are good though and I don't usually have evil (although sometimes I do have mean) kids. Sorry this is a long synopsis of how I play the kids, but I just love them!!

As toddlers I kind of let them do whatever for the most part. I don't usually potty train them to avoid getting the bonus traits that allow for skill and career gain faster. Unless I have a really smart kid (genius trait). I don't find the game as challenging when skills build faster than what is in the original game.

As kids they normally lead a pretty dull life. It is at this point I usually decide if I want them to have any character values turn into traits (weather it be negative or positive). On weekends they do things like go to the park, bowling, etc. Or sometimes they have lazy days around the house. They always go to school....I don't do homework as often as I used to now as it raises the responsibility character value quite fast and I don't always want them to have that character value turn into a trait. When they get home from school they will do fun activities, eat dinner, do some more fun activities and usually bedtime around 9. Once again, I never let them max their aspiration to avoid the skill boost they would get.

Once they are teens they still go to school every day and don't do homework as much as they used too (responsibility character trait once again). I do get them to the grade level I have planned for them in my head (depending on their traits). Most of my Sims end up being 'B' or 'C' students as they are pretty good, average kids. I usually have them start working on some skills (their hobbies in my head) and I find some of them a boyfriend or girlfriend. They usually go to bed around 10ish on week nights and whatever time they want on weekends. Curfew is only sometimes set (sometimes 9, sometimes 11) - depending on the parents. Some teens will break curfew, again depending on their traits and the story line I've set for them...

Well that is my long-winded explanation of how I play kids (toddlers through teens). They really are the focus of my game and I almost never am playing with single Sims. I play this game for the family lifestyle because that is what I enjoy about the game. I love watching how the genetics and such play out down a long family line.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,206 Member
    I have a nice legacy going where I try to make sure that the entire family spends lots of time together doing something fun. Its the first time I've ever done this in any sim game. One thing I do differently is I try to space my children out so that each one gets attention from the parents when it comes to teaching responsibility, empathy, etc...
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,185 Member

>>snipsnip<<

So my question is, how do YOU raise your sims children? Do they have a specific bedtime? Do you plan weekend for fun days and what do you do? Do they have a connection with their parents or other family members? Do you even care about educating your toddler/child in good and bad manners?
    Do you allow them to go out late at night or do whatever they want with their lives?

Just some questions to give you an idea of what i would like to know :)
    SO share!!

>>snipsnip<<

Bedtime, curfews and go out at night. Depends on what kind of parent. I play through storylines and the personality of my Sims. Is a parent strict or an involved parent? A drunk? Abusive? Uninterested? Who knows. The children; will it affect their personality, skill levels, their ability to navigate through life and future prosects? Possibly. It's a journey I wont know until I know.

Plans over the weekends and togetherness time same as above. For instance my gay couple are very involved but not overly strict. No set bedtime and being out after dark ONLY in backyard. They went "camping". Well, they rented a cabin (she is squemish so...) but also bought a tent and supplies and did two days of four, camping in the woods. The girl did handle it a bit better than I expected although she got homesick. Heck they ALL got homesick.

I also had them go to the Fleamarket together when it came up and later I plan on having them go together to a festival. The Goths seniors are not very much involved in their kids lives and planned outings haven't happened there yet. Although, next time I play the Goths I am planning on having Cassandra take Alexander to the Geekcon and when he grows up I will probably choose the Geek trait for him. It does seem to suit him. Maybe he will be a programmer when he grows up or a webmaster. Or just insane. Don't know. The journey aint over.

But to be honest I am not overy fond of Sim toddlers or children. I don't hate them, they are necessary. Children are more bearable because they are useful although I wish they could clean. I DO like teens though. That is where the fun begins.

As for aspiration choosing and skills I usually just go by the ear of what I feel is right for each Sim personality wise and even for story purposes. For instance when I made my gay couple I wanted one as a detective (I didn't realise when I bought the basegame that the Police was not included) and the other as an artist and I chose their aspirations and traits that would fit/suit those careers. I do same with the sprogs as they grow up.

With toddlers; the only one in my game atm is my insane Sim's daughter. To be honest I have no idea what she will be so I just chose her thing at toddlerhood at random (don't even remember what she got). But I usually try to see a some sort of a personality beforehand but I don't always have a storyline fleshed out completely. Its actually more fun that way :wink:

My only children so far in my rotation atm are Alexander Goth and the adopted daughter of my gay couple.

With Alexander I just let him do his thing. In the family my focus is really on Cassandra (which is also neclected by her her parents but she is doing just fine imho) as she will take over as head of the Goth family. I think she is up for the task.

I also am focusing on old Morty's writing career and his extramarital affairs and as Bella is the first one I play in the intelligence career she also get my focus. So poor Alex gets to do his own thing. Which really does fit my first impression when I first entered this household. I mean, his room is in the attic. Right now he (and Cassie) is a C student (trying to up to to at least a B but he really isn't a studying kind I find). But he is a bookworm and is now focusing on completing his aspiration (the one he came with). May have him complete another one after that one. Not sure though. To be honest, I rosebudded this family up the proverbial yasooh so they really don't have to do nothing other than procreate and secure future progeny.

The adopted girl is different. As an only child (for now) in this household she gets a bit more attention from me. A straight A student and can breeze through her homework. Her dads are very proud of her although to be honest I have NO idea how that 'A' happened other than she finished her homework a few days in a row. I really thought she would need something else like the study hard option while at school. My focus there was meet/make friends. She is good friends with Alexander and the other child in Willow Creek that lives in a house (the Lewis girl).

For a kid, she is pretty cool. Except when she plays the violin. No. Yeah...instruments is not she! Although she has a nice 'singing in the shower' voice. She came with the squemish trait (adopted as a child) and when she grows up her other traits will be vegetarian and creative. I find it suits both her aspiration she came with and the future I see for her. Her favorite color is yellow and wears that color alot. Her aspiration she came with was creativity (which she has just finished now) which had me decide on her being an artist or a writer when she grows up. Now she is focusing on Motor skills and then later the Social. I won't have her touch the Mental one for story purposes. She is by no means stupid but I find it unnecessary to for this particular Sim to finish the Mental aspiration because I find it doesn't suit either her personality or future prospects.

But yeah. That is how I play. A journey using personalities and storylines. And I don't seem to be able to respond to anything without writing a freaking essay :tongue:
  • Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    it depends to be honest. if i do normal family i would do one of two kiddies or i try to get a boy and a girl. then there is the 100 baby challenge save and my sim has 3 girls ( 1 child and twin toddlers) my sim loves her children her children mean the world to her and she paints and writes books to make sure the bills are payed and food on the table and new toys now and then for the kids.
    then there is my legacy challenge that is on the second gen they have 2 children a child girl and a toddler boy. i love playing with families ;u;
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Well the toddlers in TS4 don't want me to stick them in the corner with a peg vox yet.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited October 2017
    It all depends on the type of sim parents and their traits.

I usually challenge myself a little bit and do it this way:
    • Perfectionist/neat/snob sim parents are all about manners.
    • Good sims I always have them boost more positive Empathy and Emotional Control.
    • Evil sim parents are usually work on negative empathy and emotional control
    • Lazy sims parents usually work on the negative Responsibility or Manners
    • Hot-Headed/Mean sim parents are really aggressive and usually I have them influence in a negative emotional control and conflict resolution.
    • Insane sim parents (these are fun lol) are purely random, I let them praise something bad and scold something good and in vice versa (those poor kids :lol: )

That's a few that I do, but It varies :lol: .

Also depending on the sim parent's trait and their childhood (if they had one :lol: ), they'll read them bedtime stories more often..or not. They'll let their kids stay up alll night and stay out all night. Sometimes they'll feed the kids a healthy balance meals, other parents will feed their kids cake and cookies for breakfast.

All depends on the parents and the situation :lol:

usually I have a family ranging from 2-5 kids average, so It's fun to see which kids ends up better or worse.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    edited October 2017
    kemisz wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a slave driver with my sims. I play on normal lifespan and I challenge myself with every toddler to get the top notch toddler trait. So it's basically one big grind for them. I feel bad for these kids! As children I make them complete the motor aspiration so they can have the physically gifted trait and then with my left over childhood time, I max out the manners, empathy, responsibility and emotional control trait. With teens I grind to get them as far ahead to help with their careers later. I never really worry about the conflict resolution trait though I probably should.

It's such a relief when they hit young adulthood and can party and have fun!

That's why I play on a long lifespan. means I can fill out all toddler traits, all four child aspirations, plus child skills, and start getting them on earning adult skills, while still letting them have fun.
  • Options
    rubahlubarubahluba Posts: 138 Member
    Since I'm a legacy player, I'm having fun with all the different families I've gotten to play with. Child-rearing depends entirely on the parents' personalities. And since I randomize traits, I can't really help if the kids develop good or bad traits as they age up. Most families I play with, the kids are raised pretty well but the "rules" are different for each family. With one particularly interesting family, the serial killer mother built a room in the basement where she locked the kids in all day with nothing but the essentials. It's all so fun!

Check out my blog here on my legacy! https://thebestsimmer.wordpress.com