Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

do you ever get lag in this game.

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2017
    mirta000 wrote: »
    There are too many people playing this game on low end computers . Computer specs do have something to do with some of it. Especially if someone is getting lag all the time.

32bit integrated GPU laptop is funnily enough, less likely to lag than a monster PC.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/WORK-IN-PROGRESS-Issues-with-time-Clock/td-p/5095254
    It occurs on many systems from lower specs to higher specs but High-End computer with really good specs are more often affected then lower or middle-class ones.

unfortunately, most of those low ends will be discontinued with the upcoming EP.

@mirta000 a 32 bit windows integrated GPU/cpu computer is not going to run pets . It may not be able to run the game anymore (prior GP, pack, GP) at all when pets comes out.

There is a allot of different reasons a Monster PC can also lag that could have nothing to do with the game. It all depends on how people are using their PC and how it's set up. I have seen people buy monster PC's and don't know how to use them properly
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    There is a allot of different reasons a Monster PC can also lag that could have nothing to do with the game. It all depends on how people are using their PC and how it's set up. I have seen people buy monster PC's and don't know how to use them properly
    I'm probably fine, as I'm pretty tech-savvy, but I'm curious what you mean about using them properly.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2017
    Triplis wrote: »
    I'm probably fine, as I'm pretty tech-savvy, but I'm curious what you mean about using them properly.

Probably referring to system optimization (ie. what's using system resources, how efficiently, and when).
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Not saying the game is not buggy but some people with high end will play at higher resolutions than their video card can handle. Some don't cap their fps. Some might game while keeping allot of windows open with only 8gb computer ram. You need more ram if you muti task. If you have windows 10 it takes allot more to run. These are some reasons one can get lag.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited September 2017
    Anyone that is using Windows 10, that has it updated at least to the Creator's Update, can also try utilizing the built in "Game Mode".

While game is actually open, press Windows key + G .
    That might be able to help some people.
    It shuts down unnecessary background tasks while the game is running.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026685/windows-heres-how-to-use-game-mode-on-your-pc

(Just trying to help. I know it might not help for everyone.)

As for lag, I don't get any, unless I zoom all the way out, in the City area, on highest roofs.
    Then it can bounce down a few frames, before it goes back to normal. :/
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited September 2017
    So_Money wrote: »

Probably referring to system optimization (ie. what's using system resources, how efficiently, and when).

Not saying the game is not buggy but some people with high end will play at higher resolutions than their video card can handle. Some don't cap their fps. Some might game while keeping allot of windows open with only 8gb computer ram. You need more ram if you muti task. If you have windows 10 it takes allot more to run. These are some reasons one can get lag.
    That makes sense. I have 16 gigs personally, but I think I have something (possibly a browser add-on is one contributor) that is causing an ongoing memory leak, which could be contributing to lag. Like right now, all I have open is a few browser windows, the application Flux, and Origin, and I'm sitting at task manager saying there's 28% physical memory reserved. It's more like 10% right after startup, which I assume is the resources allocated by Windows 10 itself.

I wonder again about the gallery though and if TS4 has some kind of memory leak tied to it. Cause today, I was doing a lot of clearing out old gallery entries (edit: my Library, that is.. the part that's stored on your machine) . Normally, it doesn't go up all that quickly. It'll slowly creep up to the high 10s and low 20s, but generally not high 20s. Especially considering I haven't done much of anything on my computer today, apart from browsing these forums and clearing out some gallery entries.

I also wonder if it's not accessing all of the memory it can with TS4 (which, if I'm remembering vague techie things correctly) may be a constraint of the game itself. So, like, if it's not taking advantage of all of the memory, a little leaking would have more of an impact, I think.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    edited September 2017

That makes sense. I have 16 gigs personally, but I think I have something (possibly a browser add-on is one contributor) that is causing an ongoing memory leak, which could be contributing to lag. Like right now, all I have open is a few browser windows, the application Flux, and Origin, and I'm sitting at task manager saying there's 28% physical memory reserved. It's more like 10% right after startup, which I assume is the resources allocated by Windows 10 itself.

I wonder again about the gallery though and if TS4 has some kind of memory leak tied to it. Cause today, I was doing a lot of clearing out old gallery entries (edit: my Library, that is.. the part that's stored on your machine) . Normally, it doesn't go up all that quickly. It'll slowly creep up to the high 10s and low 20s, but generally not high 20s. Especially considering I haven't done much of anything on my computer today, apart from browsing these forums and clearing out some gallery entries.

I also wonder if it's not accessing all of the memory it can with TS4 (which, if I'm remembering vague techie things correctly) may be a constraint of the game itself. So, like, if it's not taking advantage of all of the memory, a little leaking would have more of an impact, I think.

If you have a memory leak that could be a problem. Windows 10 they claim is prone to memory leaks. Some windows 10 has updates not compatible with the game. So again there are all kinds or reasons for a higher end computer to get lag without it being the game. If your on an under-powered computer you may be in far worse shape. We have seen more than our share of under-powered computers in tech. When OP states their sims just keep standing around is usually a sign of an under-powered computer

You can try playing the 32 bit version of the game. That will use less computer ram and see if it plays better for you

You would have to ask @rosemow about TS4 with the gallery
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,614 Member

If you have a memory leak that could be a problem. Windows 10 they claim is prone to memory leaks. Some windows 10 has updates not compatible with the game. So again there are all kinds or reasons for a higher end computer to get lag without it being the game. If your on an under-powered computer you may be in far worse shape. We have seen more than our share of under-powered computers in tech. When OP states their sims just keep standing around is usually a sign of an under-powered computer

You can try playing the 32 bit version of the game. That will use less computer ram and see if it plays better for you

Hello
    Simmers have found that going to the Sims 4 gallery does require extra processing power . Simmers with a lower powered processor can find that it takes a while to load, and can hang. Changing to windowed mode can help with this issue.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,633 Member
    edited September 2017
    DeKay wrote: »
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    I do rarely. But when it happens, it happens. I get the dreaded 8am lag when kids are going to school. Oddly enough I don't get it in San Myshuno!

It's not any of our gaming rigs (specs way above recommended) it's just this game. It's one of many bugs that needs addressed.

but there are some people who apparently never have this issue -_-

Maybe cuz it's not a universal bug.

There are too many people playing this game on low end computers . Computer specs do have something to do with some of it. Especially if someone is getting lag all the time.

There are certain bugs that are not computer specs related tho. Like the 8am freeze when kids go to school. It seems to be affecting certain neighborhoods. I might try to see if I have it in my game tho.

I don't have much simulation lag for my sims but I do have the lag when you're switching between sims. That's really annoying, almost more annoying than the bad fps. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,633 Member
    Anyone that is using Windows 10, that has it updated at least to the Creator's Update, can also try utilizing the built in "Game Mode".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026685/windows-heres-how-to-use-game-mode-on-your-pc

As for lag, I don't get any, unless I zoom all the way out, in the City area, on highest roofs.

I shall try this. I doubt it will do much (since I think it's just the game that is buggy), but who knows.

Will it affect Origin tho? Since it's needed for the game. -.-
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello
    Simmers have found that going to the Sims 4 gallery does require extra processing power . Simmers with a lower powered processor can find that it takes a while to load, and can hang. Changing to windowed mode can help with this issue.

This game is processor heavy. Interesting that it effects the gallery Thank you @rosemow
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    I do rarely. But when it happens, it happens. I get the dreaded 8am lag when kids are going to school. Oddly enough I don't get it in San Myshuno!

It's not any of our gaming rigs (specs way above recommended) it's just this game. It's one of many bugs that needs addressed.

but there are some people who apparently never have this issue -_-

Maybe cuz it's not a universal bug.

There are certain bugs that are not computer specs related tho. Like the 8am freeze when kids go to school. It seems to be affecting certain neighborhoods. I might try to see if I have it in my game tho.

I don't have much simulation lag for my sims but I do have the lag when you're switching between sims. That's really annoying, almost more annoying than the bad fps. XD

I'm not talking about the kids going to school. I did say above the game does have bugs

Did EA underestimate the recommended requirements? I don't know. The sims 3 likes some computer hardware and not others. We are finding out the sims 4 likes some hardware and not others.

Again the way op is describing their lag sounds like under-powered computer behavior. They even had mentioned build mode was a problem .

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,693 Member
    I'm not experience much lag, in fact I can't even remember if I ever did. There must have been a couple situations when the game reacted a bit slow to my clicking, but nothing that I considered a problem. When I record my movies though, the game is lagging, but I'm on a low grade p+c, and I can't really expect wonders. So maybe that's why I don't really react if I get those random lags during gameplay either...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    I do in San Myshuno. I can play in a large house with a large household in any other world and get little to no lag (and if I do it's rare), but in San Myshuno just a two sim household in a starter apartment causes so much lag! I hope they fix this soon.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited September 2017

@mirta000 a 32 bit windows integrated GPU/cpu computer is not going to run pets . It may not be able to run the game anymore (prior GP, pack, GP) at all when pets comes out.

That is what I said. Hence why we will see more people experiencing simulation lag, because currently, low end systems are not getting it.

Devs seem to think that it's a problem as complex as The Sims 3 time bug. They noticed that high end PCs and medium end PCs lag far more often than low end PCs. They do not know why. Do not try to go "oh it must be the player's fault" route.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

That is what I said. Hence why we will see more people experiencing simulation lag, because currently, low end systems are not getting it.

Devs seem to think that it's a problem as complex as The Sims 3 time bug. They noticed that high end PCs and medium end PCs lag far more often than low end PCs. They do not know why. Do not try to go "oh it must be the player's fault" route.

Most people who have a 32 bit windows can't run the game at this point anyway and their computers are too old to run the game. You need a 64 bit windows. If a person has an integrated GPU/CPU with a 64 bit windows they will still have problems. The integrated cpu/gpu use the same computer ram as the game, windows, origin and other programs. You have a dedicated video card it will have it's own ram and not use the computer ram.

No one is saying the game does not have bugs but if you have a low end computer you will experience far more problems with game play. The bugs will no doubt be intensified.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

Most people who have a 32 bit windows can't run the game at this point anyway and their computers are too old to run the game. You need a 64 bit windows. If a person has an integrated GPU/CPU with a 64 bit windows they will still have problems. The integrated cpu/gpu use the same computer ram as the game, windows, origin and other programs. You have a dedicated video card it will have it's own ram and not use the computer ram.

No one is saying the game does not have bugs but if you have a low end computer you will experience far more problems with game play. The bugs will no doubt be intensified.

Both from my topic where I was collecting the information about what systems experience no simulation lag and from the devs themselves - low end systems, the ones that will get discontinued with Cats and Dogs, currently are running the game far more perfectly than high end systems. Most people who have 32 bit windows are running The Sims 4 just fine on a 32 bit exe and an integrated GPU. AKA, they're experiencing LESS problems than people that upgraded.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

How to Stop go to school lag, and it works. ;)
    I just do not send kids to school on time. when it's school time just pause click off the go to the school bus. and don't answer the phone. then just let them go one at a time. while the others do as they wish, or something they need like eat or shower or even sleep lol :D they never get in trouble for being late. so why make them go all at the same time and cause lag, but it's better kids get to school by 2:30 pm :D so it can count as a full day. haha :p

we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Both from my topic where I was collecting the information about what systems experience no simulation lag and from the devs themselves - low end systems, the ones that will get discontinued with Cats and Dogs, currently are running the game far more perfectly than high end systems. Most people who have 32 bit windows are running The Sims 4 just fine on a 32 bit exe and an integrated GPU. AKA, they're experiencing LESS problems than people that upgraded.

We have a different experience helping people in tech than your experiencing. The sims 3 likes some computer hardware more than others and some visa versa with the sims 4.

We have reported that this game is very processor heavy. The more powerful processor you have the more the game will use. Something EA should have checked into years ago. We reported it two years ago and nothing has been done. Is there some kind of memory leak? Don't know. Is it origin causing the problem and not the game? Origin and most EA games don't mix well. Hard to tell which is causing the problem since you can't play without origin. I have no issues with the sims 3 however I am DRM free. I took the sims 4 off my computer along time ago because of all the origin issues. Again Origin effects some people more than others. There are some very high end that can only play the game in widowed mode. The game will not start in full screen. Some can only run the 32 bit version of the game and it won't start in 64 bit and we don't know why. They have more than enough ram and 64 bit os. I have a gaming desktop above recommended requirements
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    It hardly happens to me, but I've been in situations where my sim won't switch to another when I click it. It doesn't feel like a lag though, it's like it just doesn't respond in general.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I've noticed since Parenthood, whenever a non-household teen is doing homework nearby, the game lags. When I find the offending sim & reset them, the lag stops. I've also been taking all the teens' homework out of their inventory right before I rotate out of their household, that's cut down on the problem.

I've also found that saving the game using Save As right when the go to school lag starts will get their little pixelated butts in gear.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member

I shall try this. I doubt it will do much (since I think it's just the game that is buggy), but who knows.

Will it affect Origin tho? Since it's needed for the game. -.-

I use it for Sims (for curiosity, cuz I'm weird like that).
    And for Ark SE .
    One uses Origin, other uses Steam.
    (forgot if I tried it for any other games) :(
    It doesn't affect Origin or Steam at all for me, at least not yet.
    (One never knows down the line with MS OS. :* )
    But I will say it can't hurt to try, and might even help some that are using lower-end systems.
    (I just figured I would throw the idea out there since it won't hurt things, and I am out of ideas that hasn't already been mentioned by others.
    And it's a feature already in the W10 Creator's Update not something extra to download. ) :)
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I've actually stopped playing for a while now, and I've been super absent from the forums, due to the amount of lag I deal with on a daily basis. Sometimes my game will freeze for a few minutes just because a Sim needs to go to work or I change the speed of the game. I always get the lagging when I try and switch to different Sims, it needs to be sorted as soon as possible!
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I've actually stopped playing for a while now, and I've been super absent from the forums, due to the amount of lag I deal with on a daily basis. Sometimes my game will freeze for a few minutes just because a Sim needs to go to work or I change the speed of the game. I always get the lagging when I try and switch to different Sims, it needs to be sorted as soon as possible!

That sounds excessive. Are you above the recommended specs? Are you using any script mods?
  • Options
    anonmysteryanonmystery Posts: 135 Member
    I only get lag if I'm running a lot of other programs at the same time. The only time when I had lag without running lots of other stuff, it turns out that I just had a mod which needed updating. Sometimes the initial load screen can take a while but after that, the game runs pretty well for me.
  • Options
    FrosFros Posts: 38 Member
    I had a problem on my old laptop that when I was in San myshuno it would hit a lag spike every 10 mins but now I got a gaming laptop no more lag spije