Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    swcheppes wrote: »
    I had a question I thought might be interesting. Do non simmers read your stories, maybe family or friends who have never played a game of sims in their lives? If so what do they think of the idea of writing stories using this game as the platform?

@swcheppes My fiance does not play the Sims and has no interest in it, but he plays a hilarious part in my main legacy "How To Live With Grace". Basically I have him choose every trait and he decides the outcome of every random pop-up scenario for my legacy.
    He doesn't read my game-driven stories, but he reads and helps edit my plot-driven stories before I finalize them.

Otherwise, I believe all my readers are gamers too.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    My fiance does not play the Sims and has no interest in it, but he plays a hilarious part in my main legacy "How To Live With Grace". Basically I have him choose every trait and he decides the outcome of every random pop-up scenario for my legacy.
    He doesn't read my game-driven stories, but he reads and helps edit my plot-driven stories before I finalize them.

That sounds like so much fun! Hubby doesn't understand at all and has no interest. :D
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    when i was in cas in sims 2 once i asked mom what eyeliner was. i wasn't weaeing make up yet.

she said something i don'tneed.

i was like 14 then

now she helps me apply it.

non simmers don't read the benders.
  • Options
    My fiance does not play the Sims and has no interest in it, but he plays a hilarious part in my main legacy "How To Live With Grace". Basically I have him choose every trait and he decides the outcome of every random pop-up scenario for my legacy.

That sounds like so much fun! Hubby doesn't understand at all and has no interest. :D

I used to be a very controlling player, which actually made my games dull because I made my Sims as perfect as possible. Jase throws some hysterical chaos into the mix and picks negative traits that I would otherwise avoid. It's actually a lot of fun!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    when i was in cas in sims 2 once i asked mom what eyeliner was. i wasn't weaeing make up yet.

i was like 14 then

As someone who doesn't wear makeup, I'm constantly bewildered/frustrated when I decide to add makeup to a sim. There's so many areas! I don't entirely understand the point of eye shadow and eye liner, I always thought it was the same thing.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options

i was like 14 then

As someone who doesn't wear makeup, I'm constantly bewildered/frustrated when I decide to add makeup to a sim. There's so many areas! I don't entirely understand the point of eye shadow and eye liner, I always thought it was the same thing.

i don't wear it unless i know i'm seeing Brian sometimes not even then.
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @Karilan @friendsfan367 How I learned about different make-up stuff: 8th grade Spanish. We were learning the Spanish words for mascara, eyeshadow, etc. and she had to explain what each thing was since half the class didn't know.
    I haven't used any of those words since.
  • Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    @swcheppes : When I first started writing Simlit, I was not part of the Simming community (and actually didn't realize that "Simlit" was even a widespread thing with a community around it). I was writing it expecting my IRC channel friends who are into anime and other things to enjoy it, as the game was so "open sandbox" and honestly just a form of illustration, unlike, say, fanfiction, which requires a certain level of understanding of a fandom to understand the story (the characters/world the story takes place in). What I found is that none of my friends had any interest in checking out my work... they just couldn't seem to get past the fact that it used The Sims even though the game itself held no actual baring on the story. It was just an illustrated form of storytelling, nothing more, and one of my stories at the time was very heavily inspired by Japanese/anime culture, an interest I thought they'd really get into. But they weren't biting.

That's actually what got me thinking that I needed to look into finding a Simmer community to be a part of, separate from my other group of friends. (And don't get me wrong, I still love my other group of friends, and we still love sharing our love of anime and other interests together). I ended up finding this forum, and moving my stories off my Livejournal to Wordpress. I found that pretty much only other Simmers were interested in my work. Every now and then, my close friend will read one of my short stories if it is on a topic that interests him, but that's it. He doesn't read my long, ongoing series, The Cat Chronicles, despite the fact he's a big catdude. My sister, who does novel writing, actually looks down on the kind of writing I do as if it is "lesser" or "not real writing" or something. So in my personal experience, it's only been through my fellow Simmer community that will check out my Sim stories.

(My friends will, however, still offer advice and ideas when I need it for writing, despite the fact they don't actually read my work. They are always very helpful with that!)
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    SpixieSimSpixieSim Posts: 28 New Member
    I have been following a lot of you stories and blogs. I can't seem to create a thread for my own though?
  • Options
    SpixieSim wrote: »
    I have been following a lot of you stories and blogs. I can't seem to create a thread for my own though?

thats because your new. you need to get member status..

but your welcome to join the writers lounge i help cohost its friendly and welcoming. and we can help with links til you get member status.
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    @SpixieSim @friendsfan367 Is right. I think you need like 50 posts to get to member status? It's to prevent people from making dummy accounts and creating goofy threads.
  • Options
    @SpixieSim @friendsfan367 Is right. I think you need like 50 posts to get to member status? It's to prevent people from making dummy accounts and creating goofy threads.

and 30 posts if i rember right
  • Options
    > @friendsfan367 said:
    > SpixieSim wrote: »
    >
    > I have been following a lot of you stories and blogs. I can't seem to create a thread for my own though?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > thats because your new. you need to get member status..
    >
    > but your welcome to join the writers lounge i help cohost its friendly and welcoming. and we can help with links til you get member status.

Ok How to I get member status and also how do I join the Writers Lounge? I love reading everyone else's stories and hope they'll enjoy mine.
  • Options
    Ooops. I didnt meant to quote all that stuff. How do I join the writers lounge?
  • Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    @SpixieSim : Welcome! The Writer's Lounge is just a thread on these forums that anyone can post in. You can find the link to the Writer's Lounge, and many other good threads for Simlit enthusiasts around these forums in the References from the Stories and Legacies Index. That same link list is also posted on the Stories and Legacies Index thread, which is stickied at the top of the Sims 3 Stories and Legacies forum and the Sims 4 Stories and Legacies forum.

You also found the Stories and Legacies Index already, which is a great way to get your story listed in an index, and it is welcome to all Simmers -- it doesn't matter if you are a New Member of the forums, a Member, or not registered with the forums at all! Anyone can register their story link there to be listed in the directory!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Ooops. I didnt meant to quote all that stuff. How do I join the writers lounge?

Hi, @SpixieSim ! Welcome to The Fringe! :) My sis ( @friendsfan367 ) and I created The Writers' Lounge, and so we'll extend you an early welcome there, too! Just pop over there, introduce yourself, maybe share a bit about what you're writing, and you'll get a warm welcome from everyone!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @SpixieSim Welcome to the forums!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    @SpixieSim Welcome to the Fringe and to the Forums. And to the lounge if you've made it there already! :)
  • Options
    Yes I did... And thank you! Happy to be joining you all!
  • Options
    @my275 everyone has been so friendsly and helpful!
  • Options
    @my275 everyone has been so friendsly and helpful!

no matter what you hear we don't bite.
  • Options
    @SpixieSim Do you write?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @SpixieSim Do you write?

the blog isn't linked yet.
  • Options
    Yes I do. I am working on my first legacy! I love what I have done so far and have a few followers. I could use more though! spixiesim.wordpress.com