The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which graphic style do you prefer Sims 3 or 4?

Comments

• Options
    MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    edited August 2017
    The 'only' thing that I might find a little sad about S3, is the ability to make the sims have a more distinct, individualistic, look. Yes, You can make jaws like Jay Leno's, but often faces got a pudding-template look. -buuut, mods are helpful correcting this.
    I prefer S3. S4 gets to be overly cartoonish for me. Driving in a super-realistic '63 Corvette ala S3-CC with a Sim4-character looks strange. In S3, You can pull it off. S3 isn't that cartoonish in comparison. Imo.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    I preferer the graphics from whatever stoopid game this is from. :#

RdVcwXz.jpg

And this

x3mKgdS.jpg

And this

XsfDmoW.jpg

Whatever game these are from I like it.

:smirk:
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited August 2017
    TS3 for the worlds. TS4's worlds are too exaggerated and unrealistic looking (god I HATE the pink trees). The sims themselves don't look too cartoony to me but it sure does feel like they live in a cartoon world and I'm growing very sick of it. TS3 has beautiful, realistic scenery in every world.

TS4 is better when it comes to sims' look though. More variety in facial structure, etc. I find it easier to create racially diverse sims in TS4, it was a nightmare in 3.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    agustd wrote: »
    TS3 for the worlds. TS4's worlds are too exaggerated and unrealistic looking (god I HATE the pink trees). The sims themselves don't look too cartoony to me but it sure does feel like they live in a cartoon world and I'm growing very sick of it. TS3 has beautiful, realistic scenery in every world.

TS4 is better when it comes to sims' look though. More variety in facial structure, etc. I find it easier to create racially diverse sims in TS4, it was a nightmare in 3.
    Only in CAS. In the game they look more identical than in Sims 3. And for me the look gets spoiled by the art style anyway. In fact the TS4 sims bother me more than the landscape. I'll never be able to love them the way I love my sims in 3.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Only in CAS. In the game they look more identical than in Sims 3. And for me the look gets spoiled by the art style anyway. In fact the TS4 sims bother me more than the landscape. I'll never be able to love them the way I love my sims in 3.

Every game has this basic facial template for sims no matter what features you give them in CAS. I guess how much it irritates you once you move to live mode is a matter of personal taste. I don't find it as disappointing in TS4 as I did in TS3. Even if my TS4 sims look alike they are still distinctively Korean if I create them to be Korean. Live mode doesn't "break" the facial structure as much as in TS3 IMO. But as I've said, probably just a matter of taste as both games work similar way in this department.

I guess I confused graphics with art style (common mistake, I know). In this case, TS3 all the way. I miss the detailed, realistic textures. I miss my carpets looking like actual carpets. Everything about this game is just right, I don't really see the uncanny valley thing so many people mentioned here. Whenever I lurk in TS3's creative corner I'm stunned again. I guess its just the concept for the basic sim template in this game and tools we were given to alter it aren't my taste.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Every game has this basic facial template for sims no matter what features you give them in CAS. I guess how much it irritates you once you move to live mode is a matter of personal taste. I don't find it as disappointing in TS4 as I did in TS3. Even if my TS4 sims look alike they are still distinctively Korean if I create them to be Korean. Live mode doesn't "break" the facial structure as much as in TS3 IMO. But as I've said, probably just a matter of taste as both games work similar way in this department.

I guess I confused graphics with art style (common mistake, I know). In this case, TS3 all the way. I miss the detailed, realistic textures. I miss my carpets looking like actual carpets. Everything about this game is just right, I don't really see the uncanny valley thing so many people mentioned here. Whenever I lurk in TS3's creative corner I'm stunned again. I guess its just the concept for the basic sim template in this game and tools we were given to alter it aren't my taste.
    I strongly disagree with you there and no, it's not a matter of taste. Sims 3 does have its odd facial expressions that distord their face. When they're flirting for instance, or when they are looking whatever the team once considered 'friendly' (if someone in real life ever looks at you that way: run!). But most of the time their faces correspond with what you created in CAS. It's true Sims 3 did ethnics poorly, but what I create in CAS I see back in my game. I see it back better even. I guess that might be a matter of taste, but they have this flat complexion and a bit shiny appearance in CAS. But apart from that: my sim is my sim, also in the game.

Example, sim in TS3 CAS:

1721791_orig.jpg

Same sim in the game:

Y1mpq7C.png

Same sim pulling faces:

vEu5Abt.png

And a sim in TS4 CAS:

KJOAcXT.png

Same sim in the game looking straight:

3t3tDsj.png

Even with a straight face his eyebrows are starting to lead their own life here in a way I never intended in CAS.
    And when the facial expressions really hit, nothing of my work in CAS is there anymore, except for the colour of his eyes and hair.

S2Gkbrz.png

His mouth looks like any other mouth of any other sim around him. And so do his eyes. Let me remind you:

KJOAcXT.png

Where is he?! And your Korean girl may look Korean in the game, she will look completely similar to any other Korean girl in the game.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I strongly disagree with you there and no, it's not a matter of taste. Sims 3 does have its odd facial expressions that distord their face. When they're flirting for instance, or when they are looking whatever the team once considered 'friendly' (if someone in real life ever looks at you that way: run!). But most of the time their faces correspond with what you created in CAS. It's true Sims 3 did ethnics poorly, but what I create in CAS I see back in my game. I see it back better even. I guess that might be a matter of taste, but they have this flat complexion and a bit shiny appearance in CAS. But apart from that: my sim is my sim, also in the game.

Example, sim in TS3 CAS:

1721791_orig.jpg

Same sim in the game:

Y1mpq7C.png

Same sim pulling faces:

vEu5Abt.png

And a sim in TS4 CAS:

KJOAcXT.png

3t3tDsj.png

Even with a straight face his eyebrows are starting to lead their own life here in a way I never intended in CAS.
    And when the facial expressions really hit, nothing of my work in CAS is there anymore, except for the colour of his eyes and hair.

S2Gkbrz.png

His mouth looks like any other mouth of any other sim around him. And so do his eyes. Let me remind you:

KJOAcXT.png

Where is he?! And your Korean girl may look Korean in the game, she will look completely similar to any other Korean girl in the game.

Well, the most important thing about my Korean girl at the end of the day is that she looks like me. TS4 is the first game of the franchise that gave me the tools to create people who look like me, my friends, family, the people I grew up around - without tons of CC. It's difficult for me to explain why I find it so important but I guess it's sort of understandable. Now the only reason I need CC is to make my sims less alike even in live mode and I'm satisfied with the outcome. Granted, I'm using a mod that stops the extreme facial expressions.. I don't recall a mod that would keep my sims' face "together" while performing certain interactions in TS3. But well, that's not really a graphics thing isn't it. I still stand by what I said about it being a matter of personal taste and possibly other factors too, because it's not only the face I find strange in TS3 sims. Their bodies aren't well designed too. They look like very tiny barbie dolls, no matter the amount of muscle/fat and their arms sort of look like there are no bones in them. I've seen tons of insanely beautiful TS3 sims and I created some really nice ones myself but I still can't shake off this impression. If I can agree that a TS3 sim is beautiful but there's still something unsettling about them to me then personal preference/taste is the only thing I can explain it with. Especially that I find TS3 superior in basically every other aspect aesthetics wise and I hate the "pudding face" argument people often bring up.
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited September 2017
    I have to say, honestly in my opinion as I'm looking at the comparison pics from above, Sims 3 looks like an actual 3-D image as in there is an impression of depth and texture. I also really like the shading in that second pic. Sometimes my sims look better/different in game that CAS.

When I look at the Sims 4 pics above, I'm not really getting the same impression that they are 3-D images. To me, they look like a 2-D flat image generated with a computer shaded to try and look 3-D. It reminds me more of a "painting" on a flat surface. I'm not saying one is better than another, it's all a matter of preference. Just an observation from me. :)

I haven't really tried to create my family or people I know, yet, and I don't know if I'm great at creating different ethnicity in my game, but I do like variety and it wasn't too difficult to create these sims:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    edited September 2017
    @agustd It's way more easy to identify yourself with a karikature/cartoon than with something that is supposed to look realistic though. I think that's probably the reason why you recognize yourself more in TS4 sims, because they are cartoony and features are exaggerated. It's why people always recognize themselves in karikatures even though they basically are very different from their actual face. It has nothing to do with graphical quality (like you said), but with the way the eye catches features of a face. To be able to create karikatures in the sims 3, you need custom sliders indeed. To be able to create yourself in a realistic way without making it a karikature is very hard to begin with and not many people can pull it off. I'm a western person and I for the love of god can't make myself in Sims 3 because it's just too hard and I don't have the talent, not because it's not possible. I can easily make a cartoony version of myself in TS4 though, because it would only require me to exaggerate my prominent features and voila there's a sim/cartoon/karikature that will resemble me.
  • Options
    Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2017
    Am I the only one who remembers browsing the Sims 3 forums back in 2009-ish and seeing people complain that Sims 3 sims look cartoony compared to Sims 2 sims? Now they're "too realistic" and "uncanny" compared to Sims 4. :lol:
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Nikoa wrote: »
    Am I the only one who remembers browsing the Sims 3 forums back in 2009 and seeing people complain that Sims 3 sims look cartoony compared to Sims 2 sims? Now they're "too realistic" and "uncanny" compared to Sims 4. :lol:

Sims 3 has come a long way from 2009 though, while Sims 4 hasn't come a long way from 2014 (yet). And tbh I don't think it ever will. I myself didn't permanently switch to TS3 until Isla Paradiso came out. By that time TS3 already looked a lot different with all the beautiful worlds and tweaks they did with each expansion, adding better clothing and hair etc.. Sims 4 only has 1.5 years left to go before it has the same lifespan as sims 3 and with the pace of releases they currently have I don't think they'll come close.
  • Options
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    @agustd It's way more easy to identify yourself with a karikature/cartoon than with something that is supposed to look realistic though. I think that's probably the reason why you recognize yourself more in TS4 sims, because they are cartoony and features are exaggerated. It's why people always recognize themselves in karikatures even though they basically are very different from their actual face. It has nothing to do with graphical quality (like you said), but with the way the eye catches features of a face. To be able to create karikatures in the sims 3, you need custom sliders indeed. To be able to create yourself in a realistic way without making it a karikature is very hard to begin with and not many people can pull it off. I'm a western person and I for the love of god can't make myself in Sims 3 because it's just too hard and I don't have the talent, not because it's not possible. I can easily make a cartoony version of myself in TS4 though, because it would only require me to exaggerate my prominent features and voila there's a sim/cartoon/karikature that will resemble me.

I agree. I don't always play with sims who resemble me 100%, but when I do I want to be able to work with what the game offers me. I still remember how upsetting it could get with TS2 and TS3. I could create anyone but realistic looking Asian people (mind you, realistic as in not strange looking) and it was frustrating to have to get all the custom sliders, face masks, etc. just so I could create a world in my game that I know and am familiar with. But yeah, that's a whole different issue. I do feel like TS3 CAS requires a talent of some sort, and definitely practice. If you're willing to spend some time playing with sliders the effects can be truly amazing. I don't mind sims changing their look in live mode because I remember how I created them in CAS and that's how I see them. To me it's not really that much of an issue because I think the base template of a sim face in 4 is good enough. I didn't like it in TS3 and found it harder to alter to my liking. Luckily it never held me back from enjoying the game :)
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Example, sim in TS3 CAS:

1721791_orig.jpg

Same sim in the game:

Y1mpq7C.png

Same sim pulling faces:

vEu5Abt.png

And a sim in TS4 CAS:

KJOAcXT.png

3t3tDsj.png

S2Gkbrz.png

KJOAcXT.png

Well, the most important thing about my Korean girl at the end of the day is that she looks like me. TS4 is the first game of the franchise that gave me the tools to create people who look like me, my friends, family, the people I grew up around - without tons of CC. It's difficult for me to explain why I find it so important but I guess it's sort of understandable. Now the only reason I need CC is to make my sims less alike even in live mode and I'm satisfied with the outcome. Granted, I'm using a mod that stops the extreme facial expressions.. I don't recall a mod that would keep my sims' face "together" while performing certain interactions in TS3. But well, that's not really a graphics thing isn't it. I still stand by what I said about it being a matter of personal taste and possibly other factors too, because it's not only the face I find strange in TS3 sims. Their bodies aren't well designed too. They look like very tiny barbie dolls, no matter the amount of muscle/fat and their arms sort of look like there are no bones in them. I've seen tons of insanely beautiful TS3 sims and I created some really nice ones myself but I still can't shake off this impression. If I can agree that a TS3 sim is beautiful but there's still something unsettling about them to me then personal preference/taste is the only thing I can explain it with. Especially that I find TS3 superior in basically every other aspect aesthetics wise and I hate the "pudding face" argument people often bring up.
    Oh, I absolutely agree that shortcoming in TS3 is very annoying, incomprehensible even. Somehow the team figured only the caucasian look would matter, then they created China :| It's even more comprehensible when you realize even Sims 2 did ethnics better. If you're interested by the way, there is CC available that will allow you to give your sim epicanthic eyes.

shun_orig.png

A very limited facial bone structure system is a problem in TS3 as well. I understand how Sims 4 improved that part for you, but it's genuinely beyond me why they had to exchange one improvement for a huge flaw (for me it really is, it causes I don't like my own sims in the game). You can give your sims all the refined facial details in CAS you want, as soon as the emotion system hits (and it hits all the time) those details are gone and turned into one look. I do have that mod as well by the way, the no smiling one, but other facial expressions will still change their faces too much, turning them into somebody completely else than you intended and somebody similar to your sim's neighbours. Sims 3 doesn't have such a mod because Sims 3 doesn't have that problem. Only in a few cases that occur so sporadicly that it's easy to just turn a blind eye at moments it does happen. I never take pictures of my sims at moments like that, that's for sure. And I take thousands and thousands of pictures.

@Odonata68 Yes, I have the same issue, the texture being so flat. But that apparently is a matter of preference. I also agree it is possible (though not always easy) to create unique sims.
    Nikoa wrote: »
    Am I the only one who remembers browsing the Sims 3 forums back in 2009-ish and seeing people complain that Sims 3 sims look cartoony compared to Sims 2 sims? Now they're "too realistic" and "uncanny" compared to Sims 4. :lol:
    I wasn't around back then, but I can imagine in the beginning, when Sunset Valley and Riverview were the worlds we all played our sims in, filled with EA's interpretation of CAS sims, and people comparing them to their heavily CC covered sims in 2 that yes, that may have been the discussion. Funny thing is, at the moment I often see the argument sims in 4 are cartoony again, 'just like in Sims 2'. Truth is, sims are only cartoony in Sims 4, not in 1, 2 and 3. Giving them a real cartoony approach in CAS suits them much better (exaggerating all their features).

@Namaya92 That doesn't apply to me, it being more easy to identify yourself with a caricature/cartoon. Quite the opposite actually. I prefer playing with sims that are absolutely not me by the way (young, slim, muscular :p ). But one of the reasons I fail at connecting with my sims in 4, is because they don't behave like real humans to me and they don't look 'real'. I don't need photorealism, but I do have to be able to see a real human being there.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited September 2017
    ...To me it's not really that much of an issue because I think the base template of a sim face in 4 is good enough. I didn't like it in TS3 and found it harder to alter to my liking. Luckily it never held me back from enjoying the game :)
    Although I have never played Sims 4, from the pictures I have seen on this forum I much prefer Sims 3's graphic style.

But I do agree about the base template of a sim face in Sims 3 not being very good. If you leave all the sliders at zero, the default "pudding" face, the proportions are off on some features. My pet peeves are the eyes being too large, the distance between the bottom of the nose and the top of the lips being too small and the jaw being too narrow. Looks like those same flaws have been carried over in the base template of a sim face in Sims 4.

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,552 Member
    edited September 2017
    Odonata68 wrote: »
    I have to say, honestly in my opinion as I'm looking at the comparison pics from above, Sims 3 looks like an actual 3-D image as in there is an impression of depth and texture. I also really like the shading in that second pic. Sometimes my sims look better/different in game that CAS.

When I look at the Sims 4 pics above, I'm not really getting the same impression that they are 3-D images. To me, they look like a 2-D flat image generated with a computer shaded to try and look 3-D. It reminds me more of a "painting" on a flat surface. I'm not saying one is better than another, it's all a matter of preference. Just an observation from me. :)

Flat is a perfect descriptor.
    The eyes, the eyebrows, the hairlines, and make-up result in these sims looking like their faces are painted on.
    The mono eyelash and clay hair makes them look like animated sculptures.
    That takes the immersion out of it for me and its why I am smothering them with CC to breathe more life into them. :)
    I like TS4 sims, but not without some tweaking.

The first picture on the left has the default eyes.
    The reset have CC replacement eyes.
    Melonie%20copy.jpg

Olivia%20CC.jpg

Melonie%20CC.jpg

Kara.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @CK213 Great pics and your sims are beautiful. :) That CC really does breath some life into them without making them look too different.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited September 2017
    For me, looking at TS3 to TS4 Sims reminds me of when Bill Pullman becomes a ghost in Casper. Now, I have seen some TS4 Sims that I think are stunning, but they're usually so loaded up with CC, that I can't tell they're from TS4. I actually wouldn't mind if TS5 looked like those types of Sims.

I think TS3 is better environmental. The worlds are breathtaking and just can't be beat.

What I really hope for the future of the franchise is that EA strikes a balance (not going from one extreme to the other) and also they could do with taking note of the amazing CC creator's creations in the community. I think details and textures are key.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The Sims 3 base game world still stands out! :smiley:

21316310_10154847551816497_3813015321168432663_o.jpg?oh=a5fd725d62f3964ed50bc1dd4797bc3c&oe=5A50D60E

21272759_10154847552061497_4171362960633020803_o.jpg?oh=14baf2b69ad51afb0cd7d6db72a024da&oe=5A524A78

21246499_10154847551861497_7046653376543819470_o.jpg?oh=a46d2a536050f2421504c2302020676f&oe=5A51520F

21246345_10154847551946497_4464707241931043735_o.jpg?oh=33b822bce2887563985126cffa1028ac&oe=5A14E201

All of that is open as well :wink:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,605 Member
    For me When it comes to the Sims themselves, I prefer sims 4. I like the cartoon art style. Maybe it was because I was addicted to watch cartoons when I was young :D
    And when it comes to the World, I prefer the Sims 3. It feels that If I went to a beach, I relax my mind, with all the waves and water sound fx, How beautiful and realistic they are, makes me feel that I am seeing a real place. IT was Realistic and Beautiful :)
  • Options
    @CK213 The best part of your post is that your CC'd sims resemble the sims in TS3 lol. Basically all TS4 CC is designed so that the sims look more realistic and more similar to CC'd sims 3 sims.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,381 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    And when it comes to the World, I prefer the Sims 3. It feels that If I went to a beach, I relax my mind, with all the waves and water sound fx, How beautiful and realistic they are, makes me feel that I am seeing a real place. IT was Realistic and Beautiful :)

^This. Same with me. I can sit and watch the beach in Sunset Valley and get the calming and relaxing feeling I do at a real beach.

• Options
    @ZeeGee This beach here? :wink:

21200752_10154847551896497_7709335240410451257_o.jpg?oh=68f86f094fbedf70b00a0d5a340c0e57&oe=5A1E1F46

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @king_of_simcity7 Yep, that one there. Beautiful pic. ETA: Love your other pics too.
  • Options
    I love the way the sailboats stroll around (stroll not the right word)
  • Options
    @ZeeGee Like in this picture: :smiley:

19702909_10154664897996497_1835699686135059623_o.jpg?oh=2c2b28b6c3d522042c837166a15dea70&oe=5A1CD52F
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg