Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR ball-pit, I mean stuff pack review

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited August 2017
    And you people still bought it, didn't you?

We know you do. No one can criticise a game to the level you do without having played it.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    At the end of the day, it's a ball pit.

The slide and the jungle gym both have incredible animations and detail to them. They usually only give us 1 - 2 Gameplay objects, so a not so amazing 3rd is just something extra to me.

It's clear the main object is the jungle gym, and honestly we didn't need the Ball Pit. It still would have been worth the same as the other Stuff Packs.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

The slide and the jungle gym both have incredible animations and detail to them. They usually only give us 1 - 2 Gameplay objects, so a not so amazing 3rd is just something extra to me.

It's clear the main object is the jungle gym, and honestly we didn't need the Ball Pit. It still would have been worth the same as the other Stuff Packs.

At the end of the day, it's a poor effort that isn't worth the asking price.

It's like saying, "oh, I love Game of Thrones, they put so much effort into it, even though you can see The Hound's wristwatch in every scene and the boom mic drops into the frame constantly"*

*this doesn't actually happen, btw

My point is, just because everything else is of a very high standard doesn't mean we should just shrug every time something of a very poor quality makes it into the game. We should be mad, because Maxis is capable of incredible things. They're a great studio who loves what they do, and this usually shows. The ball pit's low level of quality is beneath them.

They can do better, and we should respect them enough to tell them that.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited August 2017
    The ball pit is embarrassing. I already knew since the official trailer, because you could spot it straight away but now I have it and...oh boy.
    I can't use it because it is really distracting, it looks like bad CC.
    I can't possibly comprehend how they were not embarrassed to add it to the pack, seriously.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,054 Member
    I think they knew exactly what they were doing. Ensuring that those with computers with less powerful capabilities would be able to use it while knowing that someone would mod it for those able to have such a high polygon object in their game.
  • Options
    I think they knew exactly what they were doing. Ensuring that those with computers with less powerful capabilities would be able to use it while knowing that someone would mod it for those able to have such a high polygon object in their game.

Reposting what I said a few pages ago: there's room for a middle ground between "high poly" and "no poly".
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

Here's my problem with that - and I said as much to WildlyMiniatureSandwich - nobody with any common sense was asking for a fully-rendered ball pit.

It's not a black-and-white extreme of "completely flat" and "completely rendered". There's other options available.
    For instance normal maps to create the illusion of depth without actually altering the mesh. Or even making an egg carton-like surface, like this:

wave_surface.png

There's room for a middle ground.

wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    That ball-pit looks atrocious. I would've preferred if they went with something different, like some others have mentioned, such as kiddie pools or sandboxes.

I think, given how many people are pointing out how horrid the quality of this object is, they should at least try to redesign it with a way more detailed texture, even if it's still going to be the strange, flat image they chose to design this object with.

Definitely represents how virtually all of the stuff packs for TS4 are extremely weak and horribly low in quality for this iteration, and to be honest, the whole series, too. They should just disband the stuff pack team and absorb the developers into the game pack team, as it should have been since day 1. Then, since there will be more content in game packs, perhaps charge 5 dollars more. All I know is this kind of low quality content really makes the game come off as cheap.

"All I know is this kind of low quality content really makes the game come off as cheap"

I guess that would mean for us that if stuff packs had a hard copy version like sims 3 did I could find it at your local "Goodwill". Time for me to cry me a river now. Be right back.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Honestly that Ballpit doesn't even look safe. That's basically telling your "cute bundles of pure joy" to jump into cardboard. What the deuce?
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Honestly that Ballpit doesn't even look safe. That's basically telling your "cute bundles of pure joy" to jump into cardboard. What the deuce?
    Your cute bundles of joy my foot. :joy:

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2017

Ball pits are amazing irl. When I was 5 my parents hosted a party at this like service store kind of thing located in one of the main avenues in my city, basically it was like huge sized playground world almost infinite and they had enormous ball bits and a big grey slider that was like...almost 90 degrees with the floor and was scary as all hell, and it would go into a ball pit. It was so fabulous. I'll never forget sliding down it. It closed sadly, Lacoste bought the place, they shrinked the store section of the building and now sell their overpriced clothes there, how I hate them.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    AwesomeAbsterAwesomeAbster Posts: 61 Member
    My favorite thing about the review is that Ralph had "gone fishing"
    Screen_Shot_2017_11_06_at_7_17_39_AM.png
    ❤️Imagine those toddlers with puppies and kittens in their arms❤️
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

At the end of the day, it's a poor effort that isn't worth the asking price.

It's like saying, "oh, I love Game of Thrones, they put so much effort into it, even though you can see The Hound's wristwatch in every scene and the boom mic drops into the frame constantly"*

*this doesn't actually happen, btw

My point is, just because everything else is of a very high standard doesn't mean we should just shrug every time something of a very poor quality makes it into the game. We should be mad, because Maxis is capable of incredible things. They're a great studio who loves what they do, and this usually shows. The ball pit's low level of quality is beneath them.

They can do better, and we should respect them enough to tell them that.
    Which we have. Until the horse is long past dead. You say this as if no one has criticized them. Nothing anyone says will change the fact that they are going to get criticized endlessly. We really don't need a criticism rally. It's not exactly a dying cause.

You analogy also shows how mountain out of molehill the persistent spirit of this is. Comparing this to a boom mic in the frame constantly in one of the most popular TV shows in the world? It would not be the show it is if there was a boom mic in the frame constantly. This is an arguable blemish in a game where the worst of graphical complaints are usually that the sims smile too much, or someone doesn't like the art style. And it's in a stuff pack.

More comparable would be if the lighting is a bit off in one of the episodes of GoT during an important scene of many in the season. Most people probably don't care, but to those with a critical eye for detail, it's hard not to notice. Meanwhile, the episode itself is the same quality as the rest of the series.

You can be mad if you want. There's no "should" here. If you need everybody to be mad with you, you have a problem.

What I find interesting is that for one of the most high-demand subjects of the sims series (toddlers) its stuff pack is getting dismissed as garbage by some because of the texture of one of its objects. If I was more cynical, I would say that some are desperate for a reason to hate it because that's the only way they know how to react to stuff packs. You'll notice that the brunt of these sort of bandwagon hate machines are usually driven by the same folks.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @Triplis: you may be right, but to be fair, it's not like I'm DeservedCriticism.

When I complain about TS4, it's because I care about a game that I regularly play. I've been a TS4 cheerleader basically since day one. I mean, you're talking to a guy who defended the talking toilet and the non-editable apartments, ffs. This is a rare instance where I feel that Maxis actually did a bad job, and yeah, I'm mad about it.

I'm not jumping on a bandwagon here. I'm the guy who tells the bandwagons why they're wrong.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    @Triplis: you may be right, but to be fair, it's not like I'm DeservedCriticism.

When I complain about TS4, it's because I care about a game that I regularly play. I've been a TS4 cheerleader basically since day one. I mean, you're talking to a guy who defended the talking toilet and the non-editable apartments, ffs. This is a rare instance where I feel that Maxis actually did a bad job, and yeah, I'm mad about it.

I'm not jumping on a bandwagon here. I'm the guy who tells the bandwagons why they're wrong.
    No worries. I went off a bit there, probably unfairly. For what it's worth, you're definitely not one of the people I was thinking of when I said that last part.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It really is a shame about that texture, because a lot of people like the pack in general.

The sad thing is that people aren't letting up on their complaints. CC makers have made replacement skins of varying complexity, and they've also been clear that the polygon count for the ball-pit grows at a monstrous rate. It can't have been any different for the developers, who had to take minimum specifications and a budget into account.

There were ways to neutralise this polygon problem from the start, and a sand-pit or paddling pool would have provided similar potential (castle building and smashing, paddling and splashing, for the most basic suggestions), but that's the past, and the problem has been solved for free - if you've got the hardware for it.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    I don't know if this was mentioned or not . I know it's not a fix all for everyone but I found this while looking for stuff to download http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=599372
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    I don't know if this was mentioned or not . I know it's not a fix all for everyone but I found this while looking for stuff to download http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=599372

All that does is make the image crisper. It doesn't do anything about the flatness.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    I dislike this guy. I don't think he likes sims 4 at all, so why keep reviewing it to keep saying negative things? I dont think his opinion is valid anyway, because of his obvious bias. I wouldnt be surprised if this dude never even plays this game, he just reviews it because of the money he makes on you tube. I saw everything that came with this pack and it is a nice addition for family players. He's a plum.

It's not that serious lol
    He is a sims player though, He has never been a fan of stuff packs. I mean see his review for katy perry's sweet treats
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz8komsNkBg
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    edited August 2017
    I know that the ball-pit looks really cheap. And Toddler Pack is kinda like the Spooky Pack(lame).
    But I also think that LGR is always really negative when it comes to his reviews. It's not even funny anymore. It's good to be critical but his negativety soaks up all the positive vibes that you may have had before watching his reviews.
    That's why I don't watch them anymore.
  • Options
    ItsJanier wrote: »
    I know that the ball-pit looks really cheap. And Toddler Pack is kinda like the Spooky Pack(lame).
    But I also think that LGR is always really negative when it comes to his reviews. It's not even funny anymore. It's good to be critical but his negativety soaks up all the positive vibes that you may have had before watching his reviews.
    That's why I don't watch them anymore.

He only seems negative because 99% of the time he's reviewing Stuff Packs, which he dislikes.

Watch his reviews for Parenthood or Vampires. He's far more even-handed about packs that have some actual meat on their bones.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I agree with him about the ball-pit. My opinion. It is flat and is not appealing. It is too bad that it had to be reduced down to this.
  • Options
    @kwanzaabot I have seen ALL of his reviews and they all have a negative sound in them. He is kinda whiny when it comes to cas and items tbh. It's like he doesn't like TS4(which he kinda doesn't like or that's what he said at his overall TS4 review).
    I know that some people really like him and his reviews which is cool and I respect their opinion. But for me he is a negative Nancy.
  • Options
    ItsJanier wrote: »
    @kwanzaabot I have seen ALL of his reviews and they all have a negative sound in them. He is kinda whiny when it comes to cas and items tbh. It's like he doesn't like TS4(which he kinda doesn't like or that's what he said at his overall TS4 review).
    I know that some people really like him and his reviews which is cool and I respect their opinion. But for me he is a negative Nancy.

"Two Years of Meh" was made before City Living, before Vampires, before the toddler patch, before Parenthood.

As I said. The packs reviewed since then have been far more even-handed, because they're actually *good*.

The first two years of TS4 were a hot mess. Of course he's going to point out those flaws. What kind of reviewer doesn't point out when something's done badly?

If you want sycophantic yes-men, watch Deligracy.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    @kwanzaabot You are obviously biased with your comments and trying to defend him. I get it you are a fan. And It's ok.
    As I said I've seen all of his reviews and he is still a Negative Nancy. He is just a whiny man who is 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about everything that TS4 does.
    I still think that you and I can coexist even tho we have different opinions here.
    I don't like Deligracy that much either. I mean she is nice but there are better SimTubers than those two.
    I only watch Deligracy's videos to see a sneak peek to the cas before the pack comes out. At least she shows the outfits and doesn't whine about everything like a kid.
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    You know what it looks like when they play in it, a waterbed. You know what a ballpit is, not a waterbed. Look, whatever their reason is, they should've gone with something that looks good. I'm litterly not buying this pack because of that awful ballpit texture. For christ sake they got a png image of google for it, they're getting paid for it, there's just no way for me to support that lmao.

Now if it were to be a sandbox i'd be buying it right away, but the quality and work put into this is an awful excuse for new gameplay objects. You can love EA or Maxis and say they tried, you might love it yourself which is great, but for people like me who want a bit more work for the money they pay for is not a weird thing to ask. This is the lowest quality item we have in the Sims 4, they can step up their game.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina