Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets Are NOT Playable!

Comments

• Options
    ToreshinboToreshinbo Posts: 561 Member
    I'm fine with it. It sucks but I never actively played any pet on sims 3. I just let them do their own thing.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    I would argue that if the pet AI did nothing and pets had to be forced to eat or were "forgetful," it was because we could control them. Now they will be more spontaneous and we shouldn't have to worry about any of that. The simulation lag still needs to be fixed, though, but that affects all sims not just pets.

yeah, but you see, if sim autonomy switches off we can just CONTROL them. TS3 AI was not any worse than TS2 TBH. It's just that if you were in a dire need to fix something, you did not need to mess around with cheats.
  • Options
    AikeikoAikeiko Posts: 158 Member
    I'm kind of mixed on it. I liked controlling pets on TS3 because I could breed them and then share them with my family (In game). Are they still able to breed in TS4?
  • Options
    Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    I don't really mind not being able to control them as long as they somewhat take care of themselves. I don't know if other people have this problem in Sims 3, but I often find my cats and dogs on the verge of starvation and have to give them the task to eat because they just don't do it themselves..
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I think there is a lot of confusion and questions as to how these unplayable/partially playable pets will work. I hope we can get some good answers soon.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    I'm really about with this! I didn't enjoy playing as as pet in Sims 3. I preferred the Sims 2 approach.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2017
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I would argue that if the pet AI did nothing and pets had to be forced to eat or were "forgetful," it was because we could control them. Now they will be more spontaneous and we shouldn't have to worry about any of that. The simulation lag still needs to be fixed, though, but that affects all sims not just pets.

yeah, but you see, if sim autonomy switches off we can just CONTROL them. TS3 AI was not any worse than TS2 TBH. It's just that if you were in a dire need to fix something, you did not need to mess around with cheats.

Well, to me it was. 3 was a lot less responsive than 2 and 4 which is why I believe the animals in the latter look more lively. I'll take that any day over controlling them.

And I wouldn't want to be forced to control them just to get them to do something. It can become a headache when we already have a household of sims to control.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 29,003 Member
    I'm really fine without being able to 'control' them. It's just one more Sim. I play large households. Having to control the pet would put me over the edge. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    midnightpopsiclemidnightpopsicle Posts: 8 New Member
    I'm glad we can't control them to be honest, I think they will be more fun that way.
  • Options
    mirta000 wrote: »

Basically, what you're saying is it's better to have control in case autonomy fails, rather than not having the autonomy problem to begin with? No way.

IRL, my pets will eat as long as I leave food out (unless they are ill.) That's how I'd prefer it in the game, too.
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited August 2017
    Can someone just level with me for a second. I'm seeing a lot of people rejoicing over this but in what way is (once again) not giving players a choice, in the Sims, a good thing? Like...I can understand not being bothered by this because you didnt necessarily like controlling your pets...but to be happy that you don't even have the option to? You always had the choice of whether or not you could control pets. Even in TS2.

I don't use twitter and talking to anyone other than Graham rarely gives the desired answer. So can somebody please tweet them and ask if we at least have a cheat that makes pets playable? This'll be my deciding factor on this pack. If cheats can make them playable, I won't complain about it anymore.
    Post edited by Aquarius94 on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    Can someone just level with me for a second. I'm seeing a lot of people rejoicing over this but in what way is (once again) not giving players a choice, in the Sims, a good thing? Like...I can understand not being bothered by this because you didnt necessarily like controlling your pets...but to be happy that you don't even have the option to? You always had the choice of whether or not you could control pets. Even in TS2.

I don't use twitter and talking to anyone other than Graham rarely gives the desired answer. So can somebody please ask tweet them and ask if we at least have a cheat that makes pets playable? This'll be my deciding factor on this pack. If cheats can make them playable, I won't complain about it anymore.

It not just about giving us a choice between playable and not playable. It's about making a choice at the design level about whether to put budget into playability or something else. They chose something else.

I don't think they've ever answered questions about cheats until really close to game launch (maybe they don't know till then which ones are going in, if any?), and a lot of the time not even then. Usually it's up to modders to find them.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    "Define playable"

--- really?
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    edited August 2017
    Just found out that there will be no cheat to make pets playable
    kcyoBEG.png
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    DHxW7l1XcAQDF6a.jpg

I am not sure how I feel about this. Not a big issue for me, I find not having smaller pets more important

Well I'm not buying the pack. Hope everyone else enjoys it.
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    You can't talk about realism here... :D You control sims which is unrealstic lul.

True so true.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,653 Member
  • Options
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SimsVIP/status/899727940581195777

Huh. I suspect they didn't even code much playability at all, then, which would mean that most of what we see in the trailer is not set up from the cats' and dogs' controls! Which is promising for what they could be like in game.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

I don't use twitter and talking to anyone other than Graham rarely gives the desired answer. So can somebody please ask tweet them and ask if we at least have a cheat that makes pets playable? This'll be my deciding factor on this pack. If cheats can make them playable, I won't complain about it anymore.

Keep in mind some of us prefer NOT having the option. It's not just a matter of being 'okay' with it. Besides, controlling pets wasn't really optional anyway due to the buggy nature of the game. I like having an influence on my pets while they maintain their independence. It's more realistic and less tedious.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited August 2017

It not just about giving us a choice between playable and not playable. It's about making a choice at the design level about whether to put budget into playability or something else. They chose something else.

It was a design choice yes, but at the end of the day, It's still taking the choice out of the player's hands. That's an issue I've had since the start of TS4. The Sims has always been a game that's encourages multiple styles of play but with this particular iteration, it feels like that's being foregone more and more in favor of having to play things the way THEY want you to play it. I don't know if it's due to budget constraints (in which case they really need to fix the way they allocate their money) or they're still trying to turn the Sims from a sandbox/dollhouse type of game to a goal oriented RPG, but I'm really getting peeved by it. It's been one restriction after another since this game was released.

I said it before but it warrants being said again. At this point, with unplayable pets now, it really feels like they're turning into a parody of themselves. Like. That and a Pets only CASt are things I'd expect to see in someone making a funny exageration about EA's practices. Not something that'd actually be in the game itself. I used to laugh when people joked about a Seasons pack not having any weather or being split into four separate packs or some other dumb idea Like that. But now I'm actually kinda feardul that that's a possibility.

Agree with the top part. It feels like restrictions just keep getting added on rather than allowing for player control. I always played the Sims for how open ended it was and how many different choices there were. For me though this is just a clear indication that ts4 is not made for players like me. (And you maybe) It's made for all the happy people on this thread instead. Which is bad for me because I love the concept of the Sims and loved the other games, so it is sad to see the series leave what I loved. But square pegs don't fit in circular holes time for me to stop trying to make it.
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    I'm fine with it. Grant said that doing this they can be really unique, expressive and unpredictable. I totally buy that. I always liked TS2 pets and in TS3 I never controlled my pets.
  • Options
    vickyloovickyloo Posts: 134 Member
    It doesn't really worry me if we can control them or not, for me personally it isn't a deal breaker BUT i can understand why some people want this and would feel upset about it. Hopefully they have some hidden things they haven't shown and some good interactions.
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited August 2017

Keep in mind some of us prefer NOT having the option. It's not just a matter of being 'okay' with it. Besides, controlling pets wasn't really optional anyway due to the buggy nature of the game. I like having an influence on my pets while they maintain their independence. It's more realistic and less frustrating.

But how does having the option to do that stop you from not doing it the way you want to? That kinda defeats the purpose of having the option. If you don't wanna control your pets, that's perfectly fine. Keep your autonomy on and let them go nuts. But that shouldn't mean people who do want to control them shouldn't get the chance to.

I'm a control freak when it comes to these games. Everything's gotta he done exactly how I want it. My sims don't even age without me telling them to (It's actually kinda funny how I'm such a perfectionist in these games but far from it in real life lol). I need that constant feeling of being in control for me to get the of amount of enjoyment out of a Sims game. That's just how I am with creative stuff. But with TS4, I'm getting less and less of that feeling as time goes on :/
    Simfan923 wrote: »

Welp. That's it for me. Better luck next expansion. We only get one a year now, right?
  • Options
    SiMsStoriesSiMsStories Posts: 219 Member
    Was really looking forward to this EP, but it is seriously becoming a huge let down. I think because of how terrible sims 3 pet AI is, players who played sims 3 pets and 2 would rather have pets be played like how they were in the sims 2.

I have not played sims 3 pets so I do not know how bad they were in that game but if they were as much as headache as the toddlers + the infants in this game (though kids are suppose to annoy you at times in real life). Then I can actually relate to these player's pain.

The only sim game I had played where it had pets in them were in the sims 2 pets console game. I could control my pets actions but it would automatically run off to do it's own thing and it was up to me rather I wanted to stop the action myself or tell the sim to make them stop.

I hope they are not some CAS or in this case a CAP object and be nothing more but an interactive object for your sim that will eventually annoy you throughout your game like the infant does. I hope we can see their needs I do not need an infant 2.0.
    BHv51HO.gif
    Alive - Episode 2: Friends |watch it on| Youtube | Forum | Twitter