Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Restock Costs Money!?!?!?

Why does restocking a shelf costs money? My sim just opened a small organic fruits and vegetable shop. His inventory is full of stock. But he was to pay like $100 per item to re-shelve what has been bought. How does that make any sense if your sim has provided their own items to sell?

Is there a mod out there that fixes this?
epngF25.png
It's up to Nancy!
My YouTube!

Comments

• Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Costs money in real life too. In the game its because restocking is basically supposed to be like paying a supplier for goods, that's why there is a charge associated with it. If you owned a store and sold out of an item, you'd have to wait for your next shipment (which you pay for) to replenish it. The game just doesn't use credit as you would in real life, unless you are running a small mom & pop operation.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    If you're taking stock from your inventory don't use the restock shelves option through the store to replenish it. You need to phyisically restock the spot yourself with your inventory items instead.

It's been a while since I've run a store but go into store mode clear the now empty spot. Replace it with an item from your inventory and set the new item for sale. It won't cost you anything and your using the product that your sim has produced/collected themselves.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Why does restocking a shelf costs money? My sim just opened a small organic fruits and vegetable shop. His inventory is full of stock. But he was to pay like $100 per item to re-shelve what has been bought. How does that make any sense if your sim has provided their own items to sell?

3KNPen wrote: »
    If you're taking stock from your inventory don't use the restock shelves option through the store to replenish it. You need to phyisically restock the spot yourself with your inventory items instead.

It's been a while since I've run a store but go into store mode clear the now empty spot. Replace it with an item from your inventory and set the new item for sale. It won't cost you anything and your using the product that your sim has produced/collected themselves.

Same for baked goodies and wood sculptures from the woodworking table, I think, though I might be wrong and if I am I don't know why this doesn't work for harvestables. In TS2 it takes it from you're inventory, in fact you can't restock it if you don't have it, regarding craftable goods.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »
    Costs money in real life too. In the game its because restocking is basically supposed to be like paying a supplier for goods, that's why there is a charge associated with it. If you owned a store and sold out of an item, you'd have to wait for your next shipment (which you pay for) to replenish it. The game just doesn't use credit as you would in real life, unless you are running a small mom & pop operation.

Yeah, I know about the restocking fees. lol But I was surprised that they would charge when it's coming out of the sim's inventory. Because in Sims 2 when sims have items in their inventory, they can just restock and no charging.

Yes, that's what I did. *cries* It takes a small amount of effort to do so. lol I like Sims 2 way better. Have no idea why they didn't do it like that. :|
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Same for baked goodies and wood sculptures from the woodworking table, I think, though I might be wrong and if I am I don't know why this doesn't work for harvestables. In TS2 it takes it from you're inventory, in fact you can't restock it if you don't have it, regarding craftable goods.

Yup. I like the way OFB worked in Sims 2. I don't understand why they just didn't do that. I mean, if it's not broke why try and fix it? And I also missing ringing customers up at the register. It just seems wrong to have them in the store but not use them.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Basically anything you can hold in your inventories can be sold this way. So craftables, collectibles, any furniture, decorations, electronics, appliances you may have in your inventory (including stolen items) can be restocked physically by you at no cost but you need to do it yourself. Otherwise it just restocks with an exact copy of the previous item and charges you for it.

The only items that don't work this way is clothing items.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2017
    Because just like real life you are supposed to gain some perks to where you can buy stock at a reduced price. In the game this last for about twelve hours etc. Take a look at your store rewards. There are no free lunches. Someone always pays. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Because just like real life you are supposed to gain some perks to where you can buy stock at a reduced price. In the game this last for about twelve hours etc. Take a look at your store rewards. There are no free lunches. Someone always pays. :D

Well this is my first place. lol I did open a bakery waaaay back GTW first came out, but I never played it. I may do a traditional store at some point, where my sim will have to be charged to stock the shelf. And like I said before, I'm not worried about that ( well, a bit, since I don't want them to go broke lol ). But over head is over head, and they have to pay for that. I was just surprised that unlike Sims 2, in Sims 4, if you sim has stuff in their inventory you have to manually place it on the shelf to be sold.

I just don't get why they did it like that? lol
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    I think it's realistic that it costs money, but it just costs too much in this version. In TS2, the restocking fee was more bearable. :D
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Aye, sadly stock ain't free in real life either :(

As for the convenience of restocking from inventory, I'm all for that. I find the game can be a bit unfriendly in this regard. Dealing with items, inventory, etc in general across the game is very finickity, IMO.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    lasummerb wrote: »
    I think it's realistic that it costs money, but it just costs too much in this version. In TS2, the restocking fee was more bearable. :D

Yes it was. And I had a ton of business. Some where good where handmade (like my tea shop/bakery) and others like electronics and furniture. Which had to pay to restock. I even had a boutique that my one sim sewed clothing on the sewing machine and sold. *sniff* Makes me all nostalgic. Once I get a larger hard drive I'm going to install Sims 2 again.
    Aye, sadly stock ain't free in real life either :(

As for the convenience of restocking from inventory, I'm all for that. I find the game can be a bit unfriendly in this regard. Dealing with items, inventory, etc in general across the game is very finickity, IMO.

I agree. And that brings me back to, why did they do it like that? lol Oh, well. I guess we will never know.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    seungdoseungdo Posts: 30 New Member
    So you need operate factory or farm or mine right?
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member

Sadly you have to manually put the stock out of the inventory :(
  • Options
    knazzer wrote: »

Sadly you have to manually put the stock out of the inventory :(

Yeah. :( But I'm glad the produce is selling! So that's a plus!
    seungdo wrote: »
    So you need operate factory or farm or mine right?

Yeah, I'm just doing a farm. But you never know, I may try a crystal or gem store too!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options

Well this is my first place. lol I did open a bakery waaaay back GTW first came out, but I never played it. I may do a traditional store at some point, where my sim will have to be charged to stock the shelf. And like I said before, I'm not worried about that ( well, a bit, since I don't want them to go broke lol ). But over head is over head, and they have to pay for that. I was just surprised that unlike Sims 2, in Sims 4, if you sim has stuff in their inventory you have to manually place it on the shelf to be sold.

I just don't get why they did it like that? lol

You don't need anything in inventory to restock and why it cost you to restock. The point is it plays like an rpg game, or tycoon game if that makes sense, you are supposed to be purchasing perks so you can afford cheaper stuff and make a bigger profit. There are a lot of things in TS4 that play like tycoon games instead of Sim games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    That makes since, since the game is trying to force you away from sandbox and more rpg. lol But it's been a really long time since I played a tycoon game. And I guess I'm coming at the store like I did with Sims 2 OFB. I hardly ever bought perks and I haven't gotten any for my sims with the farmer's market. Maybe when/if I do a different store type I will keep this all in mind! Get some of those perks!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    edited July 2017
    TS2's OFB also had 'perks' with three levels of wholesale discounts that can also be passed down to the next generation along with the other hard earned benefits.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Of course it costs money! Stores IRL don't get stuff for free. They buy the stuff and mark it up and sell it to us. Duh!
  • Options
    TS2's OFB also had 'perks' with three levels of wholesale discounts that can also be passed down to the next generation along with the other hard earned benefits.

Yeah, but I hardly every used those perks. lol I just never was interested in getting them.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Of course it costs money! Stores IRL don't get stuff for free. They buy the stuff and mark it up and sell it to us. Duh!

Um, rude much? Don't mind feedback, but being nasty is uncalled for. And if you took the time to read my previous posts. Yes, I know real life there are costs for stores. And again, I said, my sims are farmers, they have their own produce in their inventory, and unlike Sims 2, Sims 4 doesn't allow your sims to restock from their inventories. So they are being charged.

Learn to read before trying to get snarky.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    @GoldenBuffy Yeah, it's annoying that they can't restock from their inventories automatically. My Sim, Ayana owns a bakery. She makes most of her food items at home, puts them in the fridge, and when it's time to open the next day, I will pull out the food that I had placed in her inventory. I don't like using the restock option because the profit is a lot lower!
    05-29-17_10-48-21c2a0pm-vert.png?w=978
  • Options
    lasummerb wrote: »
    @GoldenBuffy Yeah, it's annoying that they can't restock from their inventories automatically. My Sim, Ayana owns a bakery. She makes most of her food items at home, puts them in the fridge, and when it's time to open the next day, I will pull out the food that I had placed in her inventory. I don't like using the restock option because the profit is a lot lower!
    05-29-17_10-48-21c2a0pm-vert.png?w=978

From your pics, I'm really liking the bakery! I think that's what I'll do when I have a sim open a bakery. Make it at home, load everything up, then bring it with them.

In my Sims 2 game, I made a kitchen that only the owner and staff could access. So her daughter did most of the baking (along with her), but the owner (mom) restocked the shelves. And I had two employees, one who manned the register, and the second ran the tea bar, getting drinks for customers.

Now I'm wondering, can we have sims who are employed work as a barista, or must your sims just hire someone to come to the lot and work?
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    edited July 2017
    I loved OFB too, and it was a bit of a shock when GTW retail system was so different. And different to me, didn't mean better. BUT, you get the hang of this new system, and it can become fun and even strategic, but you HAVE to use the rewards store to really see how the game can progress. Nothing is skill based anymore for your playable sim. So if you want your sim to ring them up quickly, you have to buy those rewards - then everyone in your household will get the benefit. Be careful about which rewards you buy. Some are especially good for family run businesses, and some are good for employers only. Your employees have skills though, and will get better at restocking, ringing up etc with experience.

It's been ages since I've tried, but unless they've changed things, Baristas weren't compatible with the retail system.

Take advantage of the Lice Fridge if you're running a grocery store. You just need to drag your fruit and vegies from your inventory into the fridge, and sims will automatically purchase your fruits and vegies. No restocking required, no checking out required, but also!! no perk points accumulated. So you have to weigh up the cost/benefit. I usually have both, a Lice Fridge, and other shelves. Keep in mind too, that Lice Fridges all share the same inventory, so you only have to fill one an ALL of them will store your items. It's good to have more than one if you can afford it, cause then sims will purchase from them ... and don't clump them together, but spread them throughout your store so you avoid bunching up (which can lead to routing problems, and then suspension of movement...)

The Lice Fridge functions differently when running a store, and when setting one up as a community venue to visit the store. When you're running the store, you will have to refill your fridge. Just keep dragging your produce into the fridge once you've harvested. (I grow fruit and vegies at my bakery for convenience.) If you're setting up a Grocery Store for your other playable sims to visit, then you only need to put one of each fruit and vegetable you want to sell. Then your controllable sim will get the option to "purchase from display", and they can buy as many fruits and vegies as they want.
  • Options
    @Simalleyaile , thanks for the info! I'm not sure if I will continue using the retail system though, since I really don't like it. lol I much more prefer how things ran in the Sims 2. But I will do my best to check everything out. Possibly start an electronics or furniture store. Not sure yet.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!