Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are whims obsolete?

Comments

• Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I use them in my rotations when I hit a point where I don't know what to do with my Sims next. Sometimes the 'talk with...' will inspire a new direction with a relationship or anything flirty can lead to some funny situations lol.

I forgot the cheat for rewards and spent a while building up points for the Fertile trait for two Sims. Other than that, I don't normally work on getting the reward traits that much.

The ones in Sims 3 worked well. I liked them and I was constantly trying to achieve them.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    It took me like 5 minutes to understand what you guys meant by whims, I thought you were talking about moodlets. Well considering my ignorance , they are completely irrelevant to me. Whims are those things I randomly get sometimes? Like "congratulations your loner sim has had no social life in 24 hours" or am I totally lost?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    It took me like 5 minutes to understand what you guys meant by whims, I thought you were talking about moodlets. Well considering my ignorance , they are completely irrelevant to me. Whims are those things I randomly get sometimes? Like "congratulations your loner sim has had no social life in 24 hours" or am I totally lost?
    Whims are the 3 wish things.

Nasty, nasty, nasty Whims!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    plopppo2 wrote: »

Uuuurg!!! They are sooo annoying! I would much rather get the wishes and fears system back. Especially the emotion driven ones, that change every single time cause sims are bipolar! I do try to fulfill them so I can get the reward traits , that are actually pretty useful though

Also thanks for clearing that up :)
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    My main problem with whims is that they usually mean things that my sim can't have or is just a trending thing. For example, I have also noticed that sims are obssesed with researching about vampires. But my main problem is when they want more stuff. I have an athletic sim and because of his aspiration I had to buy him two gym machines, but he still wants machines including stuff he already owns! I also take him to the gym pretty much every day and he isn't rich so it really bothers me that he wants his own gym
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member

Uuuurg!!! They are sooo annoying! I would much rather get the wishes and fears system back. Especially the emotion driven ones, that change every single time cause sims are bipolar! I do try to fulfill them so I can get the reward traits , that are actually pretty useful though

Whims are like three nasty, vile, stinking, smelly, putrid, pus-filled maggots sitting on our monitors!

Nobody likes Whims.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Whims are like three nasty, vile, stinking, smelly, putrid, pus-filled maggots sitting on our monitors!

Nobody likes Whims.

Yup, I can see why. I only satisfy the for the traits, I just can't deal with 3 traits only . The potions are pretty useless though, I have never spent reward points on them, plus it takes long to have enough points for anything good. I wish whims could last longer and be more relevant instead of making all sims look like ungrateful spoiled brats
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

Nobody likes Whims.

Yup, I can see why. I only satisfy the for the traits, I just can't deal with only 3 traits. The potions are pretty useless though, I have never used reward points on them, plus it takes long to have enough points for anything good. I wish whims could last longer and be more relevant instead of making all sims look like ungrateful spoiled brats

Interesting. My sims are fuelled by potions :grin:
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options

Nobody likes Whims.

Yup, I can see why. I only satisfy the for the traits, I just can't deal with only 3 traits. The potions are pretty useless though, I have never used reward points on them, plus it takes long to have enough points for anything good. I wish whims could last longer and be more relevant instead of making all sims look like ungrateful spoiled brats

Aren't they mood related? Kind of similar to some objects ?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

Nobody likes Whims.

There are different ones. I generally burn through the ones that fulfil needs - my sims don't go partying without their sleep replacement potions, for example ;)
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    Whims are fruitless . I wish that we had TS2 style wants and aspirations back. Our sims would have a mental meltdown and have to see a
    quack doctor , if their aspiration meter was incredibly low. I liked that. Our sims sorta got "depressed" back then. They should have kept that model.

I honestly think that they got rid of that system cause it was pushing the "T rating" cause you had depressed sims... I feel like everything goes against the rating for them. The quack doctor and the social bunny never made it back into the game.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

Nobody likes Whims.

There are different ones. I generally burn through the ones that fulfil needs - my sims don't go partying without their sleep replacement potions, for example ;)

... well see I didn't know that lol I always thought about moods. I feel like I ignore so much stuff and I have most of my sims partying all night.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2017
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    I haven't paid much attention to whims. Back when I played Sims 3, I'd focus on Wants and Fears, but not in this game.

Sims 3 has wishes, Sims 2 has wants and fears. In the Sims 2 it adds points to aspiration rewards, in the Sims 3 it adds lifetime points and in Sims 4 it adds to the satisfaction points.

Whims in TS4 are stupid and useless because:

They are barely relevant to the sim in question, regarding his life, his traits, his aspiration, his friends and relashionships etc.

Unlike in previous games the rewards that you can buy with the reward points are trait based only, most doesn't work and what they are meant to change or improve isn't really a big deal when it's meant to.

Unlike in previous games only two or so gamepacks have added traits to the reward table, whereas in the past, especially TS3 each EP gave us a ton new rewards (like the genie lamp, mermaid kelp, weather machine, inheritance etc).

There are only 3, whereas in past games you had 4 or more.

Unlike in past games your sim will not feel better (or worse) for not completing any whim, as there is no aspiration meter (TS2) or mood meter (TS3 sims gain fulfilled moodlet making their mood better) making them more irrelevant.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PreslynnPreslynn Posts: 36 Member
    I do agree that whims can get pretty repetitive and some (buy a pool, go to the city) just annoy the living heck out of me. But I don't get why everyone is praising the Sims 2 system? It was just as repetitive. If you had say, pets, every darn Sim wanted to get a pet (kind of like they all want to go to San Myshuno or look up Vampire stuff). Pleasure Sims wanted to juggle over and over and over again. The fears were also mostly the same for every Sim- peeing their pants, a loved one dying and my least favorite, aging up without going to college. Every Sim who aged up without going to college went into aspiration failure so clearly, that system wasn't that great because it treated them all the same. What I do like about the whims is that I can just get rid of the ones I don't want to do and find something that appeals to me. If I just get my Sim started on something, they start getting whims to interact with that person or work on that skill which again, wasn't a thing in 2. You were stuck with what was rolled until you fulfilled it or they woke up the next day. I never played Sims 3 but having seen other people play, the wishes on there really weren't that amazing either. They mostly look similiar to whims to me. And from what I heard (correct me if I'm wrong) you lost every wish you promised when you switched households. I play rotation so they could have been the bee's knees, I wouldn't have liked them if that was the case.

What I did like is that there were more spots for the whim. I do wish we could have three normal whims at least. I wouldn't mind the emotional ones were scrapped because I hardly ever do those. They go away before you get to them most of the time.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2017
    Preslynn wrote: »
    I do agree that whims can get pretty repetitive and some (buy a pool, go to the city) just annoy the living heck out of me. But I don't get why everyone is praising the Sims 2 system? It was just as repetitive. If you had say, pets, every darn Sim wanted to get a pet (kind of like they all want to go to San Myshuno or look up Vampire stuff). Pleasure Sims wanted to juggle over and over and over again. The fears were also mostly the same for every Sim- peeing their pants, a loved one dying and my least favorite, aging up without going to college. Every Sim who aged up without going to college went into aspiration failure so clearly, that system wasn't that great because it treated them all the same. What I do like about the whims is that I can just get rid of the ones I don't want to do and find something that appeals to me. If I just get my Sim started on something, they start getting whims to interact with that person or work on that skill which again, wasn't a thing in 2. You were stuck with what was rolled until you fulfilled it or they woke up the next day. I never played Sims 3 but having seen other people play, the wishes on there really weren't that amazing either. They mostly look similiar to whims to me. And from what I heard (correct me if I'm wrong) you lost every wish you promised when you switched households. I play rotation so they could have been the bee's knees, I wouldn't have liked them if that was the case.

What I did like is that there were more spots for the whim. I do wish we could have three normal whims at least. I wouldn't mind the emotional ones were scrapped because I hardly ever do those. They go away before you get to them most of the time.

Sims in TS2 might have similar or even the same wants and fears across the same aspiration however, Sims with different aspirations in TS2 have different wants and fears. Sims in TS4 with different aspirations have the same whims. I don't see how TS4 is any better, it's honestly far worse.

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    ....another one that grinds me...listen to S-Pop....as if there wasn't other music stations in the game.

What this smells of to me is that they pushed that whim when S-Pop was added to the game and now that's it. Your sim will never get a whim for the blues again - ever.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Preslynn wrote: »

Mmm... i don't really agree with what you said about TS2. I don't remember wishes feeling repetitive to me, especially cause say you wanted a sim who wanted a baby and the other one didn't, you had that conflict which was awesome. Also both fears and wishes had consequences cause of the memories. Also the variety, sometimes they wanted a baby girl or sometimes a baby boy. I thought it was awesome.

In TS4 sims usually get like the dumbest whims ever, I've switched them several times. I get: get to know a sim I already know, own machines I already own, give out keys to a million people, research vampires, tell a joke. I think like the only significant whims are wohoo, propose, get married and try for a baby and it happens randomly. I wish my sims would at least wait till they got married to wish for babies.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,468 Member
    Whims are infuriatingly repetitive in TS4. I used to love doing a 'wishacy' challenge in TS3 but I just can't do that in this iteration - it would drive me nuts - my Sims would either be watching TV constantly or on the computer researching vampires :s I pretty much only fulfil the romantic ones...
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited July 2017
    I loathe whim system in the sims 4. It's one of my biggest criticisms of the game and I think it's one of the biggest let downs.

I like that in the sims 2 and 3 wishes and wants were relevant to the sim. Like my sim in the sims 2 wants her children to get a scholarship to university (she is a fortune sim) so many of her wants are tied to being successful in life and seeing her children do the same.

In the sims 3 when my teen is going through a mood swing, her wants tie to that. She rolled the wants to beat up her sister and copy someone's homework.

So I was very disappointed when parenthood came out and my teen went through a mood swing and her whims were buy a dish washer, research vampires and buy a puppet show.Nothing related to her supposed mood swing. Her mother had the whims to research vampires, play a computer game and buy a 1x1 pool.

Whims should be relevant, not just on a cycle.
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    edited July 2017
    Whims are useless in this game and he system needs to be fixed (same with memories). I use them for reward points only (if there is a reward trait I really want).
    IMO, they need to be a bit more specific and more connected to traits and the sim itself. Have a sim want to marry someone rich (materialistic trait). Have negative whims like slapping your enemy. And please return fears. I like the fact that some of them are small (like take a nap or talk to someone), but there should be more serious, sim-related whims as well.
    Honestly, this, together with attraction and memories, are irking me at the moment. I wish these things were fixed and then I really would not have any major issues with TS4. EDIT: (Don't get me wrong- I really like the game).
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    Whims are useless and horribly done. And the satisfaction reward things are just baisically cheats.

I don't have many ideas on how to improve whims right now, but I do have ideas on how to improve satisfaction.

After completing a lot of whims, sims will start to feel happier as a person.
    First, after completing some whims, they will smile a bit more. Then, a couple days later of completing whims, they will have stronger happy buffs. Then, after completing more whims, they will start to tell jokes and compliment people more often automatically. And eventually, they will start to develop a bouncy walk style. The final thing that will happen is they will develop the Cheerful trait.

If a sim doesn't complete a lot of whims, they will start to become depressed.
    Maybe a couple sim days without completing a lot of whims will make a sim start to frown a bit more. A couple of sim days later without completing a lot of whims will make sims look down on the floor sometimes. Then, they will start developing stronger sad moodlets. After a while, they will start developing a sad, sluggish walk style. The last thing that will happen is they will develop the Gloomy trait.

Of course, whims would need to be revamped too if this were added. And, there would be a toggle to turn this system off.

Thankyou for reading :)
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    LittlestGamer168LittlestGamer168 Posts: 88 Member
    > @FloppyFish said:
    > Whims are useless and horribly done. And the satisfaction reward things are just baisically cheats.
    >
    > I don't have many ideas on how to improve whims right now, but I do have ideas on how to improve satisfaction.
    >
    > After completing a lot of whims, sims will start to feel happier as a person.
    > First, after completing some whims, they will smile a bit more. Then, a couple days later of completing whims, they will have stronger happy buffs. Then, after completing more whims, they will start to tell jokes and compliment people more often automatically. And eventually, they will start to develop a bouncy walk style. The final thing that will happen is they will develop the Cheerful trait.
    >
    > If a sim doesn't complete a lot of whims, they will start to become depressed.
    > Maybe a couple sim days without completing a lot of whims will make a sim start to frown a bit more. A couple of sim days later without completing a lot of whims will make sims look down on the floor sometimes. Then, they will start developing stronger sad moodlets. After a while, they will start developing a sad, sluggish walk style. The last thing that will happen is they will develop the Gloomy trait.
    >
    > Of course, whims would need to be revamped too if this were added. And, there would be a toggle to turn this system off.
    >
    > Thankyou for reading :)

From what I've read on this thread, it's a bit like the Sims 2, but it's still a cool idea. This should definitely be added. Maybe when you get really low, your sim refuses to talk and has whims such as Lock a Door (to be alone),and Cry. Maybe as you go further down the depression, you develop more negative traits, such as mean, loner, noncommittal, jealous, kleptomaniac, and finally, insane. Maybe when you get happier, you get more positive traits, such as cheerful, goofball, ambitious, and good, then finally, either outgoing or bro. I think when you start the family, you can choose the traits, but with the children, their whims and lifestyle shape them and help them develop their traits.
    Why I play the sims is a question with a million answers.
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    Cool ideas @LittlestGamer168 ! :)
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    LittlestGamer168LittlestGamer168 Posts: 88 Member
    @FloppyFish Thanks!
    Why I play the sims is a question with a million answers.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't bother with them unless it fits in with what I'm doing. And cancelling any of them has never worked, they just rinse and repeat. And 99% of the time you could fill one and it just comes right back, too. They have no memory and it's the type of gameplay like my gawd we just did that one can't you roll another one? Totally redundant and boring so yes, totally obsoelete since day one. I only gave a few Sims reward traits by filling some whims then done with it three years ago. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.