Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

As a builder, I feel abandoned in Sims 4 :(

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited November 2016
    aricarai wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what has been said already. I wouldn't call myself a huge builder but I had been getting more and more into it by the end of the Sims 3 and I know some players are having a fine time with what's provided in the Sims 4, but it really does feel to me like to get what we got we had to give up a lot of what we had. In some cases, at least to me, it simply doesn't feel like it was worth it.

And I so agree with the hearing but not listening thing. Until there's proof that they're actually listening there won't be much peace in the valley. The fact that they can't talk about much of anything right now doesn't help either. At this rate, in regards to the Sims 4, I don't think anything will help with how players feel if the players in question have deep, core issues with the game. If there is a Sims 5, the issues people are having with EA and the Sims 4 right now are definitely going to play a role in people's feelings towards the game. A lot of us were on the fence with 4, so I can just imagine how it'll be with 5.

Hopefully, if they decide to have a Sims 5 there will be a lot of listening and not just hearing the players. It would be nice to have a lot of open and in depth communication on the actual game forums before or at the beginning stages. For them to feed us their ideas, for us to feed them our ideas and have back and forth conversations about what and how we'd like to see things done. Just bounce ideas off each other, because while there is the issue of them hearing and not listening, there's also the half listening. They decide to implement a great idea fans have been talking about wanting for the longest but they water it down so much or miss such obvious things that depending on what the idea was, you wonder was there a point in even adding it anyway. So a good back and forth would be awesome.

Them not being able to talk about future content will probably interfere with something like that as well. :disappointed:

I would like to add to this with a simple question: how many non-builders have benefited from builders?

I could say the same about mod creators, world creators, and CC creators, etc.

Does cutting the throat of one who is able to deliver a good thing? No need to answer.

The question isn't really directed to you. ;)

I would say a lot more now that we have the gallery ;)

We may have lost some creativity tools, but we've gained a lot in the ease of showcasing and distributing creations I think.

The Exchange was in Sims 3 - and there were loads of showcase threads in the Creative Corner.

Also, I don't think that was exactly what kremesch73 meant. I think what they were trying to say (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that because Sims 4 building has been so scaled back, anyone can do it now.

Or I could have that completely wrong, but that's how I read it!

I was actually attempting to point out offering users the tools to create is something that benefits many. When there are more limitations on such things, it's not only the creators that are limited.

I sometimes feel like people forget this. What made the ability to create worlds in the past was never just for the creator. Same goes for many of the tools we had to build with in the past. It was for everyone.

Those who couldn't do it benefitted from those who could.

I'm not sure I really made sense in my other post. So it's okay that it wasn't clear. I re-read it and realized the post I quoted may have been the wrong one to quote.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what has been said already. I wouldn't call myself a huge builder but I had been getting more and more into it by the end of the Sims 3 and I know some players are having a fine time with what's provided in the Sims 4, but it really does feel to me like to get what we got we had to give up a lot of what we had. In some cases, at least to me, it simply doesn't feel like it was worth it.

And I so agree with the hearing but not listening thing. Until there's proof that they're actually listening there won't be much peace in the valley. The fact that they can't talk about much of anything right now doesn't help either. At this rate, in regards to the Sims 4, I don't think anything will help with how players feel if the players in question have deep, core issues with the game. If there is a Sims 5, the issues people are having with EA and the Sims 4 right now are definitely going to play a role in people's feelings towards the game. A lot of us were on the fence with 4, so I can just imagine how it'll be with 5.

Hopefully, if they decide to have a Sims 5 there will be a lot of listening and not just hearing the players. It would be nice to have a lot of open and in depth communication on the actual game forums before or at the beginning stages. For them to feed us their ideas, for us to feed them our ideas and have back and forth conversations about what and how we'd like to see things done. Just bounce ideas off each other, because while there is the issue of them hearing and not listening, there's also the half listening. They decide to implement a great idea fans have been talking about wanting for the longest but they water it down so much or miss such obvious things that depending on what the idea was, you wonder was there a point in even adding it anyway. So a good back and forth would be awesome.

Them not being able to talk about future content will probably interfere with something like that as well. :disappointed:

I would like to add to this with a simple question: how many non-builders have benefited from builders?

Does cutting the throat of one who is able to deliver a good thing? No need to answer.

I would say a lot more now that we have the gallery ;)

We may have lost some creativity tools, but we've gained a lot in the ease of showcasing and distributing creations I think.

The Exchange was in Sims 3 - and there were loads of showcase threads in the Creative Corner.

Also, I don't think that was exactly what kremesch73 meant. I think what they were trying to say (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that because Sims 4 building has been so scaled back, anyone can do it now.

Or I could have that completely wrong, but that's how I read it!

I was actually attempting to point out offering users the tools to create is something that benefits many. When there are more limitations on such things, it's not only the creators that are limited.

I sometimes feel like people forget this. What made the ability to create worlds in the past was never just for the creator. Same goes for many of the tools we had to build with in the past. It was for everyone.

Those who couldn't do it benefitted from those who could.

I'm not sure I really made sense in my other post. So it's okay that it wasn't clear. I re-read it and realized the post I quoted may have been the wrong one to quote.

Yes to all of this - I think that's what I was trying to get at in my post, but it didn't come out right either.

In TS3, the tools are there, but there's still so much I'm not good building wise and I still learn how to build different ways all the time, so I turn to those that know their way around build mode like the back their hand and admire their amazing work!
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Absolutely.
    At the beginning of this iteration I was happy as I saw many good new additions to build mode and assumed because of their initial empty promises that we would get a terrain tool in no time after pools were added. I could see so much potential for build mode!!!
    I was hopeful they'd throw in new build mode innovations often and I assumed that by this time we would have a wide selection of windows, doors, arcs, floors, walls and the likes.

Then I waited and waited, and nothing seemed to change. Very few build items were added in packs and the terrain tool never came. I would have thought that by now I could build my own ponds and have different highs and foundations on the same lot, but no. Nothing. Nada.
    Then City Living arrived and with it, the confirmation of build mode (and builders) abandonment.

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Also, the simple fact that we can't alter size or rotate the lots drives me crazy. So many limits!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Absolutely.
    At the beginning of this iteration I was happy as I saw many good new additions to build mode and assumed because of their initial empty promises that we would get a terrain tool in no time after pools were added. I could see so much potential for build mode!!!
    I was hopeful they'd throw in new build mode innovations often and I assumed that by this time we would have a wide selection of windows, doors, arcs, floors, walls and the likes.

Then I waited and waited, and nothing seemed to change. Very few build items were added in packs and the terrain tool never came. I would have thought that by now I could build my own ponds and have different highs and foundations on the same lot, but no. Nothing. Nada.
    Then City Living arrived and with it, the confirmation of build mode (and builders) abandonment.

Heh. I started out with the same expectations. I really did think they would expand upon the base. Now I know different.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    They were too busy trying to lure in kiddies with tablets to care about you.
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Absolutely.

Yes, this exactly!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

That's the part that confuses me the most, well... a lot of things confuse me when is comes to decisions made in the creation of The Sims 4, but on the creator front especially.

Creators in general play such an important role, giving creators more options gives everyone more options. You'd think if anything they would've expanded upon that. They seem to be going in a logical next step when it comes to creating sims (though I'd prefer a mix of click/drag and sliders) but everything else, while taking one or two step forward in some cases, seems to have taken three or more steps back. Sure, everything is pretty and bright, and colorful, but if there aren't a lot of options then some things will eventually, if they haven't already, come to feel repetitive and bland.

It makes very little sense to me. I mean, I understood their explanation for some features being gone but it created more questions than it answered for me. City Living should've been a builder's dream practically. An explorer's dream too for that matter.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

That's the part that confuses me the most, well... a lot of things confuse me when is comes to decisions made in the creation of The Sims 4, but on the creator front especially.

Creators in general play such an important role, giving creators more options gives everyone more options. You'd think if anything they would've expanded upon that. They seem to be going in a logical next step when it comes to creating sims (though I'd prefer a mix of click/drag and sliders) but everything else, while taking one or two step forward in some cases, seems to have taken three or more steps back. Sure, everything is pretty and bright, and colorful, but if there aren't a lot of options then some things will eventually, if they haven't already, come to feel repetitive and bland.

It makes very little sense to me. I mean, I understood their explanation for some features being gone but it created more questions than it answered for me. City Living should've been a builder's dream practically. An explorer's dream too for that matter.

Well said :smile:

City Living could have been a good step forward for TS4 but as you said, one or two steps forwards, three or four steps back.

A lot of players are saying that there is not enough space to build, a lack of an edit neighbourhood option being an issue and that could have easily been implemented in City Life. However despite the hype or having apartments in the game again, you can apparently only edit them and not build your own, another step backwards.

If anything the biggest hype was over the talking toilet, and the hype of that has already been flushed away :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    I am afraid that EA will continue making EPs that are restricted to the world that comes with it. It looks like to me that the game engine can not handle adding some features across the entire game. Apartments and elevators are a good example of this since we cannot make apartments or use elevators in other worlds or neighborhoods. Is this what we have to look forward to for seasons or pets? How plum is that?
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    I am afraid that EA will continue making EPs that are restricted to the world that comes with it. It looks like to me that the game engine can not handle adding some features across the entire game. Apartments and elevators are a good example of this since we cannot make apartments or use elevators in other worlds or neighborhoods. Is this what we have to look forward to for seasons or pets? How plum is that?

For quite a while now players have been worried that Seasons might be avalable in one world only. That might not even be the case but if it is, it would make the entire EP pointless as usually part of the fun is to see the weather chsnge in each world.

As for Pets, I can imagine that they would be avalable everywhere but maybe only some animals spawn in a new world.

I wouldn't want to see these restrictions in the game and if that is going to be the case then that would be yet another disappointment
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    AlianinaAlianina Posts: 12 New Member
    I especially dislike that you can't have a building be more than 4 stories. I want to build skyscrapers, gosh darnit!
  • Options
    lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    I feel abandoned too. I have several issues. They gave us garage doors that I'd like to use but it doesn't look authentic if I have a foundation. I wish the raise/lower cheat would let you sink something into the foundation, between levels, or even into the ground. I miss the ability to change colors like in Sims 3. I also want to ability to place a window or door the same way I would a buy mode object. I might have a 3-tile entrance and am forced to place either a 1-tile or 3-tile door because I can't center a 2-tile.

I REALLY miss the terrain tools and constrain floor elevation as well as more options with the stairs. It can be tough building with only straight staircases. I like using real house plans in some of my builds -- try modifying them to straight staircases! I would much rather "hassle" with foundations and basements while having the ability to have part of the house on a foundation and the other not than to have what we currently have. I'm almost ready for them to move onto Sims 5 as long as they go back to what we used to have.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I don't necessarily feel abandoned by Sims4 when it comes to building.

I feel uninspired.

Uninspired and am unable to build what I vision I have in my head.
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member

You know what is really sad. It's coming up on 3 years since this Excuse for a Sims game was released...and it is still as limited for the builders as the day it launched.

They've had how many EP's, GP's, and SP's and still....Nothing for builders? They push out all this useless content...nothing matches... and No color wheel or terrain tool STILL.

I've seen everything that has come out since I uninstalled it (almost a year ago now) and I come to the forums to see if any of it has made a difference.... and No... it hasn't. So many simmers are still so incredibly unhappy with the game.... and there is thread after thread after thread on these forums asking, begging, complaining, shouting, for them to fix it....to at least bring back something from the previous games that would give it a heart beat.

I just don't think they can fix it. They used a game engine that can't take much. They refuse or are incapable of making a sims game that requires and uses higher computer specs to make it competitive with other games on the market. This version of the sims, has made the franchise a joke.

And while there are players out there that enjoy this version of the sims....I feel that the novelty of it will wear off...they will stop coming to the forums to defend it and will move on to games that have actual game play in them. Us Builders...well most of us have already moved on. In my case...I can get my city building fix on Steam with City Skylines... and am saving up for a monster gaming rig so I can play games like Planet coaster that have higher graphics, Ram, and processor requirements. And If I get nostalgic for the sims...I just go back to TS3, and load up a world and start customizing it, building houses, parks, restaurants, and so on. At least TS3 gives us builders something to do. And the gameplay is great as well.

I really don't see them doing anything for the builders at this point. Family players got their Toddlers...even us builders were pushing for them cause we knew how important it was for the family players....and yet...Here we are, all us builders....we've asked, we've begged, we've shouted and suggested. But now, I think it's time we move on. If the makers of TS4 don't give a Hoot about us, then why should we give them another dime. I know I wont. I've seen the next set of stuff they are releasing...and there is nothing in there for builders. NOT ANOTHER DIME!!
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited April 2017
    @thevogel Builders shouldn't be your main concern (< Sorry, wrong thread - irrelevant remark). Colony players (aka. those that like to create new words or expand premades) too and other. The SIms series imo should cater for all type of players who have different playstyles. Remember, toddlers still doesn't add much family play. Try playing a family that doesn't include that life stage, an you'll see how it still is shallow|superficial|meaningless|dull the generations are after the 2 years since the base game. And for EA it took 2 FREAKING YEARS to create those tiny devils. Not trying to defend, but by that observation it should take to release one particular thing builders in 2 more years, and like with toddlers: it wouldn't be that big to expand the game (like the other remaining life stages are missing depth still with toddlers out.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    As well as you should.

I've never been much of a builder, and even I can see how much this current game lacks in the creative department for builders. I feel for them, for I was previously able to admire and enjoy amazing worlds created by fellow players.
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    azfalt01azfalt01 Posts: 1 New Member
    First i miss the enovation options in sims 2 where you could design your own wallpaper designs and clothes for the sims if able.
    Second i agree in the lack of building options, sims 2 and 3 got most of the same building options, thou a few things was removed from sims 3 that were posible in sims 2 aswell, so in short it looks like the building options and creative tools peeked in sims 2.

The downgrades migt be a graphics isue due to 3D mechanics in new graphic engines for the many types of hardware around, and to add further more down that lane, simplicity is made simply to make programming easier to console gamers where they are limited to game controler rather than the many options gained and given by a mouse and keyboard setup.

So ill sum this up with these two lines:
    "Console gamers should buy a computer for the greatness of the greater good and to support the creative minded, and not to add limitations to the gifted just to please the many less gifted people, who only want to limit them self."

"Only way to be better, do better and to learn somthing new, is to test your own limits and skills each day."

Cincearly
    Allan "Azfalt" Hansen
    Denmark
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2017
    @azfalt01 I've built far more in Sims 3 than I did in Sims 2, what did they remove? Can't really think of anything but like I said that may be lack of experience. (for me CASt is a pretty high peek by the way)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @thevogel Builders shouldn't be your main concern (< Sorry, wrong thread - irrelevant remark). Colony players (aka. those that like to create new words or expand premades) too and other. The SIms series imo should cater for all type of players who have different playstyles. Remember, toddlers still doesn't add much family play. Try playing a family that doesn't include that life stage, an you'll see how it still is shallow|superficial|meaningless|dull the generations are after the 2 years since the base game. And for EA it took 2 FREAKING YEARS to create those tiny devils. Not trying to defend, but by that observation it should take to release one particular thing builders in 2 more years, and like with toddlers: it wouldn't be that big to expand the game (like the other remaining life stages are missing depth still with toddlers out.

Colony players got ripped off by TS4 big time. And yes... this game should cater to everyone...That's why I will still play TS3...cause it still outshines 4 at every stage. All EA/Maxis had to do what pick up where they left off with 3. But no...they gave us a boring, unplayable (for me) game.

And I do like to play the life stages, once I've got my builds finished. But, all the life stages in TS4 need work. But that is an entirely different conversation that go could on for many many pages of this forum. I think for the purpose of this thread...Yeah...builders and yes, colony players got shafted.

Unless they finally realize that they need to raise the bar with the spec requirements for a new version of The Sims... anything else they come out with will be just the same as what loyal fans of The Sims series are dealing with now..... More money for little quality, and less than spectacular game play.
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited July 2017
    I also think part of it is that builders are such a small minority of the player base that any requests we make get buried and ignored (though it's impossible to really know for sure). I mean looking at the feedback / suggestions topics, toddlers are great, pets would be nice, cars are cool I guess, laundry is...ughhh really...

Where are things like diagonal staircases, rounded/octagonal roofs (seriously, don't even get me started on how needlessly awkward working with roofing is in this game), frameless windows, variable foundation heights, or maybe even just better sorting options in the gallery?

We can make curved foundations, but not curved walls? No real way to build bridges over ponds in the garden? Banisters for stairs never match the railing even though they are obviously of the same style? Only one window per wall segment even though some are clearly small enough to fit?

None of these things seem terribly difficult to implement, but sure I guess I'm cool with getting 50 more variations of cropped jeans that all look the same instead...

And it's not just EA, sometimes I feel alienated by the community as well. See, I want you to download my creations. I want your sims to make the shiny new house I uploaded their home and start a family. I want you to use them, renovate them, and maybe even share your edits to the gallery. You don't even need to specifically mention that you got it from me, because if you made the effort to redecorate it, then in all fairness it's your creation.

But the problem is, many people simply just upload completely unedited copies, sometimes in quick succession (and often choosing what is perhaps the most unflattering angle / lighting to boot). But the moment I (or anyone) brings it up, all of a sudden the builder is the one at fault for the audacity of being proud of his/her work. Half the time it's not even about wanting credit for whatever, it's because carbon copies are BORING. But hey, "if you don't like it, don't upload" right?

Anyway, rant post over.

dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    RIGHT!!!? I think I had one very proud moment of a house I made in TS4. But everything else was boring and looked the same, cause they took everything away and left us with a 5 color pre-determined color palate.

But, yeah... somehow the builder is the "bad guy". We are "awful" for wanting more choices and "awful" for not providing enough variety to the sims community.... oh and God forbid we be proud of anything we build.

TS4 just kinda drains the life out of a builder at this point.
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Seems to me - and correct me if I'm wrong - with arguments please - Sims 4 doesn't cater builders, it caters non builders. Making things easier for those who don't like building, enabling them to throw in a fair looking house in a flash. But for builders it's all restrictions and limitations.

You are not Wrong at All! That is exactly what they did. Most of my frustrations are lost to the wind, cause the non builders really don't care. And they are pretty rude about it.
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    Here is the list of things I want for building:

1. TERRAIN TOOL

AOGrfDA.jpg

I do not know about you guys, but I'm tired of building homes on completely flat lots. It is extremely limiting. The terrain tool opened a range of absurd possibilities, and it also featured the cheat code "constrainfloorelevation", which allowed for incredible construction tricks. Unfortunately this tool was removed from The Sims 4 because of the "Olympus Project" since the terrain changes data would be too complex to synchronize and an online game server. But now The Sims 4 is now an off-line game and producers could make an engineering effort if there were issues with the gallery.

2. LAKE TOOL

sims3updates_obj_1149_M.jpg

This tool was great for use in community lots. It does not exist in The Sims 4, so because we do not have a terrain tool. What do I have to say about this? A sadness. Players have been forced to build pools and then add rocks all over the edge as a sort of disguise, creating a kind of artificial lake. It's decadent.

774-670x350.jpg

3. INDEPENDENT FOUNDATIONS

maxresdefault.jpg

If we build a house with foundations, any other building in the lot, even if it is not connected to the main building, will have to have a foundation as well. It's ridiculous and limits buildings a lot. I would like to be able to build any room in a lot and decide on which one will have foundation, which will not have, and also set different heights for any.

I'd also like something similar to the cheat "placefriezes" that came with The Sims 3 Ambitions. This cheat allowed to put "foundations" in the part of the top of the construction.

sims3ep2-60.jpg

4. L Shaped Stairs Tool

9b99f4bb97bf6c19a7ec86ba3b6d4fcc--l-shaped-staircase-staircase-ideas.jpg

It is past the time of Maxis provide to the players a TOOL that allows the construction of L-shaped staris. And detail: I said "TOOL". I do not want a ladder "object" like it was made in The Sims 3, or shomething similar a Spiral Stair, that is a pure object.. I want a tool that lets you build L-shaped ladders freely, allowing you to set the height of the base. In The Sims 2 Open For Business was added a "special foundation that made it easy to add L-shaped stairs, though it was not so perfect. In The Sims 3, the producers did not add the special foundation and the players were forced to use cheat, a total setback.

I only accept spiral stairs as an object, now L-shaped stairs NEED to be free.

9BR6rO4.jpg

5. SPIRAL STAIRS

Yeahh, we want Spiral Stairsss! But remember people! There's not just spiral stairs in the world. We also need L shaped stairs!

6. CHANGE CEILING TILE

In The Sims 4, we can't change the ceiling tile. Is always that white tile forever (but I hope not). This feature was present in The Sims 2, and in The Sims 3 always was present since base game.

sims3updates_obj_18035_1_L.jpg

If I remember anything else that I would very much like to return to building mode, I'll show up around here again. But yes, there are claims, and they are clear.

The last substantial addition to the build mode, which I saw, were "half walls".
    tenor.gif