Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hi everyone! Just popping into the lounge because I posted a chapter for my story today that I'm absolutely in love with. It's all about Cristian and Kenya Ralston today, and I simply had to share. Enjoy!

I swooned all the way through this chapter. I've got a huge SimSquish on Cristian!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    nani wrote: »
    hi everyone i've seen people talking bout generation,
    i despise the term "millenials" because it's too vague, and when i see millenials i think of people born strictly in the 2000' which is not the case.
    you can't say people born in 80, in 90 and in 2000' something had the same childhood.
    My family, a pretty big one that goes from the 80' to the early 2000', and lots lived it in a different way.
    i didn't had the same childhood as my sisters born in the 80' or my brothers in 2000'
    so yea, plum labels ! :D

I think the point was those born in the late 80s came of age in the 2000s. That's why they backed it up. But there's a lot of confusion about it. I think you're absolutely right, @nani, everyone has different growing up experiences leading to different mindsets, habits, preferences, and values as adults.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,759 Member
    My dad tried to give grapes to the dog today but I saw him doing that and I yelled at him and Mom when she turned around and found out also yelled at Dad..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    i despise the term "millenials" because it's too vague, and when i see millenials i think of people born strictly in the 2000' which is not the case.
    you can't say people born in 80, in 90 and in 2000' something had the same childhood.
    My family, a pretty big one that goes from the 80' to the early 2000', and lots lived it in a different way.
    i didn't had the same childhood as my sisters born in the 80' or my brothers in 2000'

I think the point was those born in the late 80s came of age in the 2000s. That's why they backed it up. But there's a lot of confusion about it. I think you're absolutely right, @nani, everyone has different growing up experiences leading to different mindsets, habits, preferences, and values as adults.

I so agree!

How do we have anything in common with teenagers? They grew up with technology. We had technology, but later in life and that was like dial up and gameboy lol

However, I think generations make more sense when the whole generation is "grown up". Like when millenials are 35-50 yrs old then we will see a generation gap with the generation after if that makes sense lol
    THIRTYT(2).png
  • Options
    Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    Simlit crisis:

Anyone else find themselves using the same poses all the time? Do people pick up on that or does it not matter?

I didn't realize it until this chapter I'm writing, but there needs to be more fighting poses lol
    THIRTYT(2).png
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Acarb90 wrote: »

I so agree!

How do we have anything in common with teenagers? They grew up with technology. We had technology, but later in life and that was like dial up and gameboy lol

However, I think generations make more sense when the whole generation is "grown up". Like when millenials are 35-50 yrs old then we will see a generation gap with the generation after if that makes sense lol

pffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttt. i resent the word grown up. lol.
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,233 Member
    Bucky's dreams are becoming a reality. :)

2-60.png?resize=594%2C311
    2.13: Writer In Residence (part 1)
    Four years quickly pass by. Bucky graduated high school three years ago and gotten a job at his mom’s workplace as a Writer’s Assistant. The writer he assisted and everyone else in the company was impressed that Bucky quickly started moving up in...
    READ MORE
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @nani as i said earlier I was born in june of 1990 and I remember that we didn't have internet until I was in Gr.3 or 4. I also remember that in my house for some years until late elementary/early high school we had dial-up connection. But now we have a wi-fi system plus a router
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    @Acarb90

I say don't worry about using poses many times. I doubt readers will really notice.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    I need to throw a question out before I actually play-test it myself.

I'm going to set a different scene ( feel free to steal it to put in your game cause my scene is going to be different :D ) before I ask the question.

You have a large room, like a ballroom. The lighting is natural. people are mingling and dancing. Lights go out and there is a spotlight on one area giving recognition to it.

Question: Is it possible to have a dark room and have a light in a specific area?

I'm thinking I could try removing the windows. That prevents outside light from coming in. I don't want pitch black, obviously... but I will be attempting to have a certain area of the large size room, ballroom for example, be emphasized with more lighting, like a spotlight for example.

Now, you could just say... use an image editing program and make it easy on yourself. For this, I will be creating in-game video pieces, so that won't work. I plan on zooming in on two specific areas that won't show windows, so that is why I am thinking I could get rid of the windows when it comes time to darken the room.

Back to Question: Has anyone done this type of thing in their game?

I'm planning ahead for a very special chapter in The Duckson Legacy and want to hopefully see if something like this can or has been done.
  • Options
    @LegacySims2017 you might want to ask @PrincessSimcess because she had to do something simliar for her La Belle&the Beast sim story she's working on.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @LegacySims2017 you might want to ask @PrincessSimcess because she had to do something simliar for her La Belle&the Beast sim story she's working on.

You pretty much did for me if she has notifications on. :p

But hopefully others chime in too. Even they tried and failed.

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @LegacySims2017: some lights have a more narrow and concentrated range. I'm currently installing the game on a new computer and can't help you first-hand, but it's worth experimenting a little.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @LegacySims2017: some lights have a more narrow and concentrated range. I'm currently installing the game on a new computer and can't help you first-hand, but it's worth experimenting a little.

I've been peeking at the ceiling lights I have. Without experimenting yet, the subtle saucer light looks like it would make a good spotlight. But it might also be too bright. That's why I am trying to get ideas from others as well whom may have attempted this. I don't think I'll need the scene/video until Generation 3. Tiny spoiler there if you want to try and figure it out. But I want it to be special for readers following my legacy.
    (uh oh, more spoiling)

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    You could try dimming it. I miss the uber-gradual dimming you can do on TS3 lights (since it's all number-based and you could do infinitely smaller decimals of brightness, more or less. And I could do it in Build/Buy :cry:)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Kids are growing up so fast. Zoe finally joined Andrew in full adulting. Young adulting for them is over. But Bucky now gets to go do young adulting stuff. The twins, Christian and Chloe, are now teeniboppers.
    Generation_2-2.png

InfraGreen wrote: »
    You could try dimming it. I miss the uber-gradual dimming you can do on TS3 lights (since it's all number-based and you could do infinitely smaller decimals of brightness, more or less. And I could do it in Build/Buy :cry:)

I'll keep that in mind, thanks! I never played with light dimming in TS3. Never even really thought about it at all on any version to be honest... lol.
  • Options
    PrincessSimcessPrincessSimcess Posts: 917 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

You pretty much did for me if she has notifications on. :p

But hopefully others chime in too. Even they tried and failed.

Notifications rock! I know the struggle - my suggestion is get rid of the windows (as you said), or cover them up with paintings (size them up to match windows!) or curtains/plants/whatever. Then, only have one light where you want the spotlight to show. As someone mentioned above, some lights are more concentrated than others. I'd suggest maybe the mason jar light from parenthood, or the single pendant light (that looks like a cylinder - does that make sense? :/ )
    If you want a more creepy look, light from the bottom up. Outdoor lights work well for that! Also, adjust brightness if you have to - I always forget to do that! :)
    I hope that helped!!
    Lift up your head, princess. If not, the crown falls.
    35532344976_d8721ca725_z_d.jpg

• Options
    Notifications rock! I know the struggle - my suggestion is get rid of the windows (as you said), or cover them up with paintings (size them up to match windows!) or curtains/plants/whatever. Then, only have one light where you want the spotlight to show. As someone mentioned above, some lights are more concentrated than others. I'd suggest maybe the mason jar light from parenthood, or the single pendant light (that looks like a cylinder - does that make sense? :/ )
    If you want a more creepy look, light from the bottom up. Outdoor lights work well for that! Also, adjust brightness if you have to - I always forget to do that! :)
    I hope that helped!!

I don't have Parenthood installed yet. Not until Generation 9 (I'm trying something different for my game. Each new generation, I'll install another EP or GP - along with a SP or two.). I don't want creepy for this. If you allow me to spoil it for you, we can talk in private so you know what I am going to do. :)
  • Options
    new chapter
    170712-mKcbfFbusFGX.jpg
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @LegacySims2017 If you don't already have it installed, I would recommend using the no glow/no blue mods from LumiaLoverSims (I'm on mobile now otherwise I would post a link). These will make unlit areas appear darker and lights brighter, which should help make your spotlight a bit more dramatic.
  • Options
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    @LegacySims2017 If you don't already have it installed, I would recommend using the no glow/no blue mods from LumiaLoverSims (I'm on mobile now otherwise I would post a link). These will make unlit areas appear darker and lights brighter, which should help make your spotlight a bit more dramatic.

I'll look it up. I use a lot of his stuff (skintones and hair mostly) already. :)

• Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited July 2017
    Acarb90 wrote: »
    Simlit crisis:

Anyone else find themselves using the same poses all the time? Do people pick up on that or does it not matter?

I didn't realize it until this chapter I'm writing, but there needs to be more fighting poses lol
    @Acarb90 I don't think the readers will mind, especially with the more "mundane" poses like sitting poses etc. I use the same poses a lot. Also I totally agree that there needs to be more good fighting poses. At one point I just gave up on looking for them and have either used the few I have found or made my own (for TS3). But even with fights, it's definitely plausible that a person uses the same move many times. Many fighters often do have a few techniques which they have practised a lot and prefer using. If it works, it works. Of course one needs to be adaptable too. But my point is, I think it's okay to use the same pose many times as long as it works for the story. :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    There is also a lot you can do with angle and lightning, so that the same poses can have very different effects in different situations. I think it's less about the tools used and more about the way they are used to convey the message you want to send.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top