Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 is not unfinished at all

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2017
    > @JoAnne65 said:
    > SimCrazed25 wrote: »
    >
    > > @JoAnne65 said:
    > > They've added for almost $350 of stuff to the game so yeah, I should hope it's starting to feel complete by now. We're almost three years in, potential days are really over by now.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That is unreasonable . Would you say that Sims 3 would have been complete without Pets, University or Seasons? How about Sims 3 without a dedicated vacations game pack? Or Sims 3 without Generations? What makes a game complete has nothing to do with the number of years it has been in development and by the way 3 years is a relatively short amount of time.
    >
    > To answer the question , no. Sims 3 wouldnt have felt completed with all of the stuff that has yet to come to sims 4 . This game is still in development and there is plenty more to come in the future.
    >
    >
    >
    > No, did I say that ;)? This topic is about Sims 4 is it not? I don't think a game necessarily feels complete just because you can make a checklist of things in there by the way, I think the player decides if a game feels complete. Like, I never missed weather in 3 before Seasons was released, because I didn't know what that was like in the game. Players who were familiar with Sims 2 did miss it. But indeed, the predecessors needed additions as well. I've never been at a point with Sims 3 though where I was craving new stuff and stopped playing to wait for a new expansion.

Sound likes that is what you are suggesting? That we should be fine with those things not being in the sims 4...possibly ever. Because you said that our game is likely going to be "over" soon. Why is that? Do you have some information about the game that the rest of us arent aware of? Whether or not the game "feels" complete is irrelevant. It isn't complete because it is still in DEVELOPMENT and it is missing the core elements such as expansions that have been in the past few sims games. Sure, the game has enough stuff to keep us players entertained for a while up to this point. But there is still more to be done. That has never not been the case. Some on the forums talk as if Sims 4 is the only game where people ever asked for expansions or content and its not.

The reason why that is important is because we want all of the stuff we had with previous sims games.Theres nothing wrong with that and it doesnt mean we arent enjoying our games. I play Sims 4 more than I ever messed with Sims 3 . But I still want more content to complete my collection and fill in gaps in my sims lives. What might not be essential for your gameplay is essential for someone elses.

Coming back around to the point of the thread, where is the proof that the sims 4 will not getting a lot more content in the future?
    No, sorry if it came across that way, that was not what I was implying. A game can feel 'complete' and still use additions for those who like it. Where did I say 'your' game - it's my game too, I have a copy and a few packs - is going to be over soon' by the way? I didn't interprete the essence of this thread as 'no more content is needed', rather as 'the game is richer than people give it credit for' (it's up to the OP to correct me if I'm wrong there). In fact I have a feeling they are planning to keep Sims 4 rolling much longer than its predecessors. The fact that I regret that and long for a successor is irrelevant in this context. On the other hand, to be quite honest with you, I have a feeling they are done with The Sims, I don't think this franchise will ever see a Sims 5. So in that respect, if that's true, I hope they will continue adding stuff for the game as long as its fans want it. My hopes are placed in a different game with a similar starting point as the Sims franchise. The way Cities Skyline picked up the SimCity idea. That's a personal thing though and not related to the subject of this topic.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    > @John4est said:
    > I think it is so ironic the same people who play the game and post in the forums are the same people complaining about it. I'd like to remind ALL OF YOU that playing this game is 100% a choice. It is not forced upon. If you don't like it, then don't play it, and def. don't attribute to the community by blasting the forums. I personally LOVE The Sims 4. I think it is acceptable to complain about glitches, but to complain about the content is just a cry for attention.
    >
    > You are more than welcome to continue playing TS3, TS2 or just The Sims. If Sims 4 isn't your thing, then please spare us your petty complaints and move on. It's a lost cause.

Thank you. Let's put it this way, Sims 2 and Sims 3 are still available for anyone who wants them. Of course, anybody can criticise anything they wish. But what is there to get out of criticizing and making the same points over and over on different posts? Simmer or not, time is better spent doing things that we do enjoy. I wonder how much some of these players actually play Sims 2 or Sims 3 anymore???

Because theres a tendency for some to claim a previous version is so wonderful, but you can tell they spend more time bashing sims 4 than PLAYING the games that they DO enjoy . Which is what I dont understand. Its just a game, if you dont like it, for whatever reason you dont have to play it. I would never spend an excess amount of time discussing a game I hate . Much less spend $$$ on it RATHER than spend my time playing a game I do like.Especially if Im going to claim that its so much better than the current version. I would play that game to my hearts content .
    You are completely changing the subject of this topic for some reason. The OP states that Sims 4 has a lot more content than people give it credit for and others are giving their opinion about that. I wasn't complaining. Which doesn't mean I'm not allowed to by the way, I paid 160 bucks for this game, I'm as entitled to complain about Sims 4 as the next person. The fact I indeed only play the 2009 version right now is a sad thing really. Not a solution of the problem Sims 4 apparently is for many. You'll have to live with that (or stay out of Feedback if you can't).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited July 2017
    No matter how many things EA adds to the game, it will probably never feel "complete" to those who have had Problems adapting their playstyle to TS4 in the past years.

I see TS4 rather as a Story-telling tool and less as a game anyway. If they changed the foundation, reworked emotions, added complex interpersonal gameplay then there might be a chance that the General reception of the game would Change eventually. With Parenthood they proved that meaningful enhancements in gameplay are possible.

Edit: Whoops, I didn't see your replies, Joanne. I am with you on this.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    No one has to play sims 4 if they dont like it. I enjoy this game a lot . Thats why I spend my money on it. It love the objects and the gameplay. MidnightAura, if you do not like this game, then the best thing to do is to play previous versions, because as you said they are so much better than this one. So why waste your money? You said that nothing will improve your enjoyment of Sims 4, so I would just stop buying the games altogether and move on. That way the Sims 4 forum can be for people who DO believe this game can have a bright future and not entirely negative posts about how this game can not be "improved" or "fixed". Even though I dont think this game needs fixing.

Pertaining to the opening post, the game is unfinished. Not just because it's missing various content that prior editions had, but also because the sims themselves are in an unfinished state. As others have stated, there is a lack of meaningful play with the sims. The lack of actual memories ( which was a selling point that Rachel made when introducing sims 4) These "emotions" don't stick like advertised. They do little aside from make a sim stomp around, slam a fridge or go hide under the blankets. The whims are a sad and useless replacement of actual wants and fears that affect a sims life on a deeper level. There is no real connection between sims due to a lack of an actual attraction system or a common interest system. Not a single sim is different than another because these mechanics are missing from Sims 4.

In Sim1/2 each sim had a separate panel that listed their interests. No, you didn't get to pick them ( politics, music, sports, movies, etc) but they did affect how the sims interacted and played a part in the development of relationships in those games.

I was one of the biggest champions for Sims 4 when it came out because I absolutely love the style and look of this game and the animations and liveliness of the sims themselves. And when they said they were going back to their roots I was thrilled to death thinking that we would have the sims 2 sims back in a much more beautiful game environment. But here we are, 3 years later, and while we are seeing some improvement on the depth of the sims, there is still a long way to go to fix the state of this so-called emotion system and make it actually meaningful.

The point here is that it's important that the devs are aware of what is unfinished and to let them know our hopes, wants, and wishes ( and fears) about the direction of sims 4. The depth of vampires, and the depth of the parent system ( even though I haven't played that aspect of the game yet) is something to cheer about. But there needs to be depth for the other life stages as much as there is for the toddlers.

While new content is great, I hope they are working on the behind the scenes mechanics and we will see much deeper sim connections. Go back to the roots of what made sims 1 and 2 so special....and that was what it was.

• Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't know if they're going to milk 4 for a while longer or just release things here and there while they work on Sims 5. If they follow the pattern of the last 17 years, then at 5 years, we'd expect Sims 5 in late 2019... (I do agree Sims 5 would be perfectly perfect to be released on the 20th anniversary, considering I doubt they would call it "The Sims 5" I think they would just call it "Sims" or something. That I do like in your post! :)

But I'm just wondering what the plan really is. The "20th" release idea gives Sims 4 2.5 years left, and we know that they're gonna leave several months between series... so at most, Sims 4 has 2 years left.

That is, if they follow that pattern. With only 1 SP coming out in Q3, it makes me wonder is there a free massive update coming to the game, or are they sloiwing down releases and focusing on a better Sims 4 (ala Sims 5) concept?

I suppose time will tell, but Sims 2 and Sims 3 were essentially the same "core" graphic style and such. I believe Sims 5 will build upon what's been laid down in Sims 4, just tweaked and improved.

I think the downside to 4 always has been the concept was epic, but so unjustly finished. It's very clear this game was the remnants of an online MMO style Sims game, that's why nothing is custom, all worlds are uniform to everything *not* on a lot, so that when you visited a friends game, everything but the lot was the same. (The background).

Either way, I just hope Sims 5 is another level of 4. Open "sub-hoods" would be nice. A neighborhood of 4 to 5 houses should all load like Sims 3 did, where you can hear them blasting the stereo, or see them in their backyards playing with objects from various stuff packs! :D

Do we really think that they will take Sims 4 to another level this late in the series? I can't believe it's been almost 3 years already since this game came out! :o Why release toddlers tho if they weren't going to spend more time on the Sims 4?

I do want to clarify my post, I'm content with them taking Sims 4 another few years and adding to it... I don't think Sims 5 "
    has" to be released 2020 but at this rate of releases doesn't leave a lot of room for Sims 4... we're on year 3 and EP 3 :#
  • Options
    starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    No one has to play sims 4 if they dont like it. I enjoy this game a lot . Thats why I spend my money on it. It love the objects and the gameplay. MidnightAura, if you do not like this game, then the best thing to do is to play previous versions, because as you said they are so much better than this one. So why waste your money? You said that nothing will improve your enjoyment of Sims 4, so I would just stop buying the games altogether and move on. That way the Sims 4 forum can be for people who DO believe this game can have a bright future and not entirely negative posts about how this game can not be "improved" or "fixed". Even though I dont think this game needs fixing.

Pertaining to the opening post, the game is unfinished. Not just because it's missing various content that prior editions had, but also because the sims themselves are in an unfinished state. As others have stated, there is a lack of meaningful play with the sims.

This is exactly how I feel about the Sims 3. Every sim was the same emotionless robot with barely any discernable difference. My Sims in Sims 2 before it and Sims 4 after show vastly more differentiation than my Sims 3 Sims ever did. Sims 3 was a beautiful complicated dollhouse but the dolls were always really lacking and to me the Sims are the most important part of making these games fun. It always felt like this was because that beautiful dollhouse ate all the development resources - it's one of the reasons I really don't want TS4 wander down some of the costly rabbit holes TS3 did (I get that some people thought those were awesome, but for me they vacuumed up resources that I'd rather have seen invested in Sims).

OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • Options
    SimCrazed25SimCrazed25 Posts: 28 New Member
    Starcrunch, I agree with you. Sims in sims 3 were robotic and weird personally. In no way shape or form are sims in 4 worse than in that game lol. Sure, our sims could use improvements on their personalities, but I think we are highways above sims 3 . I think there will definitely be some meaningful changes made to our sims in the future. I trust the developers to come through for us .
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Ok then. I don't agree.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Do we really need to make a long laundry list of all the things sims3 had compared to this?
  • Options
    LyricalSimsLyricalSims Posts: 8 New Member
    I just really want sims to feel like a living breathing world again :( Oh I love how many sims can be at a place at a time. Oh I love the feel Sims 4. But sims 3 the world felt so alive. No backdrops for the sake of it. You see it you go there. Sims 4 I feel extremely limited on where to go. I don't feel like the world is changing around me which was one of my true loves for the game.
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I feel that if we carry on comparing and wishing this game would be the same as The Sims 3, it just becomes a duplicate of a previous game. This game has been so unique from the start and I didn't see anything big stolen from old games. I don't want any expansion packs that were popular in previous games, although I love the thought of Pets coming in.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    I feel that if we carry on comparing and wishing this game would be the same as The Sims 3, it just becomes a duplicate of a previous game. This game has been so unique from the start and I didn't see anything big stolen from old games. I don't want any expansion packs that were popular in previous games, although I love the thought of Pets coming in.

And others love the thought of Seasons, University or Supernaturals. At this Point I wouldn't mind a Sims 3 2.0 if it means that EA takes the best parts from Sims 2, Sims 3 and Sims 4.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options

Besides clubs and the lame open careers I don't see any new content. Vampires, toddlers, festivals, restaurants. They have been recycled ideas. Which I have no issue with, but it's not a unique game. All sims game gave the same features a new spin. The only different is that the sims 4 is lacking features that by now other games had
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I could see Magic being in a GP -- something like an updated version of Makin' Magic where any Sim could learn and do magic, not just limiting it to a particular "race" called Witches.

University might be complex enough to require an EP though, when you consider all that needs to be included and coordinated with base game content (particularly base game careers). And let's not forget that many of those lots that you list in "what we already have" are only available if you have extra DLC installed -- players that don't have Get Together aren't going to have cafes, for example, and bowling is also a stand-alone SP. So they'll have to think of a different approach to Sims 4 University than Sims 3 at the very least. Maybe instead of University they'll have some sort of Education pack that can be adapted for use for continuing education for more age stages -- if they take the "semi-active" careers from City Living and expand them to allow a sort of online/commuter study, that could allow Sims to remain in their homes instead of traveling to some sort of "university" world. Or an older Sim could take his/her entire family off to University and rent a house since the spouse and children can travel to their "off-screen" jobs and schools from anywhere.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    starcrunch wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »

Pertaining to the opening post, the game is unfinished. Not just because it's missing various content that prior editions had, but also because the sims themselves are in an unfinished state. As others have stated, there is a lack of meaningful play with the sims.

This is exactly how I feel about the Sims 3. Every sim was the same emotionless robot with barely any discernable difference. My Sims in Sims 2 before it and Sims 4 after show vastly more differentiation than my Sims 3 Sims ever did. Sims 3 was a beautiful complicated dollhouse but the dolls were always really lacking and to me the Sims are the most important part of making these games fun. It always felt like this was because that beautiful dollhouse ate all the development resources - it's one of the reasons I really don't want TS4 wander down some of the costly rabbit holes TS3 did (I get that some people thought those were awesome, but for me they vacuumed up resources that I'd rather have seen invested in Sims).
    Though the personality system in Sims 3 is different than in 1 and 2 (traits based, just like in Sims 4), it does give them some sort of a personality, though far from perfect indeed. The reason traits in Sims 3 do provide different sims (and absolutely with emotions by the way) and not in Sims 4, is the emotion system of the latter. When I opened the TS4 demo for the first time I was hopeful, because it seemed to me they had created a system that would make traits matter more than they do in TS3. The only reason that is not the case, is because emotions overrule everything in the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    It always strikes me when people say this, when in fact where it comes to personalities the game is much more often compared to Sims 2. Is that allowed?

(grammar edit)
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

The trick for the developers is to keep the game feeling fresh with new content, while contiuning to add a new twist on old favorites. We've actually gotten a lot of both already. For example, instead of the same old "nightlife" type play there's more focus on the full experience of City Living, including apartments that are less than plush (try adding the Filthy lot trait to an apartment that's already Needs TLC for an added touch of realism!) instead of the usual vampires hanging around, and instead we got maybe the best vampires ever in the Sims series just by giving them their own pack (and those who don't want to deal with vampires can still enjoy the other features of the city pack). We've got a way to form affinity groups that can meet up and engage in activities -- I use the GT clubs for my extended families a lot; right now I have a club for my brother/sister and their spouses, then a separate one for the kids. If I want to send the parents out for a night of dancing or the kids all out bowling, I send one of the club members to the desired venue and then call a club gathering. That's something we didn't have in any other iteration of the Sims.

While we've gotten a lot of new content, there are still some "old favorites" that long-time Simmers would like to see back to round out their games, as well as those who are new to the series and would like to play Sims 4 versions of packs like Pets, Seasons, etc. that they've seen on Sims 2 and 3 YouTube playthroughs.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    WoolenhatWoolenhat Posts: 255 Member
    I think it is complete, and don't want sims 5!
    What can they add in sims 5 to make it better than the sims 4? Better graphics? I like the art style they use!
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    Depends on your definition of "unfinished", the game is not lackluster anymore, it is very entertaining and it did in fact give new gameplay such as the more intuitive CAS and build mode, open careers and club functions, they aded several basics back for free such as ghosts and pools and the sims in thesims4 have a much better A.I than the ones in thesims3.

That said, the game is not "completed" yet, there is still the need for new Expansion Packs such as Seasons,Pets and University. New inovative content and normal telescopes. People keep saying thesims4 just recycled content from thesims3..i am sory, but thesims3 was just a massive rehash of both thesims2 and thesims1, and worst is that most of the interesting objects were trown into the expensive pack stores, now at least they come with the stuff packs, wich did not have gameplay before, and the gamepacks have more gameplay than anything from ts3 store.

jr73Y.gif

• Options
    Woolenhat wrote: »
    I think it is complete, and don't want sims 5!
    What can they add in sims 5 to make it better than the sims 4? Better graphics? I like the art style they use!

Pets, no culling, open world, color wheel, university, NPCs, transportation, functional family tree, less bugs, seasons, regular sized objects, underwear category, more CAs items for kids and toddlers, non object babies, independent careers, normal careers, more traits, more aspirations, more animations that are actually different and not only by name, ability to cuddle, smart sims, sims that won't reset every time you enter the household, tweens, more worlds, more lots, option to pick lot sizes, world editing. I realize I mentioned only a couple of things that are stuff we get from EPs, but I mostly mean that we don't have to wait several months even a year to actually expand the game
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    It always strikes when people say this, when in fact where it comes to personalities the game is much more often compared to Sims 2. Is that allowed?

I think that's allowed to say that now.
    But I think TS4 sort of evolved to be more like TS2 over the years, I don't think that was the goal initially. I felt that TS2 was really planned out, it had a direction, and the creators were obviously very very passionate making it. Not to say the creators now are not, I just get a sense that this team is just exhausted with this game and perhaps have fewer resources (people, money) than TS2 had?

As for me with TS4 now, though I find causal enjoyment in it with the latest GP and toddlers, I feel like the overall gameplay is all over the place. The setup of TS4 was not planned out well IMO, but now I think they're trying to patch it up and make it more like TS2.
    (Didn't mean to make this a 2 vs 4 post. My bad.)
  • Options
    meeoun wrote: »
    It always strikes when people say this, when in fact where it comes to personalities the game is much more often compared to Sims 2. Is that allowed?

But I think TS4 sort of evolved to be more like TS2 over the years, I don't think that was the goal initially. I felt that TS2 was really planned out, it had a direction, and the creators were obviously very very passionate making it. Not to say the creators now are not, I just get a sense that this team is just exhausted with this game and perhaps have fewer resources (people, money) than TS2 had?

As for me with TS4 now, though I find causal enjoyment in it with the latest GP and toddlers, I feel like the overall gameplay is all over the place. The setup of TS4 was not planned out well IMO, but now I think they're trying to patch it up and make it more like TS2.

That's insulting to the sims 2 :/ if anything ts4 is like a sims 1.5
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

No way! The sims 4 is a poor mans sims 2. Hang your head in shame Joanne! :D

I'm joking. :p
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited July 2017
    meeoun wrote: »

Perhaps it wasn't planned at all, sorry if this comes out as conspiracy theory but if you look at Thesims4 UI it looks a lot like the last SimCity UI wich became an online multiplayer game (And failed miserably, being ran over by city skylines, effectvely killing SC franchise), it is possible that they were trying to go for a multiplayer game , wich would be a reason behind only adults and childrem lifestages and lots you cannot change place because it would be an online town, in fact you can see that EA will launch a new Thesims Mobile that looks a lot like Thesims4, perhaps it was all damage controll in the end but at least they managed to not sink it completely, honestly, from where we were in thesims3 this sounds like an improovement, maybe with Thesims5 we can get a full power game, but i would not hold my breath.
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    v12creator wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of "unfinished", the game is not lackluster anymore, it is very entertaining and it did in fact give new gameplay such as the more intuitive CAS and build mode, open careers and club functions, they aded several basics back for free such as ghosts and pools and the sims in thesims4 have a much better A.I than the ones in thesims3.

That said, the game is not "completed" yet, there is still the need for new Expansion Packs such as Seasons,Pets and University. New inovative content and normal telescopes. People keep saying thesims4 just recycled content from thesims3..i am sory, but thesims3 was just a massive rehash of both thesims2 and thesims1, and worst is that most of the interesting objects were trown into the expensive pack stores, now at least they come with the stuff packs, wich did not have gameplay before, and the gamepacks have more gameplay than anything from ts3 store.

I disagree the sims 3 had some favourites brought back of course but it's still the only game to offer an open world, activities like tomb raiding, surfing, wind sailing and snorkelling, mermaids, actual interesting open careers, tattoos, the smart phone and elders, teens, toddlers and children had game play objects and items for them which to this day we have still not seen in the sims 4 and are probably not going too.