Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you REALLY like the new pack?

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    This GP make me stay a long time on TS4. Normally I stayed 30 mintues but now I can stay 2 hours and several times a day.
    Yeah, same for me but only once a day for a couple of hours. :)

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    sarahb5500 wrote: »
    > @alan650111 said:

> What are these "family gossip phone calls" you speak of? I haven't experienced them yet!

My sim's sisters will call him "to chat" and after he gets a playful moodlet saying juicy gossip then he gets a message saying which family member they called to gossip about. It's been grandparents, other siblings, aunts. They really have the family more connected from this pack. I love it!

As messed up as it sounds I'm excited to see what happens when the grandparents died. I really really hope they have negative moodlets and react to losing a family member they care about

I must of had a brain fart because this did happen to me once! It was funny because the gossip was about a toddler which is funny. For the life of me I can't remember what the actual gossip was.
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    No, the reason is I sat and watched it play for a couple of hours with several games and different situations. It is suppose to be about parenting, but what I see is sims standing around doing nothing or being over social. Not parenting, like do your homework, stop playing loud music, stop cussing, no one cooks (with the exception of teens), and etc. There should be some sort of free will parenting besides random silly pop-ups. It relies too much on the player to micro manage the parents, because only once was there any punishment and that was the toddler, who was over tired and stinky and decided to throw her bowl in the floor. Same old happy happy sims unaware of most of their surroundings without micro managing every second by the player.

After this all I can ask is why I fall for this garbage every time, no ones fault but my own because by now I should know better.
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    gamekitten wrote: »
    No, the reason is I sat and watched it play for a couple of hours with several games and different situations. It is suppose to be about parenting, but what I see is sims standing around doing nothing or being over social. Not parenting, like do your homework, stop playing loud music, stop cussing, no one cooks (with the exception of teens), and etc. There should be some sort of free will parenting besides random silly pop-ups. It relies too much on the player to micro manage the parents, because only once was there any punishment and that was the toddler, who was over tired and stinky and decided to throw her bowl in the floor. Same old happy happy sims unaware of most of their surroundings without micro managing every second by the player.

After this all I can ask is why I fall for this garbage every time, no ones fault but my own because by now I should know better.

Except did you have your sims parenting a bit first, before you expect them to do so autonomously? If you increase your parent sims parenting trait, and have them parent several times, after a while, they will perform some parenting without prompting. Just like with any activity.
  • Options
    liliaeth wrote: »

Except did you have your sims parenting a bit first, before you expect them to do so autonomously? If you increase your parent sims parenting trait, and have them parent several times, after a while, they will perform some parenting without prompting. Just like with any activity.

They had parenting level 2 from what I saw( social and dollhouse). The issue I have is all they wanted to was social and play with kids. Micro-managing them to get them to be parents is a lack luster solution for me. As a mother of grown children, I can honestly say I did not play and social my children to death to the point they were starving, exhausted, and wet themselves. I did cook, helped with projects, homework, and other parent things with out someone prompting me.

Yes, I understand this is a game, but still social and fun (even when full trump everything). I expected some autonomous acts..some at least. The teens were closest to parenting their siblings than the parents at any given moment. The teens took care of the toddler not the parents (until I move the toddler out of the family).

I find the pack lacking and more of a clicker game to get the results of parenting. Even when the kids act out there was no disciplinary actions, the parents just went on forever smiling and gabbing.

Again, I blame myself for expecting something that is just not gonna happen in Sims 4. I guess it is just hard to except my favor game has turned to this, nothing more than a mobile app without the micro transactions in your face. I love Sims since Sims 1. It is hard and so disappointing to believe my favor game is gone.
  • Options
    laazygnomelaazygnome Posts: 255 Member
    Generations for The Sims 3 was my favorite expansion pack because I have always loved playing with families but with that being said I'm also really loving Parenthood probably the exact same because it adds depth to your sims. I feel like the choices you make in the game now matter more than ever considering it can really influence your sims lives and shape who they are as a person. You can have so many different types of parents now, relaxed/easygoing, fun, nurturing, strict etc. the list goes on honestly. The sims in The Sims 4 have more personality than they've ever had imo. I love The Sims 3 and everything but the sims were pretty dull personality-wise no matter what kinda traits I gave to them.
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member

They had parenting level 2 from what I saw( social and dollhouse). The issue I have is all they wanted to was social and play with kids. Micro-managing them to get them to be parents is a lack luster solution for me. As a mother of grown children, I can honestly say I did not play and social my children to death to the point they were starving, exhausted, and wet themselves. I did cook, helped with projects, homework, and other parent things with out someone prompting me.

Yes, I understand this is a game, but still social and fun (even when full trump everything). I expected some autonomous acts..some at least. The teens were closest to parenting their siblings than the parents at any given moment. The teens took care of the toddler not the parents (until I move the toddler out of the family).

I find the pack lacking and more of a clicker game to get the results of parenting. Even when the kids act out there was no disciplinary actions, the parents just went on forever smiling and gabbing.

Again, I blame myself for expecting something that is just not gonna happen in Sims 4. I guess it is just hard to except my favor game has turned to this, nothing more than a mobile app without the micro transactions in your face. I love Sims since Sims 1. It is hard and so disappointing to believe my favor game is gone.

Except what you want the game to do automatically, would ruin gameplay, and probably storytelling for a lot of other players. Which is why it was instituted the way it is.

there are a lot of players who do NOT want every sim to be a perfect parent. They want to have the choice whether or not their sim actively parents his or her kids or not. Some people want to actively raise deviant sims, with bad manners, no responsibility and so on. A lot of people want to have a choice in regards to how their kids turn out, and to do so, they might not want their sims to automatically correct their kids, because then they'd have to pay constant attention, and cross out every action that doesn't fit their gameplay.

And since parenting is a ten level skill, when your sims are at level 2, they're basically clueless about how to raise their kids.
  • Options
    ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    I saw some people saying the pack doesn't influence your sim, well I disagree, my first baby after the pack is now an young adult with the responsible and empathy trait, now when something is broken, he repairs it as soon as he gets home, also when he goes to work, he is always working hard and sometimes an event occur based on his trait. I'm really happy for this pack, I think it's something that every family/legacy player wanted... now we just need some objects for the kids like more playgrounds, bunkbeds and more hairs for toddlers.
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member

The fun starts at level 5 actually. That's when I've noticed my sim parents react on their own when their kids misbehave. Also, to really see any of the younger sims act autonomously, the character value bar needs to get a certain level. Like my teen sim with a high manners bar, will autonomously clean and tidy the house on his own while his sister with more empathy, is constantly hugging anyone in the household with a sad moodlet. The child with responsibility firmly in the red will always make a mess and never cleans up after herself once left to her own devices.
    One thing I like about the pack is the fact that the whole system doesn't try to force you to be a good parent. I love that most times it's up to M to decide whether to take action or just let things slide.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

This is my experience. I have several families and parents with different skill levels. I have a level 10 parenting skill sim and none of them react or acknowledge their children's bad behaviour. The only thing they do autonomously is tell a toddler off who throws their bowl away in a high chair. I can accept the game is giving the player the chance to punish and decide what's appropriate for the situation but I can't accept say a child making a mess right in too of their parents feet and the parent just standing there staring into space and then walking away.

What I do notice is though parents want to check on toddlers all the darn time. And play with their doll house all the darn time. I had a toddler who started making a mess by herself. I let her to see what the parents would do. Eventually one of them got up from the pc to run the check toddler interaction? No look of surprise on the sims face to say what the heck are you doing. Nothing.

I want the sims to react to what's going on around them. Like for example in the sims 2 if a sim farted, other sims nearby would react with laughter or disgust depending on their personality. Why oh why can't the sims 4 sims react? I don't mean punish. Just show that they notice that little Jimmy is playing in the toilet. Don't just stand there staring at the wall smiling to yourself.

As a story teller I find it difficult to work with. I don't feel the sims have more personality because my "good" and "bad parents" all act the same way and I'm really disappointed that school and grades still don't register with the parent as being important. I wanted to see parents care how their kids do in school but they don't. I can pretend that my super strict sim cares about little Jimmy and Janet's school performance and I can pretend he is the type of sim who is on his kids backs all the time but in reality he behaves the same way the parent next door does. They don't care unless I tell them to care. That doesn't enhance my game play experience, that breaks my game play experience.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    I just think people want these packs to be good, and thus they decide in their heads that the packs are flawless before they've even played them or seen them played (extensively, not via a 1 hour carefully played livestream from the devs that want your money). Problem with that is some people walk away disappointed when they buy it and reality sinks in. Some are still happy and good for them, but the method of deciding how to make a purchase (aka jump on the hype train and never look back) is still very much flawed.
    Yeah, but to play devil's advocate... what's the alternative? Don't get excited about things? Because that's what I did when I was a kid. True story, I distinctly remember this moment in my life when I was really young where I got really excited about something and it didn't live up to my expectations, so after that, I decided I wouldn't let myself get hyped up anymore. It ended up dulling a lot of moments that I could have enjoyed more.

The thing about getting excited about something is, yes, sometimes you'll be disappointed. That's the tradeoff of getting excited in the first place. Sometimes you just enjoy the excitement and it works out. Sometimes you enjoy the excitement and then you have to deal with disappointment. If you force yourself to detach and not get excited, all you get is "just ok" and don't feel much of anything. I did that for years.

I still don't get very hyped up about things, but I allow myself to ride the wave a bit more than I used to. I just don't make it a habit of making decisions based on excitement alone. You can be excited without letting it rule your decision-making. But some of that just comes with age, too. At a certain point, your brain finishes developing risk management and such, and you're much more likely to weigh decisions without compulsion ruling your behavior.

That said, any time you try a product, you're rolling the dice on whether you'll enjoy it, excitement or no. That's what refunds and free trials are for. Way back when I saw some review of Dragon Age: Inquisition, I thought it seemed like some really cool moral-decision RPG that I'd get a lot out of, so years later, when I saw it on some good sale and had a PC that could run it, I tried getting it. Turned out the combat was nothing at all like I'd imagined and the graphics looked dated. I ended up just uninstalling it and asking for a refund.

I think you're being a little quick to jump on the "I told you so" train. It's a bit like the hype train, but with less passengers. Every release is going to have some dissatisfied customers. That's just statistics. Hype can screw up peoples' expectations, but people can screw up peoples' expectations too. I'm just not sure there's actually a lesson here, other than that people are people and they are going to do things they regret sometimes, or be disappointed. The way you talk, it's almost like you wanted people to voice their disappointment, so that you could drag out a speech about hype trains.

Every train needs a station, so consider this post a station for the "I told you so" train. :tongue:

I'm sorry but I have a really difficult time believing you NEED the hype to enjoy this. If you NEED the hype to enjoy something, perhaps that's the problem. The game and the experience itself should suffice; if that excitement is part of the experience for you, then I doubt the gameplay is all that great.

Vampires? It sounded exactly like a suggestion I myself personally posted on these very forums. The moment they mentioned powers, I was looking forward to the pack. However, I wasn't so excited that I abandoned any possibility that the powers might be awful. Implementation matters a lot; the best system in the world could have the worst implementation, and when that happens, it doesn't matter how good the system is in theory. I looked forward to new info, but I kept my expectations reasonable and didn't get hyped. If I remember correct, I even waited two days before purchasing (my fastest purchase for this game) because I wanted to get more info from places like Carl's Sims 4 guide and Andrew Arcade did a really in-depth video. None of this diminished my enjoyment of the pack. I enjoy vampires because I enjoy vampires, not because it was hyped pre-release and I partook.

My favorite game of all time? I somehow missed ALL the preview info. I had no idea it was coming out until my roommate told me about it one day before it released. It's still my favorite game of all time and I doubt anything beats it anytime soon.

Much of what you've written just stands in blatant denial of the reality of the situation too. These days you can absolutely educate yourself about a purchase before you buy it. I've been accurately predicting how much I would or wouldn't enjoy games since 2011; I can remember that distinctly because that was the year the most overhyped game in existence released and that's what got me to start being critical of hype trains. :# I saw cracks in the wall, few others did, and only now years later do people have mixed opinions of that game in retrospect. I think you're making excuses here, quite frankly. The tools are there, you need only use them.

And your last bit just sounds like you don't want to admit I may have a point. The last snippet just sounds entirely like you're trying to downplay the fact that pre-release, I was calling out people for pre-ordering, for recommending this pack (that they hadn't played or seen) to new users and for thanking the dev team for another amazing pack (that they hadn't played or seen), warning them that something like this could happen. Fast forward and there seems to be a decent percent that are disappointed.

And quite frankly...? Even if 99.99% of customers were happy with this pack, this would not change the value of what I'm saying. Remember your math classes? Showing your work was half the grade; the teacher not only wanted to see that you got the right answer, but that your methods of getting to that answer were also devoid of any flaws. Same thing here: the choice to purchase this pack could be 100% sound, but the path of how people came to that decision could be entirely flawed. This community hyped itself to the point of wanting to preorder digital property, recommending it to others before even trying it and praising the dev team after seeing a one minute trailer. With those methods...? People were going to buy the pack even if it had a 99.99% disapproval rate instead. The end result is irrelevant, what matters is that if these methods of hyping ourselves continue, yes, this community will inevitably burn itself on a bad purchase and won't learn anything from it.

But I mean this little song-and-dance isn't anything new. This is well-documented stuff since....there's a video from 2012 showing this routine and even naming EA specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-plum

EDIT: The forums apparently have a filter specifically to block out a youtube video with 2million+ views that calls out EA for relying on hype for sales. When I post it, the video's URL gets converted to "plum" despite having no curse words. I'm speechless.

Hmm... I think that there is just a difference in mindset.

I really enjoy looking forward to things that I think will be fun, because it is part of the fun. Sharing ideas and things I would like to do ingame with other players on the forum. I do this with all things I enjoy. Going to the movies with friends, I talk and send messages about it beforehand. Planning the vacation and sailing with my husband and friends, I talk and hype about that as well.

Every now and then I land with a big old thud on the floor, but for the most part I am just happy and like to share that with other people. I don't need to hype beforehand, I like sharing the fun :)

"Oh, Marilla, looking forward to things is half the pleasure of them," exclaimed Anne. "You mayn't get the things themselves; but nothing can prevent you from having the fun of looking forward to them. Mrs. Lynde says, `Blessed are they who expect nothing for they shall not be disappointed.' But I think it would be worse to expect nothing than to be disappointed."

Anne of Green Gables.
  • Options
    MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    I'm one of those people who doesn't care for S4 very much, especially because it is lacking in so many basic areas, but this game pack is seriously awesome. I'm loving the little things: packed lunches, tucking kids into bed, etc. It's just so darn cute and my entire focus has been on my family despite getting the Vampire GP at the same time (in fact, I'd have to say that pack has done nothing but get in my way so far!). I really hope they continue to focus on features and details like this for every new pack.
  • Options
    Okay you win, EA is the best game maker ever. The Sims 4 is the most awesome game ever created. Feel better?
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Okay you win, EA is the best game maker ever. The Sims 4 is the most awesome game ever created. Feel better?
    No, The Sims 4 is not the greatest game ever created. It is also not the greatest injustice created by the hand of Satan himself and the death of The Sims series. It is a good game, and like any other game it is not for everyone.
  • Options
    joseandchocolatejoseandchocolate Posts: 321 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    No, The Sims 4 is not the greatest game ever created. It is also not the greatest injustice created by the hand of Satan himself and the death of The Sims series. It is a good game, and like any other game it is not for everyone.

what?
    8d90c06c58195513b2df4fb82cf0ebb5.png
    Check out my YouTube Channel http://bit.ly/2ssq3Gk
    Follow me on Twitter http://bit.ly/2sYEob0
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

what?
    The game. The Sims 4. It is neither the greatest nor the worst thing to befall humanity. I state this as a gentle reminder, as this community is prone to dramatic overstatement, as evidenced by much of the discourse above.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2017
    Yes, Sims 4 is not the best game, it is a good game also a game with controversy. As said Sims 4 has improved and hopefully more will be added to it to make it even better.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    I made that statement because how I gave my opinion, yes negative criticism and I was told why my opinion was wrong and how I should play. If you like/love Sims 4, that is great honestly! But to underhand someones post because you do not like what it states (and their personal opinion) is just wrong. Parenthood for me is a fail, because I do not want to micro manage every aspect of my Sims life. I even blamed myself for once again for failing to just say no. And still my words were met with underhanded posts about how I was doing it wrong.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited June 2017
    I made that statement because how I gave my opinion, yes negative criticism and I was told why my opinion was wrong and how I should play. If you like/love Sims 4, that is great honestly! But to underhand someones post because you do not like what it states (and their personal opinion) is just wrong. Parenthood for me is a fail, because I do not want to micro manage every aspect of my Sims life. I even blamed myself for once again for failing to just say no. And still my words were met with underhanded posts about how I was doing it wrong.
    You can have your opinions and I find Parenthood more challenging and yes you do have to micro mange them a little more then you would if you didn't have the pack. But for example in my game if my sims child was being bad my parenting skills toward them have been to be strict and they do have discipline the child in my game was grounded 3 time and for an entire day she only had the option to do homework or read. She couldn't play with toys she couldn't watch TV and she couldn't use the computer. She has a problem with having a curfew to that I set when she was a toddler. Now saying that I can't stand playing kids now after this pack even though it adds more to your game.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    You can have your opinions and I find Parenthood more challenging and yes you do have to micro mange them a little more then you would if you didn't have the pack. But for example in my game if my sims child was being bad my parenting skills toward them have been to be strict and they do have discipline the child in my game was grounded 3 time and for an entire day she only had the option to do homework or read. She couldn't play with toys she couldn't watch TV and she couldn't use the computer. She has a problem with having a curfew to that I set when she was a toddler. Now saying that I can't stand playing kids now after this pack even though it adds more to your game.
    So this is what grounded is like in the game. :)
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    This is my experience. I have several families and parents with different skill levels. I have a level 10 parenting skill sim and none of them react or acknowledge their children's bad behaviour. The only thing they do autonomously is tell a toddler off who throws their bowl away in a high chair. I can accept the game is giving the player the chance to punish and decide what's appropriate for the situation but I can't accept say a child making a mess right in too of their parents feet and the parent just standing there staring into space and then walking away.

This is probably my only criticism with the pack. So far my parents don't acknowledge their child's bad behavior either so that leaves me to micro manage each and every punishment which I personally don't find too fun. I too would love if they at least reacted to the child's behavior. I understand some people want to be in control of this stuff but I feel there could have been a better way to go about it, allowing autonomous actions from the parents while still giving players freedom in deciding the punishment, if any.

• Options
    joseandchocolatejoseandchocolate Posts: 321 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »

This is probably my only criticism with the pack. So far my parents don't acknowledge their child's bad behavior either so that leaves me to micro manage each and every punishment which I personally don't find too fun. I too would love if they at least reacted to the child's behavior. I understand some people want to be in control of this stuff but I feel there could have been a better way to go about it, allowing autonomous actions from the parents while still giving players freedom in deciding the punishment, if any.

Well the Sims was made for you for YOU to make the decisions, right? You control their life, so shouldn't you be the one to determine if they should acknowledge their child's bad behavior? I'm pretty sure parents in real life don't see all the negatives things their children do in real life. It would just add more gameplay for you! Why complain?
    8d90c06c58195513b2df4fb82cf0ebb5.png
    Check out my YouTube Channel http://bit.ly/2ssq3Gk
    Follow me on Twitter http://bit.ly/2sYEob0
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited June 2017

What I do notice is though parents want to check on toddlers all the darn time. And play with their doll house all the darn time. I had a toddler who started making a mess by herself. I let her to see what the parents would do. Eventually one of them got up from the pc to run the check toddler interaction? No look of surprise on the sims face to say what the heck are you doing. Nothing.

I want the sims to react to what's going on around them. Like for example in the sims 2 if a sim farted, other sims nearby would react with laughter or disgust depending on their personality. Why oh why can't the sims 4 sims react? I don't mean punish. Just show that they notice that little Jimmy is playing in the toilet. Don't just stand there staring at the wall smiling to yourself.

As a story teller I find it difficult to work with. I don't feel the sims have more personality because my "good" and "bad parents" all act the same way and I'm really disappointed that school and grades still don't register with the parent as being important. I wanted to see parents care how their kids do in school but they don't. I can pretend that my super strict sim cares about little Jimmy and Janet's school performance and I can pretend he is the type of sim who is on his kids backs all the time but in reality he behaves the same way the parent next door does. They don't care unless I tell them to care. That doesn't enhance my game play experience, that breaks my game play experience.

Me, when parents see childrens make mess they saying something.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

Me, when parents see childrens make mess they saying something.

Sadly mine don't. My current household has parents level 8 and 9 respectively. When their children misbehave the command "watch" appears in the queue. But that is literally it. My sim watched her toddler throw paint everywhere and then walked away.
  • Options
    Trashmagic wrote: »

Well the Sims was made for you for YOU to make the decisions, right? You control their life, so shouldn't you be the one to determine if they should acknowledge their child's bad behavior? I'm pretty sure parents in real life don't see all the negatives things their children do in real life. It would just add more gameplay for you! Why complain?

I don't think he/she is complaining. They are providing feedback on their experience in game which is the same as mine. As I said I can accept giving the player the opportunity to dish out a punishment but I find it immersion breaking if they don't react at all. As I have said previously I find it breaks immersion personally to watch the sim stare at the wall whilst their child throws paint everywhere. I am too used to sims reacting maybe from the sims 1-3. They don't have to punish just have to acknowledge it, its a bit unrealistic otherwise. If its truly down to the player to control every aspect of their lives then why have sims react to anything? Why not just have them stand there and look at the wall if a fire breaks out for example. Sims have always reacted to certain events in game. It would be incredibly boring if the player had to decide every little reaction the sim makes to every event.

Actually that has happened in my game. My sims child went on fire and the mother kept eating her plate of chilli, smiling. Not bothered that her child was about to burn to death.

Maybe sims not reacting every time is a bug. Maybe its intentional that in my game if a child is misbehaving the parent gets a "come watch" command in the queue to go and watch and when they get there, they show no sign of recognition as to what their child is doing but will just stand there staring blankly and walk away. But people have the right to express their opinion and experience with the game, otherwise things will never improve.