Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can mood swings cause death?

So one of my teen sims got a "mortified" mood swing where she was panicking about everyone looking at her. Is this just that high level cause of negative mood points stacks (she just got off from and was stressed out majorily) or is that a permanent high mood feature? And if so, are my teen sims in danger of emotional deaths because of it?

Just wondering if I should be panicked or not or they're pretty safe in this life stage cause of how random it can be.

Comments

• Options
    DenimjoDenimjo Posts: 213 Member
    You can have your parent sims try to talk them down in addition to trying to get the teen to calm down on their own (usually at a mirror). I don't think they're at risk of dying unless they suffer a couple more really embarrassing incidents at home while the buff is still active.
    Zl8Iuk9.jpg
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    You could easily push her into an emotional death if she continues to get embarrassed. My teen sim got that one too ... Mortified +50. Relax her in a hot tub/spa and have her talk it out to get rid of the buff faster.
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    You can use the parents to make the mood swing end more easily. Or make them relax while using certain interactions. I haven't seen the mood swings yet because the children in the Sim family I'm currently playing are still Toddlers, but getting there soon! I just read these things in the reviews that have already come out. Happy Simming to you!
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    I knew how to remove it just wanted to make sure she was still at risk of death cause then I'd gotta keep high alert on all my teen sims.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I was really caught off guard when that happened to my teen last night. I've never had any sim become mortified before. I don't know how long he was that way before I discovered it but I quickly got him to a mirror to talk himself down. In the meantime I sent his mom over to talk about it but talking in the mirror was enough to help.
  • Options
    Hadron1776Hadron1776 Posts: 330 Member
    No. This last patch restricted emotional deaths to YA and older. Which, I think is a very cheap and easy way to go about it tbh.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Any emotion is fair game if enough stacking of buffs and other things. Laughing too much, angry, sad, embarrassed. You have to watch your Sims as always.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    applehartapplehart Posts: 83 Member
    I'm glad this pack is increasing the strong emotions because I almost never got them before. Now if only they'd reduce the environment happy buff, we would see more varied emotions across the board.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Hadron1776 wrote: »
    No. This last patch restricted emotional deaths to YA and older. Which, I think is a very cheap and easy way to go about it tbh.
    Where in the patch notes does it say that?

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    It doesn't. But right after I downloaded Parenthood, I pulled the tuning files out again and found this in the global test sets of all 3 emotional deaths:
        <V t="sim_info">
          <U n="sim_info">
            <V t="specified" n="ages">
              <L n="specified">
                <E>YOUNGADULT</E>
                <E>ADULT</E>
                <E>ELDER</E>
              </L>
            </V>
            <V t="specified" n="species">
              <L n="specified">
                <E />
              </L>
            </V>
            <E n="who">Actor</E>
          </U>
        </V>

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I was following this thread, hoping to see something like this. That makes so much more sense, that they'd restrict it if they were going to give teens such extremes. Thanks for looking through the code for it!
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Honestly, it would be better if they dealt with those extremes by blacklisting the mood swing buffs... that way teens could still die from emotions but having a mood swing wouldn't be a death sentence.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    It doesn't. But right after I downloaded Parenthood, I pulled the tuning files out again and found this in the global test sets of all 3 emotional deaths:
        <V t="sim_info">
          <U n="sim_info">
            <V t="specified" n="ages">
              <L n="specified">
                <E>YOUNGADULT</E>
                <E>ADULT</E>
                <E>ELDER</E>
              </L>
            </V>
            <V t="specified" n="species">
              <L n="specified">
                <E />
              </L>
            </V>
            <E n="who">Actor</E>
          </U>
        </V>

That doesn't mean anything. Why change it and not tell us makes no sense.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Honestly, it would be better if they dealt with those extremes by blacklisting the mood swing buffs... that way teens could still die from emotions but having a mood swing wouldn't be a death sentence.
    I see your point. Though I think it's better this way as a forward-compatibility approach. Doing it this way not only makes it compatible with custom content (thinking of those teen traits I made, for example) but it also means if they ever want to add more extreme moodlets to teens, for whatever reason, they don't need to go in and manually add each one, each time.

I'm also just not sure that a blacklist for a buff would work in that context. I feel like I experimented with that once, though my understanding of the code was a lot more fuzzy back then, so I might have been doing it wrong.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Triplis wrote: »
    I see your point. Though I think it's better this way as a forward-compatibility approach. Doing it this way not only makes it compatible with custom content (thinking of those teen traits I made, for example) but it also means if they ever want to add more extreme moodlets to teens, for whatever reason, they don't need to go in and manually add each one, each time.

I've noticed that all mood swing buffs have this:
      <V n="_temporary_commodity_info" t="enabled">
        <U n="enabled">
          <L n="categories">
            <E>Embarrassed_Buffs | etc</E>
            <E>TeenMoodSwing_Buffs</E>
          </L>
          <T n="max_duration">360</T>
        </U>
      </V>

So for the death types, one could just do this:
                <V t="statistic_in_category">
                  <U n="statistic_in_category">
                    <T n="check_for_existence">False</T>
                    <E n="statistic_category">TeenMoodSwing_Buffs</E>
                  </U>
                </V>

Which would avoid the problem of having to add each buffs to the blacklist test, as long as the buffs you want go to that group :)
    Also:
    I'm also just not sure that a blacklist for a buff would work in that context. I feel like I experimented with that once, though my understanding of the code was a lot more fuzzy back then, so I might have been doing it wrong.
    Like this?
        <V t="buff">
          <U n="buff">
            <L n="blacklist">
              <T>26171<!--Buff: buff_Sim_IsDying--></T>
            </L>
          </U>
        </V>

• Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Well thank you for the confirmation. Makes me 10x more relieved. I don't mind if it's the one death teens don't get because of the mood swings, cause they're still plenty of deaths one can trigger for teens.
  • Options

I've noticed that all mood swing buffs have this:
      <V n="_temporary_commodity_info" t="enabled">
        <U n="enabled">
          <L n="categories">
            <E>Embarrassed_Buffs | etc</E>
            <E>TeenMoodSwing_Buffs</E>
          </L>
          <T n="max_duration">360</T>
        </U>
      </V>

So for the death types, one could just do this:
                <V t="statistic_in_category">
                  <U n="statistic_in_category">
                    <T n="check_for_existence">False</T>
                    <E n="statistic_category">TeenMoodSwing_Buffs</E>
                  </U>
                </V>

Which would avoid the problem of having to add each buffs to the blacklist test, as long as the buffs you want go to that group :)
    Also:
    Like this?
        <V t="buff">
          <U n="buff">
            <L n="blacklist">
              <T>26171<!--Buff: buff_Sim_IsDying--></T>
            </L>
          </U>
        </V>

I dunno what it was like. I forget what I tried at the time. It was months ago.

As for the check thing... I still say that's limiting in terms of forward-compatibility. There might be reasons in the future they'd want to give teens other extreme moods that don't have anything to do with mood swings.

But perhaps more importantly, just from a design philosophy standpoint, I think it'd confuse people if mood swings only weren't included in emotional deaths, but other moods are. Because at that point, it's almost like you're saying, emotional death should only happen if the player forces it to. Which is a bit weird, considering the extemporaneous design of extreme emotions and emotional deaths.
  • Options
    Ah. That makes sense :)
  • Options
    sheckershecker Posts: 1 New Member
    My teen got off the school bus and the camera immediately zoomed to him. I see him curl up on the ground and click on him, he's Mortified +50 from a mood swing. That's IT! Now he's dead. How is this possible? Seems like just a random chance my sims will die getting off the bus from school, I had no opportunity to reduce his embarrassment. This has to be a glitch.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Teens and children have never had been able to get to the death emotion as that would created a -negative Teen rating situation. I couldn't even get my teenage sim to die of hysterical laughing to death.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    Teens and children have never had been able to get to the death emotion as that would created a -negative Teen rating situation. I couldn't even get my teenage sim to die of hysterical laughing to death.

Teens were able to die from emotions before; a patch that came with the Parenthood expansion now prevents teens from dying that way. This is because the mood swings are +50 intensity.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member

I wish that emotional deaths weren't a feature at all! I think it is the worst feature of the game. This is a game about emotions and the extreme ones are the most fun so we shouldn't have to worry that our sim will die of them!
  • Options
    shygirlshygirl Posts: 221 Member

teens can die from being mortified because of a mood swing, my teen just died

06-05-17_3-51-30AM.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    shygirl wrote: »

06-05-17_3-51-30AM.png
    See I knew that could happen why change it and not tell us.

Post edited by pepperjax1230 on
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    shygirl wrote: »

06-05-17_3-51-30AM.png

Do you have any mods involving allowing kids to die from other things? They override the emotional deaths.