Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you REALLY like the new pack?

Comments

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited May 2017
    All I can say, putting aside the arguments, is that I have learned more about this pack through hearing about other simmers' thoughts and opinions about the pack and being directed towards a helpful guide (thanks @Cinebar ! :smile: ) than I did with some of the Let's Plays.

With my bad experience with getting unrealistically high expectations due to overhype in he past, I am o e of those who are little more cautious, and would do more research before purchasing.

(Sims is not the only game I play, and I also have other hobbies that cost money, and my jobs don't pay well, so it never hurts for me to do some research before spending money on a disappointing pack. I expect some good quality from my games, and I will not be ashamed about wanting more.)

I am really liking that this pack does have some of the subtle elements from the Generations pack in Sims 3. However, I still enjoyed Generations, and I hope there will be more Generations/family content in the future for Sims 4. (In the meantime, I'm excited to hear rumors about Pets as well...)

So far, I am learning more about this pack, and I am starting to see that this pack is sounding really good for my family play.

I will keep reading up on some things, but it does sound like Sims 4 is improving what with the toddler updates and interesting and fun past GP content (see Vampires especially), so I am interested in seeing what's in store for the future. :blush:

Oh! I would really want to see an Island Vacation GP one day! (Or more of my favorite Occults like Fairies and mermaids. :blush: )

I still feel Sims 2/3 had lots more content, but Sims 4 seems to be trying some things.

I will forever be happy about that toddler update, though. :grin: My goodness, I missed toddlers so, so much! :lol:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    This game is for teenagers, not a grown adult with a full time job.

Says who? Gaming isn't teenagers exclusive since a long time (never have been in my opinion). I think someone mentioned somewhere that the age demographic of the sims 4 was around 37 years old, of course there's younger and older people playing the game, but games aren't aimed at teenagers anymore.

gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    joseandchocolatejoseandchocolate Posts: 321 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »

Says who? Gaming isn't teenagers exclusive since a long time (never have been in my opinion). I think someone mentioned somewhere that the age demographic of the sims 4 was around 37 years old, of course there's younger and older people playing the game, but games aren't aimed at teenagers anymore.

My bad for saying it wrong, the game is rated T for teen, and from what I've seen it's mostly kids around that age group. Of course adults 30+ play it, I meant to to say the game, is physically written as a game for teenagers, which explains my point on how $20 isn't just easily spent on lunch.
    8d90c06c58195513b2df4fb82cf0ebb5.png
    Check out my YouTube Channel http://bit.ly/2ssq3Gk
    Follow me on Twitter http://bit.ly/2sYEob0
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited June 2017

My bad for saying it wrong, the game is rated T for teen, and from what I've seen it's mostly kids around that age group. Of course adults 30+ play it, I meant to to say the game, is physically written as a game for teenagers, which explains my point on how $20 isn't just easily spent on lunch.

I'm pretty sure the age is more of a guideline as to who can and can not play the game. In this case, the 'teen' rating, which I think is 13+, means the game is not recommended for anyone younger than 13. In my country, the game is not recommended for anyone under 15. It doesn't mean that the game is made exclusively for people aged 13-15, but that it deals with themes that may not be appropriate for people younger than the specified ages. When it does deal with themes considered appropriate for older audiences, these may be more tongue-in-cheek. Think of the names of some of the bar drinks. For example, "juice on the rocks". I would assume a 13 year old would be far less in tune to what kind of drinks are really ordered "on the rocks" in the real world than an adult is.

Additionally, you can think of it like a movie rating. Some movies are restricted to people aged 18 years and over. It doesn't mean the movie is made for people in their late teens, but that 18 years and over is considered to be the appropriate age for dealing with the themes of the movie.

In short, the game is not 'written' for teenagers. It is made in such a way that is considered appropriate for any age above 13 (or 15 in my case). While the themes in The Sims may be somewhat downplayed to cater to a younger audience, this doesn't mean older audiences can't enjoy them (and clearly, with The Sims, they do enjoy them).
    Post edited by cameronw209 on
  • Options
    All I can say, putting aside the arguments, is that I have learned more about this pack through hearing about other simmers' thoughts and opinions about the pack and being directed towards a helpful guide (thanks @Cinebar ! :smile: ) than I did with some of the Let's Plays.

With my bad experience with getting unrealistically high expectations due to overhype in he past, I am o e of those who are little more cautious, and would do more research before purchasing.

(Sims is not the only game I play, and I also have other hobbies that cost money, and my jobs don't pay well, so it never hurts for me to do some research before spending money on a disappointing pack. I expect some good quality from my games, and I will not be ashamed about wanting more.)

I am really liking that this pack does have some of the subtle elements from the Generations pack in Sims 3. However, I still enjoyed Generations, and I hope there will be more Generations/family content in the future for Sims 4. (In the meantime, I'm excited to hear rumors about Pets as well...)

So far, I am learning more about this pack, and I am starting to see that this pack is sounding really good for my family play.

I will keep reading up on some things, but it does sound like Sims 4 is improving what with the toddler updates and interesting and fun past GP content (see Vampires especially), so I am interested in seeing what's in store for the future. :blush:

Oh! I would really want to see an Island Vacation GP one day! (Or more of my favorite Occults like Fairies and mermaids. :blush: )

I still feel Sims 2/3 had lots more content, but Sims 4 seems to be trying some things.

I will forever be happy about that toddler update, though. :grin: My goodness, I missed toddlers so, so much! :lol:

Yes, reviewing and looking at let's plays for a $20 CAN be necessary, it really depends on who you are, and for the person who was saying that, he had to look through them, and that's okay.

Sims is not the only game I play either, but

So people are still talking about how Generations has nothing to do with the Sims 4

We all know that the Sims re-create and re-touch up EP's and sell them again with the new franchise, for example

Sims 3 Ambitions ~ Sims 4 Get To Work
    Sims 2 Seasons/Pets ~ Sims 3 Seasons/Pets
    Sims 3 Late Night ~ Sims 4 City Living
    The Sims Makin Magic ~ Sims 3 Supernatural
    And of course...
    Sims 3 Generations ~ Sims 4 Parenthood
    And much more on.

They might not be the same, but this is still previous work of EA. I don't know about you, but I expect better from the company. My money goes to this company, so I'm gonna be wanting something that's better. How are you gonna go from prom dates, learning how to drive, new interactions at a wedding, and tree houses, pranks, egging people's houses, to yelling at kids, farting, and throwing stuff on the floor. They fall in the same category, so of course they will be compared.

As a player of the game it's our job to provide feedback (oh hi, welcome to my discussion), and for my feedback, when you have The Sims 3 Generations and you pull off something similar to it, I expect it to be better. I have higher expectations for such an amazing company.
  • Options

I'm pretty sure the age is more of a guideline as to who can and can not play the game. In this case, the 'teen' rating, which I think means 13+, means the game is not recommended for anyone younger than 13. In my country, the game is not recommended for anyone under 15. It doesn't mean that the game is made exclusively for people aged 13-15, but that it deals with themes that may not be appropriate for people younger than the specified ages. When it does deal with themes considered appropriate for older audiences, these may be more tongue-in-cheek (think of the names of some of the bar drinks, for example "juice on the rocks").

Think of a movie rating. Some movies are restricted to people aged 18 years and over. It doesn't mean the movie is made for people in their late teens, but that 18 years and over is considered to be the appropriate age for dealing with the themes of the movie.

In short, the game is not 'written' for teenagers. It is made in such a way that is considered appropriate for any age above 13 (or 15 in my case). While the themes in The Sims may be somewhat downplayed to cater to a younger audience, this doesn't mean older audiences can't enjoy them (and clearly, with The Sims, they do enjoy them).

I agree with what you say, but when you hear the trailers, you hear "Rated T for Teen", and some people see it as a game for teenagers. But you are COMPLETELY right, this game is for anyone above that age group, but you cannot just speak for everyone to say that paying $20 for this game is easy.

Now, this is completely opinion based:
    I feel as if the Sims 3 was aimed for a more mature audience, hence late night and master suite stuff back, and with the Sims 4, they wanted to lower their target audience somewhat, went for a more cartoonish look, turning the dark city of Late Night into San Myshuno bright, and ambient, you know?
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I feel as if the Sims 3 was aimed for a more mature audience, hence late night and master suite stuff back, and with the Sims 4, they wanted to lower their target audience somewhat, went for a more cartoonish look, turning the dark city of Late Night into San Myshuno bright, and ambient, you know?

Oh yeah, Bridgeport was a real Gotham. :D
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I'm sorry but ... I get that you believe in the value of a good argument, but does every little thing have to be an argument with lots of italics and bold parts of text? Can't people just have their own opinion without being told "wow ... what a doofus you must be".

Thank you! He does this all the time, although his name is "Deserved Criticism," I think it would be more accurate to describe him as negative and cynical. And I don't even feel bad for saying that. He goes out of his way to make people feel foolish all the time, and people shouldn't fall for it. His posts are passive aggressive and not constructive.

100% agreed.

And I say that as someone who is just regular aggressive. Doesn't make me popular in these parts, but it is what it is. :smiley:

@DeservedCriticism, you keep taking about how you never brought "morality" into this, and how the $20 pricetag "isn't the issue".

You really need to learn about subtext. You never said you feel people have a moral imperative to vote with their wallets, but the rest of us can read between the lines.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

Wherever do you get that idea from sonny? Sims 1 came out when I was in my late 40's and I've been hooked ever since! It isn't just for kids. In fact, I feel it's always been more geared to the older age groups.

In fact, it's initial humour in sims 1 was sometimes only something an adult got. Not so much with 3 and 4 as it's been toned down quite a bit due to changes to the ratings systems and worldwide releases.

• Options
    fullspiral wrote: »

Wherever do you get that idea from sonny? Sims 1 came out when I was in my late 40's and I've been hooked ever since! It isn't just for kids. In fact, I feel it's always been more geared to the older age groups.

In fact, it's initial humour in sims 1 was sometimes only something an adult got. Not so much with 3 and 4 as it's been toned down quite a bit due to changes to the ratings systems and worldwide releases.

Ah yes, I do feel that The Sims was definitely played by grown adults
  • Options
    OEII1001 wrote: »

I REALLY miss that about the Sims. The Sims 3 Latenight will FOREVER be my favorite expansion pack and I don't that will change for a very long time. The darkness, was just so beautiful, the city, was absolutely stunning and so detailed and beautiful. Even the Sims 3 Supernatural was such a banger for me. I loved it, and major props for having such an amazing game to play during my childhood. That's what I feel that's missing about the Sims 4...there's no darkness, there really isn't a 'big hit' in it yet. I'm hoping they release something great soon!
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member

I think what they mean is that the fanbase is overwhelmingly young, teenage girls (or at least early 20s). Look at Tumblr and Youtube, and not to mention the average creation on the Gallery, which have all the hallmarks of a teen player: barbie doll aesthetics, poses out the wazoo, and more TSR CC than you can shake a stick at.

And Maxis is aware of this subset of the fandom, too: look at the musical acts they book to record songs. They're all very much flavour of the month, top 40 teenybopper artists.

That's not to say that other people don't play The Sims (I myself am a 31-year old man), but there's a huge teenage following that you can't deny.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options

I REALLY miss that about the Sims. The Sims 3 Latenight will FOREVER be my favorite expansion pack and I don't that will change for a very long time. The darkness, was just so beautiful, the city, was absolutely stunning and so detailed and beautiful. Even the Sims 3 Supernatural was such a banger for me. I loved it, and major props for having such an amazing game to play during my childhood. That's what I feel that's missing about the Sims 4...there's no darkness, there really isn't a 'big hit' in it yet. I'm hoping they release something great soon!

Oh I was being entirely sarcastic. Bridgeport was cartoonish as befits the style of the series. The vampires pack has been the darkest thing since the fate of many sims in the original game.
  • Options

Oh I was being entirely sarcastic. Bridgeport was cartoonish as befits the style of the series. The vampires pack has been the darkest thing since the fate of many sims in the original game.

The Sims 4 vampires literally just flew out of my head. Just kidding, there's the darkness of the Sims 4 lmao
  • Options

The Sims 4 vampires literally just flew out of my head. Just kidding, there's the darkness of the Sims 4 lmao

Even before vampires there were still aliens and they still abducted sims, experimented on them and forcibly impregnated the males who then were used as surrogates to bring new aliens to term. While it lacks the black comedy of The Sims, The Sims 4 is right in line with The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 in terms of dark elements.
  • Options

Even before vampires there were still aliens and they still abducted sims, experimented on them and forcibly impregnated the males who then were used as surrogates to bring new aliens to term. While it lacks the black comedy of The Sims, The Sims 4 is right in line with The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 in terms of dark elements.

Yeah, I wouldn't say you're wrong! What I meant by darkness was like, NYC black pitch night with the beautiful skyscrapers and lights filling the whole place up (or at least that's how I thought of it lol)

And for the Sims 3 Seasons, I saw it pretty ambient because of Spring and Summer and all cute stuff and etc
  • Options
    I constantly find myself re-watching the trailer to late night... like yeah I know they totally made it seem like the clubs were packed when literally only two people would be there and it's nothing like the trailer... but 🐸🐸🐸🐸... they did THAT
  • Options
    wow did they seriously make d@mn into plum
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Considering I despise Sims 3 I like Sims 4 for being different.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options

I didn't like it much either. To me The Sims 4 feels more like The Sims 2, which I think is a good thing.
  • Options
    Change is good, definitely :)
    I just have a huge adoration for the aesthetic and the expansion packs for the Sims 3. I feel like those can never be topped, and especially the animations from The Sims 2
    Like if you take a look at any music video from the Sims, most likely the best ones are made with the Sims 2

But I still do play Sims 4 rather than Sims 3, but I don't think I've reached the time yet of hours and hours I've spent on the Sims 3 as a kid
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

I think what they mean is that the fanbase is overwhelmingly young, teenage girls (or at least early 20s). Look at Tumblr and Youtube, and not to mention the average creation on the Gallery, which have all the hallmarks of a teen player: barbie doll aesthetics, poses out the wazoo, and more TSR CC than you can shake a stick at.

And Maxis is aware of this subset of the fandom, too: look at the musical acts they book to record songs. They're all very much flavour of the month, top 40 teenybopper artists.

That's not to say that other people don't play The Sims (I myself am a 31-year old man), but there's a huge teenage following that you can't deny.

That's a really interesting observation! While I have no doubt the visible presence of 'teendom' would influence the nature of The Sims, I have a feeling that marketing/game development would be more closely tied to official demographics. The kind of online presence you're talking about may not be a reflection of the true demographics of the game, and may just be a particular group of people who engage with The Sims in a way that is particularly noticeable (I, myself, wouldn't necessarily generalise the music/CAS stuff as belonging a certain age group). I'll add that I fall under your demographic and I don't participate in tumblr/Youtube, but that's not to say I don't exist as a player and therefore, don't have any sort of influence over the game. I think that if the game interests me, there must be something in it that appeals to my demographic too.
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member

I didn't like it much either. To me The Sims 4 feels more like The Sims 2, which I think is a good thing.

Add me to the club lol :D Never got the craze about sims 3 ...
  • Options

Add me to the club lol :D Never got the craze about sims 3 ...

The expansion packs were phenomenal and beyond expectations. What else?
    (Other than the ones that were totally a bust)
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @DeservedCriticism
    If your aim is to convince the 70000 customers that they should change behavior because you personally don't like something, I'd say telling them how they should spend their money and their time is most likely not the best approach. I mean you're basically relying on empathy and compassion, asking them to potentally ruin their own enjoyment for your own sake, and you're posting walls of text about how they should live. That doesn't seem like a good way to create empathy.

I think you're also missing the fact that we all have our own perspective. The reason why I'm not complaining about the simulation lag for example is because I don't have simulation lag, it's as simple as that. And that's with a save game that's 2 year and a half old now, with around 30 households and a population of 60 toddlers/children/teens. My game is stable, the amount of bugs is low enough not to hinder my enjoyment of the game. And they have been efficient so far fixing the bugs that were bothering me. So I'm in fact betting the same thing as you do : that this pattern will likely continue. And I'm fine with that.

The fact that we all buy from Maxis doesn't explain why it's your way we should all logically follow. I mean, I understand you're not happy, you wish people would all gather behind you to support your agenda, etc, but I just don't have any logical reason to do that. And that doesn't mean people are blind or not critical, they may very well have different criteria than you. We don't all have the same amount of money, the same amount of free time, or enjoy the same thing for example.

I really like the next pack. I'm glad I didn't look at the stream (I couldn't watch it on friday, and thought I'd keep the surprise afterward), I tried to stay away from reviews because I wanted to discover it myself, and I'm really happy I did because I'm having fun discovering the content. And now I feel like I'm having a risky life buying video games without educating myself first :D

C'mon dude, put SOME effort into not strawmanning me.

This is my post, word-for-word:
    In this specific case, people express disappointment in Sims 4 all the time....yet very very few of us actually do anything about it. In this case, that's EXTRA frustrating for me, because 32,000 of those 70,000 buyers might actually agree with me that the quality could stand to improve, and yet they make their purchase anyways; 32,000 unsold copies would be enough to matter, but we squander that chance.

This is your response:
    If your aim is to convince the 70000 customers that they should change behavior because you personally don't like something

It's very hard to bother responding to you when you're misquoting me within the first sentence. Nowhere did I state I want to convince people who like the pack NOT to like it, and on this very page you can see me saying that much to Pegasys, who says he does enjoy the pack. I am directing my commentary at those who express disappointment and do nothing about that by purchasing all packs anyways.

I don't often get annoyed, but the super blatant strawmans...? Yeah, that's annoying. It just sends a message you have no intention of understanding my side, you just want to "win" some internet argument at any costs and you're not above misrepresenting the other party to make that happen.

Minor note: I'm a she :)