Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 folder

I just had to totally wipe my entire computer and start over. I have my sims 4 saves/custom content folders saved on a separate drive. Can I just replace the entire sims 4 folder in my documents to get everything back to the way it was?
heartstopper-couple.gif

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,605 Member
    Hello
    You can replace the new saves and mods folders that are in the new sims 4 folder , with your old saves and mods folders, and your save games will remain the same.
  • Options
    imateaspoonimateaspoon Posts: 1 New Member
    hi, so can you save you entire sims 4 folder to an external storage drive and then save it on a new device and still have all your unique saved game-play content such as households on the new device
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    hi, so can you save you entire sims 4 folder to an external storage drive and then save it on a new device and still have all your unique saved game-play content such as households on the new device

@imateaspoon Yes, you can. Or you can just save the folders Tray (that's your Library) and Save, along with (if you want to port them over) Screenshots, Mods, and Recorded Video, and let the game make fresh folders for everything else.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    JassAkgunJassAkgun Posts: 29 Member
    Hello, after the last update my save files are totally gone. No mods, no screenshots, no households. Nothing. Is there a solution for that?
  • Options
    JassAkgun wrote: »
    Hello, after the last update my save files are totally gone. No mods, no screenshots, no households. Nothing. Is there a solution for that?

What's in your Documents > The Sims 4 folder? Are Saves, Screenshots, and Tray there also empty?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    > @luthienrising said:
    > JassAkgun wrote: »
    >
    > Hello, after the last update my save files are totally gone. No mods, no screenshots, no households. Nothing. Is there a solution for that?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What's in your Documents > The Sims 4 folder? Are Saves, Screenshots, and Tray there also empty?

Yep, all empty. There're today's savings in the saves file. All my effords are gone, isn't it? :(
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    > @luthienrising said:
    >
    > Hello, after the last update my save files are totally gone. No mods, no screenshots, no households. Nothing. Is there a solution for that?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What's in your Documents > The Sims 4 folder? Are Saves, Screenshots, and Tray there also empty?

Yep, all empty. There're today's savings in the saves file. All my effords are gone, isn't it? :(

Possibly :/ There's often a way to recover a previous version of a folder. @chesterbigbird @phoebebebe13 or @DeKay might be able to step you through that.

Is there a chance you have a backup anywhere?
  • Options
    > @luthienrising said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hello
    Do you use One Drive? Is there a backup copy of your sims 4 files there?
  • Options
    Hello, @rosemow I don't have a backup copy there. But I found a bit older version of my savings I guess. The saving's date is 2016 but that can work too, I don't have the file in my computer yet, but can you tell me which file has the latest saving? For example slot 1 or slot 10?
  • Options
    Hello, @rosemow I don't have a backup copy there. But I found a bit older version of my savings I guess. The saving's date is 2016 but that can work too, I don't have the file in my computer yet, but can you tell me which file has the latest saving? For example slot 1 or slot 10?

The slot number doesn't tell you what's most recent unless you never deleted a save in-game, in which case 2 is the earliest and it gets more recent above that. Slot 1 is the game's autosave.
  • Options

Hello
    The slot 1 is the autosave file.
    You can tell which slot number is the latest by the date/time of the file.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,616 Member
    Yeah, like what the others said, just check the date of the files by putting your Windows Explorer to show "Details" (View > Detail).

You don't have to put the slot 1 into your folder if you don't want to but when you get into you game, click on "Load Save" instead of the big play button. From the load save menu, you can navigate your latest save.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Should I transfer all of my savings to the folder or just the recent one is enough? What would you recommend? And also I have a file in that savings file which is named "SerialGUID" but it's empty. Should I transfer that file, too? What does that file mean?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Should I transfer all of my savings to the folder or just the recent one is enough? What would you recommend? And also I have a file in that savings file which is named "SerialGUID" but it's empty. Should I transfer that file, too? What does that file mean?

Hello
    First move the new save game files from the sims 4 folder ( the ones that were created after the issue occured ) and place them on the desktop in another folder. Then you can either just copy the most recent backup save game into the sims 4 folder or all of the backup save game files. You don't need to transfer the serialGUID file.