Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there any way to edit outside your owned lot?

SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
I was redesinging the 888 Spire Apartments to make it more friendly for my generational family, and as I was adding some stuff to the balcony I noticed that part of the wall outside is drywall... I can't even edit it because its "outside my owned lot".. Is there a way to get around this?? otherwise that patch of wall is going to drive me crazy.

http://imgur.com/a/abuXy

giphy.gif
Post edited by Summerjase on

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Summerjase wrote: »
    I was redesinging the 888 Spire Apartments to make it more friendly for my generational family, and as I was adding some stuff to the balcony I noticed that part of the wall outside is drywall... I can't even edit it because its "outside my owned lot".. Is there a way to get around this?? otherwise that patch of wall is going to drive me crazy.

The exterior parts of apartment buildings aren't editable in Sims 4 (similar to if you lived in one IRL). Technically speaking, they're basically terrain. The "lot" is the interior (with windows and the hallway door part of the exterior uneditable space). It was basically that or only have lowrise buildings with one livable lot in them, and they went with the design option that let us house multiple households in a building.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

The exterior parts of apartment buildings aren't editable in Sims 4 (similar to if you lived in one IRL). Technically speaking, they're basically terrain. The "lot" is the interior (with windows and the hallway door part of the exterior uneditable space). It was basically that or only have lowrise buildings with one livable lot in them, and they went with the design option that let us house multiple households in a building.

So there's no way of editing the exterior parts of the building? This drywall is driving me crazy.
    giphy.gif
  • Options

So there's no way of editing the exterior parts of the building? This drywall is driving me crazy.

Nope, that's not editable. Sorry :(
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    yeah, that's my favorite apartment to live in and I noticed it as well
    developer oversight I suppose :p
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    yeah, that's my favorite apartment to live in and I noticed it as well
    developer oversight I suppose :p

I was so excited to move in, then that :tongue:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    LykkeLeafLykkeLeaf Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2017
    That's strange, I just checked in my game and those exact same walls are fine. I'm on a new save so maybe that's why.

I just experimented a bit and turns out that pushing the exterior walls inside causes them to turn to drywall. There's no way to fix it beside undoing changes. Has this issue been reported before?
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    edited May 2017
    Yeah there are a few apartment buildings with the developers mistakes, namely the drywalls, but unfortunately it can't be edited. It's annoying to look at, but I try my best to ignore it because I highly doubt it's something that'll be fixed.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member

Don't defend them or they'll never fix it :(
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    MrMonty96 wrote: »

Don't defend them or they'll never fix it :(

It's an explanation, not a defense. But for what it's worth, I prefer it as a design choice. I'm NOT a builder and I hated the limitations in Sims 3 apartment gameplay with a passion. If it's one or the other for technical reasons, I'll take housing multiple households in a building. It would have been awesome if they could have done both, but it was explained that that would break all our existing saves because of the change in how households relate to lots. To me, breaking all my previous gameplay would not be worth it so builders could build apartment buildings *and* I could have multiple households in them. So *there's* a defense: I prefer what they choice for *my* gameplay.

I do hope we get an NPC roommate and assignable NPC room system, though, for buildable lots. (Something that came much later than Apartments for Sims 3.)
  • Options
    Percy06Percy06 Posts: 4 New Member
    so i’m having a problem yikes. this new update added the patch thing that’s messing with a lot of mods which i’m sure you are done hearing about lol. but my problem is that the mods i used removed doors and would let me put them in. i fixed the issue and took out the mods but now my sims have no way of getting in their apartment because it won’t let me add a front door and i have no idea how to fix this :(
  • Options
    Percy06 wrote: »
    so i’m having a problem yikes. this new update added the patch thing that’s messing with a lot of mods which i’m sure you are done hearing about lol. but my problem is that the mods i used removed doors and would let me put them in. i fixed the issue and took out the mods but now my sims have no way of getting in their apartment because it won’t let me add a front door and i have no idea how to fix this :(

After you remove the problem mod (which we can't discuss on these forums), delete the file called localthumbcache.
  • Options
    is that file the same thing as “online thumbnail cache”??
  • Options
    and could you tell me where to go to discuss that mod so i can figure out other info to do with it lol
  • Options
    since i cant build outside the owner area, should i just reset my game? i really don’t mind to since i have my stuff backed up
  • Options
    kinot9229kinot9229 Posts: 528 Member
    edited June 2019
    LykkeLeaf wrote: »
    That's strange, I just checked in my game and those exact same walls are fine. I'm on a new save so maybe that's why.

I just experimented a bit and turns out that pushing the exterior walls inside causes them to turn to drywall. There's no way to fix it beside undoing changes. Has this issue been reported before?

@LykkeLeaf
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-CL-Modifying-Certain-Apartments-deletes-Exterior-Wall/td-p/5700498

I just checked the list and found out that it has been reported.
    Let’s click “me too” 🤗
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    Percy06 wrote: »

SAMMMMMEEEEEE Like still can't get out, or in. But now my sim can get out of her bedroom at least. And I went into manage worlds to try to give people doors. NO SUCH LUCK. This is why we should''ve been able to make our own apartment buildings in the first place.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks considering this thread has been inactive for some time and our bug reporting has moved to AHQ I'm going to go ahead and close this off. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top