Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you believe in Story Progression Update before family gamepack?

Today I was thinking about the possibility of being added to The Sims 4, finally, the Story Progression, a feature that has been expected and discussed by the community since when the fourth generation was started.

It has been a long time since I, particularly speaking, have been waiting for them to make significant improvements with respect to this feature. I really miss seeing the families that are in the neighborhood progressing and changing, I miss being able to define the individual life of each age group of the Sims, I really miss playing The Sims in epic mode With the longest period of life)

But unfortunately, in The Sims 4, the story that families were able to create by themselves was left out. And instead, we get Sims who live in the neighborhood, and grow old very fast if the aging option is active. Sims grow older, die and disappear. Soon after, townies will live in the house of those who have left if we do not add someone to live there before, and the game continues its progression of generic history.

What do you think about the lack of story progression, better control over Sims' lifetime, among other related things?

tenor.gif

Comments

• Options
    BooV7227BooV7227 Posts: 282 Member
    edited May 2017
    Well I use MCCC to add in Story Progression, so if EA added it that would be great. It would be interesting to see how they chose to implement it in comparison with Deaderpool...

To have Townies move into empty homes occasionally would be nice, and maybe be guaranteed at least one child per house/ per generation, so that districts don't become ghost towns.
    tCTe03l.png
  • Options
    NaomiSImblrNaomiSImblr Posts: 158 Member
    it would definitely be good, but I have mc command centre and they comes with story progression :)
  • Options
    SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    edited May 2017
    I didn't get to play TS3 so all I know about it is what I've heard. Idk if I'd really like it or not. It would be nice not to have to go into CAS to age up my townies all the time. To me it's a little weird when a sim plays with a child townie then his kids play with the same kid, then his grandkids, and so on. To keep that from happening I age them up along with my sims. I play with active household only aging, and on long lifespan btw. When my sim dies I delete the townies and let the game generate more or make them myself. I don't/won't use mods so MCCC is a no go for me. If they do patch in story progression or whatever, I do hope they make it optional, so if I don't like it, I can turn it off.
    IMO I don't think it will be something we will get. I could be wrong tho. I was very wrong when it came to toddlers.

ETA: There are some houses I would want to keep empty, for story reasons, so maybe filling houses could/should be optional too.
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    If they implement story progression it should be OPTIONAL. Story progression would destroy my gameplay.

I believe that if the producers add story progression to the game, it would be optional just as it was in The Sims 3.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    I don't miss it; but would be interesting if it was added though I don't know if I'd play with it on-- Assuming if added was optional.
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    MewMew Posts: 93 Member
    I'm highly satisfied with MCCC's story progression - especially the option that lets me name all the new babies in town - so even if EA added their own, I don't think I'd use it. Pretty much because I don't see them giving an option that lets you name all the new babies in town! XD
    mew~
    Scz0hyy.gif
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    Mew wrote: »
    I'm highly satisfied with MCCC's story progression - especially the option that lets me name all the new babies in town - so even if EA added their own, I don't think I'd use it. Pretty much because I don't see them giving an option that lets you name all the new babies in town! XD

Where is THIS setting? I hate the names the game gives the babies!!!
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited May 2017
    Who do people constantly ignore the "manage households" option that you can use in the "manage worlds" view? It's a much easier way to be sure Sims around your world have children, get married, etc... a lot better than story progression, in my opinion... mainly because we actually control it all ourselves.

I'm honestly much more concerned about the fact that aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, and in laws aren't properly recognized by the game than the lack of story progression. It seriously peeves me when the only time a Sim is considered an aunt or uncle is when they're the immediate brother/sister of a certain Sim's parent... they need to seriously fix this. The same goes for in laws.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    edited May 2017
    NVM... @Lustianicia has a good point lol... Since my Sims 3 families never had children on their own-- did origionally but later after patches didn't so... It did nothing for my game... Just paired up sims now and then...

In short, might as well pair up the sims ourselves since it seems like without Mods (that I refuse to touch or consider) they don't even in Sims 3 reproduce on their own... Might as well, breed them ourselves... Gahhh.. I had forgotten this when I first replied then remembered...
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    Who do people constantly ignore the "manage households" option that you can use in the "manage worlds" view? It's a much easier way to be sure Sims around your world have children, get married, etc... a lot better than story progression, in my opinion... mainly because we actually control it all ourselves.

I'm honestly much more concerned about the fact that aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, and in laws aren't properly recognized by the game than the lack of story progression. It seriously peeves me when the only time a Sim is considered an aunt or uncle is when they're the immediate brother/sister of a certain Sim's parent... they need to seriously fix this. The same goes for in laws.

I understand what you prefer, but I think the point is that not all players want to spend their time using the "manage households" and "manage worlds" options to make sure Sims around the neighborhood are having kids, getting married or something. Even because, Sims do not marry alone, but the game has the ability to generate new families that have married members. It would be a very stressful and boring activity for me, for example, to edit each family in my game through the "manage households" option to add new Sims to families and control everything by myself. :)

It is very impressive the huge amount of players that use the MC Command Mod, all because it has the ability to create a kind of story progression within the game,and in fact, the story progression feature is what most motivates people to download this mod. Which means people like Story Progression and how it helps in the development of Sims without the player necessarily having to intervene manually in absolutely everything.

What's more, the story progression was a totally optional feature in The Sims 3, so each player decide whether to use it or not. Players who prefer to have full control over absolutely everything about the Sims and their lives can disable the option, while players who prefer that the game take care of the other families by simply turning it on.

This would suit all types of players in the best possible way. It is important to emphasize that the entry of a resource is not always mentioned to the detriment of another. It could have Story Progression and the new classification of family members, which is something that you really want. :)
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    If they do add story progression I hope that it is more controlled than in TS3. I always switched it off back in the day because I felt that it was too random.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I find this interesting, in the sims 3 I didn't like story progression as it made changes to my sim families when I wasn't playing them and I didn't like that.

I have the sims 4 on two pcs, one has mc command and the other is vsnilla. One of the reasons I love MC command is because of story progression. Without it by three generations my towns are ghost towns and my sims I am rotating between are bypassed.

I would only be interested if EA added story progression and it didn't impact on played families.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I'd rather they give us more tools to manually change the neighborhood, rather than Story Progression. I'm not interested in Story Progression, I prefer doing it myself.
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    It would make sense to have this in a patch, since the GP is about families. The time passing andthe families becoming ghosts with no progress is definitely something that makes TS4 feel bad to me. It can be an option, I don't think it's impossible since mc command center does it.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I hated Story Progression.

HATED it.

I'm a rotational player, so the absolute worst thing about TS3, and probably what soured me on the game (TS3 is my least favourite in the series) is that my Sims would suddenly get married, have kids (usually with only a single parent), and would randomly gain 200lbs. Seriously. Sunset Valley had a massive obesity epidemic in my game. And, before Supernatural added in some much-needed options, I had a plague of celebrities and vampires. It was horrible.

TS4 gets on my nerves RE: culling and married Sims cheating (though that finally seems to be under control), but at least my non-active Sims don't die unless I choose to let them die. They only age if I choose to let them age.

I'd like to see NPC roles (like "massage therapist", "mixologist", "maid" and so on) be considered real jobs by the game, so that if my inactive (and unemployed) Sim does get a job as a mixologist at the bowling alley, then they should be allowed to keep that job when I rotate back to them, but other than that, I don't want story progression anywhere my game ever again.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    I would personally love it...except I already have MCCC and it works great, so idk. It'd be a good option for vanilla players, tho!
  • Options
    JSimmyJSimmy Posts: 51 Member
    @kwanzaabot Yes! Even though I loved the sims 3 I hated it always affecting my families that I've played! If they add it I'd rather it be optional because I can really do without it!
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    That means depth, and Sims 4 does not do in depth gameplay.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Sadly I don't believe. I would love to see something like that in small scale. The option for unplayed sims to get married and have kids on their own would be handy. Sims getting a notice when their relatives and friends die is badly needed. I never played much TS3 so I'm not very familiar with the story progression there. I've tried MCCC, but only for a short while. It definitely spices up things when playing a single household, but for my rotational saves it would be just too much.
  • Options
    ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    An optional, carefully thought out Story Progression might be a good idea although I can't see me using it.

I have too many horror stories from Sims 3 to ever want to risk it again. Family members just moving out of town to be replaced with random babies for one.

Agnes Crumplebottom moving away from her mansion and expensive cars, thus losing the lot, to shack up with an impoverished boyfriend and his other girlfriend springs to mind, too.

That's when I learned to only play one Sim or one household per neighbourhood. I play with aging off for everyone so, playing the way I do now, I'm not all that bothered what Townies get up to (or don't get up to) so long as my Sims don't lose their friends and acquaintances.
    Don't feed the trolls
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    If they implement story progression it should be OPTIONAL. Story progression would destroy my gameplay.

Agreed! This is the reason I wasn't able to play Sims 3. Story progression made it impossible for my style of gameplay. And the option to turn it off didn't work as it should, so even having OPTIONAL story progression might be a problem in Sims 4.

I know it serves a purpose for some players, but we need to be able to control the families affected. And if we say we want it OFF, then it needs to turn OFF completely. I would hate to have another game ruined by EA's idea of what "story progression" should do.

• Options
    klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    edited May 2017
    Hmm...I never considered that they might add story progression in a patch prior to this pack, but it certainly makes sense that they may considering that it would add more depth to family play and the general world around them. I think it would be really cool if it made a comeback, but it must have an off switch if implemented. I'd want to be able to use story progression when it suits my storyline or if I'm playing a particular sim or family, and to not have it pushed on me or my gameplay.

It would be extremely helpful if they made this feature more intuitive in TS4. By that, I mean that the game wouldn't marry off your sims' romantic interests before you can choose whether to make them official or not, the game would more likely pair off sims who have traits in common than sims who have conflicting traits, and so on.

Speaking of story progression, if they added a reputation system with this patch, I'd probably fall off my chair. :lol: I'd love it if sims actually knew if their spouse was cheating without having to catch them in the act and if there were repercussions to what our sims do. Ooh! And if children actually reacted to their parents cheating and/or divorcing. It'd be even better if all family members (even those outside of the household where the cheating or divorce has taken place) had reactions and moodlets to something as monumental as this within the family.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. :smile: Honestly, I'd just be happy if we got some much needed bug fixes.

• Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    aws200 wrote: »
    That means depth, and Sims 4 does not do in depth gameplay.

How does random births, deaths, marriages, career assignments and weight gain equal "depth"?

It was every bit as random as TS4. I don't know what you think was happening behind the scenes in TS3, but it wasn't as revolutionary as you think it was. Everything that happened was the result of a roll of the dice. Sims didn't start wooing each other spontaneously, get married, and pop out kids, there was no progression going on. Things just happened for no reason.

Just like TS4.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    A lot of people say they use MCC to add story progression to their game, I once did that, biggest mistake of my life, I mean ya it's nice to have sims outside of your played household get married and have kids and move houses, but I think it's rediculous when a sim is the father of 15 children with 8 different women, not only that, but the father typically didn't even have a positive relationship with any of the women, just neutral acquaintances. Maybe they've updated the mod since I've last used it, but when I used it, that's how the game was for me.