Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you believe in Story Progression Update before family gamepack?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @celipoesias, it's really hard for me to believe any die hard fan of TS3 is enjoying TS4 and praising it's existence. I haven't actually met any who are now die hard TS4 fans.

I have friends who regularly play and enjoy both Sims 3 and Sims 4.

I did say diehard fans. Most I spent time with in the last ten years do not touch TS4 and left TS2 the day TS3 was released.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    @celipoesias, it's really hard for me to believe any die hard fan of TS3 is enjoying TS4 and praising it's existence. I haven't actually met any who are now die hard TS4 fans.

I did say diehard fans. Most I spent time with in the last ten years do not touch TS4 and left TS2 the day TS3 was released.

I'm talking people who play every day. That says "diehard fan" to me. These are actual diehard fans who play two versions of Sims, and those two are Sims 3 and Sims 4. They're both Sims games, not polar opposites that nobody could possibly enjoy both of.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

I'm talking people who play every day. That says "diehard fan" to me. These are actual diehard fans who play two versions of Sims, and those two are Sims 3 and Sims 4. They're both Sims games, not polar opposites that nobody could possibly enjoy both of.

No, I disagree. Diehard fan is someone who is devoted to a particular game. Not someone who can be convinced to play something else. There are still diehard fans of TS2, too. They didn't like TS3 nor TS4. Those of us who do buy other games aren't actually diehard fans we may be passionate about something (like I am about TS2) but we can be convinced to move on or try something else. Those who didn't touch TS4 and remain with TS3 are the diehard fans. Diehard means exactly what it means. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited May 2017

No, I disagree. Diehard fan is someone who is devoted to a particular game. Not someone who can be convinced to play something else. There are still diehard fans of TS2, too. They didn't like TS3 nor TS4. Those of us who do buy other games aren't actually diehard fans we may be passionate about something (like I am about TS2) but we can be convinced to move on or try something else. Those who didn't touch TS4 and remain with TS3 are the diehard fans. Diehard means exactly what it means. :)

I'm sorry, but if playing two different Sims versions every day makes you not a diehard fan - if you can be a diehard fan only if you love one Sims game not the other - then I give up.

Let's take a non-Sims example. I'm a diehard Tolkien fan. I love the Silmarillion and Lord of the Rings. I reread both regularly, and I also love the LOTR movie. (I draw my line at the Hobbit movies, though I approve most of the casting.) I have bookshelves full of published manuscript drafts and criticism. My internet presence is named from a line in the Silmarillion. I have spent money and time travelling to concerts and academic conferences. I have participated in online Tolkien reading clubs, and once devoted two weeks of my life to leading discussion of the longest chapter in LOTR. I have travelled overseas to visit Tolkien's and his wife's grave and drink at his pub table (which, fyi, you can reserve). I love a good movie trilogy day, preferably with themed meals (my husband cooks a good rabbit stew). Am I not a diehard fan because I like the books and the movies? It's very much a comparable example, given the similar amount of book-vs.-movie debate and Sims 3-vs.-4 debate. A person can be a diehard fan without loving only one part of a franchise.

Telling someone they aren't a diehard fan because they like more than one thing in the franchise is going to come across as a slap in the face to many people. And as a denial of their lived reality.

On topic:
    I don't want more story progression in Sims 4; I already have to mark Sims "played" so they won't change jobs on me and to go round getting rid of inappropriate friendships. I want an off switch for any SP that's introduced. I'm also not sure how much it's worth adding SP if people are going to end up using MCCC to customize it more anyway, the way people did with NRAAS. Unless there are more tags that can be added for the mod to use, it would just be duplicating what the mod does - and the mod has lots of options that might not end up in a Maxis-supported story progression. I do wonder it if would end up worth their time in the end if people just ended up nitpicking that it wasn't quite right and turning to mods anyway. I'll be surprised if it gets added.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I'm sorry, but if playing two different Sims versions every day makes you not a diehard fan - if you can be a diehard fan only if you love one Sims game not the other - then I give up.

Let's take a non-Sims example. I'm a diehard Tolkien fan. I love the Silmarillion and Lord of the Rings. I reread both regularly, and I also love the LOTR movie. (I draw my line at the Hobbit movies, though I approve most of the casting.) I have bookshelves full of published manuscript drafts and criticism. My internet presence is named from a line in the Silmarillion. I have spent money and time travelling to concerts and academic conferences. I have participated in online Tolkien reading clubs, and once devoted two weeks of my life to leading discussion of the longest chapter in LOTR. I have travelled overseas to visit Tolkien's and his wife's grave and drink at his pub table (which, fyi, you can reserve). I love a good movie trilogy day, preferably with themed meals (my husband cooks a good rabbit stew). Am I not a diehard fan because I like the books and the movies? It's very much a comparable example, given the similar amount of book-vs.-movie debate and Sims 3-vs.-4 debate. A person can be a diehard fan without loving only one part of a franchise.

Telling someone they aren't a diehard fan because they like more than one thing in the franchise is going to come across as a slap in the face to many people. And as a denial of their lived reality.

On topic:
    I don't want more story progression in Sims 4; I already have to mark Sims "played" so they won't change jobs on me and to go round getting rid of inappropriate friendships. I want an off switch for any SP that's introduced. I'm also not sure how much it's worth adding SP if people are going to end up using MCCC to customize it more anyway, the way people did with NRAAS. Unless there are more tags that can be added for the mod to use, it would just be duplicating what the mod does - and the mod has lots of options that might not end up in a Maxis-supported story progression. I do wonder it if would end up worth their time in the end if people just ended up nitpicking that it wasn't quite right and turning to mods anyway. I'll be surprised if it gets added.

People are diehard about The Sims. But within the series we do have diehard fans of one game over the other. There is a huge difference. I never said people aren't diehard fans, but diehard fans of a particular game won't budge whether that's TS2, TS3 or even TS1. Diehard fans of a series might.

OT: Considering autonomous isn't actually off in this game at all, I have no trust a SP toggle would be, either.