Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is EA really listening?

Comments

• Options
    celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    edited March 2017
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    Really, how many people actually asked for a bowling alley? EA says they are listening to our requests, so that must mean that a lot of people wanted bowling... really? I could name several things that a majority of the people on here have been asking for since the beginning (but I won't because it will get moved to the "Ideas Corner ") and I don't remember anyone requesting bowling! Are they really listening to us?

it's crazy, how many people ask for more african american or ethnic content? Since the original sims smh
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Yeah they have selective hearing
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    PotterheadSimPotterheadSim Posts: 320 Member
    omg people will never be satisfied.
    yes they DO listen
    we asked for pools, ghosts, toddlers, a lot of ncps and we got them all for free
    they can't grant us every wish we have
    you don't have to buy every stuff pack
    there are plenty of people who love bowling in sims and will definitely buy it
    you can't love every pack they release of course, but saying that they are not listening when they gave us a lot of things that we wouldn't stop taling about is just stupid
  • Options
    IceDrizzle27IceDrizzle27 Posts: 648 Member
    celeste821 wrote: »
    Really, how many people actually asked for a bowling alley? EA says they are listening to our requests, so that must mean that a lot of people wanted bowling... really? I could name several things that a majority of the people on here have been asking for since the beginning (but I won't because it will get moved to the "Ideas Corner ") and I don't remember anyone requesting bowling! Are they really listening to us?

it's crazy, how many people ask for more african american or ethnic content? Since the original sims smh

You are so correct, I just posted on this. Why isn't this culture embraced? Even if they didn't know much, research, isn't that what makes a good producer...
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Yes, I believe they are listening. They did one heck of a fabulous job on the toddlers, for instance. I'm also hard-pressed to think I'm the only one who would like some things we've had in the past along with some new things, too. I look at this SP offering bowling as something for my Sims to do. Teens, especially. Or even a 'family night' out. Perhaps, it's because I enjoyed bowling in RL, that having it in the game a third time doesn't trouble me in the least.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I think they are listening when it comes to specific requests. Toddlers, welcome wagon, ghosts, etc.
    However, they aren't listening when we ask for a complete make-over of the sims emotional system, attraction system, memories, etc. because that's "too hard/too expensive" to implement.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    imhappy wrote: »
    I think they are listening when it comes to specific requests. Toddlers, welcome wagon, ghosts, etc.
    However, they aren't listening when we ask for a complete make-over of the sims emotional system, attraction system, memories, etc. because that's "too hard/too expensive" to implement.

Well to be fair they did say making any changes to finished worlds does break everyones saves - and most companies will not support their studios to make things break a players game - never mind break all players games. So you are expecting what they are forbidden to do.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    IhascandyIhascandy Posts: 67 Member
    I'd indeed like to see them listening to the community more, and polls would be a start.
    44318e6415ea052bd5b7c38074aad0aa.png
    That's one small step for a sim... one giant leap for simkind...

• Options
    Ihascandy wrote: »
    I'd indeed like to see them listening to the community more, and polls would be a start.

Well EA Marketing is in charge of the polls - so not much Maxis can do about that either.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    DrakoVongola2DrakoVongola2 Posts: 60 Member
    Ihascandy wrote: »

Internet polls are like the worst way to get accurate market research o-o
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Well to be fair they did say making any changes to finished worlds does break everyones saves - and most companies will not support their studios to make things break a players game - never mind break all players games. So you are expecting what they are forbidden to do.

They didn't actually say any changes would do that. It was specifically about household/lot structure.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

They didn't actually say any changes would do that. It was specifically about household/lot structure.

Actually they did say that - that they could not do any changes that affected finished worlds because it broke saves. They had been trying to find a way around that - but as far as I know it has yet to happen because of the way Sims 4 world design is.

This is not unusual in complex games - in fact just recently another studio (Ludden Studio) over on Steam reported they had an update to their game that also broke saves because they made structural changes to their world. Their game is no where as complex as the Sims believe me.

Wanting something not to be fact does not make it fact.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Actually they did say that - that they could not do any changes that affected finished worlds because it broke saves. They had been trying to find a way around that - but as far as I know it has yet to happen because of the way Sims 4 world design is.

No, they didn't say any changes; I followed the whole discussion, which concerned City Living. In fact, we were told re. a question about swimming that they could, technically, even rebuild the worlds to make existing water bodies swimmable (but that that was unlikely to be how they would choose to use pack development budgets). The issue that would cause saves to break was specifically buildable apartment buildings, which would change the fundamental lot structure of saves to make them potentially multi-household not single-household. I think the whole discussion is linked and/or quoted here, and can be traced back: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15226647/#Comment_15226647
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    PoKiTauru5 wrote: »
    They gave us Toddlers

So...

That's great, but why bowling when there are several more things we have been asking for?

Pets are coming :relaxed: and they separated vampires into their own pack (amen). They're listening.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Different discussion - as I never saw that one - I don't think. I only just recently got CL - so I tend to only pay attention to games I have. But that makes the third actual conversation on breaking saves- I have seen other ones as well over on reddit since the game came out with dev s having discussion among themselves. The two earlier ones I saw was the first over in the question and answer forum where they went indepth to explain things - I believe it was John who explained it. The other conversation I saw I believe it was Twitter - not sure and that had Daniel, Steve, and two other Guru's posting in it when Windenburg had been announced and we saw that beach picture we thought the game would include. As I said I was not even aware of one in regarding CL other then the poly's and the footprint of apts and why they were not buildable for us to do in other worlds. Was that the one? As that discussion made me not buy CL to start with. I only bought it after toddlers came out because I said I would buy everything if we just had toddlers. We got them so I bought it and still not a fan of it. LOL. I NEED to build my own apts. It is a place to go for my sims for festivals and karaoke. - That's about it.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I personally feel as if toddlers should have been here from the start, not a few years later because the complaining was getting out of hand. The toddlers are well done and I can see they've spent time and effort into making them, but that doesn't excuse the mere fact that I think we shouldn't have had to pipe up for months for this lifestage.
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    I didn't initially like that toddlers wasn't included at the beginning and it felt like a huge miss, but at the same time, I LOVE how fleshed out that life stage is and glad that the time was used to give us something we never had in the previous games. I hated the toddler stage in TS3 and would age them up to child pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Jonathan777Jonathan777 Posts: 170 Member
    I'm so happy that we got toddlers and I honestly think EA is listening to us, hopefully we'll be getting Pets next :smiley:
    oNPKztK.jpg
    LOVE IS LOVE - Gilbert and Bruno Ferro
    He/They
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Just because they are "Listening to us" doesn't mean they are always gonna give us stuff that tons of people have been asking for. Sometimes they may just throw in something like this, to shake things up. If they gave us only the stuff people are asking for, that would get boring pretty quick because we would have an idea of what it would be and I for one like a good surprise. :) I do believe they're starting to listen us, we got vamps, then toddlers and possibly pets. I'm very excited to see what they have in store for us. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Keep in mind you all are talking about a stuff pack so some things people ask for can't be in a stuff pack.

Also keep in mind EPs and GPs seem to have priority - and the stuff pack team only makes content that has not been planned to be covered in a GP or EP.

So in their meeting if the SP team have an idea to make something Simmers are screaming for, but the gp or ep team said that feature was already deemed to be part of what they were planning to make - then the sp team has to go in a different direction. It is just the way it goes. Besides most things people are requesting are not things they could even incorporate in a stuff pack no matter how many simmers request it. They are limited into the amount of animations that can be included in s SP - and in fact we are lucky they even make anything animated seeing in past Sims games sps were just stuff - with no animations except very rarely. So think about what you complain about was the things you want possible in an sp and was it something not ever going to be in a gp or ep? Does it have hardly any animation and programming. Keep in mind every animated object also requires a lot of programming to enable sims to use it. Bowling really has a lot of animation and programming surprisingly so it is no wonder there is just one main animation object - but in truth it involves a fair amount of programming if you think about it. Every movement a sim does requires programming as well as every thing an object does requires programming.

You need to be able to look at packs through developers eyes and not through what you think of a few items. SPs are no longer just filled with statues, chairs, and an outfit. Also you cannot expect pets, weather, or any of the other big ideas in a stuff pack either not even if every simmer out there requested the same thing - never mind people wanting entire worlds revamped. That is just not something ever allowed doing in a stuff pack.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Xoxk9 wrote: »
    If you want to get literal a quick search of the ideas section will tell you how many people wanted bowling. It looks to be more than you would think. :D

2hqq7bC.gif

And just cause I'm nosy plum (trying to understand what you want in this game haha), a guru did respond directly to one your concerns. So I mean, when they come out of the shadows to post something... it probably means they are listening. LOL

npqr9aR.png

I just wanted to add here that one of the reasons a SimGuru came "out of the shadows" to respond to @ehaught58 is because he is a hugely talented builder and highly respected member of the Sims community since day One - probably before many people writing here were born. ehaught58 may not post much, but his posts are always relevant - that is something you can trust - as do the SimGurus.
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Well, you are also a longtime and highly respected builder, Rflong7 - and an exceptionally talented and prolific world builder. There is no question that they are listening to you and others who have requested the ability to build worlds for The Sims 4. Whether the listening will - or even can - turn into action is a whole 'nother story.
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Yes, I am. I want the game engine they promised. The one that could support ALL of our Simming dreams or wants. So, yes- I am expecting that. I feel I deserve it. I've been a good simmer for a long time. I should be part of the Simming community that isn't left out.

I do want it all.

TS4 will always be junk unless they can actually fulfill ALL our Simminng wants. *drops mic* :)

LOL. Oh I agree - creators definitely have a right to feel shafted. There is really nothing much for simmers like you and EHaught to enjoy in Sims 4. Fingers crossed everyday that radically changes regardless of what it entails. If the creators can do their thing it seems all simmers benefit in the long run. So I get that - but what I was trying to express is these things can not be expected to be done in a stuff pack either. That was my point.

Quite frankly given the choice I would much rather be playing a Rflong made Sims 4 world with tons of empty and filled lots, filled with both Rflong and Ehaught lots over anything else. What a day that would be. Surely as big as the day we got toddlers that brought tears to my eyes - likewise on seeing my good friend here happy and able to do what you both do best. I savor that day.

In dreams - I LIVE!