Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

do you change hair with age?

aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,104 Member
I realize I really don't change the hairstyle of my sims, especially males, as they get older. But now with the more "trendy" hairstyles, it's a bit weird to have my male elder wear a fade and quiff. Not that it can't happen in real life, but it's unlikely. I never use the bald hairs, and not because I wouldn't, but because it's not gradual enough for me to just go from full hair to bald after one birthday.

What about you guys?
Post edited by EA_Mako on

Comments

• Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I do sometimes. I usually change clothing to be more age appropriate as well, so occasionally I'll change their hairstyle if I think they've outgrown it.
  • Options
    Meegie1977Meegie1977 Posts: 224 Member
    I very rarely change the men's hair when they age. But I do often change the womens. I usually have young adults and adults with long hair and I hate long hair on elders, so change it to a short bob-style hairstyle. I think most of the men's can still look age appropriate for elders. :)
  • Options
    Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    Sometimes. It depends on how the sim looks with the hair.
    wotgen6.gif?w=656
  • Options
    basslinewildbasslinewild Posts: 268 Member
    Usually I just leave their hairstyle the same throughout their life. The only time I really change hairstyles is when they become teens.
    Tessa :)
    Gallery items under : TessaNicolle
    Check out my houses!
  • Options
    Lex2221Lex2221 Posts: 972 Member
    I always do as my sims age as far as townies it depends on if I care or not at the moment. Here lately they've really been irritating me for some reason so I've been spending a lot of time fixing them.
    2ahzmo1.gif
  • Options
    ArtsyBananaArtsyBanana Posts: 339 Member
    Usually only in the "Child - Teen" age transition is when I change their hairstyle. I do that because it reflects some people I knew IRL that suddenly have different hairstyles in High-school.
    See what's up in my gallery: Origin ID: ArtsyBanana
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)
    https://imgur.com/L3Q6aQZ

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    i change the clothing, but not really the hair, no.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited March 2017
    I change hairstyles sometimes. Age is one reason but sometimes I just do it for a different look.

I do often switch my elders back to their younger hair color. I just say that they dye it. Also, I tend to give the women a makeover - less trendy, hard eyeliner and more of a soft, elegant look. I'd like to see some softer neutral eye shadows both for them and for some of the younger sims, perhaps along the lines of Urban Decay.

Most of my older ladies are not rocking electric blue eye shadow if I can help it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I play with aging off so this rarely comes into question, but yes, I would change an elder's hair at least.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I will give my sims haircuts that seem more age appropriate. For male sims I also roll a D20 when they become adults, and then again when they become elders. If at either time the number comes up as even the sim begins to experience male pattern baldness.
  • Options
    nakibotnakibot Posts: 176 Member
    Very rare that I do.
  • Options
    ShanEnriShanEnri Posts: 61 Member
    Sometimes I'll change the length, for example, females get longer hair and the males usually get a cut.
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Nah. I get used to my Sims having a particular hairstyle, and if I did a different hairstyle, it just wouldn't feel like them. Probably a bit too OCD, lol.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I give my Sims makeovers whenever they age up and when i feel like they've exhausted wearing certain outfits and I've seen them too much.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    I do change the hair but I don't usually make males bald. I did just give am older adult the receding hairline look
  • Options
    Nephesh_SpiritNephesh_Spirit Posts: 254 Member
    I tend to change it here and there regardless of what life-stage they are in. Sometimes I just feel they need a change.
    The Lockwood Family Tree

• Options
    ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    My Sims keep their hairstyle for as long as I play them. I have aging off and always choose the most flattering style in the beginning so I stick to it.

Some female hairstyles don't look very appropriate for sleeping, swimming or the gym so I'll choose an alternative to the more elaborate day/evening style.

When I makeover Townies I like the more mature Sims to have hairstyles and attire that reflects their maturity :smile:
    Don't feed the trolls
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,409 Member
    Not always, but when I do I've always found the make overs worth it. It's actually fun to give them more mature look while still trying to maintain their own style. Sometimes they may start wearing a t-shirt from their previous everyday outfit as a sleepwear for example.
  • Options
    SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    edited March 2017
    I will change both men & women's hairstyles as they age up from Teen to YA. As a YA, both genders will change their hairstyles 2-4 times, then again once they become Adults. Once they are adults, I only change their hairstyles if I am tired of looking at them w/the current hairstyle. Finally, when they become Elders... I change their hairstyles to something they probably didn't have up until this point. Many of my Elder sim women have shoulder length hairstyles as I don't buy into what society "says" is appropriate for their age bracket. Same goes for Elder men... I never use the bald look though... hate it.
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    Changing the hairstyle is one of my favourite things to do when aging up a sim! Since I play with aging off I grow tried of seeing my sims in the same look after awhile so when I age them up it's a chance to try a new, refreshing look.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    snootypatootysnootypatooty Posts: 499 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    I realize I really don't change the hairstyle of my sims, especially males, as they get older. But now with the more "trendy" hairstyles, it's a bit weird to have my male elder wear a fade and quiff. Not that it can't happen in real life, but it's unlikely. I never use the bald hairs, and not because I wouldn't, but because it's not gradual enough for me to just go from full hair to bald after one birthday.

What about you guys?

I have to change their hair because each time my sims age up they get some weird and wacked out hair do it doesn't stay the same on my sims

The mind will ever be unstable that has only prejudices to rest on, and the current will run with destructive fury when there are no barriers to break its force.
    My website bit.ly/185bQS My Chat website bit.ly/1NiCwCb My Blog bit.ly/OuqF0Y
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited March 2017
    My teen and young adult Sims usually have similar hairstyles, but I always change it up the moment a Sim starts to have children... lol I don't really do the "cool parent" looks. By the time my Sims are elders, I try my best to do a variety of balding, receding, and regular hairstyles for my male sims. The female Sims vary between short and long hair (but usual shorter). I sometimes make my older Sims wear glasses as well. I try my best to consider realism when I play my game.

I think it would actually be interesting if there were more receding hairstyles for the male Sims. It would definitely make the game more realistic when it comes to adult and elder males.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,409 Member
    kokoro80 wrote: »
    I pretty much always change the hairstyle according to age, both for men and ladies, I also use the grey/brown, grey/black hair colors to transition dark haired sims nearing the end of the adult stage to grey elders. I have used the balding hairstyles quite frequently. I also often add glasses and update clothing to be age appropriate. For me it gives a more gradual feel to the age transition. I play on long life span.

Early in YA stage
    Y8pj67n.png

Late in YA stage
    2cEVNWp.png

Mid-to-late Adult
    zsqVOaE.png
    C3mjikb.png

Late Adult about to become elder
    xS7CsBt.png

Early in Elder stage
    oKprdCu.png

Mid Elder stage
    wxDRaG7.png

Late Elder
    nwnpZA3.png

I love how you did the changes for your sims, perfect!
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    I do for Sims I'm actively playing with some frequency, but not for others. For my regularly played Sims, I like to play out the whole changing-through-your-life process. With Sims I more often just interact with or see around, I'll change their clothes if they're strikingly inappropriate but rarely their hair - nothing that makes it take longer to recognize them at a glance.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top