Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

do you change hair with age?

13...Next

Comments

• BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    It depends whether the hair is at the core of their identity, or whether a certain haircut is just a phase. It's like a signature outfit: it stays until there's a change in their essential character.

It's like how you might give a sim a career but know it's not their permanent career. If you go from artist to military, or vice versa, maybe hair follows.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I change the hair when a baby turns into a toddler, then again when they are a child, and when they turn into a teen.
    Sometimes I will keep a teen's hairstyle throughout their lives, even through young adult, and adult.
    Other times I will change their hairstyle on a whim to fit their current stage of life.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    Thread from 2017 gets a half dozen new answers to the 5 year old original post, but no one answers the question from the person who necro'd it yet. Poor @emks18 .
    emks18 wrote: »
    I know this is a really old thread - but I'd love to find out what hairstyle you've used for your mid-to-late adult man. It's perfect for a sim I'm building but I can't find it anywhere

I recognize the hair you asked about, but until I get home and can open the game I don't know for sure where it's from.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Manileno88Manileno88 Posts: 17 Member
    I change their hairstyle even without aging.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    I know this is a really old thread - but I'd love to find out what hairstyle you've used for your mid-to-late adult man. It's perfect for a sim I'm building but I can't find it anywhere

For that age I normally use hairstyles from the short hair category, but not the super short or the modern man bun or similar styles, just what rl man usually have, it could also include hair loss. But it depends on the character, bad boys who were committed in violence get super short hair or no hair, my hippies keep their medium or long hair. In general I like the medium hair category most.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022

Oh, crud, just realized you were looking at the man and I was looking at the woman. haha

I did not recognize the male hair, but fortunately it is NOT CC. It's from the Spa Day pack, and one of only 3 masculine short hairstyles in the pack. Easy to find if you set your filters for masculine, short, hairstyles if you already have Spa Day.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I will if the hairstyle they had before looks odd on them as an elder. What the game can't reflect is that one reason people don't just wear "youthful" hairstyles as they age, is that their hair texture, thickness, and distribution changes as they age, not just the color.

So people can color their hair but they can't make hair that has gone thin, wispy, and frizzled in texture, look like shiny, thick, healthy young-person hair again. Some people are lucky enough to still have thick full shiny hair even when it goes white or grey but that is rare.

Long hair, when it's wispy and frizzled and greying, looks witchy, which is why there are very few people sporting long hair in advanced age, and those who do almost never wear it down, but instead opt for a bun, braid, or some other way of containing it rather than leaving it loose.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Yes.
    Toddlers get matched as close as possible to children. Teens to Adult remain the same.
    Mature Adult to Seniors get white hair or platium hair color.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I always review all my sims in cas when aging up it may not always mean changing their hair or outfits but usually something changes in cas to reflect ageing up.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    Yes, I do tend to change out more than just the hair. I also change out their clothing. I start with the Toddler that just aged up. They put them into the most gawd-awful combinations that I just can't stand it. Sometimes, it's also a nice little break from actual gameplay to make sure my Sims are all properly outfitted for age, et al.

My Teen Global Superstar wore his just past the shoulder-length hair until I deemed he was about 30 years old. Then he wore it tied back and he let his beard grow from scruff to more of a beard with the same profile. He also wore a more sophisticated line of clothing. Oh, he still has his jeans and all, but he dresses more his age.

With his father, I gave him that haircut that mixes the grey into it. I also noticed, (since his household isn't active) that upon aging to Elder, his beard went white. He looked very debonair, and I approved. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited January 2022
    I have aging turned off usually for my main save. But, I occasionally change some of my sims hair styles ( I play rotationally ). Too bad we don’t have a hair stylist career. Some of my sims have different hair styles for different outfits. If I go into CAs to change a sims clothes I may change the hairstyle too. Mostly with females though. I don’t change mens styles as often.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    I've never tried changing her hairstyle yet (my main sim is the one on my profile pic). On her wedding day, I might give her an updo. When she'll turn to elderly, I might give her a short hair.
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    edited January 2022
    I usually give my sims makeovers throughout their lives, when they age up or after a big milestone like graduating university, getting married, having kids. etc. to make it look like they’re aging more gradually. Sometimes I change hairstyles with these makeovers and sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I’ll also change their hair if a new pack/update comes out and there’s a hair I think really suits them. That usually doesn’t involve a full-on makeover.

I do also give a lot of my female sims different hairstyles with different outfits. Like for example I might tie their hair up for their athletic outfit or give them a fancier style for their formal outfit. I don’t do it with all of them, though.
  • ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    Except Caleb Vatore, I always make my Sims to change their hairstyles
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited January 2022
    My Sims rarely age so they always have the same hair once I choose it. I just discovered an amazing CC creator, Clumsy Alien, who makes hair that fits in perfectly with Maxis Sim hair so I've changed a lot of hair recently. I also don't change Caleb's hair though lol. I think his hairstyle is too defining or something for him to change. Caleb's hair and Vlad's coat are two things I never change with my Vampire Sims.
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I change my sims' hairstyles pretty frequently throughout their lives. Admittedly, my feminine sims are likely to see more frequent changes. I also replace an outfit or two in each category each season.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    Nope, I'm lazy. I do change my elders' outfits though when they age up.

I don't get elders in my game. My sims never die. But in the past when I did allow them to age up, their clothes would change by itself and the hair would turn grey. Has that changed? IDK
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    I mostly forget, but I try to adjust their looks a few years before they grow elderly. Depending on personality; less makeup, more modest hairstyle, perhaps a bit grey-ish hair, men might get bald, some wrinkles added, glasses, and clothes will adjust accordingly. In my game I keep track on extra DNA for each sim, so I will know who needs glasses, who gets poor hair growth.

Based on the DNA I also know who will look great even if they turn 70 ;) *not looking at you, Judith*

My sim is like the Highlander Duncan McCloud. There can be only one. He'll never die. He'll age to the full Adult stage, then I'll make him immortal. Then he'll live in a world where everyone dies around him, but he lives on. So in essence I'm the Sims version of Duncan McCloud of the clan McCloud. But the NPC sims hair does change color to a grey.
  • EA_MakoEA_Mako Posts: 846 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks,

I'm closing this thread to prevent it from being necro'd further as it's quite old.

Feel free to create a new or updated version of the thread if you'd like to continue the discussion, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top