Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For how long do you usually play one family? Are you always "attached"?

Comments

• Options
    simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    In a way I've been playing the same family for years. It's hard to explain (and I even get confused lol). But all the sims I've played in the past 2 years have descended somehow from this one sim named Scarlett. And she was third gen or so. Anywho, what usually has happened is I'll play her, move onto playing one of her kids. I might even go play one of her grandkids or so but eventually find my way back to playing a different kid of hers or grandkids. And she's had so many kids that most of the sims in the neighborhood are somehow related even if the game doesn't recognize it. xD

Like right now I have two sims about to get married. They're both her great grandchildren but because of the game cutting off ties they're not registered as related.
  • Options
    koalasimskoalasims Posts: 76 Member
    I only bought TS4 earlier this month so I haven't actually played very long with any family haha. I've been mostly building and trying to make custom content :smiley:

My younger sister plays TS4 more traditionally I guess, she likes to spend time making sims but she actually lets their lives play out.

• Options
    CourtLuvesSimsCourtLuvesSims Posts: 54 Member
    I get pretty attached. I usually fill up a neighborhoods with only my own sims. Then I play the neighborhood rotationally and no one ever ever dies or even becomes an elder.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I have one main save with a handful of families I play rotationally, and another couple of saves. Lately I've been playing another save with just one family that started with one sim to do a "Whims" challenge but after that was completed I let the Whim sim die. I kept on playing her child and now she has a family. I don't do formal Legacies with points etc. but just keep on going.

While I do get attached to my sims, some more than others, I have never played with aging off and always normal lifespan or even shorter. I will keep them going with Potions of Youth if I am more attached but in the end I let all of my elders die eventually. I love seeing the cycle of life continue and I am at generation 5 with my main save.
  • Options
    arianarenee9arianarenee9 Posts: 19 New Member
    This topic has always interested me because I'm the exact same way, but my sister will play one family for years. I think I have a semi answer to that problem.

I make families, and are usually done with the family all in one gaming session. I usually download a family or sim from the gallery, switch up their traits, cheat in some money, move them into a nice house, and that's about it.The only way that I've kept a family going is if there are affairs, divorce's, scandals. That's just the player I am.

My sister will spend hours creating one sim. She takes time, builds a backstory, finds traits that are just the right fit for the sim. She then will spend another few hours on building and buying a house. Within a month, the most progression she's gotten in a sim game is having some friends.
    Her play style is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I've tried and failed to do the legacy challenge, but I wanted this time too actually accomplish it.

I decided to play like how she played. Although I did download a sim off of the gallery, I took time and edited, I came up with a backstory, (essentially I treated it as if I were doing Let's Play's on Youtube and I had to tell my "audience" the backstory of my sim) I went into small details when picking trait's. I asked myself 'WHY is he an athletic sim. WHY is he a family orientated sim. WHY is he ambitious. Those little details add to the backstory of your sim. I then thought about my goals with this sim. What career? Who is he? What does he want in life? I made him come alive basically.
    I moved him into the world, and bought him a very small house (I did buy it unfurnished, but spent probably 10 minutes furnishing. I can't get into the details like my sister can.) I never did any money cheats. He would go day's without showering, hoping to get a promotion to level up. I usually fast forward a lot, but I didn't this time. He eventually met and moved in with Penny Pizazz (albeit it was fast and this is reverting back to my ways.) It was a lot of fun. She mentored him in cooking, and they played video games together. I would actually take the time to take them on dates. She fell pregnant, and knowing my sim, I knew he would marry her. They were in love. They saved up enough to have a wedding, and move into a bigger house. I focused on their careers, leveling up skills, relationship's, and how they can best parent their first born daughter.
    They went on to have a set of boy twins, adopt a toddler girl, and have another set of boy girl twins.

I'm now on my second generation. I fell in love with each and every sim of my first generation. It's been about three weeks with this family (which is definitely not as huge as the fact that some people have had their generations for years, but definitely and accomplishment for my game!) and I'm STILL excited to go on each day and play with all of them. They each have their own story, relationship, skill levels and careers.
    I invested my thoughts, ideas, energy and love into each sim and I realized that I got attached, and it's way more fun this way(:
    I'm definitely not saying that I won't ever get bored of this family, or I won't move on quickly, but the sim's is definitely not a game that you can put minimal effort in for greater reward(:

tldr; pretend you're a youtuber and go over in great detail the story of your sims life like how youtubers do. Spend time creating that attachment to sims. It doesn't just happen automatically.

p.s. i spent more time writing this than I have on essays this whole year. :D
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I've always been "attached". Enough to play for as long as the games are being releases. I blame my friend for that who introduced me to sims. Can't remember sims 1 anymore but I played S1 and Sims 2 on her computer with her by my side and she always told me to use the youth potion not to age my sims.
    In Sims 3 I started with a few families several times and tried to keep a legacy going but got too attached.
    In Sims 4 I'm at generation 11. I get excited about birthdays but kinda don't like elders so I'm glad when they die lol
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    kodachrome35kodachrome35 Posts: 25 Member
    I rotated a lot in TS1, but started focusing on just a few families in TS2, especially once I came across the Legacy challenge. Once TS3 came out, I liked Story Progression and wanted it on for the rest of my town, but didn't like the idea of certain families being out-of-sync with the rest of the neighborhood if I rotated through multiple. So, now I just have one family that I focus on unless something happens (historically, hardware problems that require a clean wipe), and follow that family through for generations.

It's interesting how Story Progression changed the way I played and viewed family members. In TS2, I hated the idea of unplayed people on my family tree being children/young adults when their great-great-nephews or whatever were elders, so I'd drown anyone I didn't intend on playing with long-term. If the house ended up becoming too crowded, whoever was the ugliest, most high-maintenance or annoying in some fashion would end up on the chopping block. Competition for "heir" status was intense, and I quickly developed love-hate relationships with the chosen and, uh, not chosen.

Once Story Progression came into play, though, it was a bit of a relief not to have to ruthlessly murder everyone, and it was nice to see the rest of my family branch off and grow. I still don't play with the "not chosen" ever, but they keep a special place in my heart as I see them around the neighborhood :smile:
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    I have such bad OCD, that everytime i get on the sims 4 i end up deleting the sim and starting over. i think the longest i have played with a sim is like about 3 weeks lol im pretty bad when it comes to playing the sims yet i love it. i remember in the sims 2 when you couldnt just delete a save you actually had to uninstall all the packs and reinstall them. i would reinstall like everying couple days. dont judge me judge my OCD lol

I am the same way! I have terrible OCD and I delete ALL the time and I have for the past 12 or so years that I have been a "simmer".
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    I become attached to my family especially if I play them for a long time. I try to create them from my best interests, so I can relate to them or to play my game solely.
  • Options
    AnonypigAnonypig Posts: 62 Member
    When I first started I stuck with a household for a month or more, but lately I've had a hard time sticking to a family for more than a few days. I just love the creation process so much that it's difficult to resist making new ones.
    But even if I'm not playing a family, I do like running into them in parks, etc.
  • Options
    Sonata13SingerSonata13Singer Posts: 183 Member
    I usually make several families and the one I like the most will populate the whole town (or a lot of it). The family I like the most will be the most successful.
    3ZWheQM.gif
    Origin ID: Sonata13Singer

I also create music and art (search up Sona13Singer on google... but I haven't been uploading a lot recently)
  • Options
    thesimspiethesimspie Posts: 64 Member
    1. Spends long time making sims.
    2. Feels like long is the only life span that is long enough.
    3. Plays for a while until is maybe 30 sim days in.
    4. New GP/EP comes along
    5. MUST make new family to explore features. :D
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are," -Teddy Roosevelt

I'm reading the Infernal Devices. I haven't ever read the Mortal Instruments. I hope that's alright... ;)
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    edited May 2017
    After the few generations that I'm playing, I decide to restart it all! It's something that I'm always going to do, since I get confused and I love a fresh start with new characters. I'm never going to go through decades of generations, I would get so bored from it!
  • Options
    KlueniiKluenii Posts: 90 Member
    I've played the same family since I started playing sims 4. Currently in the 8th generation, and my heir just married, hoping she will produce the 9th generation once Parenthood hits and the alien bug is fixed up. My family has a good portion of alien genetics and every time I take a family member into CAS I lose my human disguises so I've been holding off playing my saved game for the time being. Hoping to get back to it soon!
  • Options
    kristal2424kristal2424 Posts: 131 Member
    for sims 3 about 4 months and sims 4 almost a month
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    thesimspie wrote: »
    1. Spends long time making sims.
    2. Feels like long is the only life span that is long enough.
    3. Plays for a while until is maybe 30 sim days in.
    4. New GP/EP comes along
    5. MUST make new family to explore features. :D

That is me all of the way. But I am sure it's going to finally change now, because I am enjoying myself more.
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm on the same families from when I first got TS4... :mask: : yah I cheat, but I get attached to them and I guess I'm playing it realistically you could say :blush:

I had this one family I absolutely adored in TS3, and my brother somehow managed to screw everything up, I lost all my CC, my save files. T.T I was gutted, and to this day I'm still getting CC back for TS3 *cries* I'll never be able to recreate what I had with that family, it sounds stupid but I was so connected to them and their story. I am slowly building this with my current family, but it is not the same, I don't have the storytelling tools at hand with TS4 to do this yet e.g. a big part of my TS3 story was based in University.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    vickyloovickyloo Posts: 134 Member
    I chop and change sims all the time, I always get right into a career, get married, have a child and then move on to another family lol. I am trying to change this though with doing the legacy and 100 baby challenge, so hopefully i will get attached to one of the families so ill stick at it lol
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I tend to get bored with saves and delete them for a new one -- the farthest I've gotten with a family is the third generation. I'm thinking Parenthood's going to make it easier for me to stay with a family for longer because of the increased gameplay potentials within my families. My current save I have 3 families I'll be playing in rotation -- it was originally going to be two but a bit of a wrench got thrown in the works when Cassidy Purdue got pregnant with Gunther Munch's child, when Gunther was already married to Summer (nee Holiday) and step-dad to her two baby boys from Gavin Richards. (Oh, MC Command, you are so gloriously unpredictable...) I haven't yet decided if Gunther's going to leave Summer and move in with/marry Cassidy, so for now she's going to be a single mom while trying to finish up the Social Media career (nice thing is she can work from home until her child goes off to school). I really like the CL career system so I may have her become a food critic next. The other household in my rotation is Cassidy's brother Ollie and his wife Aicha -- they'll be more of a traditional family.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    mctsimmermctsimmer Posts: 277 Member
    I play the same family, the Daniels since Sims 4 started. I have allowed the sims to dictate what they do in the game. I use mc command and it adds some crazy romantic connections. Before I added mc command I made sure to rotate between households by creating different situations. I have great sim family combination with Daniels mixed with Goth, Caliente, and Lothario blood. And I'll let you know this made the best-looking Sims I have ever seen. They have black or red hair, green eyes and great jawlines.

Rich people storylines are boring, so I make it difficult for them, by taking away their money. I make eight sims live in a two bedroom apartment with one job between them. It is harder doing it since City Living, because I have sims get to Artist level 10 on their own and they make too much money.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I play rotational style. I tend to lose interest in playing the household when they get kids. But that's not to say that I am not attached to my sims. I am very attached to one sim named Frank Miner. I'm attached to others I create as well too, but he's a special one in S4.

I don't know why I lose interest after they have kids, but it's been that way for me for a very long time. At least since S2, and maybe even back to S1.

I like the idea of setting them up with their perfect partner, but as soon as a kid joins the house? I'm bored! I want them to be back without them again. lol
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    40 households (at the moment) in strict rotation. Once a household is entered into rotation they stay there, so I play them and their offspring forever or until the family line dies off. Aging on for current played household only, and I play each for one sim week. :)

I have been playing this way since TS2.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Despite my best efforts & intentions, I seldom make it through the second generation. When I'm playing a family I want a single, when I'm playing a single I want a family. I never delete any of them though, I just keep them in the library until I'm ready to play them again.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,759 Member
    I been playing this current legacy save (hopefully I can get commentators on my thread soon..) since Dec since I goofed Dec 4th and saved over the previous save of it
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited June 2017
    I made my family the Porters in the CAS demo back in August 2014. They've remained my favourite family (I've restarted them 3 times), added a grandma, neighbours and friends.

28101261221_8b48af4875_o.png

28184215611_38e04d1798_o.png

I'm having a break from them to explore other families I've made, but I'll always come back to them. :heart:

PS. The kids are my avi now!