Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Team, really? Bowling? ~_~

Comments

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited March 2017
    There are bowling alleys around DC. Lol.

I'll admit that when I first heard that this stuff pack is coming out, I thought, "What? Really?" Then I thought it over and could see - like others have mentioned - that it is a flexible activity that appeals to all ages. I do hope that it comes with a proper venue. That's my one complaint about Movie Hangouts. I am downloading from the gallery now but I agree that I'd like to see a venue and the ability to add bowling to houses or other venues. My makeshift cinema has a blank area for that.

I agree that in some places bowling is very popular, especially places with snowy winters. Hopefully it's a foreshadowing of Seasons. I lived for a while in a place where bowling was very, very popular. The bowling alley was like a nightclub with waiters carrying drinks around on trays from a full service bar. On Friday and Saturday night, it turned into a massive party and local celebrities would turn up. Erm, I went on regular dates there. Lol. It wasn't that long ago.

The selling off of popular aspects of the game piecemeal is a fair point. It's a central controversy in their approach. It's up to each player to decide what to buy and when. I'm holding off on some of the SPs, for example, until I want to drop $10 on whatever item it is. It's easier to do that with $10 than $40 though and they know that.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    There are bowling alleys around DC. Lol.

I'll admit that when I first heard that this stuff pack is coming out, I thought, "What? Really?" Then I thought it over and could see - like others have mentioned - that it is a flexible activity that appeals to all ages. I do hope that it comes with a proper venue. That's my one complaint about Movie Hangouts. I am downloading from the gallery now but I agree that I'd like to see a venue and then the ability to add bowling to houses or other venues. My makeshift cinema has a blank area for that.

I agree that in some places bowling is very popular, especially places with snowy winters. Hopefully it's a foreshadowing of Seasons. I lived for a while in a place where bowling was very, very popular. The bowling alley was like a nightclub with waiters carrying drinks around on trays from a full service bar. On Friday and Saturday night, it turned into a massive party and local celebrities would turn up. Erm, I went on regular dates there. Lol. It wasn't that long ago.

The selling off of popular aspects of the game piecemeal is a fair point. It's a central controversy in their approach. It's up to each player to decide what to buy and when. I'm holding off on some of the SPs, for example, until I want to drop $10 on whatever item it is. It's easier to do that with $10 than $40 though and they know that.

There's one. And it's in Chinatown.
  • Options
    kmariakmaria Posts: 282 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    @kmaria - Gurus spend most of their time on twitter. Most of them only come to the officials when there's a patch or a pack as been released.

I loved bowling growing up. I used to go midnight bowling throughout my teens. I miss it!

Right... :) What I said was, it would be nice to have the blog updated or word of an announcement happening soon.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    kmaria wrote: »
    @kmaria - Gurus spend most of their time on twitter. Most of them only come to the officials when there's a patch or a pack as been released.

I loved bowling growing up. I used to go midnight bowling throughout my teens. I miss it!

Right... :) What I said was, it would be nice to have the blog updated or word of an announcement happening soon.

Glad you mentioned teens...they really did need a group oriented fun place to hang.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    [/quote]

Yeah, but if you go into the suburbs/broader area, there are others. Not intending to be snarky. I'll admit that there isn't a bowling alley in, say, Adams Morgan or Georgetown but there are some around the region out in NOVA or MD.

If they were building it based on things that are popular in DC, then they should make a partying baseball stadium and hockey rink ... which admittedly wouldn't be a bad idea. I've said in another thread that I'd love ice skating both as figure-skating and hockey.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options

Yeah, but if you go into the suburbs/broader area, there are others. Not intending to be snarky. I'll admit that there isn't a bowling alley in, say, Adams Morgan or Georgetown but there are some around the region out in NOVA or MD.

If they were building it based on things that are popular in DC, then they should make a partying baseball stadium and hockey rink ... which admittedly wouldn't be a bad idea. I've said in another thread that I'd love ice skating both as figure-skating and hockey.
    [/quote]

Exactly. I wonder why? Probably because it's not popular. Not trying to be snarky either, but it proves my point.

Anyway, I like ice skating too. Have you been to the rink in Crystal city? Now that's fun.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    meeoun wrote: »

Exactly. I wonder why? Probably because it's not popular. Not trying to be snarky either, but it proves my point.

Anyway, I like ice skating too. Have you been to the rink in Crystal city? Now that's fun.
    [/quote]

Skating would offer more overall flexibility since as others have mentioned it can be done outside the venue so it's a great choice.
    I've been racking my brain trying to find a Sim appropriate group activity better than bowling..and honestly I'm not coming up with much.
    The one's I am coming up with are mostly scaled down versions of other sports.

Stuff we do in groups in RL is pretty much already covered and the one's that aren't don't translate very well as they would involve a Sim sitting in a venue not actively participating.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,553 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    I've been racking my brain trying to find a Sim appropriate group activity better than bowling..and honestly I'm not coming up with much.
    The one's I am coming up with are mostly scaled down versions of other sports.

Stuff we do in groups in RL is pretty much already covered and the one's that aren't don't translate very well.
    I agree.

There are a few other things they could do, I guess, like the ice skating, maybe archery or rock wall climbing, martial arts would be great. But out of them all I think bowling is probably the best one as a group activity.

It would be nice in the future if they brought in things like canoeing/kayaking, cricket, rounders/baseball, tennis etc. but those things would be too difficult to include in a stuff pack imo and some of them, as you said, would not translate very well in any event.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sports so far have always been about animations for this game (please correct me if I'm wrong; mind you, I am aware they can win or lose, but that seems to be rather random to me, not based on actual gameplay). I regret that. The great thing about sports is the competition element. If they add that aspect, any sport could be fun.

They could tie in the bowling skill with the general fitness skill (or Motor for children) similar to what they did with the water slide in Backyard Stuff; the higher the Fitness/Motor skill the more successful one is at bowling (and less chance of fails).
    Winning or losing has always been tied to skills in Sims and though I like building skills, as far as the sports go, that is a bit boring. Because you press the button and the skilled ones will win. Skills most certainly must be important, but I'd also like some sort of a minigame aspect. Like when you play a golf game it's important how you aim (which would also fit for bowling), in a football game it's important who you put in your team. And the more skilled the sim, the more effect that will have. A bit like Angry Birds really :p

(come to think of it, the riding school had an aspect like that to it, the player having to make decisions)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Bowling will always find its way into the game. My only beef is that it's coming in the form of a stuff pack. Bowling warrants its own venue, and to date no SP has introduced a new venue type. This will probably be a stuff pack intended to have "basement" bowling alleys, or makeshift alleys at venues where they don't really make sense.

I don't plan on buying it. IMO this content could have, and would have made more sense in a "night out" venue game pack with different venues all holding unique purposes. Getting a bowling alley + some decor doesn't interest me on it's own.

Bingo, I'm not a fan of functional items being moved to Stuff Packs. It seems like a move made in the interest of sales rather than being one in the interest of production or satisfying customers.

I've always just skipped Stuff Packs because I don't care about retextures or getting more stuff. What the base game and expansions provide is more than enough to satisfy me. With Sims 4 though, suddenly they've got the Butler and bowling in stuff packs. This simply hasn't happened before, the closest probably being that Fast Lane stuff for Sims 3 had a trait (that was later patched in to everyone).

My question is what's next? Do we NEED to buy a stuff pack to get a pool table? Do we NEED to buy a stuff pack to get a car and a garage? Do we NEED to buy a stuff pack to get a genie in a lamp that grants wishes...?

It all just seems like an effort to get more people to buy stuff packs, and what I hate is it seems to be working. Everyone's too busy praising stuff packs for being "more interesting" without recognizing that the stuff packs are not bringing new content to the table, they're bringing back fan favorites. That does not mean some innovation went on to brainstorm new features, that means some guy in a suit said "hey if we move the Butler from City Living into Vintage Glamour, we can get $10 more per customer."

Stuff packs sold in Sims 2 and Stuff packs sold in Sims 3. On both counts, they focused on what they promised: stuff. Instead, now they seem to be sloooooowly beginning a pattern to grab more and more "important" (aka popular, fan favorite) gameplay features to try and entice more customers to buy. No, screw that, I hate that practice, I'm not buying a single stuff pack in protest. As I said though, unfortunately it seems to be working, as much of the community is just excited to see content and glosses over the fact that Sims 4 is going to demolish the record for most stuff packs for a game while utilizing items we used to see packaged with expansion packs.

I hear what your saying. It certainly is an interesting startegy on their part.
    I think it is designed to capitalize on the Simmer that must have everything.
    From that perspective it does seem a bit opportunistic but consumers do get to put a check mark in the win category as well.

As long as what they are doing doesn't diminish the quality or quantity of objects we would normally get in an EP then I think everyone has a bit of upside here.

They are just setting certain things aside and saying...look here's an object we know they don't use a lot when we bundle it in the larger package that would help add value to our Stuff Packs.

So they're saying we know people didn't buy those EP's for the bowling alley.
    Let's set that aside as a bonus for those buying the stuff pack.

From the perspective of the handfull of fans that absoulutely loved bowling and did get the EP's just for that feature...now they get it for ten bucks.

So as long as what they're doing isn't cutting into what they are offering with the EP's I see it as a win/ win

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Yeah, I overexaggrated perhaps :) Though, bowling is still something cool to-do in my country.

That's great there's some people that like it. And sure, we can use the "bowling is popular where I live" Trojan horse to counter my popularity argument. But STILL, out of all activities you could do, you would choose bowling? Yeah O-K.

Our sims in this iteration have very little to do as a "group" and it's bothersome that the team is wasting time making a rehashed feature of a sport that's "meh" here in the states. I mean, gee I don't see EA Sports coming out with any Bowling games.

Wth Sims Team? **
    Challenge this game's engine and your coding expertise to give us a sports activity that our sims as a group (not turn base) can do "together" that's new to the franchise. And relatively popular.

Excuse you, lady. I live "here is the states" as well and bowling is still very popular. A lot of young people enjoy playing it and I'm one of them.
    With that being said, you have all the right to have your own opinion about bowling, but, BUT, don't tell people that the thing that they enjoy is extremely boring and lame.

For example, how would you feel if I told you that the only people that like cosmopolitan are braindead valley girls? Doesn't feel too good, does it?

I wasn't addressing my post to the people that like bowling, Princess Vee. I was it addressing it to the Sims Team [hence my title] that I don't like it and my reason why. It's boring to me, not a soul I know plays it and I only see old people play the one near my place. That's not subjective, that's fact.

For the record I like Vogue a bit more. Better articles. Regardless I read Cosmo maybe twice. So if you said that if I liked it and I was as such [e.g]
    I'd just smile and say whatever.

Why are people getting so butt hurt over my bowling comment? That's my opinion and that's all that matters to me.
    (^ー^)

Think about some feature you really want in the game and that you'd enjoy...then think of someone else coming along and saying that idea is boring and you can't imagine anyone enjoying it so the developers are wasting time they could be spending on their personal preference rather than yours. That's how your post came across.

As for taking a feature out of an EP and putting it in an SP, that leaves room in that EP for something totally new. If we get a University pack, instead of having to add bowling as an activity, maybe we get bands instead, or more active sports, or some other activity that hasn't been considered before.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Bowling is probably my favourite activity - great for groups and birthday parties. You can find a bowling alley in pretty much any urban area - San Myshuno, anyone? Should EA decide to add seasons bowling is great on those snowy evenings when you just want to get together with the gang.
    And maybe this bowling dealie might include pub food - chicken wings, fried pickles, cheezies, etc.... Can't hurt to keep an open mind.

And don't forget the side objects that could come with a pack like that: claw machines, sticker machines, coin pushers, capsule toy vending machines... Just imagine your sims being able to collect things like stickers, plushies, and sticky bugs and unlocking new CAS parts like chunky clear plastic novelty rings, tacky plastic bead bracelets, and plastic pacifier necklaces! XD That would be so cool!

I'd love to see a return of the claw machine -- Sims with the Evil trait or maybe with high Mischief skill would have a chance to break into the machine and get a prize without paying for it, or someone who's Clumsy would have a greater chance of fails with the machine.
  • Options
    JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    Well if they made it so you could actually go in the water, there would tons of things to do. They started to do that in TS3, but then went in reverse with TS4. Rafting, tubing, snorkeling, etc.
  • Options
    kmaria wrote: »

I'm figuring the announcement at this point will be next Tuesday, with release the following Tuesday and the March patch next Thursday. There's usually only a 1 week time period between announcement and release for stuff packs.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Is this a joke? Are we really getting bowling for our next pack?

Who even plays bowling anymore?? I live downtown DC, and there's like one bowling alley connected to a movie theater AND it's either completely dead or full of old people.

Couldn't we have like...I don't know... another vacation destination? a sports pack?! Like soccer or football or even tennis? You know? A popular sport people actually play these days?
    :/

It seems like Bowling is not your thing, but please do not assume that it is only for old people as you say, it is for the whole family, I know plenty of families who still go bowling and eat out at the same place, it is not your thing I get it, but that does not mean others do not like it thanks, :)
  • Options

Who even plays bowling anymore?? I live downtown DC, and there's like one bowling alley connected to a movie theater AND it's either completely dead or full of old people.

Couldn't we have like...I don't know... another vacation destination? a sports pack?! Like soccer or football or even tennis? You know? A popular sport people actually play these days?

It seems like Bowling is not your thing, but please do not assume that it is only for old people as you say, it is for the whole family, I know plenty of families who still go bowling and eat out at the same place, it is not your thing I get it, but that does not mean others do not like it thanks, :)

I didn't say it's for old people. I said the only people I see at the bowling rink playing near me are old people.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited March 2017

I didn't say it's for old people. I said the only people I see at the bowling rink playing near me are old people.

completely dead or full of old people.
    Full of Old People, is this not the same thing? I would think so, but that is My opinion on the matter, I am not here to argue, just stating My opinion bout what I read, thanks.
  • Options
    SimmeringBreeSimmeringBree Posts: 266 Member
    Yeah, I overexaggrated perhaps :) Though, bowling is still something cool to-do in my country.

That's great there's some people that like it. And sure, we can use the "bowling is popular where I live" Trojan horse to counter my popularity argument. But STILL, out of all activities you could do, you would choose bowling? Yeah O-K.

Our sims in this iteration have very little to do as a "group" and it's bothersome that the team is wasting time making a rehashed feature of a sport that's "meh" here in the states. I mean, gee I don't see EA Sports coming out with any Bowling games.

Wth Sims Team? **
    Challenge this game's engine and your coding expertise to give us a sports activity that our sims as a group (not turn base) can do "together" that's new to the franchise. And relatively popular.

Excuse you, lady. I live "here is the states" as well and bowling is still very popular. A lot of young people enjoy playing it and I'm one of them.
    With that being said, you have all the right to have your own opinion about bowling, but, BUT, don't tell people that the thing that they enjoy is extremely boring and lame.

For example, how would you feel if I told you that the only people that like cosmopolitan are braindead valley girls? Doesn't feel too good, does it?

I wasn't addressing my post to the people that like bowling, Princess Vee. I was it addressing it to the Sims Team [hence my title] that I don't like it and my reason why. It's boring to me, not a soul I know plays it and I only see old people play the one near my place. That's not subjective, that's fact.

For the record I like Vogue a bit more. Better articles. Regardless I read Cosmo maybe twice. So if you said that if I liked it and I was as such [e.g]
    I'd just smile and say whatever.

Why are people getting so butt hurt over my bowling comment? That's my opinion and that's all that matters to me.
    (^ー^)

Tell, em
  • Options
    Misa_wants_PepsiMisa_wants_Pepsi Posts: 229 Member
    If the pack is center around bowling (which I doubt,) then yeah I'd pass on that. But if it's a pack with more activities, like maybe it's an arcade/hangout pack, then i'd be cool with that. Like maybe if they add other stuff like skeeball or arcade machines, or if it's cenetered around the idea of going out to a place like that? Or just a sports pack that adds like tennis, ping pong, football, Soccor ect. Like, give variety for people so they can see what they like, y'know? And so people who want to try bowling can and people who don't care can try other things.
  • Options

Full of Old People, is this not the same thing? I would think so, but that is My opinion on the matter, I am not here to argue, just stating My opinion bout what I read, thanks.

Well. What. You. Thought. You. Read. Was. Wrong.

I said I just see old people at the bowling alley near me. Not that only old people play bowling.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,958 Member

I said I just see old people at the bowling alley near me. Not that only old people play bowling.

Just curious what 'old' is for you? 40's, 50's, 60's?
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Bowling is a classic part of the sims universe. It is kinda like being nostalgic for wall phones and the missed phone calls all the way back to sims1.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member

And so what ? Even if only older generations did like bowling, doesn't it matter to include what they like to do ? The Sims 4 lacks so much stuff for its elders. They count too. Young adult isn't the only generation.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,761 Member
    too bad they couldn't add 5pin bowling as well as 10pin
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    JMConceptJMConcept Posts: 123 Member
    No disrespect but the sims team has become extremely lazy, don't expect a vacation pack better than outdoor retreat.
    a742kT4.jpg