The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Team, really? Bowling? ~_~

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Thats what I've been trying to understand since this the teaser!

what makes bowling so great, that it gets it's own pack?

If you can't see it, it's probably not very explainable for you. :/

But it's at least as complex an object as a waterslide. If it's well-done, more so. You've got all the different ways a Sim might throw the ball; you've got the different ways it might go down the lane (or into the gutter), you've got different ways pins could fall. You've got other Sims there - because bowling is a group activity - who can react in different ways depending on what's happened. And that's just basic bowling.

As for why give it attention? It's a common social activity done by children through elders. It's a party event, a workplace team building event, a high-stakes athletic event, a place to go out with friends for just a night or to meet regularly. It's an obvious place to park your characters you've made from the Flintstones or The Big Lebowski. It's been around for decades, so there's decades-old bowling looks but also very modern ones with lightshows and stuff. Bowling alleys are happening places from midday through nighttime. So there's lots of story possibility you can build around bowling, on top of just enjoying animations for it. (Bowling fail states! I hope there are some good ones.)

I'm plotting to build a bowling alley that's a vampire hangout, personally. My son's idea when I mentioned this is that these are all vampires who turned in whatever time period we get stuff for with this pack (fingers crossed for the 50s!), and they still like bowling.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    Bowling is probably my favourite activity - great for groups and birthday parties. You can find a bowling alley in pretty much any urban area - San Myshuno, anyone? Should EA decide to add seasons bowling is great on those snowy evenings when you just want to get together with the gang.
    And maybe this bowling dealie might include pub food - chicken wings, fried pickles, cheezies, etc.... Can't hurt to keep an open mind.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member

I think the general idea is that there really aren't a whole lot of options for places to go.

A couple times I've said yes to dates without actually looking at the destination and ended up in a Magnolia Falls shopping lot.
    lol... not only was there nothing to do...there was no place to sit.
    I ended up getting silver for the date by cloudgazing the whole time. lol

I'll take the bowling and the goofy looking shoes I guess...seems as good an idea as any.
  • Options
    SimmeringBreeSimmeringBree Posts: 266 Member
    I wasn't too sure about bowling and I'm kind of stuck between by buying a pack because of the sake of TS4 or waiting for something better to come along, what I'm doing know is patiently waiting for pets but honestly since city life I haven't seen it all because my 100 baby challenge is pushing me back so I'm just going to discover more of the city.
  • Options
    JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    People didn't even bowl in my younger days(the 90's). It was mainly a middle aged to old crowd at the bowling alleys.
  • Options
    Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    Now I feel stupid for loving this pack, everyone seem to hate it and think it's stupid. :/
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,265 Member
    No..this is a great idea...they just need to add pool tables..if they're not already in the game. I just have the base- so I don't know. What I do know is that a lot of bowling alleys have pool tables..and POKER machines in the bar section along with arcade machines...this would make the pack desirable.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,164 Member
    Dayvon64 wrote: »
    Now I feel plum for loving this pack, everyone seem to hate it and think it's plum. :/

It really shouldn't matter what others think but I'm really looking forward to it. :)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,164 Member
    edited March 2017
    Jestina wrote: »
    People didn't even bowl in my younger days(the 90's). It was mainly a middle aged to old crowd at the bowling alleys.

No cosmic bowling or children's bowling birthday parties? My son was 6 in 1990 and spent the first half of the decade attending bowling parties and the second half on cosmic bowling with his friends.
  • Options
    JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    I was thinking it must be a hipster thing as that seems to be the ongoing theme of TS4.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't know bowling was so unpopular. I mean I'm a teen and I still go bowling with friends here and there ( although only one of my friends and I are really into it ) Then again, we like all kinds of sports and activities so maybe we're not the most average guys to ask about this.
    However, I'm pretty happy with getting a bowling SP. It's a neat group activity that doesn't seem to cost much to develop as opposed to more complex sports like football or soccer. ( Imagine the amount of rules and scenarios you'd have to implement to keep the games authentic and dynamic ) This is not to say I wouldn't like to see these in the game one day, but I'm also super happy with bowling.

Besides, the theme and outfits we saw so far seems to suggest some 50s vibe which is always appreciated in my book.

I think it's just in decline in metropolitan areas where rents are so expensive.
    Plus there's so much more competition entertainment wise in bigger cities than there is in say rural midwestern US.

Can't speak for other countries but I spent two years in Japan and don't recalll ever seeing a bowling alley.
    With the limited space they have there I doubt there are very many.

Not sure about that -- one of the popular hangouts in San Francisco is the Lucky Strike Bowling center -- it's down near the waterfront right across from the baseball stadium and it's usually quite busy when I walk by. A lot of the urban techies hang out there after work especially -- it's a good place for happy hour get togethers since it's near the train station for those who live on the Peninsula, or it's not that far to BART for East Bay residents.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stacylynn79stacylynn79 Posts: 269 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm all for bowling, and any group sport to be added to the game. My sims will go bowling as a family. The difference between bowling an kickboxing or wrestling or boxing or similar sport is that those are spectator sports, while bowling is a participatory sport. I want my sims family to participate, not go down a proverbial rabbit hole to watch a boxing match, which they could probably watch on the Sports channel, anyway.

I hate sports, irl, but I definitely will take any kind of sport that my sims can participate in, especially as a family, even if it's on an amateur team (I have no faith that the producers would create something this intricate for the game).

I have the bowling alley for the sims 3, and it's great to send my sims there as a leisure activity. It's better if there's more to it. I'm not from DC, but I'm sure that it's not leading the way as far as what's popular IRL goes, no offense.

I've no problem with bowling, IRL. It can be a competitive sport. In my sims game, I want it, because it's something fun for my sims to do.

I also want them to add a golfing screen. I don't know what they're called. Some places have large screens where you can play a game of golf without being on a course. It's all digital or something. I think this will be cool for my sims.

Edit for a typo.
    Post edited by stacylynn79 on
  • Options

It's a stuff pack -- it's not a game pack or expansion, so it's a simple theme to be developed. It's been popular in past Sims games, but you had to buy expansions to get it (Hot Date in Sims 2 and Uni Life in Sims 3), so maybe they decided it was popular enough to stand alone for only $10. Plus, the most recent stuff packs have had a couple of gameplay items so maybe we'll get something else, and it does provide some opportunity for themed clothing (I can imagine putting Geoffrey Landgraab in a loud bowling shirt when he ages into an Elder in my game).
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited March 2017
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't know bowling was so unpopular. I mean I'm a teen and I still go bowling with friends here and there ( although only one of my friends and I are really into it ) Then again, we like all kinds of sports and activities so maybe we're not the most average guys to ask about this.
    However, I'm pretty happy with getting a bowling SP. It's a neat group activity that doesn't seem to cost much to develop as opposed to more complex sports like football or soccer. ( Imagine the amount of rules and scenarios you'd have to implement to keep the games authentic and dynamic ) This is not to say I wouldn't like to see these in the game one day, but I'm also super happy with bowling.

Besides, the theme and outfits we saw so far seems to suggest some 50s vibe which is always appreciated in my book.

I think it's just in decline in metropolitan areas where rents are so expensive.
    Plus there's so much more competition entertainment wise in bigger cities than there is in say rural midwestern US.

Can't speak for other countries but I spent two years in Japan and don't recalll ever seeing a bowling alley.
    With the limited space they have there I doubt there are very many.

Not sure about that -- one of the popular hangouts in San Francisco is the Lucky Strike Bowling center -- it's down near the waterfront right across from the baseball stadium and it's usually quite busy when I walk by. A lot of the urban techies hang out there after work especially -- it's a good place for happy hour get togethers since it's near the train station for those who live on the Peninsula, or it's not that far to BART for East Bay residents.

Oh for sure most cities have at least one....but it's mostly just a novelty.
    When I was a kid I as in a bowling league, and bowling was a regularly televised sport.
  • Options
    Bowling is probably my favourite activity - great for groups and birthday parties. You can find a bowling alley in pretty much any urban area - San Myshuno, anyone? Should EA decide to add seasons bowling is great on those snowy evenings when you just want to get together with the gang.
    And maybe this bowling dealie might include pub food - chicken wings, fried pickles, cheezies, etc.... Can't hurt to keep an open mind.

I've already got plans to either convert The Old Salt House into a bowling center, or build a brand new warehouse building on that lot. I think it'll suit the neighborhood quite well. I've also got an empty lot in the "downtown" area of Willow Creek next to the Sunny Side Diner that will be great for family outings (have a meal at the diner then head next door for some bowling).
  • Options
    Dayvon64 wrote: »
    Now I feel plum for loving this pack, everyone seem to hate it and think it's plum. :/

I love the idea and am really looking forward to its release (hopefully fairly soon, though looks like at least a couple of weeks away since we don't have the official trailer yet :/ ).
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Bowling will always find its way into the game. My only beef is that it's coming in the form of a stuff pack. Bowling warrants its own venue, and to date no SP has introduced a new venue type. This will probably be a stuff pack intended to have "basement" bowling alleys, or makeshift alleys at venues where they don't really make sense.

I don't plan on buying it. IMO this content could have, and would have made more sense in a "night out" venue game pack with different venues all holding unique purposes. Getting a bowling alley + some decor doesn't interest me on it's own.

Bingo, I'm not a fan of functional items being moved to Stuff Packs. It seems like a move made in the interest of sales rather than being one in the interest of production or satisfying customers.

I've always just skipped Stuff Packs because I don't care about retextures or getting more stuff. What the base game and expansions provide is more than enough to satisfy me. With Sims 4 though, suddenly they've got the Butler and bowling in stuff packs. This simply hasn't happened before, the closest probably being that Fast Lane stuff for Sims 3 had a trait (that was later patched in to everyone).

My question is what's next? Do we NEED to buy a stuff pack to get a pool table? Do we NEED to buy a stuff pack to get a car and a garage? Do we NEED to buy a stuff pack to get a genie in a lamp that grants wishes...?

It all just seems like an effort to get more people to buy stuff packs, and what I hate is it seems to be working. Everyone's too busy praising stuff packs for being "more interesting" without recognizing that the stuff packs are not bringing new content to the table, they're bringing back fan favorites. That does not mean some innovation went on to brainstorm new features, that means some guy in a suit said "hey if we move the Butler from City Living into Vintage Glamour, we can get $10 more per customer."

Stuff packs sold in Sims 2 and Stuff packs sold in Sims 3. On both counts, they focused on what they promised: stuff. Instead, now they seem to be sloooooowly beginning a pattern to grab more and more "important" (aka popular, fan favorite) gameplay features to try and entice more customers to buy. No, screw that, I hate that practice, I'm not buying a single stuff pack in protest. As I said though, unfortunately it seems to be working, as much of the community is just excited to see content and glosses over the fact that Sims 4 is going to demolish the record for most stuff packs for a game while utilizing items we used to see packaged with expansion packs.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @DeservedCriticism Well said :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited March 2017
    I haven't been bowling for years but I always enjoyed it whenever I went. It's one more thing for my Sims to do anyway. I'll probably end up buying it.

• Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member

And don't forget the side objects that could come with a pack like that: claw machines, sticker machines, coin pushers, capsule toy vending machines... Just imagine your sims being able to collect things like stickers, plushies, and sticky bugs and unlocking new CAS parts like chunky clear plastic novelty rings, tacky plastic bead bracelets, and plastic pacifier necklaces! XD That would be so cool!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    kmariakmaria Posts: 282 Member
    It would be nice to get an official announcement, or an update of some kind. Been pretty quiet lately. I like the Sim Guru spotlights, but I can't stand the youtube stuff. I pass up everything having to do with it.

Pretty disappointed there is no new blog post today... even announcing an upcoming announcement would be okay at this point haha!
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 554 Member
    @Dayvon64 don't feel down for liking bowling. I'm excited for the pack and want to get building my bowling alleys already! Besides, as someone else pointed out, it shouldn't matter whether anyone else likes what you like. And you're not the only one who likes it in this case.

And I agree with the other point made upthread about how this is a good game to introduce because it can be an activity for a wider variety of sims (including families). Some sports would be less likely for sims of certain ages/interests, but bowling is pretty accessible.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @kmaria - Gurus spend most of their time on twitter. Most of them only come to the officials when there's a patch or a pack as been released.

I loved bowling growing up. I used to go midnight bowling throughout my teens. I miss it!
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    Yeah, I overexaggrated perhaps :) Though, bowling is still something cool to-do in my country.

That's great there's some people that like it. And sure, we can use the "bowling is popular where I live" Trojan horse to counter my popularity argument. But STILL, out of all activities you could do, you would choose bowling? Yeah O-K.

Our sims in this iteration have very little to do as a "group" and it's bothersome that the team is wasting time making a rehashed feature of a sport that's "meh" here in the states. I mean, gee I don't see EA Sports coming out with any Bowling games.

Wth Sims Team? **
    Challenge this game's engine and your coding expertise to give us a sports activity that our sims as a group (not turn base) can do "together" that's new to the franchise. And relatively popular.

Excuse you, lady. I live "here is the states" as well and bowling is still very popular. A lot of young people enjoy playing it and I'm one of them.
    With that being said, you have all the right to have your own opinion about bowling, but, BUT, don't tell people that the thing that they enjoy is extremely boring and lame.

For example, how would you feel if I told you that the only people that like cosmopolitan are braindead valley girls? Doesn't feel too good, does it?
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    Yeah, I overexaggrated perhaps :) Though, bowling is still something cool to-do in my country.

That's great there's some people that like it. And sure, we can use the "bowling is popular where I live" Trojan horse to counter my popularity argument. But STILL, out of all activities you could do, you would choose bowling? Yeah O-K.

Our sims in this iteration have very little to do as a "group" and it's bothersome that the team is wasting time making a rehashed feature of a sport that's "meh" here in the states. I mean, gee I don't see EA Sports coming out with any Bowling games.

Wth Sims Team? **
    Challenge this game's engine and your coding expertise to give us a sports activity that our sims as a group (not turn base) can do "together" that's new to the franchise. And relatively popular.

Excuse you, lady. I live "here is the states" as well and bowling is still very popular. A lot of young people enjoy playing it and I'm one of them.
    With that being said, you have all the right to have your own opinion about bowling, but, BUT, don't tell people that the thing that they enjoy is extremely boring and lame.

For example, how would you feel if I told you that the only people that like cosmopolitan are braindead valley girls? Doesn't feel too good, does it?

I wasn't addressing my post to the people that like bowling, Princess Vee. I was it addressing it to the Sims Team [hence my title] that I don't like it and my reason why. It's boring to me, not a soul I know plays it and I only see old people play the one near my place. That's not subjective, that's fact.

For the record I like Vogue a bit more. Better articles. Regardless I read Cosmo maybe twice. So if you said that if I liked it and I was as such [e.g]
    I'd just smile and say whatever.

Why are people getting so butt hurt over my bowling comment? That's my opinion and that's all that matters to me.
    (^ー^)