Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims resource

Comments

• Options
    dest01dest01 Posts: 283 Member
    edited March 2017
    {Deleted}
    Post edited by dest01 on
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    @dest01 - No, it's a piracy source and not in any way legitimate. In fact, you should probably edit the name out of your post if you could as it's not a suitable site to be posting about on this forum.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    @dest01 - No, it's a piracy source and not in any way legitimate. In fact, you should probably edit the name out of your post if you could as it's not a suitable site to be posting about on this forum.

Thank you so much! I was wondering if I was allowed to post some cc site links used by some of my favorite youtubers and you guys could tell me if they're safe or not ?
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Oh the exchange is dreadful. I never download Sims from there, and I always use an alternate link if one if offered, unless it's someone I trust, like @Rflong7 and her worlds.

Tell me about it. My computer never picked up anything from TSR but I got "the doll" from the exchange.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    dest01 wrote: »

Thank you so much! I was wondering if I was allowed to post some cc site links used by some of my favorite youtubers and you guys could tell me if they're safe or not ?
    If it's not an incredibly long list, you could PM them to me if you want. But anything that offers up EA store content for "free" is not going to be legit. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options

If it's not an incredibly long list, you could PM them to me if you want. But anything that offers up EA store content for "free" is not going to be legit. :)

It's pretty long but most are from tumblr
    I'll post the links on this thread when I get back home :) thank you
  • Options
    Maybe I should just make a separate thread?
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @Karritz I had the defectuous hair on my harddisk and promptly deleted it. :s Is it only the toddler version that is bad? Or all of them?
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited March 2017
    jillbg wrote: »
    @Karritz I had the defectuous hair on my harddisk and promptly deleted it. :s Is it only the toddler version that is bad? Or all of them?

That's the only one that crashed my game but I didn't put them all onto my toddler.

It wasn't a problem until I used it.

After I used it I saw one instance of my dog standing on its hind legs with all limbs very elongated.

Only the one save was affected.

The baby aged up and I took her into Stylist and gave her the hair. It all worked fine. I saved the game and next day it couldn't be opened.

I went back to the previous save and aged her up again and gave her a different hair and saved and it was good. Then I had to find which hair it was on my computer and that took a while.

EDIT: Other people have said they have that hair for other age groups and it isn't a problem. But I don't know if they have actually used it. I only had it for the toddler version.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    I download stuff from TSR every once in a while (I downloaded a couple of things today, in fact) but started using an ad blocker several months ago. It's kind of funny, but the only time I get the 60 second delay and the lecture about ad blockers is when my ad blocker senses something it doesn't like! The rest of the time I only have to wait the normal 10 seconds. And they expect ME to report 'problematic ads'? I don't think so!

Anyway, OP if you have the money and download from there a lot then your subscription might be worth your while. Because it's the ads that are the main issue. Yes, they have had some shady issues in the past but there are lots of great creators there that I love. I can't say that 100% of their stuff is totally safe - I don't think anyone can tell you that. But I've not had any problems with the stuff that I have downloaded for the most part. One exception was some patterns which I really liked but they didn't show up in my game so there was a problem somewhere; I just uninstalled them.

But I have creators that I like and trust on the Exchange, too. I think it's terribly unfair and probably a little irresponsible to paint an entire site with the same brush unless you've personally downloaded everything and can vouch that it's all rubbish. ;)

There are tools like Custard that everyone should learn to use because I don't think there are any guarantees when it comes to player-created content. Some things are messed up it's true, but sometimes it's just an honest mistake and not someone trying to purposely ruin your game. And you can't always tell those are a problem with Custard. You need to be very organized with your CC and put every item you add to your game 'on probation' until you have checked it out. I unpack all my CC with the Multi-Installer from MTS so I can just add it to my mods folder and take it out if it's a problem or I just don't like it.

If worse comes to worse you can usually fix major issues by renaming your TS3 folder and running the game to create another one. You will have to start over with installing CC or any Store content you have but you should be able to move your saves to your new folder and you will just get a message that not all content could be loaded when you start the saved game.

What kind of CC are you mostly interested in? Because some content can be more problematic than others. When they created TS3 I believe they were trying to discourage the use of CC (they most likely were afraid that it would compete with their online Store); they didn't even provide a way to add it in the beginning.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    BuildingStructuresBuildingStructures Posts: 40 Member
    I know what you mean, but I think simmers should create an archive ans ave where did they got their CC from, then they can come over like the issues comes from new patches which even goes to far to cause game crash in the beginning. Especially I ve seen many skintones which affected the whole sim families and even after its uninstallation, it still caused a weird blueish skintone on the neighbour sims and that was terrible. But my comment does not refer to TSR only, am talking about general CC issues, so if you are a long - term player you should save your CC's and also note appropriately where you got them and the version of the game when you got it, so when a problem arises you can see which CC is causing the crash. I have heard about MTS has some tools to check the package format downloads for crashing, though.
    Happy simming!
    IfvKgi.jpg[/URL]
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited March 2017
    I less have problems with the sims resources cc , i downloaded from other there for years I never catch any viruses inside. All the stupid things said about tsr are not true at all.
    However I got troubles that tumblr's , wix's and co cc that plenty of them causes crash and the lods are not fixed, well most of them are lazy they only care of their very high gaming computer , they should not share to everybody.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    I less have problems with the sims resources cc , i downloaded from other there for years I never catch any viruses inside. All the plum things said about tsr are not true at all.
    However I got troubles that tumblr's , wix's and co cc that plenty of them causes crash and the lods are not fixed, well most of them are lazy they only care of their very high gaming computer , they should not share to everybody.

I think maybe you've been lucky. Any site can have problems. You must have a nack of choosing good makers when downloading from TSR. I never got a virus from there yet but I did get broken CC items that broke my game.

I use anti virus software and an ad blocker too.
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    I recommend that you decrapify the clickable sims3packs into package files, because one they some times carry stowaway files which are near impossible to get rid of if you click them into the game and because its a lot easier to manage the files that you did indeed want. I am not recommending you do this with store files, I doubt it would work and it's probably against some sort of rule.

This is the name of the program that does this: Sims3Pack Multi Installer You could also google "decrapify sims 3" and you'll get lots of info on how to do this.

Also I recommend keeping new stuff in a separate folder until your sure you want it and that it hasn't hurt anything.
  • Options
    @AthenaOnyx just so you know, decrapify and unpacking into package files are not the same thing. Decrapifying S3Ps requires another program but it is not something that's even necessary for content that wasn't made by EA.

The Mulit-Installer unpacks the S3P and if CC was used it will unpack those items as well. Some people purposely download and install the S3Ps through the Launcher specifically to GET the CC. ;)

I use Multi-installer on all my S3Ps (including lots I download from the Exchange, even when I know they are CC-free) except for counters, worlds and patterns. Then I merge the packages together with s3pe into chunks so they don't take quite so long to load.

• Options
    My next question is
    How many sunflowers can I have to organize cc ? And can anyone tell me how they personally categorize their cc? Just looking for suggestions
  • Options
    UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    I would never take membership with TSR. Their business practices have been questionable, such as releasing the full real names and email addresses and some credit card information of subscribers publicly in the past. I wouldn't ever give them my personal details.
    The ads can also be dodgy, I would recommend a good ad blocker.

In the past, I've found a lot of the content to be just photoskinned rubbish, and / or badly created. A lot of the content that caused monster babies and horse people among other things, has come from there. I rarely if ever download from there, and if I want something, I stick strictly to one or two creators.

Edited for clarification.

I paid for a membership for TSR for a couple months before I came across your response. Although I have not had any bad CC from the site itself, I still find that unacceptable and have since revoked my subscription. Thank you for the heads up. I really hope my credit card number isn't at risk. =/
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I have a folder in my Windows Downloads folder NOTE the Sims 3 Downloads folder.

I called my folder ThirdPartyContent - so I know it is things I've downloaded and made by other people as opposed to things I purchased from EA. I have another folder for my EA Store purchases.

In my ThirdPartyContent folder I have it divided up into Sims 3 and Sims 4 folders.

Inside my Sims 3 folder I have lots of folders. One for each maker (except if downloaded from a site such as TSR or MTS) . I have a TSR folder and an MTS folder plus folders for similar sites.

Inside my TSR folder, for example, I have a folder for each individual maker of CC that I got off that site.

Inside each individual maker folder I have the downloaded files (.zip or .Sims3Pack or .package - however they same). I also keep (when I remember to do it) links to the site I got them from. And any relevant Text files. Plus whatever other info I think I might need and think of getting at the time.

Before putting them into my game I use Sims 3 Multi Installer to extract the .package files from .Sims3Pack files. I don't do this for worlds.

I use S3PE to pack the .package files into larger .package files for that maker. Then I put them into my mods folder. I have some extra folders inside my mods folder too to help me organise things there. This helps me find problems if I have any.

Once I have the files in my mods folder I use Sims 3 Dashboard to check if there are any conflicts or copies or corrupt package files in my mods folder.
  • Options
    LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    A great majority of my CC comes from TSR and I've never had a problem with it. Although I only download from certain creators. I also convert all the Sims3Pack files to packages. I find it's less of a hassle that way and I also use S3PE to compress all my files into a single file and it helps my game run 10 times smoother.
  • Options
    My next question is
    How many sunflowers can I have to organize cc ? And can anyone tell me how they personally categorize their cc? Just looking for suggestions

I'm not going to claim that I am super organized and meticulous about it, but I organize CC in several ways. I have individual folders on my hard drive with either specific names of creators (those with cc I really love and have a lot of) and I also have folders labeled the following;

CC 1 Accessories and Shoes
    CC 2 Clothes and Pregnancy Morphs
    CC 3 Babies and Toddlers
    CC 4 Skins, Eyes, Brows Makeup
    CC 5 Hair
    CC 6 Horse Mods (not many but I wanted to know where to find them)
    CC Carpets and Rugs
    CC Environment Weather Clouds
    CC Food Farm Gardening

Plus a few more but you get the idea. They start with "CC" so they will appear near the top of my folder and the numbers make them easier to spot (for me).

I also have another folder called CC Merge Project - this is where I place my files to merge with s3pe. I have one file called ATS3_ObjectsSet1_merged and another called ATS3_ObjectsSet2_merged (I have a lot of stuff from Around the Sims 3!). Then I have folders called BuildBuySet 1, BuildBuySet2, etc., folders for the make-up and clothes and so on. I find it helpful to do it this way so that if I'm not sure if something is in my game I can go check these files and find it (since merging turns it all into one large file per folder). It's not fool-proof. I recently found two sets of objects that I had in more than one folder! As if I needed my mods folder to be any larger! So needless to say I removed the extras and merged the folder contents again.

As for my MODS folder, inside the contents look like this:

Overrides
    Packages
    Resource.cfg

I have two sub-folders in my overrides folder - things that were fixed from the Store or a few other things. You generally won't have a lot of stuff in your overrides folder.

In my Packages folder I have my default skin, facial hair, eyebrows, and eyes, along with the following sub-folders:

BuildBuy
    Hacks
    Skins

The BuildBuy sub-folder holds my merged BuildBuy CC, the Hacks folder has all my mods in it, and the Skins folder has clothing, makeup, hair (in it's own sub-sub-folder), ND skins, baby and toddler cc, accessories and shoes etc.

How you decide to organize it depends on what kind of CC you like to use. If you mostly have hair and furniture for example, your folders and sub-folders could look a lot different from mine. Or if you are a super organized person and want to put everything in it's own sub-folder it will also obviously be different! Basically just find a method that makes sense to you and works.

• Options
    My next question is

I'm not going to claim that I am super organized and meticulous about it, but I organize CC in several ways. I have individual folders on my hard drive with either specific names of creators (those with cc I really love and have a lot of) and I also have folders labeled the following;

CC 1 Accessories and Shoes
    CC 2 Clothes and Pregnancy Morphs
    CC 3 Babies and Toddlers
    CC 4 Skins, Eyes, Brows Makeup
    CC 5 Hair
    CC 6 Horse Mods (not many but I wanted to know where to find them)
    CC Carpets and Rugs
    CC Environment Weather Clouds
    CC Food Farm Gardening

Plus a few more but you get the idea. They start with "CC" so they will appear near the top of my folder and the numbers make them easier to spot (for me).

I also have another folder called CC Merge Project - this is where I place my files to merge with s3pe. I have one file called ATS3_ObjectsSet1_merged and another called ATS3_ObjectsSet2_merged (I have a lot of stuff from Around the Sims 3!). Then I have folders called BuildBuySet 1, BuildBuySet2, etc., folders for the make-up and clothes and so on. I find it helpful to do it this way so that if I'm not sure if something is in my game I can go check these files and find it (since merging turns it all into one large file per folder). It's not fool-proof. I recently found two sets of objects that I had in more than one folder! As if I needed my mods folder to be any larger! So needless to say I removed the extras and merged the folder contents again.

As for my MODS folder, inside the contents look like this:

Overrides
    Packages
    Resource.cfg

I have two sub-folders in my overrides folder - things that were fixed from the Store or a few other things. You generally won't have a lot of stuff in your overrides folder.

In my Packages folder I have my default skin, facial hair, eyebrows, and eyes, along with the following sub-folders:

BuildBuy
    Hacks
    Skins

The BuildBuy sub-folder holds my merged BuildBuy CC, the Hacks folder has all my mods in it, and the Skins folder has clothing, makeup, hair (in it's own sub-sub-folder), ND skins, baby and toddler cc, accessories and shoes etc.

How you decide to organize it depends on what kind of CC you like to use. If you mostly have hair and furniture for example, your folders and sub-folders could look a lot different from mine. Or if you are a super organized person and want to put everything in it's own sub-folder it will also obviously be different! Basically just find a method that makes sense to you and works.

I put all of my cc into my mods folder if that's the right way to go however I'm not sure how many sub folders are allowed

• Options
    Also does anyone know good sites for skin and makeup?
  • Options
    LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    Also does anyone know good sites for skin and makeup?

I guess it depends on your preference. For make-up I use a few pieces from Praline Sims on TSR and S-Club. I don't really have a lot of CC make-up and only stick to one lipstick, eyeliner, and eyeshadow for the most part. As for skins, there are a lot of good ones. I use Kurasoberina skin. She has a lot of them and they're all really amazing I find.

http://kurasoberina.tumblr.com/tagged/downloads

I also recommend brntwaffles and ephemera as back-ups as those are just as good. brntwaffles has really good eyes to use as defaults and contacts.
  • Options

How do I install nraas packer? The site itself isn't helping me I also sent you a message
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    How do I install nraas packer? The site itself isn't helping me I also sent you a message
    Packer is a minimalist package file editor. It arrives when downloaded as a zipped folder. Unzip/extract the folder entirely, as you cannot run an executable while it is still inside a zipped folder like that, and double-click on the executable to run it. There really shouldn't be any more to it than that, except to note that .NET 3.5 is required. Not all Windows installations have that version of .NET activated by default.

As for seeking help from NRaas, this is our general message board and the one that gets the most viewership. Unless you are making a support thread regarding script error logs from particular mods like ErrorTrap or expecting a conversation with a mod developer, it's where most such questions should be posted.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Chatterbox
    (free registration and wiki membership required to post)

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!