Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When is the Next EP Announcement Coming Out?

Comments

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Fantastic optimism! ;)

There has always been 8 to 12 months between the expansions. So now people expect that there only will be 6 months between them form now on!??!!?? ;)

My predictions instead are something like the following:
    Basegame Sept 2014
    GP1 Jan 2015
    EP1 Apr 2015
    GP2 July 2015
    EP2 Dec 2015
    GP3 June 2016
    EP3 Nov 2016
    GP4 Jan 2017
    EP4 maybe Sept 2017
    GP5 maybe Jan 2018

And of course EA will still release 5 to 6 SPs every year too :)
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I hope it isnt just going to be one ep per year. If that is the case either the games development will go on for a long time or there will be less eps for 4 than previous titles in the series.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    edited February 2017
    I hope it isnt just going to be one ep per year. If that is the case either the games development will go on for a long time or there will be less eps for 4 than previous titles in the series.

But more GPs. If we were to get an EP a year and two GPs a year, it would amount to about the same in large-stuff development. And I think Vampires proves that that doesn't mean we get lesser stuff, too.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

But more GPs. If we were to get an EP a year and two GPs a year, it would amount to about the same in large-stuff development. And I think Vampires proves that that doesn't mean we get lesser stuff, too.
    But there won't be more GPs than EPs because they have always just switched between EPs and GPs such that after each GP they release an EP and after each EP they release a GP. So we know that an EP is next (at least a half year away though) and that the next GP is likely to be release either in December 2017 or in January 2018.

You need to be happy about all the SPs they now release instead of the bigger expansions :)
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    Erpe wrote: »

But there won't be more GPs than EPs because they have always just switched between EPs and GPs such that after each GP they release an EP and after each EP they release a GP. So we know that an EP is next (at least a half year away though) and that the next GP is likely to be release either in December 2017 or in January 2018.

You need to be happy about all the SPs they now release instead of the bigger expansions :)

I think that is only because the first two EP's were released close together. Probably because portions of them were worked on prior to TS4's launch, shortening their schedules.

I fully expect to see another GP before the next EP.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

We've been told that there's no set pattern for EP and GP releases. We've also been told that the GP development time is about half the time of an EP. There's no reason to think that GPs are limited to the same number as EPs. There were 6 months between GP01 and GP02; year one of the game had 1 EP and 2 GPs. There were 11 months between GP02 and GP03; year two of the game had 1 EP and 1 GP. There were 8 months between GP03 and GP04 (we're up to 4 GPs and 3 EPs); year three of the game has had 1 EP and 1 GP and still has 7 months to go, and the Big Toddlers Project is done. I would be utterly astonished if there weren't a second third-year GP coming this summer.

And I don't "need" to be happy about anything, thanks.

ETA: On that "instead of the bigger expansions" bit? We're at 2.5 years into Sims 4 and have 3 EPs and 4 GPs; if 2 GPs reflect the same amount of "big-ness" as an EP, that's the equivalent of 5 EPs in 2.5 years... one every 6 months average. Exactly the same pace as Sims 2 and Sims 3. To your "instead of," facts say No.

At this point also: We're at 8, almost 9 9 almost 10 SPs. For Sims 2, we were at 4 SPs (no gameplay); for Sims 3, we were at 5 SPs (no gameplay) and two worlds, plus the store (which was mostly still build/buy and CAS at this point, not gameplay objects, IIRC). I'd say we have more add-on content or the same, not less, and I haven't included the major patches.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DecafHigh wrote: »

I think that is only because the first two EP's were released close together. Probably because portions of them were worked on prior to TS4's launch, shortening their schedules.

Why? There were 11 months between GP2 and GP3!?

EA earlier had the policy to just release 2 EPs each year and nothing else. This policy now is very different because now EA instead releases about 1 GP, 1 EP and 5 SPs every year. (The reason must be that SPs give EA a much higher profit than the big EPs did.) I actually believe that EA now only releases GPs and EPs to get better sales numbers for the SPs. (Otherwise too many simmers could maybe stop playing instead of still buying the SPs and the free updates are of course released for the same reason.)
  • Options

EA earlier had the policy to just release 2 EPs each year and nothing else. This policy now is very different because now EA instead releases about 1 GP, 1 EP and 5 SPs every year. (The reason must be that SPs give EA a much higher profit than the big EPs did.) I actually believe that EA now only releases GPs and EPs to get better sales numbers for the SPs. (Otherwise too many simmers could maybe stop playing instead of still buying the SPs and the free updates are of course released for the same reason.)

We're 2.5 years and 4 GPs in. On average, a GP is released every 7.5 months, not every year. Facts aren't favoring your argument still.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

And only 7 between GP 3 and 4. It varies. I just expect the next GP in 6 to 8 months giving them the benefit of the doubt on the average development time. So toward the end of the summer I don't find to be an unrealistic estimate. I wouldn't be "shocked" though either if it takes longer than that.

I agree with you about EA favoring the SP's. I'm sure they are much much cheaper to make. Outside the Vampire pack I've found that everything they have released has been underwhelming be it SP, GP, or EP. The EP's in particular have been disappointing. If the next ones are Pets and Season/Generations/Another one we've had before at least I'll be saving some money. I am sick of buying the same packs for each game. They really need to try something new for a change and start adding the "we always had" stuff into the base game.
  • Options
    howsimlishhowsimlish Posts: 709 Member
    I'm thinking May/June for a Pets EP with an announcement in April.
  • Options

We're 2.5 years and 4 GPs in. On average, a GP is released every 7.5 months, not every year. Facts aren't favoring your argument still.
    Let us see:
    Between GP1 and GP2: 6 months
    Between GP2 and GP3: 11 months
    Between GP3 and GP4: 7 months
    Average: (6 + 11 + 7) / 3 = 8.0 months between 2 successive GPs.

Besides that TS5 is now probably in development. This means that fewer developers can work on Sims 4 expansions unless EA again let another studio make them like EA did with the last 4 EPs for TS3 which instead was made in Salt Lake City where EA usually only makes mobile games. Nothing points in the direction that EA will do that again. So I actually suspect EA for planning to release almost only SPs from now on until TS5 likely will be released in the last half of 2019. But only time can tell if this will happen. If my suspicion is correct then the cause would be that EA maybe doesn't think that the last GPs and EPs are necessary for all the remaining SPs to sell well. But EA will of course most likely release a couple of bigger expansions anyway to reduce the risk.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @Erpe
    Nothing points in the direction of EA having starting working on a TS5 PC game. They are still hiring for TS4, none of the Gurus have moved to a new project, and the next unannounced Maxis title is a mobile one.
  • Options
    Besides that TS5 is now probably in development.

Well, that's the big question isn't it? Is there even going to be a TS5?

I kinda feel the same that if there is it is already well into development and due around your late 2019 mark. I'm not as confident in the chances of a TS5 though as everyone would have been in a TS4. With EA's push toward making everything online/mobile and TS4's lukewarm reception I'm not counting on a TS5 until they announce it.

Either way I don't disagree that GP/EP development for TS4 could likely wane sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Iunno, May? Sure let's go with that.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    I think we'll see the EP in the next announcement trailer.
    It'll probably feature the bowling stuff pack and the next EP which is almost surely Pets.
  • Options
    Jean wrote: »
    I think we'll see the EP in the next announcement trailer.
    It'll probably feature the bowling stuff pack and the next EP which is almost surely Pets.

The bowling stuff pack was already in the most recent announcement trailer, so it should be out before the next announcement trailer.
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    I hope so. Can't wait
  • Options
    FrootyDiamondFrootyDiamond Posts: 15 Member
    Pets and seasons maybe. Zebru found the codes for pets and theres some rumors about the seasons, lets not forget about that toddler book. Theres alot of easter eggs in the game but EA denied the easter egg part. But idk :/
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I kinda feel the same that if there is it is already well into development and due around your late 2019 mark. I'm not as confident in the chances of a TS5 though as everyone would have been in a TS4. With EA's push toward making everything online/mobile and TS4's lukewarm reception I'm not counting on a TS5 until they announce it.

Either way I don't disagree that GP/EP development for TS4 could likely wane sooner rather than later.
    I agree that the the market for mobile/online games is growing while the market for PC games is decreasing and that it therefore is likely that EA is going in that direction too.

But to assume that TS4 will have a longer lifetime and more expansions than any of the earlier big Sims games is in contradiction with the above and I can't imagine EA doing something like that. There are only 2 options:
    1. EA is going other ways and TS4 will be the last big Sims game. That will mean that EA will release smaller and smaller expansions for TS4 until EA announces that the time for big Sims games is over.
    2. The sales numbers for TS4 expansions is still high and EA wants to release TS5 too. This will mean that EA still will release a few big expansions for TS4 beside all the more profitable SPs and TS5 is in development too.

I don't believe in point 1 because the Sims games have been the best selling PC games ever for EA. Therefore the Sims games almost certainly will be the last big PC games for EA to drop - and it has been the huge number of expansions that have given EA most of the profit.

What I personally don't like is the change to SPs and also to smaller EPs (GPs). But SPs are much cheaper for EA to make than EPs and they seem to sell almost as well anyway. So at least it is understandable to me that EA has chosen to go in that direction. It makes me fear for TS5. But it will still surprise me if EA doesn't want to earn more money on big PC Sims games with a huge number of expansions. So I am quite sure that TS5 is in development and will almost certainly be announced officially at some time in 2018. (I don't think that TS5 will be announced already in 2017 because EA usually has announced the big Sims games only a year before they are released.)

The interesting thing for me is that EA always has made a big effort in making each big Sims game very different from its predecessor (although all the Sims games have had a huge number of expansions anyway). But how will EA make TS5 different from TS4 if TS5 also will focus mainly on SPs? That will be interesting to see.
  • Options
    TraarjoTraarjo Posts: 65 Member
    I'm guessing 2 EPs as well, or at least I hope! Since there's been so many leaks, I'm guessing we're not far away from an official announcement. (I personally don't think the leaks are "leaks" per se, more like a way of marketing and getting it hyped up, since they can't talk about the game and give us information this early on). An announcement during April, like @Orchid13 said, seems reasonable, and then another one during September-October that will be released at the end of the year.
  • Options
    JenpantsJenpants Posts: 58 Member
    Patience young Padawan. I want my doggo too but chill :P
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Twix wrote: »
    I'm guessing 2 EPs as well, or at least I hope! Since there's been so many leaks, I'm guessing we're not far away from an official announcement. (I personally don't think the leaks are "leaks" per se, more like a way of marketing and getting it hyped up, since they can't talk about the game and give us information this early on). An announcement during April, like @Orchid13 said, seems reasonable, and then another one during September-October that will be released at the end of the year.

Yes, I'm trying to stay positive since I don't think we are getting just one EP this year
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I agree that the the market for mobile/online games is growing while the market for PC games is decreasing and that it therefore is likely that EA is going in that direction too.

But to assume that TS4 will have a longer lifetime and more expansions than any of the earlier big Sims games is in contradiction with the above and I can't imagine EA doing something like that. There are only 2 options:
    1. EA is going other ways and TS4 will be the last big Sims game. That will mean that EA will release smaller and smaller expansions for TS4 until EA announces that the time for big Sims games is over.
    2. The sales numbers for TS4 expansions is still high and EA wants to release TS5 too. This will mean that EA still will release a few big expansions for TS4 beside all the more profitable SPs and TS5 is in development too.

I don't believe in point 1 because the Sims games have been the best selling PC games ever for EA. Therefore the Sims games almost certainly will be the last big PC games for EA to drop - and it has been the huge number of expansions that have given EA most of the profit.

What I personally don't like is the change to SPs and also to smaller EPs (GPs). But SPs are much cheaper for EA to make than EPs and they seem to sell almost as well anyway. So at least it is understandable to me that EA has chosen to go in that direction. It makes me fear for TS5. But it will still surprise me if EA doesn't want to earn more money on big PC Sims games with a huge number of expansions. So I am quite sure that TS5 is in development and will almost certainly be announced officially at some time in 2018. (I don't think that TS5 will be announced already in 2017 because EA usually has announced the big Sims games only a year before they are released.)

The interesting thing for me is that EA always has made a big effort in making each big Sims game very different from its predecessor (although all the Sims games have had a huge number of expansions anyway). But how will EA make TS5 different from TS4 if TS5 also will focus mainly on SPs? That will be interesting to see.

I think if there is a sims 5 it wont be called the sims 5. I can see EA doing a major series reboot and starting again.
  • Options

Thats true! I love the gamepack themes so its cool if they choose to do that. :)
  • Options
    shaylizabethshaylizabeth Posts: 12 New Member

Why not believe in point 1 though? TS4 is very likely to go in any direction with a new life simulation game in the making. They're getting new competition, so it's very likely that they will up their marketing to still hold tight to fans, mainly to new ones introduced to TS4. I highly doubt that EA will just expose their belly and admit defeat with Vie coming out, but there's always that small possibility. I think it will depend on how the Vie announcement goes in the communities to decide on if EA is going to up their game with EP and GP content/amounts for this year. I definitely believe we'll be seeing an announcement late March/early April since Vie is doing a teaser in mid March.