Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question for people who build their own house

Do you do you do youtube? Like post speed builds? Im trying but recording while im thinking of a floor plan or how to decorate is difficult and i dont enjoy it.. But i want to prove i can if that makes sense.

Comments

• Options
    barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    Maybe you could try to think about what you are going to do first before recording.
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    What you could do is take your time and buiild the house..
    Save all the rooms in sections..deconstruct them one at a time putting all the buy objects in inventory and memorizing the build objects.

Then just hit record when you reconstruct it.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member
    I don't make Youtube videos but I believe a lot of speed builds are just recorded on the spot. You can always delete the parts where it's not needed in post production of your video and then just add some commentary.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    MoonsKisuMoonsKisu Posts: 97 Member
    I've toyed with the idea but am currently feeling uninspired in my builds. You can edit out all the parts you feel are unnecessary afterwards. That's where I got stuck. I recorded my build but am clueless about video editing.
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited February 2017
    I personally don't, but mostly it's because I lack the attention span to build a house completely in one sitting. But it's actually very feasible to build it on the spot.

Think of it this way. A lot of speed builds are around 20ish minutes long, and you can probably speed things up 10x and still have a relatively normal looking video. This means the actual building time will be 200 minutes (a bit more than 3 hours). One can easily build a small - medium sized house in this amount of time, interior decoration included.

If you make a mistake and need to delete a section of wall or something, it won't even be noticeable on the video since it will go by so quickly. In fact, I actually like seeing the building process with the mistakes / corrections included. Makes it seem more natural.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    I don't upload videos, but normally I have an idea of what I want to make first. I even sometimes do sketches on a pad. Jot down some ideas when I think of them. Sometimes those ideas don't always transfer nicely to the game, but then it's just a matter of tweaking your idea to the game. :) Good luck! xoxo
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Do you do you do youtube? Like post speed builds? Im trying but recording while im thinking of a floor plan or how to decorate is difficult and i dont enjoy it.. But i want to prove i can if that makes sense.

You don't have to prove anything.

If you're not enjoying it, don't do it.

Maybe try something else instead, look at some different youtubers, ones you wouldn't normally watch, and see if there's a different style you feel more comfortable with. Also, I think YTs tend to record the footage in the background. Then they edit it together, speed it up, and add the commentary later, so forgetting the recording might take the pressure off. Also, maybe pre-plan the layout of the house first? Or get a few basic layouts that work for you and then you can layer on top of that as you go. It might help to have some prior idea of what you want to achieve. Do a test run!

Good luck! And try not to put too much pressure on yourself or overthink it. Videos always turn out better when the host is enjoying themselves.
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited February 2017

You don't have to prove anything.

If you're not enjoying it, don't do it.

Maybe try something else instead, look at some different youtubers, ones you wouldn't normally watch, and see if there's a different style you feel more comfortable with. Also, I think YTs tend to record the footage in the background. Then they edit it together, speed it up, and add the commentary later, so forgetting the recording might take the pressure off. Also, maybe pre-plan the layout of the house first? Or get a few basic layouts that work for you and then you can layer on top of that as you go. It might help to have some prior idea of what you want to achieve. Do a test run!

Good luck! And try not to put too much pressure on yourself or overthink it. Videos always turn out better when the host is enjoying themselves.

Thank you guys 4 the great advice :)

I need to pace myself and just have fun
  • Options
    MoonsKisu wrote: »
    I've toyed with the idea but am currently feeling uninspired in my builds. You can edit out all the parts you feel are unnecessary afterwards. That's where I got stuck. I recorded my build but am clueless about video editing.

I am so uninspired. No direction whatsoever :D
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member

This will sound harsh, but if you don't enjoy it, don't record it. When you aren't enjoying making content, it really does come across in videos and that can put a lot of people off. However, everyone has stages where they need to "push" themselves to make videos, which is normal.

As for building and recording, have a general idea of what you want the lot to look like before you hit record. Something I often do is have a look at the surrounding area of a neighbourhood and think of a build that would look unique, but also fit into that area. Another tip is to think of what you want your lot to function as. Is it a family home? Is it a home for friends? What are the personalities of the Sims living there going to be like? What is the history of the lot going to be? These simple questions can really help out in determining what the look of a lot will look like.

It's rare that I'll cut footage from my builds, the only time I do that is if it's an overly repetitive action (like decorating the tables on a restaurant) or if I'm changing a large amount of items colours or something. I personally like talking about why I made changes and the thought process I had behind things. That approach doesn't work for everyone, so it's something you'll have to discover for yourself.

If you feel lost for ideas, look up house designs online. I've done this many times where I was in the mood to build, but I didn't know what I wanted to build. I would just Google house designs and browse through images and get ideas from things.

But the most important thing is to have fun. If it's a Speed Build you know you're going to be doing, forget that you're recording. Mute the game audio, stick on some music and go with it. If I were to ever release raw, unedited footage of me recording, it'd literally be me singing along to the most random songs. If you're having fun when building, you'll have fun when recording your commentary :)
  • Options
    EunaginaEunagina Posts: 2 New Member
    I've recently started doing Speed Builds on YouTube, and my first piece of advice is: If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. Making (good) videos is a TON of work, and it is definitely not worth it if you don't actually have fun doing it :)

That being said, if you still feel like you would like to give the whole speed build thing a try, here are a few tips:

1) Forget that you are recording. That really threw me off the first time I tried and my mind totally blanked. Forget about that and try to think like you normally would when you build! Perhaps put on your favourite music?

2) Have a plan. To make it easier, try to have a general layout of the house you are building in your mind. Plan it out a bit before recording. Perhaps start building the shape of the house to see if it works. If it does, remember how it looks like (or make a sketch on a piece of paper), delete it, start your recording, and build it again. Then you have a good starting point!

3) Don't panic if you suddenly lose your flow and get stuck with your build. Sometimes I get moments where I just stare at my build not knowing where to go from there. It's okay! If the camera is stressing you out, pause your recording and go back to your build. Try a few ideas off camera and see what works. When you find something, go back to recording. If you still feel lost, have a little break before you continue, it really helps!

4) If you are doing a large build that you don't feel you can do in one sitting, that is okay! Just take a break from it and come back later. I've even done builds that had to be recorded over a few days. You can do the editing once you're done, and no one will ever know about your breaks! ;)

5) Be yourself! Don't worry if people will like your build. If you like it, others are sure to like it too! If you did a creative thing and feel unsure if people will think it looks weird or ugly, don't think about it. It is what you think that matters, and if it looks interesting to you, it will look interesting to others.

6) Make the video your own! When you get to the part where you have to record audio, have fun with it. You can talk about the build you are doing and the thought process behind it, or you can talk about something else entirely. It is all up to you, you're the boss! Whatever you say will be part of your personal touch to your videos.

I hope this helped you out a little! I wish you the best of luck and I hope you have a jolly good time making your speed build videos!

• Options
    lisi_jalisi_ja Posts: 542 Member
    I’m not a big YTer whatsoever but I feel compelled to give you some advice – maybe it’s a mother thing :)

Everyone is different and what works for me could probably be a pain for you. So read it, keep what you like and throw the rest away ;)

Here are some ideas for you (in addition to the previous ideas in the thread):
    • Find inspiration in advance. Search for houses and blueprints. When you know what kind of house you want to build, search for pictures of landscaping and interiors. Make a collage with the pictures so you can always have a look at them while building. You don’t have to use them as a template, but you can see them as a direction.
    • You can always edit or press the stop recording button. This knowledge takes the pressure away when I’m recording.
    • Don’t press yourself to record something. I love doing different things all the time and I get bored easily if I stick to one thing for too long. Maybe you could do CAS videos or try out a building challenge or just a room building video? There are so many alternatives…
    • Try out live streaming. It sounds extreme but live streaming helps me a lot in my decision process. It is a blessing to have instant feedback from my viewers. Sometimes they give me ideas I wouldn’t come up with while building alone.
    • And don’t forget… just because you’re recording it, it doesn’t mean that you have to upload the video ;)

So... have fun and, if you feel like it, share your fun with others :)
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    It's never even occurred to me to record my builds. I don't think it would be enjoyable to watch, I change too much as I go along. I'm just happy enough sharing on the gallery.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I don't upload videos, but I do build my own houses. Inspiration comes to me in different ways. Sometimes it's guided by looking at other people's builds or floor plans for real houses. Other times, I draw one wall line and think about what room I'm building and go from there, adding rooms from left to right or front to back.

And sometimes, I'll just sketch out the house on paper or my Corel Draw program. I like this option if I'm going for realism and want to make sure I include space for my "useless" rooms like hallway closets, outdoor sheds, and utility/laundry rooms. That way, I don't get halfway through a build and forget to include enough room for those details.

Another thing I do is save rooms to my gallery. Closets are generally around the same size and since I have already decorated the ones I have saved, it saves time if I can plop one down and adjust it to my current needs. One for cleaning supplies near the kitchen, or another one that I might attach to a bathroom that has linens and towels etc.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    lisi_ja wrote: »
    I’m not a big YTer whatsoever but I feel compelled to give you some advice – maybe it’s a mother thing :)

Everyone is different and what works for me could probably be a pain for you. So read it, keep what you like and throw the rest away ;)

Here are some ideas for you (in addition to the previous ideas in the thread):
    • Find inspiration in advance. Search for houses and blueprints. When you know what kind of house you want to build, search for pictures of landscaping and interiors. Make a collage with the pictures so you can always have a look at them while building. You don’t have to use them as a template, but you can see them as a direction.
    • You can always edit or press the stop recording button. This knowledge takes the pressure away when I’m recording.
    • Don’t press yourself to record something. I love doing different things all the time and I get bored easily if I stick to one thing for too long. Maybe you could do CAS videos or try out a building challenge or just a room building video? There are so many alternatives…
    • Try out live streaming. It sounds extreme but live streaming helps me a lot in my decision process. It is a blessing to have instant feedback from my viewers. Sometimes they give me ideas I wouldn’t come up with while building alone.
    • And don’t forget… just because you’re recording it, it doesn’t mean that you have to upload the video ;)

So... have fun and, if you feel like it, share your fun with others :)

I think my problem is i was doing things that im tired of doing. It's like i have a -particular style house that I always default to and im trying to do something more challenging . I always do a simple, small ranch style house or a medium traditional inspired house. You offered me some good insight , thank you.
  • Options
    Eunagina wrote: »
    I've recently started doing Speed Builds on YouTube, and my first piece of advice is: If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. Making (good) videos is a TON of work, and it is definitely not worth it if you don't actually have fun doing it :)

That being said, if you still feel like you would like to give the whole speed build thing a try, here are a few tips:

1) Forget that you are recording. That really threw me off the first time I tried and my mind totally blanked. Forget about that and try to think like you normally would when you build! Perhaps put on your favourite music?

2) Have a plan. To make it easier, try to have a general layout of the house you are building in your mind. Plan it out a bit before recording. Perhaps start building the shape of the house to see if it works. If it does, remember how it looks like (or make a sketch on a piece of paper), delete it, start your recording, and build it again. Then you have a good starting point!

3) Don't panic if you suddenly lose your flow and get stuck with your build. Sometimes I get moments where I just stare at my build not knowing where to go from there. It's okay! If the camera is stressing you out, pause your recording and go back to your build. Try a few ideas off camera and see what works. When you find something, go back to recording. If you still feel lost, have a little break before you continue, it really helps!

4) If you are doing a large build that you don't feel you can do in one sitting, that is okay! Just take a break from it and come back later. I've even done builds that had to be recorded over a few days. You can do the editing once you're done, and no one will ever know about your breaks! ;)

5) Be yourself! Don't worry if people will like your build. If you like it, others are sure to like it too! If you did a creative thing and feel unsure if people will think it looks weird or ugly, don't think about it. It is what you think that matters, and if it looks interesting to you, it will look interesting to others.

6) Make the video your own! When you get to the part where you have to record audio, have fun with it. You can talk about the build you are doing and the thought process behind it, or you can talk about something else entirely. It is all up to you, you're the boss! Whatever you say will be part of your personal touch to your videos.

I hope this helped you out a little! I wish you the best of luck and I hope you have a jolly good time making your speed build videos!

What do you think makes a video good?
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    It seems to me that recording and posting videos is a separate hobby from building. I don't make videos. But I do watch them , and I seldom see a good building video without it inspring me to try out new things.
  • Options
    Im doing a recording now and actually having fun with it because I am doing a house style i havent before :) Thanks for all of the good input guys , it helps.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    edited February 2017
    I build some of my houses, but I don't really want to make a video of it. I'm super slow and indecisive builder. I would rather try to make a short movie or let's play, that's something I've considered, but haven't had the patience to learn the basics.
    Post edited by musteni on
  • Options
    Im obsessed with cute houses in real life and so its no surprise for me , that I like trying to see what I can build in this game. I dont have a ton of followers or popularity , so i am happy to have just under 1,000 downloads of stuff ive put on the gallery.It keeps me encouraged to put something nice out there. And to keep challening myself to do more. I have been doing the sims as a hobby for years now. So it's fun to be more a part of a sharing/learning community.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    While I will on the rare occasion share pictures on the forums if asked I do not post videos of them on YouTube or upload them to the Gallery. My buildings are for me alone.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

It takes all my time and effort to just build, I just post pics of my build when done.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited February 2017
    wrong thread
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    ashleyl2203ashleyl2203 Posts: 322 Member
    edited February 2017
    I will just record and cut out bits that are taking me too long. Then speed it up to 5x and you are good. You can take chunks out and still make a good speed build video.
  • Options
    WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    I take so long to build houses I'd never be able to record them for youtube. I sometimes move the entire layout around because it doesn't fit quite right. I can take 1 day to 1 month to finish something, depending on how much I want to play. lol
    Origin ID: Wyrren