Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

There are not enough Build/Buy mode options!

Comments

• Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    I suppose when it comes down to the style of build objects, sims 3 probably had a bigger verity than Sims 4 has due to the color wheel etc.

However, builders actually have much more tools at their disposal in terms of building houses than ever before. In the previous games you couldn't move the entire house let alone a room. You actually had to delete the entire thing just to move it one square in any direction. You also couldn't levitate the house without building the levitation platform first. So if you had built your big house and then decided you wanted to raise it up a bit, then tough luck, you had to delete the entire building. You also couldn't build round walls etc.

When the game was first launched it was kind of easy to see that the builders had been prioritised some, since we were missing toddlers and other things at launch. CAW and terrain tools unfortunately didn't make it, but compared to what you got instead, I'll say it was worth a trade. I rather be able to move a room or the entire house in case I want to move it around instead of having to delete the entire thing (I hated having to delete it all) than I want to be able to built holes or cliffs.
    That's my opinion of course and might not agree with yours, which is okay. But I really do think you builders got quite some power tools to build fantastic houses with.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Zafireria wrote: »
    I suppose when it comes down to the style of build objects, sims 3 probably had a bigger verity than Sims 4 has due to the color wheel etc.

However, builders actually have much more tools at their disposal in terms of building houses than ever before. In the previous games you couldn't move the entire house let alone a room. You actually had to delete the entire thing just to move it one square in any direction. You also couldn't levitate the house without building the levitation platform first. So if you had built your big house and then decided you wanted to raise it up a bit, then tough luck, you had to delete the entire building. You also couldn't build round walls etc.

When the game was first launched it was kind of easy to see that the builders had been prioritised some, since we were missing toddlers and other things at launch. CAW and terrain tools unfortunately didn't make it, but compared to what you got instead, I'll say it was worth a trade. I rather be able to move a room or the entire house in case I want to move it around instead of having to delete the entire thing (I hated having to delete it all) than I want to be able to built holes or cliffs.
    That's my opinion of course and might not agree with yours, which is okay. But I really do think you builders got quite some power tools to build fantastic houses with.

No, just no. This is the absolute worst game of the series for builders and decorators. This is a good game for players who were not very good builders before and now can produce something resembling a building. Terrain tools were everything to advanced builders. Everything!

And the thing that irritates me about the furniture is that nothing matches. It's all either ultra traditional or weirdly modern. There is nothing in between. Odd shapes and sizes. Decor objects are huge in comparison to the sims. Colors are all off because of lighting. Sometimes the colors and woodgrain doesn't match. It's just a pile of blah.

This game requires CC for me. I couldn't play it if I were tied down to what's in the game.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Neia wrote: »

I think we could use a bit more bed covers options too, especially since there are linked to the bed frame, it's always hard to find one I enjoy.

...and/or allow us to upgrade beds.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    Totally agree with you, we need more color swatches, patterns and style with the little choices of cabinets, fridges, counters, curtains,couches bedding we have. I won't mind a round coffee table and dinning table that sit six, like we have for outdoors. And maybe spirals stairs and ladders would be great too.
  • Options
    lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    Totally agree with you, we need more color swatches, patterns and style with the little choices of cabinets, fridges, counters, curtains,couches bedding we have. I won't mind a round coffee table and dinning table that sit six, like we have for outdoors. And maybe spirals stairs and ladders would be great too.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Builders desperately need more options. I've scrapped entire builds in frustration because I just can't get things the way I want them.
    Things I would love:

Counters and cabinets that are the same color that are actually the same color
    Couches and loveseats that are the same color that are actually the same color
    Shelves that will hold the clutter items we have
    Clutter items that will fit on the shelves we have
    The ability to move windows, doors, and columns off the grid snap (even MOO won't do it)
    More options of different size matching windows and doors
    Round roof options to go with the round room and porch options
    Roof options that actually match each other
    Left side and right side curtains to be placed as we like them
    Left side and right side shutters to be placed as we like them
    Accented siding and plain siding that are actually the same color
    More flooring options
    More quality bed options - I'm tired of every Sim stuck with the same bed
    Diagonal kitchen counters
    More stair shapes
    Diagonal placement for stairs
    Ladders
    Half walls for the top half of a room
    Usable wall cutouts
    Get rid of the backsplash on kitchen counters when one side is against a wall and the other is not
    Washer and dryers (workable or decoration)
    Garage doors
    The ability to have some buildings have a foundation and others not on the same lot
    The ability to place things like fireplaces and appliances on the floor of sunken rooms
    The ability to place foundation types square by square instead of by entire room (for sunken rooms)
    The ability to join stairs from different angles
    Terrain tools

I'm sure there are more things, but that's all I can think of right now.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    TDU90TDU90 Posts: 1,822 Member

Sims 3 just didnt feel feel like a sims game to me. Sims 4 feels like sims 2 again, for me , personally and I love it.I say all of this to say that when I was a sims 3 player, I didnt build houses much. I just didnt care enough about my game to build .But I started playing sims 4 and loved the art style and now I do like to build. I mean, I have always had pretty decent building skills. It's easy to build when you have seen a million houses in real life. But I do like the new features we have in sims 4 as well. Like the create a room tool where you can just start a square and drag it out and I totally love the feature you named , of moving the house or rotating it to anywhere on the lot. That is quite a useful feature.

The things I would like to see are small things they can add . Like the ones I already talked about.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @DecafHigh wrote: »
    We're 3 Expansion Packs in.

I'm sure once The Sims 4 is up to Expansion Pack 10, there'll be 100 Stuff Packs and maybe 20 Game Packs full of content.

Honestly, if they try to drag this iteration of the game out another 7 years I would be officially done with the series. I'm thinking 2 more EP's max.

Why?

EA's tactic so far, is to release a game, give it 4 years of content, and then start reselling it to you again.
    And purposely skips EP's to make you reinvest.

The Sims 2 skipped a proper Supernatural pack, unlike 1 and 3. They also skipped a Celebrity pack (they actually had it originally and decided to keep it for The Sims 3). The Sims 3 skipped a business pack and a proper vacation pack, while teasing them with World Adventures and Island Paradise.

So you'd rather EA make you invest a 5th time, selling you 70% of the full content, which makes you have to buy everything again, or would you rather they try and fit as much as they can in one game. The Sims 4 has been designed to integrate perfectly with new content, so much so, that the base game and the game with all packs run exactly the same.

If they can keep it going for another 7 years, I would be extremely happy, because for once, EA aren't going to stop the game once it starts getting really good, and start all over again.
    You optimist! TS4 is already so buggy and laggy that I can't imagine 7 further EPs. I think we get Pets and Seasons and as GPs Magic and Beach Vacation and that's it. We absolutely need TS5 for a return of open worlds.

I dont have any bugs playing ts4 .
  • Options

I'm sure once The Sims 4 is up to Expansion Pack 10, there'll be 100 Stuff Packs and maybe 20 Game Packs full of content.

Honestly, if they try to drag this iteration of the game out another 7 years I would be officially done with the series. I'm thinking 2 more EP's max.

Why?

EA's tactic so far, is to release a game, give it 4 years of content, and then start reselling it to you again.

The Sims 2 skipped a proper Supernatural pack, unlike 1 and 3. They also skipped a Celebrity pack (they actually had it originally and decided to keep it for The Sims 3). The Sims 3 skipped a business pack and a proper vacation pack, while teasing them with World Adventures and Island Paradise.

So you'd rather EA make you invest a 5th time, selling you 70% of the full content, which makes you have to buy everything again, or would you rather they try and fit as much as they can in one game. The Sims 4 has been designed to integrate perfectly with new content, so much so, that the base game and the game with all packs run exactly the same.

If they can keep it going for another 7 years, I would be extremely happy, because for once, EA aren't going to stop the game once it starts getting really good, and start all over again.

I really agree with this comment. I really enjoy the sims 4 and I am not even vaguely interested another new Sims game. I know we all have different preferences but it would make me really happy if they put their all into this game for the next 4 years. If they hadnt removed CAS ,toddlers and other features from the start sims 4 would not have had the rocky start that it did.But thats besides the point. Im really enjoying this game now . I just bought 4 EP/Stuff packs last night because I really do enjoy playing.

also ts4 really does run soooo smoothly no matter how much content you have and that is unheard of.i played sims 2 a lot and couldnt really love ts3 like i did with ts4 , but the more EPs you bought with sims 3 the slower the game would run and the loading times were horrendous. 10 minute load times for me. if i actually really liked that game, it would have bothered me that I had to sit through 10 minutes of loading to play it.

but all in all i say this to say yes, I do want them to give us a ton of more content because I am not moving on to sims 5 anytime soon, even if they came out with it in two years. Sims 4 art style and approach really suits me.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

No, just no. This is the absolute worst game of the series for builders and decorators. This is a good game for players who were not very good builders before and now can produce something resembling a building. Terrain tools were everything to advanced builders. Everything!

And the thing that irritates me about the furniture is that nothing matches. It's all either ultra traditional or weirdly modern. There is nothing in between. Odd shapes and sizes. Decor objects are huge in comparison to the sims. Colors are all off because of lighting. Sometimes the colors and woodgrain doesn't match. It's just a pile of blah.

This game requires CC for me. I couldn't play it if I were tied down to what's in the game.
    Interesting. I never saw many houses were the terrain tool had been used, so I didn't think it was used that often, and I downloaded a lot of player made houses in Sims 3. I was never an advanced builder so I can't say 100% what it better or worse, just from a personal point of view, I thought you guys got quite some good tools.

I do agree on the furniture tho, nothing matches, especially not the kitchen.
    TDU90 wrote: »

Sims 3 just didnt feel feel like a sims game to me. Sims 4 feels like sims 2 again, for me , personally and I love it.I say all of this to say that when I was a sims 3 player, I didnt build houses much. I just didnt care enough about my game to build .But I started playing sims 4 and loved the art style and now I do like to build. I mean, I have always had pretty decent building skills. It's easy to build when you have seen a million houses in real life. But I do like the new features we have in sims 4 as well. Like the create a room tool where you can just start a square and drag it out and I totally love the feature you named , of moving the house or rotating it to anywhere on the lot. That is quite a useful feature.

The things I would like to see are small things they can add . Like the ones I already talked about.
    Yeah I started building a bit myself in Sims 4 than in the others, its easier now with the tools.
    Hopefully they might add those small things :smile:

• Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

Interesting. I never saw many houses were the terrain tool had been used, so I didn't think it was used that often, and I downloaded a lot of player made houses in Sims 3. I was never an advanced builder so I can't say 100% what it better or worse, just from a personal point of view, I thought you guys got quite some good tools.

I do agree on the furniture tho, nothing matches, especially not the kitchen.

Yeah I started building a bit myself in Sims 4 than in the others, its easier now with the tools.
    Hopefully they might add those small things :smile:

It's just a simple matter of what I can do in a build. For example...I've been making L-shaped stairs since TS1 using terrain tools. I used to make the foundation just a bit higher for my Chicago homes and even higher for my New York homes. Sometimes the fact that terrain tools wasn't obvious doesn't mean the builder didn't use it somewhere. I used to use it to build attics and basements, half landings, to add window to the roofline, etc. There were way more uses for it than just digging holes and making bridges. We used to be able to connect a functional garage to a house with terrain tools. Something that cannot be done in TS4 at all. I mean...A garage is a normal part of a house so to have a home without, even if there are no cars in this game, it's just odd.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member

Why?

You optimist! TS4 is already so buggy and laggy that I can't imagine 7 further EPs. I think we get Pets and Seasons and as GPs Magic and Beach Vacation and that's it. We absolutely need TS5 for a return of open worlds.

I dont have any bugs playing ts4 .
    Then you are very lucky.
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member

Agree all around. The improvements in TS4 building are really just quality of life features (move this stretch that), but we lost a lot of core mechanical ability to get that. CaSt and terrain tools at the top of the list along with some "cheats" like ConstrainFloorElevation. TS4 building is way more restrictive creatively than TS3 was.

Also agree about the color options. I would be at a loss without CC, why oh why does nothing ever match? I mean seriously it shouldn't be that hard to match up colors and textures across furniture pieces. Sure sometimes I want a mix of colors and patterns but not allllllll the time. ;) They did do a little better on that front in the vampire pack. Most of those pieces fit nicely.
  • Options
    LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    I understand completely, I hate dull colors. I love bright and bold cheerful colors. This is why I moved into custom content hoarding. There just isn't enough of anything. There is almost no sleek modern style in the game at all in any capacity (like a little with newer packs but not a ton). I feel like the game designs a lot of content that is either Victorian (which while I find pretty isn't my decor style of choice) or stuff you'd see on TV during the 90's.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    The already mentioned counters, how about a food processor or two?, more carpet patterns/colours, same for exterior siding, fireplaces generate chimneys, cars... Maybe it would be easier to say all the goodies we had in Sims2. I don't do CC because of EA's attitude towards it. It's one thing to claim they support it; another to require removal before each new pack, verify with creator of compatibility, reinstall it and all the rest of the nonsense. CC should work seamlessly, as it did in Sims2, no matter what packs come out.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Builders don't have more tools at their disposal - they have less, with some offering more functionality than we've seen before.

Build mode in The Sims 4 was simplified, not expanded. It was built around the room system which is pretty limiting once you get past what makes it different. Can you build some cool things in 4? Yeah, but there's much less one can physically accomplish with build mode in Sims 4 compared to Sims 2 and 3.

Terrain tools in Sims 2 and 3 offered much more than just holes and cliffs. They (mixed with a base game cheat code) fundamentally changed how build mode could function and you could make structures that were impossible using regular build mode. Arched bridges, split levels, walk in basements, etc. It took some practice, but it led to some out of this world builds. Something we will not see in Sims 4 where build mode focuses primarily on decorating and not on actually building.
  • Options
    Let's see... As noted, more counters, food processor - they had a kitchen stuff pack and no food processor? The variety of wall and floor treatments that Sims2 has, auto roofs - S4 roofing is a royal pain! Upright piano, drum set, synthesizer, land line phones (love that brown crank style). Come to think of it, Sims2 has a lot more of everything than S4 does, including color options beyond black and white. Maybe it would be easier to simply suggest they fire up the best game in the franchise, look at what's there, and make the S4 version.
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member

although I no longer play TS4....it's seems there are still a lot of builders out there that do... so

These were my thoughts and or ideas from a year ago:

*Bring back Auto roof feature and add more varieties and colors of roofing...
    *create more chimneys and make sure there are enough options to match the stone an brick wall options.
    *More varieties of Windows and Doors.. and more color combo options for them.
    *More Matching sets for Doors and Windows
    *A lot more options of Drapes and curtains, blinds, and window treatments in general for all sized windows.
    *More fireplaces please... stones fireplaces, modern tile fireplaces, Rustic fireplaces, fireplaces that you can insert into a wall so it can been used or seen from two different rooms
    *A floor tool that allows you to have a step down into another room.
    *Stair options.. L shaped Stairs, Curved Stairs, Round Stairs, and more variety of metal, wood, carpeted, wood with a carpet runner.
    *Terrain tool. We need to be able to put windows in the basements... lower the terrain or build it up so we can have houses on hills.
    *I know we don't have cars... but a Garage would still be a good thing. teenagers could have band practice in there. variety of Garage doors, and the ability to attach the Garage to the house.
    *More varieties of Bathroom items... especially more toilets and sinks.. and specify which sinks for the kitchen and which ones for the bathrooms. I'm so tired of my sims washing their dishes in the bathroom sink. and Bathroom Stalls for community lots.
    *More Wall options... definitely more stone and brick options, that goes with the floors too.
    *We always need a bigger variety of Landscaping options... just more bushes, flowers, some more specific to what ever world you're in. Desert would need more desert type plants and the forest would need greener and more lush plants....etc.
    *Of course we would then need more fencing options, and hopefully gates that will actually work with what ever fence you choose to use.
    *Lighting... Lighting is always an issue... there just needs to be more variety... I always end up using the same 4 lights cause everything else looks so bad when I try it.
    *Display cases for shelving for the sims that collect all those crystals and metals and so forth. maybe even built in shelving as a wall tool just to create an other option.
    *The Kitchens need a lot of help. there needs to be more counter options, and appliance options. again I'm using the same like 4 counters cause as few as there are...there are some there that are just awful.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Why?

The Sims 4 is no more laggy or buggy than The Sims 2.
    My Sims 2 Game is extremely buggy that I have to keep "testingcheats" on just so that I can reset objects when they crash.

And if the Sims 4 is laggy for you, then that's your PC.
    The Sims 4 runs at a solid 60fps for all of the youtubers with decent computers. Yet 90% had to give up the Sims 3 for running like garbage
  • Options
    Why?

Because just more "stuff" won't fix the core problems with the game. What those are has been rehashed to death on this forum the last 2 years so I'll refrain from reciting them all again.

Considering they haven't started The Sims 5 yet (EA always confirm when they start the new game), a Sims 5 developed in 2 years wouldn't be much better than 4.
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    Considering they haven't started The Sims 5 yet (EA always confirm when they start the new game), a Sims 5 developed in 2 years wouldn't be much better than 4.

Yes, I agree with you. My post with all the suggestions...that was from a previous thread about building suggestion over a year ago now...when i was still slightly optimistic. I have since come to the conclusion that while they continue to make this game with lower computer spec requirements....it will never be any better than it is today.

it's sad really. They could have really created such a phenomenal game if they hadn't been so scared to push the technical limits. so many other "open world" games out there have now left the sims in the dust.

I've resigned myself to just being happy with TS3 when I want a sims fix.

• Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member

Why?

The Sims 4 is no more laggy or buggy than The Sims 2.
    My Sims 2 Game is extremely buggy that I have to keep "testingcheats" on just so that I can reset objects when they crash.

And if the Sims 4 is laggy for you, then that's your PC.
    The Sims 4 runs at a solid 60fps for all of the youtubers with decent computers. Yet 90% had to give up the Sims 3 for running like garbage
    I agree, in puncto technical problems all 4 Sims versions are quite on the same level :) . The lag was worse in 3 than in 4, but regarding broken features 4 is currently taking the lead. Let's hope for the next patch.

• Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    Why?

Because just more "stuff" won't fix the core problems with the game. What those are has been rehashed to death on this forum the last 2 years so I'll refrain from reciting them all again.

Yeah, no. They don't tell us once they start working on a game. We never hear about what they are working on till it gets close to time for it to be released.

Whether you are right or not about them not having started TS5 yet, all I can say is if they haven't we aren't getting one. Once they are done with TS4 packs that would be it. End of series. Personally I think the series is still too much of a money maker for them to bury it within the next 2 years, they know if done right a TS5 could be an even bigger cash cow. But this is EA, they've done dumber things than this before so who knows.
  • Options
    I've had few, if any, bug issues with my Sims2. It runs smoothly with little lag, if any, and I've got it loaded with CC. While it does crash from time to time, I think that's more of a hardware issue as the PC originally had Windows 98 with upgrade to XP some time in the distant past. That said, it's outlived at least 3 other (and newer) computers that I've played Sims2 on. While Sims4 has potential, and there are some things in it that are really nice, it still lacks too many things - simple things, even, that were in S2 base game - to be a worthy heir to what has been before.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Why?

Yeah, no. They don't tell us once they start working on a game. We never hear about what they are working on till it gets close to time for it to be released.

Whether you are right or not about them not having started TS5 yet, all I can say is if they haven't we aren't getting one. Once they are done with TS4 packs that would be it. End of series. Personally I think the series is still too much of a money maker for them to bury it within the next 2 years, they know if done right a TS5 could be an even bigger cash cow. But this is EA, they've done dumber things than this before so who knows.

EA announced The Sims 2 in 2001.
    They announced The Sims 3 in 2006 (even that it was coming to PS3 and Wii)
    They announced production had started on The Sims 4 in 2010.

They announce this at investor meetings. Which they have to, in order to, you know, get investors. And EA are forced to make it public.

On top of that, half the Gurus are moved over to "unannounced content" like a year after a game comes out.

In 4, all the main Gurus are still invested in 4.

Rachel already confirmed they will continue making packs until they can't think of anything that makes sense to be a pack, when asked if they will keep the 4 year cycle.