Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

There are not enough Build/Buy mode options!

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    I have pretty vocal in other threads on this forum about the lack of diverse building items as well, particularly related to doors and windows. I enjoy building as much as (if not more) than playing the game. I've gotten pretty bored with the limited selection and styles of doors and windows that we have to choose from. I end up using a lot of the same ones because many of the "specialized" doors and windows tend not to match with my designs. And sometimes I would like to use a certain door or window, but the color does not match to other items that I'm using, which limits design even more :(

2 1/2 years in and we still do not have a basic sliding glass door to use sigh. :neutral:

I wish we could get back to two-story columns, garage doors (even with a lack of cars, garage doors would make homes and neighborhoods look more realistic) and a wider variety of staircase options.

As for counters and appliances and bathroom fixtures, I feel like we are lagging in those areas as well, as other fellow simmers mentioned above. Between the expansions and the store content, I always felt like I had endless options in sims 3, and that my design ideas were rarely ever crippled by lack of content/color. This unfortunately has not been the case with Sims 4.

On a more positive note, however, I do love how the counters and wall cabinets can be advanced arranged in Sims 4. It's way easier to create a big center island with a sink or a range, which is awesome. That is definitely a great improvement from Sims 3!

I did much enjoy the building components in the Vampire pack, but, for the most part, these will only work with a certain type of house and not in everyday suburbia (unless your suburbia happens to be an old, historic supernatural community like Midnight Hollow) :wink:

• Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    I don't recall them ever announcing "we have begun development of TS4", but whatever, if you say they did I'll take your word for it.

That just makes it clearer to me that there is not going to be a TS5 and that The Sims as a series, at least for single player games, is quickly drawing to a close.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    My gut feeling is that at this time, there is no Sims5 in the works or even in the design stages. I think they're planning to support and bring out packs for TS4 for a lot longer than the usual 4 year lifecycle.
  • Options
    lsnishilsnishi Posts: 2,714 Member
    There aren't enough curtain, rug, paintings, table lamps and high comfort bed colors and styles to make a really nice modern looking room/house. With City Living's modern vibe in San Myshuno, I was hoping for a stuff pack that had a lot more contemporary stuff.
    PDWxp40.jpg
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    My gut feeling is that at this time, there is no Sims5 in the works or even in the design stages. I think they're planning to support and bring out packs for TS4 for a lot longer than the usual 4 year lifecycle.

Meh I dunno. If EA sees sales of TS4 packs are through the roof maybe, but once the game starts getting 4, 5, 6+ years old how much interest is going to be remaining? How long till EA bean counters can no longer justify the budget cost to produce more packs?

Even looking back at a game as popular as TS3 I seriously doubt that packs like Island Paradise and Into the Future sold anywhere near as well as earlier packs like Ambitions. If TS4 wasn't soon in coming how long would EA have kept making TS3 packs? I would guess not very long.

No TS5 doesn't necessarily mean more TS4 content. If EA has already decided The Sims games don't have a future I actually would rather expect the opposite.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Apart from the usual compact stairs issues and my desperate need as a lousy builder for autoroofing,

YES on more color swatches generally. For some newer objects we seem to get SO many, and I'd love to see some more added in for basegame and earlier add-on objects.

YES on the counters: I often feel like I'm settling rather than finding a good style match. I'd like a curved counter edge on corners, too - so that a stone countertop looks like it was cut in one piece (as they often are IRL).

YES on the patio doors. I'd love sliding doors on more than just closets!

YES on the beds. I wish all the beds came with more variety of fabrics, and again I'm often settling.

YES on clutter that goes on small shelves. Mine often end up nearly empty because so few objects will fit those slots.

YES on the garage doors, even without cars. I'd like to have them able to open, too. And to be able to put a fence right along them and be able to leave them open, acting like a window. What I'm after is to simulate a garage conversion.

Also: Really missing range in fireplaces still. I'd like more single-square options there. And I often get frustrated that the doors and windows I want sit in the middle of two squares. I'd like doors and windows made so I can choose a two-square or a one-square version. And we don't have a three-square arch at all. And I'd like more small lights that can go in the middle of a dining table where I feel I want to light Sims' faces better without a giant thing getting in front of said faces.

(Not sure what the game bugs or TS5 have to do with this topic?)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited February 2017
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    IngeJones wrote: »

Meh I dunno. If EA sees sales of TS4 packs are through the roof maybe, but once the game starts getting 4, 5, 6+ years old how much interest is going to be remaining? How long till EA bean counters can no longer justify the budget cost to produce more packs?

Apparently a lot, according to Rod Humble : "The majority of Sims 1 sales, for example, happened after The Sims 2 had launched. It just kept going, and going, and going. With the Sims 2 sales we still see the same thing - they're still tracking incredibly strong, and this is happening the week before the launch of The Sims 3."

So I'm fairly hopeful they'll make lots of packs and have lots of opportunities to add the Build/Buy options I'm still missing :
    - U-shape/L-shape stairs
    - Garage and garage doors
    - Sliding patio doors
    - Roof windows
    - Attics
    - Basic windows and doors in basic colors like I posted earlier
    - More beds and more beddings (A Ikea bedroom SP, with all the beddings !)
    - Cooktop and ovens we have put in the counters
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    The overt introduction of Victorian via the Vampires pack has prompted some research into the period, which has highlighted deficiencies in the current S4 build/buy mode: circular stairs, and not just wood; octagonal roofs; functional Mansard rooms that allow for an attic; a much more diverse selection of wall and floor options, especially in wallpapers and carpets; more vibrant colors and a wider choice of them - color wheel, anyone?; all sorts of furniture/cabinet/shelving/decorative items; the previously mentioned terrain tools; windows and doors that have more color options than grey, grey, and grey; more fireplace styles and sizes, and that they actually generate chimneys; stained glass windows and doors; the ability to build greenhouses, and not just in boxes; proper inside the house stairways; more railings - whether for porches or internal balconies. As it now stands, anyone wanting to seriously build in this period is better served in Sims2, thanks to the far greater variety the full game provides itself and the open arms approach to CC. These improvements benefit more than that one period, so should find wide usage.
  • Options
    JMConceptJMConcept Posts: 123 Member
    Say what you want to say but 2.5 years in and the build mode in TS4 is still terrible compared to TS3. Yes TS3 has been out for a longer time but after the release of LN (only one year after TS3 release) the build/buy mode of TS3 was satisfactory.

Okay, sure we can move our houses now, but no terrain tools, oddly scaled furniture/wall heights, poor textures, no CAS, and terrible selection of windows, doors, and furniture.
    a742kT4.jpg
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    JMConcept wrote: »
    Say what you want to say but 2.5 years in and the build mode in TS4 is still terrible compared to TS3. Yes TS3 has been out for a longer time but after the release of LN (only one year after TS3 release) the build/buy mode of TS3 was satisfactory.

Okay, sure we can move our houses now, but no terrain tools, oddly scaled furniture/wall heights, poor textures, no CAS, and terrible selection of windows, doors, and furniture.

Right!!!? I was soooooo incredibly frustrated with the selection or lack of selection for windows, doors, furniture, patterns and materials. completely empty of choices. The things they did well....just was not enough to keep me engaged in the game.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member

I do feel a bit stifled sometimes, but I always end up pushing that thought aside because I only have roughly half the DLC.
    The thing that's keeping me intrigued at the moment is that they have turned a lot of the old rules regarding spacing and routing on their collective head. So I've been having a pretty fun time getting used to a lot of the new rules.

Also I have to say that some of the decorative stuff (especially wall objects) is brilliant.
    but there isn't enough of it... Just stuff in general. Basic stuff like wall counters, sofas reccliners, round anything lights that fix on fence posts windows (Windows define what kind of house it's gonna be...we must have more!) lol

It truly does feel a bit limiting. I'm just not into any of the packs I haven't already purchased so I feel kinda stick in neutral atm.
    Totally with you on that.

Hope there's relief on the way soon.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    thevogel wrote: »

Right!!!? I was soooooo incredibly frustrated with the selection or lack of selection for windows, doors, furniture, patterns and materials. completely empty of choices. The things they did well....just was not enough to keep me engaged in the game.

Yes, and Sims3 build/buy is nowhere near as good as Sims2 (just had a frustrating weekend trying to use it), so guess where that leaves Sims4? While there are some nice features, I can still build the house I want faster and easier in 2 than 4.

• Options
    JMConceptJMConcept Posts: 123 Member
    thevogel wrote: »
    Exactly, I feel like I need to download hundreds of CC furniture to make my game even semi-playable.
    a742kT4.jpg
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited March 2017
    Apart from the usual compact stairs issues and my desperate need as a lousy builder for autoroofing,

YES on more color swatches generally. For some newer objects we seem to get SO many, and I'd love to see some more added in for basegame and earlier add-on objects.

YES on the counters: I often feel like I'm settling rather than finding a good style match. I'd like a curved counter edge on corners, too - so that a stone countertop looks like it was cut in one piece (as they often are IRL).

YES on the patio doors. I'd love sliding doors on more than just closets!

YES on the beds. I wish all the beds came with more variety of fabrics, and again I'm often settling.

YES on clutter that goes on small shelves. Mine often end up nearly empty because so few objects will fit those slots.

YES on the garage doors, even without cars. I'd like to have them able to open, too. And to be able to put a fence right along them and be able to leave them open, acting like a window. What I'm after is to simulate a garage conversion.

Also: Really missing range in fireplaces still. I'd like more single-square options there. And I often get frustrated that the doors and windows I want sit in the middle of two squares. I'd like doors and windows made so I can choose a two-square or a one-square version. And we don't have a three-square arch at all. And I'd like more small lights that can go in the middle of a dining table where I feel I want to light Sims' faces better without a giant thing getting in front of said faces.

(Not sure what the game bugs or TS5 have to do with this topic?)

So much yes!! Literally to all of this post!

I wish they would expand build mode to allow free placement of windows, or at least quarter tile placement which would allow us to place single tile windows centered over two tiles. A double tile addition per window would be sufficient, but quarter tile placement would benefit all windows. I'd love it for doors as well, but simething tells me it would require more work than windows since Sims route through them. A two tile variant per single tile door would be sufficient for me though. Most of my CC is build mode additions that match existing Maxis stuff. They do make some really attractive build stuff, but they don't make enough variants which forces me to mix different window/door styles to get ones that fit the build.

With the push/pull system in place, I think it would be cool if that transferred to things like arches. A one tile archway could be pulled to 2-3-4 tiles long. That would be really cool, and it would add a ton of flexibility with the small number of arches we have. CC is a life saver in this department.

Settling is the perfect way to describe my experience with beds/counters too (among other objects). I think having the bedsheets independent of the frame would be the best solution, but I don't think that will happen at this stage. Limiting certain sheets to certain beds was a really terrible idea IMO. It makes me feel like there's fewer options, because only certain beds will end up matching the wall covering I've chosen, and then those beds decide the remaining furniture. Luckily CC saved the day there too. I wouldn't be opposed to Maxis releasing beds that aren't in one piece (frame + mattress separated like CC) some players may find it confusing, but it would offer a lot more freedom than it does currently.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I think the roofing tool in TS4 is quite cool and something I'd like to see carried over to the next iteration, but yes, it's still missing loads for Simmers that primarily build. As others have mentioned, terrain tools, CASt or color wheel, different type of stairs, etc.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    The roof tool is better than in previous games, but I wish we could also slide the gable end overhang, not just the eaves.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited March 2017
    There has been a boost in carpet and wallpaper options lately, but there's not much new for outdoors. We are still lacking in Counter options - not all counters have all shape options. Also, I feel like all our windows should have more curtain choices - some windows don't have many appropriate curtain choices at all.

Roof tiles could use some expansion.

Also, we totally, TOTALLY need guttering for our roofs. And there are a whole bunch of bugs in Friezes and stuff.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2017
    Sims 4 has ushered in a whole new class of people who are becoming interested in building like myself.

Maybe Sims 4 is not for hardcore builders, but I have started spending more time building in Sims 4 than I ever did in Sims 3 (and probably Sims 2) because it's simply easier and more fun.

Because I'm not a talented, hardcore builder, the ability to resize rooms, move, rotate, rooms, houses and lots makes it much more likely for me to put energy into building. I'm not going to get halfway through a build and realize I messed up one room that throws the whole build off. So I'm more likely to try because there's less tedium and "failure."

In the short time I've spent playing around with building my main wish is varied foundation heights and L-shaped stairs.

As far as CASt goes, to be real honest, I don't miss it at all. Not that I want to limit others' choices, but in Sims 3 I would spend 20 minutes trying to select the perfect color for one rug, and would become paralyzed with indecision - yes, that's on me, I know :smile:

• Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Sims 4 has ushered in a whole new class of people who are becoming interested in building like myself.

Maybe Sims 4 is not for hardcore builders, but I have started spending more time building in Sims 4 than I ever did in Sims 3 (and probably Sims 2) because it's simply easier and more fun.

Because I'm not a talented, hardcore builder, the ability to resize rooms, move, rotate, rooms, houses and lots makes it much more likely for me to put energy into building. I'm not going to get halfway through a build and realize I messed up one room that throws the whole build off. So I'm more likely to try because there's less tedium and "failure."

In the short time I've spent playing around with building my main wish is varied foundation heights and L-shaped stairs.

As far as CASt goes, to be real honest, I don't miss it at all. Not that I want to limit others' choices, but in Sims 3 I would spend 20 minutes trying to select the perfect color for one rug, and would become paralyzed with indecision - yes, that's on me, I know :smile:

@Pegasys - I still do that now and it's probably why I'm such a slow builder because interiors take me hours, but I do love having the options. I like to blame my zodiac sign for my indecisiveness :lol:

I don't like that they have made building easier. I always saw it as a challenge to try to figure out how builders better than me did something. Loved that challenge.

That being said, I can't really figure out how to build in TS4. The mind boggles :lol:
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    edited March 2017
    It would have been great if they gave us a stair style and then gave us an option to bend or shape it. Turn a straight stair into an L-shaped or even a curved one. Now that would be cool!

One of my biggest building disappointments in 4 is the near inability to put rooms under the roof. There are very limited options for this to make the space livable, and sometimes you still can see slices of the roof invading your living space. I thought the attic building options were much better in 3!
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Building in the Sims 4 as compared to building in the Sims 3 is like taking our Legos away and replacing them with Lincoln Logs just to make building easier.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams