Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Same Face Syndrome Help

Comments

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Sometimes it's just a matter of tweaking and pulling

This is Destiny in my main save:

7O9kvWh.png

This is Destiny as Vivica in my vampire save:

bmvlVDM.png

wcxwOjp.png

I used Destiny because she has maxed gardening and herbalism and other skills and I needed Vivica to have that as well.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited January 2017
    I have the same problem!!!! It happens a lot specially when you are obsessed with creating pretty sims, usually it's hard to find different kind of beauties. Your sims are really pretty and it's like you almost have a recipe to make them lol and it happens to a lot of us. I am lucky sometimes cause I have lots of siblings in my game so when I create a main sim and click the sibling button and then I get pretty sims but with some differences
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    If you don't want to tug and pull a Sim's face then here is what you do. Click on face in the panel then do each part, and pick a different nose, jaw, chin, brow bone, etc. Once you do that then you can tweak those parts with tugging and pulling. Don't be afraid to thin the neck or widen the neck, or the head. By touching the forehead you can make their head thinner or wider. But sometimes just picking on the premade chin, forehead, eye, etc. can change a lot.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    A fun fact is that a pretty face is always pretty symmetrical, actually what people consider pretty is usually a face with very symmetrical features, that's why pretty sims usually look the same. But I know very talented CAS creators that do manage to make really cute sims even if they are completely different.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    If I am not fussy about using the pre-mades anymore I find them unusual enough to make a good base for new sims. You have to be cas.fulleditmode to alter appearance and traits etc for them, tho'
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Pirate_QueenPirate_Queen Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2017
    I have the same problem with any game where you can customize features. I know I have defined preferences for facial features and as hard as I try, when I make my own sims/ characters they tend to follow the same pattern.

The only tip I can offer is don't dismiss NPC's. It really is possible to find some gems under all that bizarre makeup and clothing. I've been going through mine the last couple of days, deleting those that were frankly 'irredeemable' and fixing up the clothing, hair and makeup of those that showed promise.

These ladies all had pretty much nothing but those things changed. I do always have to change the eyes to the one closest in shape to what they naturally have that has no eyelashes, ( I can't be doing with those default fan lashes ) with a couple of lifts and pulls here and there and a couple had a minor bit of cheek, chin and nose surgery, but that's it.
    Whenever I do this I always try to retain their face, nose and lip shape. If I didn't they would almost definitely all look the same.

VaWXRA8.png
    4OFRrx0.png
    Xo5OsSn.png
    dAXmbXc.png

I think they scrubbed up pretty well from NPC hell and all look discernibly different to each other (Other than the eyebrows. Nearly every female in my game has the same eyebrows :s )
  • Options
    Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
    I have the same problem with any game where you can customize features. I know I have defined preferences for facial features and as hard as I try, when I make my own sims/ characters they tend to follow the same pattern.

The only tip I can offer is don't dismiss NPC's. It really is possible to find some gems under all that bizarre makeup and clothing. I've been going through mine the last couple of days, deleting those that were frankly 'irredeemable' and fixing up the clothing, hair and makeup of those that showed promise.

These ladies all had pretty much nothing but those things changed. I do always have to change the eyes to the one closest in shape to what they naturally have that has no eyelashes, ( I can't be doing with those default fan lashes ) with a couple of lifts and pulls here and there and a couple had a minor bit of cheek, chin and nose surgery, but that's it.
    Whenever I do this I always try to retain their face, nose and lip shape. If I didn't they would almost definitely all look the same.

VaWXRA8.png
    4OFRrx0.png
    Xo5OsSn.png
    dAXmbXc.png

I think they scrubbed up pretty well from NPC plum and all look discernibly different to each other (Other than the eyebrows. Nearly every female in my game has the same eyebrows :s )

MY GOODNESS!
    What mods are you using?! Very subtle and just enhances them that much more.
    Gorgeous ladies you made
    IRJsECv.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

VaWXRA8.png
    4OFRrx0.png
    Xo5OsSn.png
    dAXmbXc.png

I think they scrubbed up pretty well from NPC plum and all look discernibly different to each other (Other than the eyebrows. Nearly every female in my game has the same eyebrows :s )

They are beautiful Sims but they all have the same face shape. Do you ever build a square faced Sim instead of heart shaped/oval? Not dissing them, they are beautiful but I would like to see what you can do with a different shape. Potential there.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    lisken0221lisken0221 Posts: 116 Member
    I found some interesting faces from choosing preset faces from the opposite sex, in CAS and then switching back to female or male. then with
    a little tweaking, voila different face. I have fun with this, but do it mostly for the townies.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Oh goodness, off the top of my head. The skins are Kijiko's skin texture overhaul defaults. The eyelashes are Kijiko's as well.
    The eyes are Noodles glossy eyes defaults (updated for toddlers) and keenpea's deja vu non defaults.
    Those that have skin details are using Polygawns remain_unnamed skin blend and the eyeliner, eyeshadow (crocus I think) and lipsticks are all screaming mustards on TSR.

And thank you. It always makes me happy when I see townies come good lol
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Cinebar wrote: »
    They are beautiful Sims but they all have the same face shape. Do you ever build a square faced Sim instead of heart shaped/oval? Not dissing them, they are beautiful but I would like to see what you can do with a different shape. Potential there.

Hmm, I see what you mean. It may be that square face sims i'm deleting without thinking as oval/ heart may be my preference. Gonna have to pay attention to face shape more and go stalk some square faced townies. 🐸🐸🐸🐸, means I haven't got it cracked just yet after all lol

Post edited by Pirate_Queen on
  • Options
    ModifienModifien Posts: 363 Member
    I can vouch for the randomize sim until you find something inspiring, then tweak them to fit your idea of what you want without changing to a different preset option for a feature.

I do like the idea of generating an interesting sim, then using genetics with a sim I like to try to get something new. Some of the combination possibilities are super striking. I'll be using it in the future.
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Just changing their nose and mouth would make them different. Raise or lower cheekbones, make face fuller or less full. Different shaped eyes. Just start pulling and pushing stuff. I find myself making pretty much the same Sims after a while as well...this is what I do. Eyebrows can also change a face completely.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    I do this too! I feel too comfortable crwating the same face and I can't change!
  • Options

VaWXRA8.png
    4OFRrx0.png
    Xo5OsSn.png
    dAXmbXc.png

How are you people so talented!!! I've been months trying to make my perfect sims
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Oh goodness, off the top of my head. The skins are Kijiko's skin texture overhaul defaults. The eyelashes are Kijiko's as well.
    The eyes are Noodles glossy eyes defaults (updated for toddlers) and keenpea's deja vu non defaults.
    Those that have skin details are using Polygawns remain_unnamed skin blend and the eyeliner, eyeshadow (crocus I think) and lipsticks are all screaming mustards on TSR.

And thank you. It always makes me happy when I see townies come good lol

Do you use any mods to improve the lighting in CAS. And thank you so much for sharing your CC :)
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    AlourraAlourra Posts: 492 Member
    I literally use the same Sim and just change the clothes/hairstyle. :grimace: The best way I've found to overcome SFS is to do a "Beauty Challenge" where you take a really ugly looking Sim and make them better looking. I try to only push/pull the Sim's faces so I don't default to my usual facial features. You can end up with some unique looking Sims this way.
  • Options

Orchid13 wrote: »

Do you use any mods to improve the lighting in CAS. And thank you so much for sharing your CC :)

You're more than welcome for the CC names :)

I use Burnt Waffles HD Bright and Soft SweetFX. What I find really makes colours pop out though in CAS is using Luumia's solid white CAS background.

In the interest of showing that I may not know what a square face actually is, I found a sim with what I think was at least partially square and had a quick and dirty tinker.

Original
    PrIZHFy.png

Tinkered and squarified (I think)
    ZFmHa3R.png

• Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I do this too when I create sims, and mine are not as cute as yours. Since I play rotational and change all my max is sims I do not want my town to all look the same, so I go into the gallery and get sims and basically play them as they are. I used to change the traits and stuff but found that I was making them all with the same traits, now I play what traits they have in the gallery, and I also now have forced myself to use the random button, especially to populate my town, then I force myself to play one family each real life day then go around again. I also make a young adult alone and then an adult alone and an elder, then I make up couples and family
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    LyniaSC wrote: »
    Alright, so I'm not sure if anyone else seems to have this issue, but I have a serious problem with giving pretty much all my sims the same face (or at least very similar). I will usually give a different hairstyle, but all and all they are pretty much the exact same sim. Here are 6 of my girls, all who feature a very similar face (sorry, had to):

I just don't know how to get out of this rut. I know part of the issue is that I tend to use the same 2 presets, but whenever I try to use a different one I'm unhappy with the results. I try to do different things with the same preset hoping that will help, but in the end I tweak them in a similar fashion. And I wouldn't really care except right now I'm trying to create a town of people and I'd rather not have a bunch of nearly identical people walking around.

Lol, they are stunning, but the reason they look the same is because you are using the EXACT same mouth and nose presets on them and then not tweaking them. Maybe try tweaking the presets slightly or choosing a different preset if you don't want to edit it?

The reason they look the same is because they essentially are, they are all using the exact same face presets ;).
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited January 2017
    The same thing happens to me. This is a compilation image I made several months ago of some of the Sims I made up until that point:
    tumblr_ofgrexq5UD1v8k7elo3_1280.jpg
    Lots of similar noses, lips, eyes and face shapes. I have since tried to diversify more, resulting in Sims such as these (most of them are male as I'm doing a Male CAS challenge):
    tumblr_ogyj30gbMX1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_oh0dva0KqY1v8k7elo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_oh45w0ZnRd1v8k7elo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ojfdm8Rb1S1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ojh2dyaeOF1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ojj62b0Bl41v8k7elo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ojmoujc4Aa1v8k7elo5_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ojtieuseYG1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ok16mxqkx11v8k7elo5_1280.jpg
    tumblr_okcq9aIRoH1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_okeokbE07K1v8k7elo9_1280.jpg
    tumblr_okid6sVptc1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg
    I've quite specifically worked towards ethnically discernible Sims as well as pushed an pulled lots in terms of eyes and noses. Cheeks and cheekbones are still my main issue though. Also, remember that randomise is your friend, it'll often give you presets you wouldn't normally use.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    turmalina007turmalina007 Posts: 118 Member
    My sims would end up very similar to yours (I think they look nice), but yea,you get tired of the same look. It`s the reason I play pre-mades a lot, or I download from gallery.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Wyrren wrote: »
    Your sims are very pretty!

I like to use the randomize button until I get something I can work with. Then I might tweak them a little, but mostly leave the features they came with. :)

This is what I do also.
  • Options
    CharKittyBooCharKittyBoo Posts: 569 Member
    Yeah, a lot of simmers have this problem. I have my suggestions:
    • I leave most of my sim-making up to genetics, so that's a good way you could get some variety.
    • Come up with the personality you want the sim to have first! :) Are they going to be a really sweet and quiet sim (which is the feeling I get looking at all the sims you have there) or are they going to be loud and obnoxious? :D
    • Don't be afraid to go with one stand-out feature and work with it! (Like a big nose or furry eyebrows)
    • I personally get the feeling those sims are all very booky, which is like a hobby, so thinking of their hobbies too! Maybe they're a sporty sim, geeky sim, artistic sim, funny sim, go unconventional and out of your comfort zone! ;)
    • Step outside of racial/ethnic boundaries as well! The more diversity the better! What's their background? (Asian, Indian, Hispanic, African, Irish, etc. and pick key (even stereotypical) characteristics for your sims! (monolid eyes, darker skin, bright orange hair, etc.!)
    • Or you could always just download off the gallery :)

Family player we got toddlers...my life is complete 1/12/17 best. day. ever.
    7ZDKKOkt.png
    My Plum Family Tree
  • Options
    GeeJawGeeJaw Posts: 45 Member
    These are my most recently made sims

Isla who I made about an hour ago
    jg4lfb.png

and I made this little madam a couple days ago, yet she's still a no-name who I haven't put in my game yet
    2j5f0q9.png

They both look (imo) considerably different.
    I made them through looking at reference pictures. For Isla, I looked at a korean model and loosely based her features based on the model, for no name I looked at a British model, and loosely based her features on her. My avi/sig sim is based on Grimes, so I like to think all my sims look different this way. But when in-game, I have no control over their children so the kids end up coming out how they come out, and if I think 🐸🐸🐸🐸 when they age up, tough! Gotta stick with it, but yeah, that's how I do it lol
    2a4wpqp.jpg