Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has the Sims 4 passed its prime?

Comments

• Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Its seems @king_of_simcity7 that TS4 is just about the only game in the history of gaming to actually go backwards. lol I have to laugh otherwise I'll cry... or rant!
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I didn't realize this was a thread for only those who dislike the game. I don't believe that was the intentions of the OP at all, nor do I think people should have to give evidence and have a huge debate on why they like or dislike the game. As far as liking or dislike the game it's all very subjective. I personally have listed many times why I like sims 4, and I have listened to others who dislike the game as well with an emphatic ear. I'm not sure that's what this post was suppose to be about though, perhaps I am missing something?
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @NZsimm3r Well to be fair Tomb Raider Legend from 2006 had only 6 (watered down) linear levels and one bonus level while the original game from 1996 had 13 vast and expansive levels and one bonus level so you can imagine I grilled it at the time. Don't get me started on Tomb Raider Anniversary :open_mouth:

But The Sims is not Tomb Raider. It has always been about 'play it your way'

Burger King used to have the motto 'have it your way' but look at them now. No mayonnaise available in some of the Burger Kings I have been to lately so needless to say I criticised them, this time on trip advisor.

Now I am at the age where I can actually say that 'things where better in my day'

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    lol I think I'm at that age too although I didn't expect to get there for a bit! I get your point re Tomb Raider. I guess it is easy to forget other gaming disappointments. Perhaps this is the new era of gaming, where less is more and bigger profits by selling everything piece-meal. Either way I have to admit that when you compare and contrast the history of The Sims, TS4 doesn't stack up too well.

I keep coming back to this question: has it passed it's prime. You know, in some ways you could argue that it has indeed as there was never so much excitement for it than in the early stages of marketing when it was all a fantastic dream to us fans. Many simmers could successfully argue that it has been downhill all the way since then.

I'm not quite so bleak but still very critical. Interestingly there are lots of improvements that seem to go generally unnoticed by a lot of simmers. For example when TS4 launched the eye choices were very flat, single block of color options. Now there is a luminosity and color gradients that make certain eye colors in-game look as good as some CC.

I could list many more 'smaller' details like that that have been improved immensely. Unfortunately for me the lack of in-depth game play still gets me in the gut every time though.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    @NZsimm3r Indeed minor improvements have been made, even I have noticed a few leaps forward from time to time but it is always a short lived hype.

Early days was very hit and miss. You had some hype during the prelaunch but there was a lot of skeptism. There was an awful lot of boycotting, a lot of p,ayers where on the fence from the beginning and many never crossed that fence. I had seen some very firm 'not buying' statements which were never retracted so it was an anxious time for the community. Most of the debates that go on today started back then, around June 2014, probably even earlier.

Many have since left, others like me reformed under a new name and took a back seat but dispute minor improvements here and there, a few EPs, GPs and SPs, not much has really changed. The same questions that have been asked since day one, and a lot of the same concerns are still present. A lot more still needs to be done but time is running out. As I said, we are almost half way through TS4's supposed lifespan. If it hasn't 'taken off' for some players now, what are the chances of it doing so next year or the year after? At least 5 EPs in total are being predicted at the moment, three are out already so that itself dosn't look too promising

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I agree... many of the concerns and legitimate concerns I might add, have never been addressed and looks like they may never be in this iteration. I do suspect though that the 'normal' 5 year span or so may be a lot longer for the sims 4.

• Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Why would anyone come into these threads and try to change our minds? Our opinions would not spoil anyone else's enjoyment of the game.

Oh apparently it does.
    It's been moaned about numerous times here, and elsewhere that people can't enjoy their games because other people are criticising it.

Pfft. If I had a dollar for every time someone complained about TS3 I'd be rich - and still loving and playing TS3 every day as I do now. I don't know why people are of such delicate sensibilities that they can't play and enjoy their game knowing someone else doesn't like it. It's ludicrous.

I can only assume their love for the game is fragile IE somewhere deep down they know it's not that good but they're determined to enjoy it and get upset when someone brings them closer to their true feelings.

In other words, we're hitting too many nerves.
    raw
  • Options
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Why would anyone come into these threads and try to change our minds? Our opinions would not spoil anyone else's enjoyment of the game.

Oh apparently it does.
    It's been moaned about numerous times here, and elsewhere that people can't enjoy their games because other people are criticising it.

Pfft. If I had a dollar for every time someone complained about TS3 I'd be rich - and still loving and playing TS3 every day as I do now. I don't know why people are of such delicate sensibilities that they can't play and enjoy their game knowing someone else doesn't like it. It's ludicrous.

I can only assume their love for the game is fragile IE somewhere deep down they know it's not that good but they're determined to enjoy it and get upset when someone brings them closer to their true feelings.

Daring points

I have seen a few 'supporters' give in and later admit that after trying for too long they finally realise that they just don't enjoy it as much as they thought they did. I don't know, I cannot speak for everyone but reactions have always been mixed and a lot of those who started out enjoying TS4 have disappeared or seem to be less focused on it.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Clk1143 wrote: »
    I didn't realize this was a thread for only those who dislike the game. I don't believe that was the intentions of the OP at all, nor do I think people should have to give evidence and have a huge debate on why they like or dislike the game. As far as liking or dislike the game it's all very subjective. I personally have listed many times why I like sims 4, and I have listened to others who dislike the game as well with an emphatic ear. I'm not sure that's what this post was suppose to be about though, perhaps I am missing something?

@Clk1143 - You're right in that that wasn't the original question; however, do you not think that's in inevitable that people will give evidence as to why or why not they think it is or isn't past its prime? I think people are expanding on the yes or no question, which is a good a thing and if you look at the OP, there are actually a few different questions and they actually say some of the things that they don't enjoy about The Sims 4.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member

Oh apparently it does.

Daring points

I have seen a few 'supporters' give in and later admit that after trying for too long they finally realise that they just don't enjoy it as much as they thought they did. I don't know, I cannot speak for everyone but reactions have always been mixed and a lot of those who started out enjoying TS4 have disappeared or seem to be less focused on it.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/140582/breathe-deeper-clean-install-for-dummies/p1

Does this look like someone who's playing on a different team?
    Or maybe, just maybe I'm a fan of the Sims with an opinion that differs from yours?
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    aricarai wrote: »

@Clk1143 - You're right in that that wasn't the original question; however, do you not think that's in inevitable that people will give evidence as to why or why not they think it is or isn't past its prime? I think people are expanding on the yes or no question, which is a good a thing and if you look at the OP, there are actually a few different questions and they actually say some of the things that they don't enjoy about The Sims 4.

Yes that is true, people will give evidence of why they believe it is or is not past it's prime, though demanding that others do is going a bit too far. I just believe some of these posts have gone a little too far off topic 'tis all. :)
  • Options

Yes that is true, people will give evidence of why they believe it is or is not past it's prime, though demanding that others do is going a bit too far. I just believe some of these posts have gone a little too far off topic 'tis all. :)

Fair play. I've probably been guilty of straying off topic in the past - I think it's bound to happen.
  • Options

Oh apparently it does.

Daring points

I've seen pretty much the same, what strikes me as interesting how much the pro crowd feel the need to keep shouting down anyone criticism of TS4 and more importantly, how they do so.

I have seen posters on these forums claim that the personality system of TS4 has more depth and scope than the systems of either TS2 or 3 (a comment which left me sitting there thinking what the plum?) or that TS4's emotions are superior to the expression of emotions in 2 or 3 (another WTP moment)... I genuinely don't understand or comprehend these arguments.

Here's a perfect example (originally posted to Swiftlover13):
    Sorry but this is neither insightful, nor fair to this wonderful game. The Sims 4 is like the earlier versions of the game totally depending on your fantasy and will to explore and eventually experiment. As a regular player of all 4 versions, I find The sims 4 the best of them all. Playing it every day, and it leaves me speechless for all the possibilities, and we are still getting more.

4 months? You must be kidding, and you think you have tried it all? did you explore all the hidden places? Did you send your scientist through the wormhole or having a male sim abducted and pregnant? Have you played with same sex sims, one being able to impregnant the other, and the other being able to get pregnant? Have you tried resourrecting the two wonderful ghosts north of Windenburg and play with them? They have a lot to tell you, and shows you a totally other side of the game.

Have your sims been running a restaurant? Become a super musician? Have you played a robber or a king? Well, and there is much more like haveing an orphanage and a university. OK, I simply don't believe, you have tried "everything".

Speechless for all the possibilities?, we can't have sims travel through wormholes/timemachines/into the future, get alien impregnated or resurrect ghosts in TS3?

I don't get it, most of those things are available in the previous games and done far better, how can they possibly be an argument for the superiority of TS4?
    raw
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    thevogel wrote: »
    And you know...while we all sit and discuss it over and over in thread after thread of all the disappointments....everyone over at EA is just ignoring the forum and coming up with the next $10 to $20 pack to cushion their wallets with.

At this point...they don't care if we like it, what we want changed, and I'm sure they are not even looking to make a Sims 5.

They have made a game that they wanted...they have now dictated to us how we are to play it by making it as limited as possible. If we want more...we are going to have to pay for it...but not all at once..no no...they are going to drag it out into as many little fractions of stuff packs and game packs that they can.

They only real change any of us can give this game...is to stop buying it. Stop buying the game, the packs, the excuses, and stop buying into the lies that "they are listening".

If this franchise is "past it's prime", then we can blame EA for that. A game like the sims, if done right, could be a fantastic full enjoyable game, that doesn't need Expansion packs, and game packs...etc. they needed to re-invent it... not break it up into tiny pieces at 10 bucks a pop.

I also don't think there will be a sims 5. There's nothing left for them to do. And there's no other way they can make it interesting. What new innovation is there to let simmers live out the lives of their sims?

What they are doing now is saying...."go here! Do this! But you can only do it here! The calls to go out are annoying. My sim doesn't know you yet you want to go to bear night? Or alien night? Or ghost night? These things have ruined my game. No! I don't want to go to those! Why can't I just go to the bar when I want? And I feel like I have to leave when those events occur because it generates a whackload of townies who I have to go and delete afterwards.

Concerning the little fractions of SPs and GPs, I consider this games dlc far better than Sims 3 and it's store. THAT IS called the sucker game and getting people to spend a buck for a hairstyle? Ludicrous. $20 for 1 lot? Ludicrous.

But I agree. EA has ruined the Sims. It ruined everything Will Wright made possible for us in 1 and 2.
  • Options
    fullspiral wrote: »
    And you know...while we all sit and discuss it over and over in thread after thread of all the disappointments....everyone over at EA is just ignoring the forum and coming up with the next $10 to $20 pack to cushion their wallets with.

At this point...they don't care if we like it, what we want changed, and I'm sure they are not even looking to make a Sims 5.

They have made a game that they wanted...they have now dictated to us how we are to play it by making it as limited as possible. If we want more...we are going to have to pay for it...but not all at once..no no...they are going to drag it out into as many little fractions of stuff packs and game packs that they can.

They only real change any of us can give this game...is to stop buying it. Stop buying the game, the packs, the excuses, and stop buying into the lies that "they are listening".

If this franchise is "past it's prime", then we can blame EA for that. A game like the sims, if done right, could be a fantastic full enjoyable game, that doesn't need Expansion packs, and game packs...etc. they needed to re-invent it... not break it up into tiny pieces at 10 bucks a pop.

I also don't think there will be a sims 5. There's nothing left for them to do. And there's no other way they can make it interesting. What new innovation is there to let simmers live out the lives of their sims?

What they are doing now is saying...."go here! Do this! But you can only do it here! The calls to go out are annoying. My sim doesn't know you yet you want to go to bear night? Or alien night? Or ghost night? These things have ruined my game. No! I don't want to go to those! Why can't I just go to the bar when I want? And I feel like I have to leave when those events occur because it generates a whackload of townies who I have to go and delete afterwards.

Concerning the little fractions of SPs and GPs, I consider this games dlc far better than Sims 3 and it's store. THAT IS called the sucker game and getting people to spend a buck for a hairstyle? Ludicrous. $20 for 1 lot? Ludicrous.

But I agree. EA has ruined the Sims. It ruined everything Will Wright made possible for us in 1 and 2.

If you do a price to price comparison on DLC versus the Sims 3 store, yes, the store was more expensive; however, if you look at the quality (or the possibilities of what you could do with items), I think the store was much better. Plus, it lent itself very well for contests and the generosity of other Simmers was incredible back in those days!
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

If you do a price to price comparison on DLC versus the Sims 3 store, yes, the store was more expensive; however, if you look at the quality (or the possibilities of what you could do with items), I think the store was much better. Plus, it lent itself very well for contests and the generosity of other Simmers was incredible back in those days!

No. I bought a few. The arts center gave me the glass blower and something else for $20. Bored of it after a couple of visits. It's the same in every iteration. A $20 GP for sims 4, however, offers MUCH more.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited December 2016

I agree with the phone calls. I have no idea how many times Marsha called to tell my sims they haven't called her in a while in S2. Oh. Marsha, Marsha, Marsha... that little girl couldn't take a hint if it smacked her upside the head with a wrecking ball. I never even made an attempt to make my child sims friends with her. Yet her desperation wreaked like smack.

Hated it.

Sims 3 party invites. Umm, no... I'm busy doing things I want to do. I don't want to be constantly badgered. And I don't want my sims checking their texts and acting disappointed over it. It was a collective decision. They wanted to build that skill or cook that meal, or whatever it was. Not to mention they were also hungry, tired, and had to go to the bathroom, and god forbid they try to eat at the party. Then there's the roaring libido of love letters and gifts that have me to the point of only getting the mail once a week and deleting each message with a lack of interest.

A bit cheaty too--the gifts.

S4. Again. No. Even worse than the first 2, actually.

'Want to party tonight?'
    *eating breakfast* 'Sure. Why not. I have plenty of time to get ready until then.'
    Wait. You meant right now!? <<--6 am.

*poofed to the middle of nowhere alone*

Perfect.

Sorry. But wth is that?

TBH. As I think of it now. I'm not sure if The Sims ever did hit their prime or if I did.

I know we all want a different level of growth in our games. I know we all want something different.

I do get something out of each of the games, but the social aspect has always been a red hot mess in each one for me. I remember how disappointed I was when they said they were bringing back invites and texts into S4 via a patch due to my past experiences. I was even more let down when I saw it in action.

All I ask, EA, is if you're going to introduce an 'awesome' feature, could you at least put some fricken thought into it?
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    @TOLKIEN as always, I applaud you for getting every type of conversation going here.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Its seems @king_of_simcity7 that TS4 is just about the only game in the history of gaming to actually go backwards. lol I have to laugh otherwise I'll cry... or rant!

No, lots of other games lost a lot in modern incarnations:
    - The new Dungeon keeper (app) is basically not even as good as the very first DK.
    - Mass effect 3 lost a lot of fans when everything players did in previous games was completely ignored and they were given a crummy ending.
    - Dead Space 3 killed the series after previously available in-game items became pay to get in this version.
    - Dragon Age wasn't immune from going backwards, losing cities in Inquisition and a lot of content.
    - C&C 4 went back to a time before it even began as well, turning from an RTS into a cheap RTT (ultimately killing the long standing series stone dead)
    - Crysis 2+ the Nano suit went for a tactical powerhouse to a fancy suit of armour and was essentially de-clawed (at least you didn't have to pay real money for it though)
    - Syndicate was flattened by its remake, and the crown was eventually grabbed by Satellite Reign.
    - SimCity 2013 ended up being a cheap excuse of a SimCity game, the series is effectively dead with the most recent version being nothing more than a mobile app, the city builder crown passing to Cities: Skylines.
    - The more modern Ultima's not only repeated a lot of the mistakes of their predecessors but actually built upon them, adding in bugs, lag and loss of content.

here's a comment from the death of Ultima IX that should send shivers down the spines of Sims players: The game was said to be made to attract a more general gamer audience with little or no knowledge of previous Ultimas... Doesn't that sound familiar?

Now you may have noticed that all of these series that I have mentioned (and I can name a LOT more) all have one thing in common, every single series was published under EA and every single one has gone down the same road to ruin.
    raw
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't seem to find these pro-TS4 bullies & hecklers some of you keep going on about are hiding. If they were out in full force a couple of years ago, you have clearly beaten them into submission with your opinion sticks.

Seems to me every thread criticiszing TS4 rolls along swimingly until someone makes the fatal error of suggesting that perhaps if the perfect Sims game has already been made, maybe you should still be happily playing it?

Man the right to express our opinions torpedos, load the post is off topic gun, fire the threat to have poster banned canon... offender is demolished. everyone high fives, on to the next battle. Rinse lather repeat....

So resounding and comnplete is your victory, you are now policing the boards making sure TS4 cheerleaders don't get out of line?
    "Show me yoiur list" lol you have got to be kidding/i]me. B)

What exactly is the purpose of this post?

If you like The Sims 4 then go play it. Coming into threads that are obviously not pro-Sims 4 and complaining because they are negative is a complete waste of your time and energy. People are free to come and go as they please here - there are plenty of threads for happy players like yourself to interact with other happy players instead of entering into negative threads. Your continued presence in this thread tells me you are just trying to pick fights and start problems instead of communicating.

This thread was asking questions. The thread title is a question. There's nothing "obvious" about the anwser here, or the questions wouldn't been asked. Answering "no" to the questions has as much validity as answering "yes" here.

But you don't just say 'no' and move along, do you? You have to impress why your 'yes' is right and why everybody else's 'no' is wrong.

BIG difference if you ask me.

--T

Why should people have to answer with one word and move along ? Why can't they post their feedback ? Do you think people should have answered 'yes' and move along too ? Why would there be a difference between 'yes' and 'no' ?
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

- The new Dungeon keeper (app) is basically not even as good as the very first DK.
    - Mass effect 3 lost a lot of fans when everything players did in previous games was completely ignored and they were given a crummy ending.
    - Dead Space 3 killed the series after previously available in-game items became pay to get in this version.
    - Dragon Age wasn't immune from going backwards, losing cities in Inquisition and a lot of content.
    - C&C 4 went back to a time before it even began as well, turning from an RTS into a cheap RTT (ultimately killing the long standing series stone dead)
    - Crysis 2+ the Nano suit went for a tactical powerhouse to a fancy suit of armour and was essentially de-clawed (at least you didn't have to pay real money for it though)
    - Syndicate was flattened by its remake, and the crown was eventually grabbed by Satellite Reign.
    - SimCity 2013 ended up being a cheap excuse of a SimCity game, the series is effectively dead with the most recent version being nothing more than a mobile app, the city builder crown passing to Cities: Skylines.
    - The more modern Ultima's not only repeated a lot of the mistakes of their predecessors but actually built upon them, adding in bugs, lag and loss of content.

here's a comment from the death of Ultima IX that should send shivers down the spines of Sims players: The game was said to be made to attract a more general gamer audience with little or no knowledge of previous Ultimas... Doesn't that sound familiar?

Now you may have noticed that all of these series that I have mentioned (and I can name a LOT more) all have one thing in common, every single series was published under EA and every single one has gone down the same road to ruin.
    EA series aren't the only series which have gone backwards. An example is the Might&Magic series which became better and better until it reached its top with Might&Magic VI. Might&Magic VII and Might&Magic VIII were almost as good though. But Might&Magic IX can only be described as a disaster which you can read more about on http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/might-and-magic-ix-review/1900-2861194/

The series was later attempted to be revived with Might&Magic X which really feel like a Might&Magic game either. But I have only seen it very shortly without getting into it. It didn't feel like a Might&Magic game at all either. But Might&Magic VI is a game that I have played through a lot of times and it is still clearly my favorite :)

Hopefully the Sims games haven't reached their top yet. (But TS2 and TS3 were clearly better than TS4.)
  • Options

Oh apparently it does.

Daring points

I've seen pretty much the same, what strikes me as interesting how much the pro crowd feel the need to keep shouting down anyone criticism of TS4 and more importantly, how they do so.

I have seen posters on these forums claim that the personality system of TS4 has more depth and scope than the systems of either TS2 or 3 (a comment which left me sitting there thinking what the plum?) or that TS4's emotions are superior to the expression of emotions in 2 or 3 (another WTP moment)... I genuinely don't understand or comprehend these arguments.

Here's a perfect example (originally posted to Swiftlover13):
    Sorry but this is neither insightful, nor fair to this wonderful game. The Sims 4 is like the earlier versions of the game totally depending on your fantasy and will to explore and eventually experiment. As a regular player of all 4 versions, I find The sims 4 the best of them all. Playing it every day, and it leaves me speechless for all the possibilities, and we are still getting more.

4 months? You must be kidding, and you think you have tried it all? did you explore all the hidden places? Did you send your scientist through the wormhole or having a male sim abducted and pregnant? Have you played with same sex sims, one being able to impregnant the other, and the other being able to get pregnant? Have you tried resourrecting the two wonderful ghosts north of Windenburg and play with them? They have a lot to tell you, and shows you a totally other side of the game.

Have your sims been running a restaurant? Become a super musician? Have you played a robber or a king? Well, and there is much more like haveing an orphanage and a university. OK, I simply don't believe, you have tried "everything".

Speechless for all the possibilities?, we can't have sims travel through wormholes/timemachines/into the future, get alien impregnated or resurrect ghosts in TS3?

I don't get it, most of those things are available in the previous games and done far better, how can they possibly be an argument for the superiority of TS4?

The thing is not everyone wants to play as a scientist an have a male Sim become pregnant through an alien abduction.

I have one abduction in TS2, just to see what it was like. I have had a few in TS3 and I always rejected the notification to allow my male Sim to become pregnant. Once I think I even 'reset' a Sim though a cheat to prevent an abduction.

I like the novelty of it, it would add a bit of spice to the game but it is not how I play my game.

The thing is, there is some content in TS4 but it is not what everyone asks for.

I see a lot of requests for toddlers, Pets and Seasons but where are they? Toddlers are regarded 'base game' content as they have been in at least two base games. What actually defines base content has always been debatable but eve the most anti toddler player cannot deny that they have been one of the most requested features in TS4. Pets and Seasons have always been EP content but players are starting to question if we will even get them and if we do, could they even be that good anyway?

I actually think that some weather effects and at least cats and dogs could be base content to be built upon at a later date. More life stages have been requested even in TS3, pre teens or more of a focus on different adult stages maybe.

Like I said, players expect progression and as there seems to be a lack of that compared to the previous games that seems to be what creates a lot of complaints.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Erpe wrote: »

EA series aren't the only series which have gone backwards. An example is the Might&Magic series which became better and better until it reached its top with Might&Magic VI. Might&Magic VII and Might&Magic VIII were almost as good though. But Might&Magic IX can only be described as a disaster which you can read more about on http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/might-and-magic-ix-review/1900-2861194/

The series was later attempted to be revived with Might&Magic X which really feel like a Might&Magic game either. But I have only seen it very shortly without getting into it. It didn't feel like a Might&Magic game at all either. But Might&Magic VI is a game that I have played through a lot of times and it is still clearly my favorite :)

Hopefully the Sims games haven't reached their top yet. (But TS2 and TS3 were clearly better than TS4.)

IMO the M&M series went down when they went from 3D with 2D sprite creatures (which allowed for massive numbers of monsters) to full 3D (far smaller battles), it seems the new engine was so badly bugged, that it took most of their efforts just to get it 'somewhat' working.

True that EA games aren't the only ones to go backwards, but they are by are VERY clear margin the most prolific, and they always travel down the exact same road to ruin, again and again.
    raw
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »

IMO the M&M series went down when they went from 3D with 2D sprite creatures (which allowed for massive numbers of monsters) to full 3D (far smaller battles), it seems the new engine was so badly bugged, that it took most of their efforts just to get it 'somewhat' working.

True that EA games aren't the only ones to go backwards, but they are by are VERY clear margin the most prolific, and they always travel down the exact same road to ruin, again and again.

As I have said before, I have seen a lot of games go 'down hill' over time. EA are actually pretty decent if you look at some other companies out there.

Take Theme Hospital by Bullfrog, I think they have since been taken over by EA. The game is pretty old now, almost 20 years old but it was a fun game back in the day.

Years later, in 2007 you had 'Hospital Tycoon by another publisher. It was a new take on Theme Hospital and could have had potential but there were some bugs that made the game unplayable such as patients would no longer spawn meaning you couldn't complete a level. The publisher then either went bust or stopped production meaning these bugs that made the game unplayable where never fixed. The game was left as a broken game and a few players where unhappy with it. That was back in 2007, the so called 'glory days' of gaming perhaps.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg