Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Planet Coaster has hand holding while walking so why can t Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I'm guessing GTA has cars because it's about cars?? There's a lot Sims has that GTA or Fallout don't. But fundamentally, they're different creatures. And all of them are more than a laundry list of objects.
    Sims is about simulating life. Cars in most countries are part of daily life. So I don't really follow this argument.

(I do think holding hands is really hard to do in this game by the way, but it would be awesome)

I agree the sims should have cars but I believe what @luthienrising is trying to say is you can't compare the way other games are programed to the sims 4. They are all programed differently and each have a different type of game play. This includes Planet Coaster. Planet Coaster has some very high specs and is playing plum on the highest end computers. Imagine EA created such a game that the highest end computers could not handle it. I suspect steam is issuing a lot of refunds for Planet Coaster. Computers need to be affordable and be able to handle the games they are running. IMO EA should have stuck to the sims 3 engine and we probably would have gotten more game play out of the sims 4.

PC runs just fine on my computer, and although it's a very solid gaming computer, it's not the newest of the newest. Also, the patches they release are truly focused on fixing what doesn't work and adding what people want (already so shortly after release) that I'm sure they'll iron out a lot of issues as time goes on. And, actually, most people in the PC communities also have faith in these devs & believe they want to make this playable to anyone owning a gaming computer. What bugs me is that people think their games should run on low-end laptops (not saying you said that though :) ). It's never been like that. Games are for gaming PC's, if you don't own one, then don't expect to run most games. Even TS4, since CL, doesn't run too well on my laptop anymore (but I have almost no issues on my gaming computer). It's just not possible to make a really, really good game with lots of options & features, a decent amount of simulation, and excellent specs available to just about anyone and any device. And I sincerely hope they'll remember this when they make TS5. And everyone who asks for a refund because a pc game doesn't run on their laptop without solid graphics card, should get their refund & realize that sometimes, you need to spend a little more for quality - especially in the realm of technology. Anyway, just my opinion ...

I don't play Planet Coaster but @chesterbigbird does. Chester helps in tech and is a computer build expert. She has a GTX 1080, i7 skylake and 16 gb ram. I was just reporting on the other page what she had posted and is experiencing with the game. She did tell me the patches have been making the game better however she still has to disable certain things at the moment and when the worlds are larger she claims the game becomes unplayable. Hopefully they are able to fix these issues or a lot of people playing the game will be left in the dust.

Being that Planet Coaster does require a better gaming computer many may not be able to play it. Those are the highest specs I have currently seen in a game. Most people can't afford top of the line computers to run a game like this although computers have come down in price since 2009 when the sims 3 came out. They were making TS4 while still making TS3. EA may not have seen the future in gaming hardware and the fact that it would advance so much since then. If there is a TS5 one can hope the game will advance while still being able to be played on a gaming computer most can afford.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Sims_4funn wrote: »
    @phoebebebe13 @chesterbigbird @Mstybl95 @Cinebar @blueturtleotter

Sooooooo.... Basically Maxis/EA cannot afford the engine it would take to make the game more realistic and coincide with today's tech?.... OR they are concerned that not enough people would buy it because they wouldn't be able to afford the PC needed to play it on?

Back when the sims 3 was issued a lot of people could not afford a computer to run the game. PC's have come down in price since then. The average PC to run the sims 3 or 4 desktop $700 USD now. This was a big issue for many since back when the sims 3 was issued you were looking at a few thousand to run the game properly.

The sims 4 was originally olympus an on line game that they switched to PC. The engine is limited. Why they went this route with the game only EA can answer. The requirements are the same for TS3 and 4 only the games are programed differently. If they chose to continue with the same engine as TS3, TS4 might not be as limited.

We get people all the time in tech that want to spend $500 or less for a PC on this game. $500 or less gets you a PC for general use and is not meant to run any PC game that has actual requirements to run. Many dont want to spend the money on a PC but they are willing to drop a lot of money on the game and then find out their PC can't run it. There are a few heavy gamers that also play the sims however majority don't want to buy a gaming PC just to play the sims.

If EA made a game as powerful as coaster planet you would be looking at thousands of dollars on a desk top PC to run the game. Gaming laptops are even more expensive than desktop. Chester has a new top of the line desktop PC and is having issues with Coaster Planet. Imagine what it is doing to lesser PCs .

The Sims 3 was very successful despite its requirements for an expensive gaming PC; so successful it supported the release of 2 EPs a year, something The Sims 4 is unable to do even though it is designed to run on toasters. I don't think, if it is true, that The Sims 4 was designed to run on low spec computers was to increase sales, is working because they'd be releasing more content for it if it was selling well.

I personally knew 2 people who purchased new computers just so they could play The Sims 3 at launch. People will pay a lot of money to play a game they love. Gaming is an expensive hobby and if your computer is not designed to play games, you should not expect them to run on your general purpose machine. The Sims series should not be held back. There will never be innovation and improved A.I. if Maxis do not utilise modern technology. The series will stagnate.

The Sims 4 bought nothing new to the series. The Sims in it could not even react as well as sims in the predecessors until they patched the game a year after release.

If a game wows players, is innovative and has fantastic gameplay, players will upgrade to play it.

You know a few people who did. I know many more people who did not buy computer for the sims 3 or did not buy a computer until later when the computers dropped in price. Im one of them. I was not spending thousands of dollars on a computer to play the sims 3. I actually stopped buying the game when the computer I had at the time could not handle the game. I did not buy the rest of the game until I could afford a computer to play it. There is no way I would drop thousands of dollars on a computer for this game since I would rather play most games on console. There are plenty more like me. I do help in tech and the average person (which is a majority) would not spend thousands of dollars on a computer. There are more non PC gamers playing this game than there are heavy gamers that would spend thousands of dollars on a gaming computer. Again we get people all the time in TS3 Tech section stating they are coming back to sims 3 because they can now afford to buy a computer. They will ask what kind of computer they need. We also get newbees and the occasional person who still bought a plum computer and can't run the game.

EA wants to make money. The more people that can play the game, the more sales they make. If the sims 4 does not cater to you, don't play it. I don't play it. Im fine with still playing 2 and 3.

Not tryna be rude here but you gotta admit you personally couldn't vouch for over a billion people world wide... I don't think you can make the statement about what and how many people would buy what... I would need to see some sourcing on your claims about people not spending ridiculous amounts of money on what they really want and go to the ends of the earth to get it... My point? Too many people in the world and with just about everything in our life that is digital you can not make a claim like that with out proof. Even if you knew 100,000 people who made the same choice as you, the math on what you speak still wouldn't add up. Especially when a company who would aimlessly continue to produce a game to consumers they have no idea why they are buying their product but they do anyway... and paying for a game in smaller increments overtime doesn't reduce the price of the hobby one decides to invest in. ijs

One could say the same for you. Yes you are rude and should not speak for others ( Two People :s ) .. EA is in the USA. We are in financial crisis but Im not getting into politics here. I can only tell you what I see in tech and so can others that help in tech. Most do not want to spend the money. Same happened with the sims 3. They want to play the game but don't want to or cant afford to buy the hardware to play it even though the game itself is expensive.Some get the game packs for birthdays or holidays as gifts because they can't just go out and buy the game. A lot of people come in tech stating they don't want to spend the money for a gaming computer when all they do is play the sims. The proof is all over the forum if you came into tech to help, or search the forum for every post. Have fun searching

To keep this on topic as I stated in a previous post , You want a sims game like planet coaster? Good luck with that. That game is so poorly optimized it wont play on the highest end of computers. A lot of people having problems with that game. If EA made such a game they would loose a lot of money.

Im sorry you did not get the game you wanted with the sims 4 but no need to take it out on your fellow players. At this point your just baiting so I am done discussing anything with you.

@phoebebebe13
    I was sincere when I said that my goal was not to be rude, and I am sorry you took it that way. In no way am I taking anything out on players I am just expressing the opposite of what you are saying... I do understand that it is impossible to observe the tone of comments on an impersonal platform so I choose not to take offense to what people say to me about my comments, I think it is the cordial thing to do. Anyhow, I see your point, though I still disagree. :)

I can only tell you what I see from helping in tech for both 3 and 4. I do have friends in here that game heavy and ones that don't. The old sims 3 forum, I did have friends and many did leave because they did not have the hardware to run the game. Many were not expecting EA to up their game from sims 2 to 3 but they did. Everyone was use to the sims 1 and 2 running on almost any computer. There also seems to be a lot more kids playing the sims 4 than 3. We have spoken to many of them in tech and tell them to save their money if their budget is $500 or less for a computer. Most parents don't or will not buy a $2000 + computer for their children. You can buy 4 or 5 consoles for that. Most of the people who game on computer and have expensive hardware are the adults. When I got my gaming laptop I would not let my son near it. I bought him a cheap laptop which he destroyed. Taking care of a gaming computer takes a little bit more effort and kids destroy things.

Your friends are not representative of the whole crowd. The proof, despite the fact that TS3 needed major hardware, it still sold in record breaking numbers. If people are gamers, they will find a way to play. Yes there were some who couldn't, but the game still sold. It sold so well that there was an endless barrage of content released. And people still bought that. Even when it was ridiculously overpriced. Because that game with its innovative design and game changing features was worth it.

I have no clue the real numbers of TS4. What I do know is their release cycle is nowhere near as aggressive and is mostly counterintuitive to the game selling well. They are counting free updates as part of the cycle. Free! What I see is that people who are buying this game are not willing to spend more then a stuff pack and probably prefer just the free content. I think the release cycle speaks to how the game is performing overall. And EA overall does not see The Sims as a viable source of revenue...it doesn't even get a blurb in quarterly earnings calls like it used to. Before release - it's The Sims, it will sell. Now - *crickets

Its not just my friends. I do help in tech and you don't. I feel like a broken record and some of you are taking this thread way off topic and borderline trolling and baiting. Yes the sims 3 sold and still sells however I can tell you how many people in tech still cant play the game because they still buy plum computers that cant run it. There are also many people now buying better computers because they are more affordable and can now afford computers to play the sims 3.Many watch videos to get free sim points. Just because a game sells does not mean it's being played. I bought the sims 4 however I have not bought more for the game and I don't play it. Many more in here like me. Try putting this thread back on topic.

Well, from a business standpoint, it doesn't really matter if people continue to play the game. It matters that they continue to buy for it. And more people proved they were willing to keep buying for TS3 even if they didn't play it. That's why they invested heavily into it. TS4 on the other hand is not being heavily invested in. Which, from a business standpoint, is a telling sign.

From a business standpoint it's good for EA if it's selling but not good for the player if they bought the game, they cant get a refund even though their computer can't handle the game and cant afford a computer to play it. These people won't buy more for the game. I have seen a lot of people in tech buying the sims 3 at target or walmart in the $5 bin and then find out their computer cant play it. We are getting newbees when the game goes down in price. Steam just had a huge $4.99 sale on the sims 3. A lot of people buying on steam to avoid the 1.69 patch. With the sims 4 if people dont continue to buy the game this does hurt EA. The game is exclusive to EA. We get a few that will only buy anything for the sims 4 or 3 if it's on sale. The game can get expensive with all the add ons.
  • Options
    I'm guessing GTA has cars because it's about cars?? There's a lot Sims has that GTA or Fallout don't. But fundamentally, they're different creatures. And all of them are more than a laundry list of objects.
    Sims is about simulating life. Cars in most countries are part of daily life. So I don't really follow this argument.

(I do think holding hands is really hard to do in this game by the way, but it would be awesome)

Sims is about all of life, of which cars are one small part, even if that's daily for some people. There's a difference between being about the full scope of life and being about driving.
    GTA isn't all about driving and cars either ;)

It depends on who is playing the game. I prefer to drive just so I can listen to K109. When my son plays I don't like when he gets out of the car to do a mission and cuts off songs I like :p
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

Sooooooo.... Basically Maxis/EA cannot afford the engine it would take to make the game more realistic and coincide with today's tech?.... OR they are concerned that not enough people would buy it because they wouldn't be able to afford the PC needed to play it on?

Back when the sims 3 was issued a lot of people could not afford a computer to run the game. PC's have come down in price since then. The average PC to run the sims 3 or 4 desktop $700 USD now. This was a big issue for many since back when the sims 3 was issued you were looking at a few thousand to run the game properly.

The sims 4 was originally olympus an on line game that they switched to PC. The engine is limited. Why they went this route with the game only EA can answer. The requirements are the same for TS3 and 4 only the games are programed differently. If they chose to continue with the same engine as TS3, TS4 might not be as limited.

We get people all the time in tech that want to spend $500 or less for a PC on this game. $500 or less gets you a PC for general use and is not meant to run any PC game that has actual requirements to run. Many dont want to spend the money on a PC but they are willing to drop a lot of money on the game and then find out their PC can't run it. There are a few heavy gamers that also play the sims however majority don't want to buy a gaming PC just to play the sims.

If EA made a game as powerful as coaster planet you would be looking at thousands of dollars on a desk top PC to run the game. Gaming laptops are even more expensive than desktop. Chester has a new top of the line desktop PC and is having issues with Coaster Planet. Imagine what it is doing to lesser PCs .

The Sims 3 was very successful despite its requirements for an expensive gaming PC; so successful it supported the release of 2 EPs a year, something The Sims 4 is unable to do even though it is designed to run on toasters. I don't think, if it is true, that The Sims 4 was designed to run on low spec computers was to increase sales, is working because they'd be releasing more content for it if it was selling well.

I personally knew 2 people who purchased new computers just so they could play The Sims 3 at launch. People will pay a lot of money to play a game they love. Gaming is an expensive hobby and if your computer is not designed to play games, you should not expect them to run on your general purpose machine. The Sims series should not be held back. There will never be innovation and improved A.I. if Maxis do not utilise modern technology. The series will stagnate.

The Sims 4 bought nothing new to the series. The Sims in it could not even react as well as sims in the predecessors until they patched the game a year after release.

If a game wows players, is innovative and has fantastic gameplay, players will upgrade to play it.

You know a few people who did. I know many more people who did not buy computer for the sims 3 or did not buy a computer until later when the computers dropped in price. Im one of them. I was not spending thousands of dollars on a computer to play the sims 3. I actually stopped buying the game when the computer I had at the time could not handle the game. I did not buy the rest of the game until I could afford a computer to play it. There is no way I would drop thousands of dollars on a computer for this game since I would rather play most games on console. There are plenty more like me. I do help in tech and the average person (which is a majority) would not spend thousands of dollars on a computer. There are more non PC gamers playing this game than there are heavy gamers that would spend thousands of dollars on a gaming computer. Again we get people all the time in TS3 Tech section stating they are coming back to sims 3 because they can now afford to buy a computer. They will ask what kind of computer they need. We also get newbees and the occasional person who still bought a plum computer and can't run the game.

EA wants to make money. The more people that can play the game, the more sales they make. If the sims 4 does not cater to you, don't play it. I don't play it. Im fine with still playing 2 and 3.

Not tryna be rude here but you gotta admit you personally couldn't vouch for over a billion people world wide... I don't think you can make the statement about what and how many people would buy what... I would need to see some sourcing on your claims about people not spending ridiculous amounts of money on what they really want and go to the ends of the earth to get it... My point? Too many people in the world and with just about everything in our life that is digital you can not make a claim like that with out proof. Even if you knew 100,000 people who made the same choice as you, the math on what you speak still wouldn't add up. Especially when a company who would aimlessly continue to produce a game to consumers they have no idea why they are buying their product but they do anyway... and paying for a game in smaller increments overtime doesn't reduce the price of the hobby one decides to invest in. ijs

One could say the same for you. Yes you are rude and should not speak for others ( Two People :s ) .. EA is in the USA. We are in financial crisis but Im not getting into politics here. I can only tell you what I see in tech and so can others that help in tech. Most do not want to spend the money. Same happened with the sims 3. They want to play the game but don't want to or cant afford to buy the hardware to play it even though the game itself is expensive.Some get the game packs for birthdays or holidays as gifts because they can't just go out and buy the game. A lot of people come in tech stating they don't want to spend the money for a gaming computer when all they do is play the sims. The proof is all over the forum if you came into tech to help, or search the forum for every post. Have fun searching

To keep this on topic as I stated in a previous post , You want a sims game like planet coaster? Good luck with that. That game is so poorly optimized it wont play on the highest end of computers. A lot of people having problems with that game. If EA made such a game they would loose a lot of money.

Im sorry you did not get the game you wanted with the sims 4 but no need to take it out on your fellow players. At this point your just baiting so I am done discussing anything with you.

@phoebebebe13
    I was sincere when I said that my goal was not to be rude, and I am sorry you took it that way. In no way am I taking anything out on players I am just expressing the opposite of what you are saying... I do understand that it is impossible to observe the tone of comments on an impersonal platform so I choose not to take offense to what people say to me about my comments, I think it is the cordial thing to do. Anyhow, I see your point, though I still disagree. :)

I can only tell you what I see from helping in tech for both 3 and 4. I do have friends in here that game heavy and ones that don't. The old sims 3 forum, I did have friends and many did leave because they did not have the hardware to run the game. Many were not expecting EA to up their game from sims 2 to 3 but they did. Everyone was use to the sims 1 and 2 running on almost any computer. There also seems to be a lot more kids playing the sims 4 than 3. We have spoken to many of them in tech and tell them to save their money if their budget is $500 or less for a computer. Most parents don't or will not buy a $2000 + computer for their children. You can buy 4 or 5 consoles for that. Most of the people who game on computer and have expensive hardware are the adults. When I got my gaming laptop I would not let my son near it. I bought him a cheap laptop which he destroyed. Taking care of a gaming computer takes a little bit more effort and kids destroy things.

Your friends are not representative of the whole crowd. The proof, despite the fact that TS3 needed major hardware, it still sold in record breaking numbers. If people are gamers, they will find a way to play. Yes there were some who couldn't, but the game still sold. It sold so well that there was an endless barrage of content released. And people still bought that. Even when it was ridiculously overpriced. Because that game with its innovative design and game changing features was worth it.

I have no clue the real numbers of TS4. What I do know is their release cycle is nowhere near as aggressive and is mostly counterintuitive to the game selling well. They are counting free updates as part of the cycle. Free! What I see is that people who are buying this game are not willing to spend more then a stuff pack and probably prefer just the free content. I think the release cycle speaks to how the game is performing overall. And EA overall does not see The Sims as a viable source of revenue...it doesn't even get a blurb in quarterly earnings calls like it used to. Before release - it's The Sims, it will sell. Now - *crickets

Its not just my friends. I do help in tech and you don't. I feel like a broken record and some of you are taking this thread way off topic and borderline trolling and baiting. Yes the sims 3 sold and still sells however I can tell you how many people in tech still cant play the game because they still buy plum computers that cant run it. There are also many people now buying better computers because they are more affordable and can now afford computers to play the sims 3.Many watch videos to get free sim points. Just because a game sells does not mean it's being played. I bought the sims 4 however I have not bought more for the game and I don't play it. Many more in here like me. Try putting this thread back on topic.

Well, from a business standpoint, it doesn't really matter if people continue to play the game. It matters that they continue to buy for it. And more people proved they were willing to keep buying for TS3 even if they didn't play it. That's why they invested heavily into it. TS4 on the other hand is not being heavily invested in. Which, from a business standpoint, is a telling sign.

From a business standpoint it's good for EA if it's selling but not good for the player if they bought the game, they cant get a refund even though their computer can't handle the game and cant afford a computer to play it. These people won't buy more for the game. I have seen a lot of people in tech buying the sims 3 at target or walmart in the $5 bin and then find out their computer cant play it. We are getting newbees when the game goes down in price. Steam just had a huge $4.99 sale on the sims 3. A lot of people buying on steam to avoid the 1.69 patch. With the sims 4 if people dont continue to buy the game this does hurt EA. The game is exclusive to EA. We get a few that will only buy anything for the sims 4 or 3 if it's on sale. The game can get expensive with all the add ons.

But this all doesn't negate that people bought in record numbers on release day...even from the store. I am guilty. I have been buying on release day and preorder since TS1. Katy Perry and TS4 was when I stopped all that. During the sims lifecycle, I have upgraded or updated my computer at least 8 times that I can remember. I think people underestimate how many gamers (PC gamers) there are out in the world. People like me don't visit tech forums because we already struggled though life in the 90s and learned everything we need to know to make games run smoothly. I consider tech forums for people who aren't really that into the game in the first place. People dabbling in it that can go either way...buy more or less. TS has always been considered a casual game, but I don't think EA realized how many core of gamers play this game. Or how many people used to use it for other reasons like creating machinima or architecture or city planning. Heck, my school used to use it in a city planning class. I am one of the people that doesn't see TS4 as a lost cause, but I am also one of the people that continually sees them making really bad design decisions. If they opened the game to more creativity and started actually trying to attempt the things they deem too hard or expensive, it would draw people back into the game. Bit this game needs a drastic amount of content for that to happen and they do not want to invest in it. It's their loss because this franchise is still going strong, but EA decided to kill it with bizarre decisions. And I hope they see that the community is still here waiting for something better instead of letting Ts4 be the end of the series. I'd really like it if sims could hold hands and walk in groups. I honestly think that is the type of "impossible" tasks that would help the world feel more alive. I was looking at the scenery in CL...they didn't even bother making those FX walkers walk in groups or couples. That's pathetic. Even at a crosswalk people are grouped.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Am I the only one still hoping for sleep cuddling to make comeback? I miss sleep cuddling :(
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Me reading this thread:
    21nm9oy.jpg
    Keep dreaming OP.
    Am I the only one still hoping for sleep cuddling to make comeback? I miss sleep cuddling :(

No, you're not the only one.. :'(
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    meeoun wrote: »

clipart-forever-alone-256x256-5400.png

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    meeoun wrote: »

clipart-forever-alone-256x256-5400.png

2pql4hu.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2016

Sims is about all of life, of which cars are one small part, even if that's daily for some people. There's a difference between being about the full scope of life and being about driving.

It depends on who is playing the game. I prefer to drive just so I can listen to K109. When my son plays I don't like when he gets out of the car to do a mission and cuts off songs I like :p
    LOL, I never played the game myself but follow my son every now and then, while he keeps throwing people out of cars, stealing them, and shooting or knocking down everyone that's in his way and doing all kind of missions, he constantly has the police on his tail. "Hey, a siren, is that...?" "Yeahyeahyeah." "And why do you play The Pet Shop Boys?" "What's The Pet Shop Boys?" "What's playing, that's The Pet Shop Boys." "Oh, yeah, I don't know, it's on the channel."
    And actually I told him once: if I'd play this game I'd just tirelessly drive around that awesome open American world, complying with the rules of the road and never get into trouble :D He's says it's clearly not my game :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

LOL, I never played the game myself but follow my son every now and then, while he keeps throwing people out of cars, stealing them, and shooting or knocking down everyone that's in his way and doing all kind of missions, he constantly has the police on his tail. "Hey, a siren, is that...?" "Yeahyeahyeah." "And why do you play The Pet Shop Boys?" "What's The Pet Shop Boys?" "What's playing, that's The Pet Shop Boys." "Oh, yeah, I don't know, it's on the channel."
    And actually I told him once: if I'd play this game I'd just tirelessly drive around that awesome open American world, complying with the rules of the road and never get into trouble :D He's says it's clearly not my game :p

I did not know the game had the pet shop boys too :p I love Cerone why I listen to K109. You throw people out of cars, beat them up, whole lot of shooting and they send you on missions. If you ever want to play just drive and listen to the radio. LOL. And....... don't play on line or other players will hunt you down and kill you.
  • Options

I did not know the game had the pet shop boys too :p I love Cerone why I listen to K109. You throw people out of cars, beat them up, whole lot of shooting and they send you on missions. If you ever want to play just drive and listen to the radio. LOL. And....... don't play on line or other players will hunt you down and kill you.
    Yeah, I know, it's really entertaining to follow my son when that happens :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

@phoebebebe13

But this all doesn't negate that people bought in record numbers on release day...even from the store. I am guilty. I have been buying on release day and preorder since TS1. Katy Perry and TS4 was when I stopped all that. During the sims lifecycle, I have upgraded or updated my computer at least 8 times that I can remember. I think people underestimate how many gamers (PC gamers) there are out in the world. People like me don't visit tech forums because we already struggled though life in the 90s and learned everything we need to know to make games run smoothly. I consider tech forums for people who aren't really that into the game in the first place. People dabbling in it that can go either way...buy more or less. TS has always been considered a casual game, but I don't think EA realized how many core of gamers play this game. Or how many people used to use it for other reasons like creating machinima or architecture or city planning. Heck, my school used to use it in a city planning class. I am one of the people that doesn't see TS4 as a lost cause, but I am also one of the people that continually sees them making really bad design decisions. If they opened the game to more creativity and started actually trying to attempt the things they deem too hard or expensive, it would draw people back into the game. Bit this game needs a drastic amount of content for that to happen and they do not want to invest in it. It's their loss because this franchise is still going strong, but EA decided to kill it with bizarre decisions. And I hope they see that the community is still here waiting for something better instead of letting Ts4 be the end of the series. I'd really like it if sims could hold hands and walk in groups. I honestly think that is the type of "impossible" tasks that would help the world feel more alive. I was looking at the scenery in CL...they didn't even bother making those FX walkers walk in groups or couples. That's pathetic. Even at a crosswalk people are grouped.

Yes there are plenty of people that pre-ordered. Im not one of them. There are plenty of people who bought the game later.There were people that also pre-orderd the sims 4 and are upset with what they got for their money compared to other sims games. The sims 4 is limited. There is nothing we can do about it. Your not going to get sims holding hands as others stated. EA did what they did with this game and we can't change it. Complaining about it won't help. I read somewhere in another thread the Gurus don't like coming in this forum because it's too toxic. The fights of TS3 vs TS4 .How many times threads get started over and over I want Toddlers, I want this or that. I understand the game is lacking for many. I dont own CL or would I want a talking toilet but this thread is not about CL. If you don't like it don't buy it or ask for a refund.

I disagree that tech is for those who don't know PCs or the game . There are plenty of people that know what their doing but they need extra help from someone else. Sometimes for upgrades. Sometimes it's game help or mod help. I will also state there are plenty of people who buy gaming computers and don't know how to use them. Again your not in tech helping to see the issues.

• Options

Yeah, I know, it's really entertaining to follow my son when that happens :D

Its a cool game but not my kind of game. I love the radio stations. My son does not like playing on line unless he is playing with his friends on line. He did a few missions and races with chesterbigbird :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Being that Planet Coaster does require a better gaming computer many may not be able to play it. Those are the highest specs I have currently seen in a game. Most people can't afford top of the line computers to run a game like this although computers have come down in price since 2009 when the sims 3 came out. They were making TS4 while still making TS3. EA may not have seen the future in gaming hardware and the fact that it would advance so much since then. If there is a TS5 one can hope the game will advance while still being able to be played on a gaming computer most can afford.
    I have a feeling that EA thinks less of Sims players: Less likely to have a decent rig, less likely to do anything more than make pretty Sims, more likely to drop $10 or so on microtransactions every now and then...They probably think better of, say, the dude-bro crowd with the sports and the shooters.

My ten-year-old rig, upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 at its peak, recently died, and so I transferred the GPU (AMD Radeon R7 260X) and the hard drives into a new barebones rig based around an AMD FX8350, chosen as it was the minimum "recommended" processor for Planet Coaster, and for HTC Vive in the future. Planet Coaster has me on medium/low settings to maintain 1080p, and Vive doesn't support my modest GPU (or my living room, but that's another story).

I wouldn't even call myself that hardcore. I only upgraded because the old machine was becoming so unreliable.

I don't work for EA so we can all sit here guessing why they went the route they did. We don't know what is going on behind closed doors. Gurus hands maybe tied and executives are telling them what they can put out and this is the budget. The whole bro thing, talking toilets etc. Not something I want in a game.

Your computer is a mid range gaming desktop. So is mine. I have an intel i5 4000 series and an Evga 960 superclock 4gb with 16 gb ram. It runs what I need it to. My sims games all play on ultra. Im not playing Planet Coaster but would not want to play on low/med. if EA made a sims game as demanding as Coaster Planet , I would not be running out to upgrade my computer to play it. If they make a sims 5 in the future and up their game by then I will need a new computer anyway. My current computer would probably be outdated. :p

If you read user chesterbigbird has a 1080, i7 skylake with 16 gb ram and Planet Coaster is dropping her fps to 20. She said you need to shut off certain things to make the game play better. Pm her and ask her what she has found to work around with the game that might help your game play.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Not comparable.

Not 100% on this, but I believe in Planet Coaster, some people move as groups and are therefore "attached" when walking around. One person in the group turns left, everyone in the group turns left. You could easily match this question of yours with "why can't people in Planet Coaster stop holding hands?" Because aside from when they're on a ride, they're treated as one mobile unit.

Secondly, it's important to realize Planet Coaster has people doing two things: walking and riding rides. As such, of course they focus more attention to this detail. The Sims? Where would they hold hands and walk? All the neighborhoods are really small so it'd be a short trip no matter where you are. Not really worth the effort.

I disagree, you can compare. Sims in 4 often act as a single group in Get Together.

Don't sims walk as a group in Get Together? One turns left, they all turn left.

Clubs_Walking_1.jpg

The same when they group dance. They are not acting as individuals; they are one unit all performing the exact same actions.

Les-Sims-4-Vivre-ensemble-13.jpg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gNBEApWAjEI

Hand-holding in The Sims would be the same as in Planet Coaster, whilst doing it, the two sims would be one mobile unit whilst walking to a particular destination.

I agree that the worlds are so small in 4 it'd be a short trip, but still it'd be a nice feature for a couple to do it randomly now and then. This is the fourth iteration; one would expect it be more nuanced and it is little things like this that woudl make the sims appear more human.

And in response to the bold part, not all npcs in Planet Coaster hold hands, and the ones that do, as far as I am aware, do not do it all the time. There are also family units walking around that have couples holding hands with children not holding anyone's hand at all, yet they all move as one unit. NPCsalso put their arms around each other and can walk whilst doing so.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IPYrcfABF1s

This is a roller coaster sim. If Maxis were making it, they would have used the excuse that they wanted to focus on the roller coasters themselves and so thought it would be a waste of budget to add complex animations to the random NPCs. It is little details like this that make a game feel more immersive.

Planet Coaster is being praised so much because they have made a solid game that has detail in all areas like a modern game should have. They did not work with the modus operandi of what can we cut like Maxis appear to do with every release, but instead put in what they could to make the game more immersive.

Honestly, who'd've thought they would have gone to that much detail for the NPCs that are often out of focus due to the level of zoom? It just shows the dedication of the company and their developers to make a fantastic game that wows their players.

What have we had in 4 that wows? All we ever get is short cuts, limitations and lack of detail all for a premium price.

Your comparison of groups doesn't change the fact that Sims are still their own individual units, each one self-contained. Yes, when they're in a group, they can do the same actions together, but the difference between the groups in the Sims and the ones in Planet Coaster are that they don't have to do the actions together. IN Planet Coaster, all of them have to go on a ride, none of them can separate from each other. In the Sims, if Sims are in a group together, they don't have to go to the bathroom together, they can separate and go by themselves. And the groups in Sims can be broken up, and each Sim can just go back to being their own. Doesn't happen in Planet Coaster, each group stays together from the day they enter the park to the day they leave.

Yes, both of them are groups, but the difference is how each individual person in that group is treated. The guests always stay together and every action they do is with each other. The Sims can separate from each in groups, and don't all do the same action like a hive-mind.
    Stop comparing apples to oranges.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Not comparable.

Not 100% on this, but I believe in Planet Coaster, some people move as groups and are therefore "attached" when walking around. One person in the group turns left, everyone in the group turns left. You could easily match this question of yours with "why can't people in Planet Coaster stop holding hands?" Because aside from when they're on a ride, they're treated as one mobile unit.

Secondly, it's important to realize Planet Coaster has people doing two things: walking and riding rides. As such, of course they focus more attention to this detail. The Sims? Where would they hold hands and walk? All the neighborhoods are really small so it'd be a short trip no matter where you are. Not really worth the effort.

I disagree, you can compare. Sims in 4 often act as a single group in Get Together.

Clubs_Walking_1.jpg

The same when they group dance. They are not acting as individuals; they are one unit all performing the exact same actions.

Hand-holding in The Sims would be the same as in Planet Coaster, whilst doing it, the two sims would be one mobile unit whilst walking to a particular destination.

I agree that the worlds are so small in 4 it'd be a short trip, but still it'd be a nice feature for a couple to do it randomly now and then. This is the fourth iteration; one would expect it be more nuanced and it is little things like this that woudl make the sims appear more human.

And in response to the bold part, not all npcs in Planet Coaster hold hands, and the ones that do, as far as I am aware, do not do it all the time. There are also family units walking around that have couples holding hands with children not holding anyone's hand at all, yet they all move as one unit. NPCsalso put their arms around each other and can walk whilst doing so.

This is a roller coaster sim. If Maxis were making it, they would have used the excuse that they wanted to focus on the roller coasters themselves and so thought it would be a waste of budget to add complex animations to the random NPCs. It is little details like this that make a game feel more immersive.

Planet Coaster is being praised so much because they have made a solid game that has detail in all areas like a modern game should have. They did not work with the modus operandi of what can we cut like Maxis appear to do with every release, but instead put in what they could to make the game more immersive.

Honestly, who'd've thought they would have gone to that much detail for the NPCs that are often out of focus due to the level of zoom? It just shows the dedication of the company and their developers to make a fantastic game that wows their players.

What have we had in 4 that wows? All we ever get is short cuts, limitations and lack of detail all for a premium price.

Your comparison of groups doesn't change the fact that Sims are still their own individual units, each one self-contained. Yes, when they're in a group, they can do the same actions together, but the difference between the groups in the Sims and the ones in Planet Coaster are that they don't have to do the actions together. IN Planet Coaster, all of them have to go on a ride, none of them can separate from each other. In the Sims, if Sims are in a group together, they don't have to go to the bathroom together, they can separate and go by themselves. And the groups in Sims can be broken up, and each Sim can just go back to being their own. Doesn't happen in Planet Coaster, each group stays together from the day they enter the park to the day they leave.

Yes, both of them are groups, but the difference is how each individual person in that group is treated. The guests always stay together and every action they do is with each other. The Sims can separate from each in groups, and don't all do the same action like a hive-mind.

That's a simulation scenario. What you are describing is a case by case effect rather than the only way that anything can be done ever. In Planet Coaster the guests don't need to be finely tuned to break away and do things as individuals. They are there as part of the overall illusion of running a theme park. The simple fact that they move in groups adds value to the visual effect as you witness guests roaming around. They made children with parents. It's cool to see. I remember playing the old Tycoon games and City games and thinking it seems so fake because the people don't act like real people.

In a game like TS4, I don't necessarily think groups have to work for active families, though I think it would be nice. But for sims walking around the neighborhood, it would create a far better illusion to see them walking in groups. Families, children running, teens hanging out in groups, joggers jogging in groups. Considering TS4 is 65% scenery, this would at least add to it.

As for active families, I think it would be nice having them arrive somewhere in a group and then let them break off to do their own thing. That would give the illusion of unity...I'd love it for parents to be able to walk with their kids to the playground area and then break off. The way it is now, the way it has always been is very individualized. I'd like to see the sims break the mold and advance in this department. I think most simulation players have been asking for this since the 90s, maybe early 2000's.

OT - I bought Planet Coaster and decided to give it a go on my laptop. Works great, haven't had any issues with it. Although my settings are medium, I think it looks amazing! I seriously lost about 6 hours playing already. And I can just stare at my little people wandering around all day. Also...first person rides...is there a VR mode? My kids have been "going on the rides" all day. LoL
  • Options
    I could imagine @HIFreeBirdIH has a point though... I'm going to talk my kids into wanting Planet Coaster by the way. I'm curious :mrgreen: (but not sure enough if it's for me to buy it for myself)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    Planet Coaster is on my wishlist, I already have games that I'm playing at the moment though so there's no need for me to buy it just yet, but I'll buy it eventually.

One of the biggest communities on GTA V Online is the racing community. Thousands of players race in competitive and non-competitive matches every day, this is what my friends and I mostly do. Thanks to the content editor, players can create their own race courses and incredible ones are being added everyday, both stunt and non-stunt (proper racing).

To me, racing is a lot more fun than just blowing someone up or getting blown up. All the cars have different physics and handling so you have to know how a certain car will handle in a certain situation, and upgrades (like spoilers) change the performance too. In all, it's a very complicated system and a big community has taken shape around all that GTA V offers.

In all, pulling people out of their cars and killing other players is just a small part of GTA V Online. Racing is a small part too. But I think you can begin to see how big and open the world of GTA V Online is, there is a lot to do and a huge number of options for fun. This is the kind of sandbox play I wish Sims 4 had, that it was flexible enough so that many play styles could enjoy Sims 4, much like the racing community can enjoy GTA V Online.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited December 2016

Ah you don't know how much fun I've had doing exactly that though :D Getting a car, driving around & listening to music, while trying really hard to comply with the "rules of the road" (no speeding, no running people over, stopping at red lights, not crashing into anything). It's surprisingly challenging sometimes in GTA to do that cause the other drivers aren't exactly super intelligent either lol. :D So you can definitely spend hours doing that, even if it's not really what the game was made for xD Although that's one thing I love about GTA (even if GTA V changes that dynamic quite a bit): the fact that you can play the game the way you're "supposed" to, or that you can just literally do "whatever" and still have a blast :D
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Ah you don't know how much fun I've had doing exactly that though :D Getting a car, driving around & listening to music, while trying really hard to comply with the "rules of the road" (no speeding, no running people over, stopping at red lights, not crashing into anything). It's surprisingly challenging sometimes in GTA to do that cause the other drivers aren't exactly super intelligent either lol. :D So you can definitely spend hours doing that, even if it's not really what the game was made for xD Although that's one thing I love about GTA (even if GTA V changes that dynamic quite a bit): the fact that you can play the game the way you're "supposed" to, or that you can just literally do "whatever" and still have a blast :D
    I might give that a try then ^.^ Yes, it is a game with loads of possibilities, I can certainly see that. I'm just absolutely not into the violence/fighting thing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited December 2016
    Not comparable.

Clubs_Walking_1.jpg

I'm not comparing apples to oranges. You're making a strawman argument when you point out that the sims in 4 act as individuals therefore one should not compare the animations in the game to another.

I'm pointing out that these animations Maxis claim would be very time consuming and expensive are in another game. Planet Coast is a rollercoaster sim. It is a game about the rides, not the people walking around the park that a lot of the time will be out of focus due to the level of zoom. Yet that game's developers went the extra mile to do whatever they could to improve immersion and they animated group interactions.

All we are talking about here is animations. Sims acting as individuals is not relevant, because, like the visitors in Planet Coaster, there are many instances in The Sims 4 when sims do not act as individuals but as a unit when certain animations are played, for instance fights.

We are in the fourth iteration of this game now and advances such as handholding, putting arms around another sim and walking together should be in the game now. Angry walks are really not innovative.

The fact is that they could add this level of immersion but they didn't. I had such high hopes for this version of the game because with the capabilities of modern technology we should have seen a leap in immersion and A.I.

• Options
    NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    Linking entities will have you handle them as one that can of course link and unlink dynamically. While its relatively easy to do, you would have to start with it right from the beginning its much more complicated to add later because a lot of stuff will be in the way. Sims 4 went a bit into the blue here and did start without a decend plan that included addons and where the game was heading. Thats why it ended the way it did. For example when Sims dance together they not even manage to look at each other, they usually position themself awkwardly on the dance floor facing the wall turning their back on their friends and stuff, beeing totally unaware of their surrounding even if the game associates them as group or linked.
    I doubt thats something that still can be fixed in sims 4 as the group feature is now shattered between multitasking, basegame linking and addon groups. The player only is given limited control and they also need to push the sims in the right direction frequently at the same time cause they cant handle much on their own. Would be nice to see a rework of the entity handling so the sims could team up for actions dynamically or friends come by for a visit occasionally or they face the room instead of the walls and stuff like that. But well most to hope for is a separate walkstyle hand in hand that will exclude any other action while walking except talking with this person, like the "watch stars" action it will be more a "wander around" action instead of actually being able to go somewhere because of the many limitations.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,617 Member
    Because it is "too expensive!" Remember OP, we don't even have lounge chairs yet.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    mamaslubmamaslub Posts: 12 New Member
    I do miss watching my sim ride around in their car when they traveled LOL!