Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Triple Boost

I might cheat my sims some money, but never have I ever, cheated them skills or boosts in any other way.

I won't be participating in triple boost week. That, on top of lot traits, feels like "cheating" to me.

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Okay. Fair enough.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    OnendOnliYazzieOnendOnliYazzie Posts: 1,375 Member
    I'm not big on "skill cheats" either but what's great about this triple boost challenge is you have the option to have your sims needs decay slower which was perfect for my sim Dominic because he is a dj and he has to write four or five songs for his aspiration and every time I made him stop working on a mixtape to deal with his needs he could never go back to resuming the mixtape he already started and now with the triple boost he can make the songs he needs to make without stopping to fix his needs.
    I love to share my sims stories and hear about others. Got a story you want to share come talk to me!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,874 Member
    It's coming at just the right time for me as I created a new sim for City Living but haven't had time to really play. I have one sim who maxed all skills without cheats and it was fun but going through the same thing over and over again with subsequent sims just seems tedious to me. I usually max skills with a cheat.
  • Options
    foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    The boost isnt really a cheat , well its a boost.
    I used it to max some skills of my sim.
    Its better than cheats.
    I used the tripe boost week once and was able to boost writings of my sim. Because he was a teenie and books are really good for simelions
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I feel the same as you do, I don't like using the Triple Boost buffs, or the buyable traits with whim points, because they feel a bit like cheating to me. But I'm not trying to achieve things with my Sims and they are optional, so I just ignore them.

I have put some of the new lot traits that boost some skills though : I've made a whole neighborhood in Newcrest have High Internet Speed for example. I'll probably put Good Soil in the countryside of Windenburg. I'm going to give a try at modding new negative counterparts (Low Internet Speed, Bad Soil).
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Are we having that again..? I didn't do it last time, well I wasn't playing much. I'm not sure I'll be doing it now either. Maybe I'll try it? It feels bit cheaty to me as well. I use lot traits, but I'm quite selective with them. I rarely use club skill bonuses, but I have bought a couple of them because for some clubs it kind of makes sense.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Are we having that again..? I didn't do it last time, well I wasn't playing much. I'm not sure I'll be doing it now either. Maybe I'll try it? It feels bit cheaty to me as well. I use lot traits, but I'm quite selective with them. I rarely use club skill bonuses, but I have bought a couple of them because for some clubs it kind of makes sense.

Helo
    The benefits of the boosts are a little different this time. Simmers can choose whether they receive triple the amount of satisfaction points for whims or can have a decrease in the rate that their needs go down.
    These links explain about the challenge
    https://simsvip.com/2016/11/22/take-advantage-triple-boost-week-part-2-sims-4
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/news/sims-4-boost-week-satisfaction
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    I understand what the OP means. The Sims never used to be about grinding skills to get max level. It's clear that the developers want to push this grindy style of play, indicative of mobile games, on to the Sims. They really have nothing creative left in them. The sad fact is that the grind-for-XP-levels mechanism doesn't work well with sandbox type games. Just take a look at Roller Coaster World Vs. Planet Coaster. Roller Coaster World makes you unlock build items through doing repetitive and ridiculous tasks. Planet Coaster doesn't. One is on the top played list of Steam. The other can't be found at all. Care to guess which is which?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I understand what the OP means. The Sims never used to be about grinding skills to get max level. It's clear that the developers want to push this grindy style of play, indicative of mobile games, on to the Sims. They really have nothing creative left in them. The sad fact is that the grind-for-XP-levels mechanism doesn't work well with sandbox type games. Just take a look at Roller Coaster World Vs. Planet Coaster. Roller Coaster World makes you unlock build items through doing repetitive and ridiculous tasks. Planet Coaster doesn't. One is on the top played list of Steam. The other can't be found at all. Care to guess which is which?

When did the Sims ever not have skill, career, etc. levelling? And did you know that it's entirely optional to play it with that focus, just like it always has been?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I was happy that this triple boost was different this time around. You can boost your whim points OR choose to have your needs go down slowly. Once again you need to ask Challenge Coordinator Jasmine Holiday to give you whatever your boost you choose! I am only picking the whim points boost for my sims because my needs anymore seem to go down slow anyway. I don't know if it is a mod or what that is causing this!
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    Is that what the "Update available" is for? I was afraid it was a new mod-breaking patch.
    But triple boost is very welcome, seeing that I started a new save yesterday. I normally tend to ignore the whims as they add nothing to my sims' personality, just occassionally farm them for points. Might pay more attention to that aspect this week.

As for cheating, so what? The one who gets cheated is the program and so far it hasn't complained, because it and me play co-op. As long as have a story to justify restricting my sims or granting them boons it's all good.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Is that what the "Update available" is for? I was afraid it was a new mod-breaking patch.
    But triple boost is very welcome, seeing that I started a new save yesterday. I normally tend to ignore the whims as they add nothing to my sims' personality, just occassionally farm them for points. Might pay more attention to that aspect this week.

As for cheating, so what? The one who gets cheated is the program and so far it hasn't complained, because it and me play co-op. As long as have a story to justify restricting my sims or granting them boons it's all good.

There was an update on the 15th which didn't disable mods. I think that's this you're seeing.
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I might cheat my sims some money, but never have I ever, cheated them skills or boosts in any other way.

I won't be participating in triple boost week. That, on top of lot traits, feels like "cheating" to me.

Interesting - I've never used a money-gaining cheat because I feel that making money is too easy in this game already (same applied to Sims 3). I've used the cheat to *remove* funds and start from 0 and a completely empty lot, and still done fine.

I don't use any of the cheat codes for skills or needs either, but when a triple bonus promotion like this is available, I'll take advantage of it, usually with a new game. I'm currently doing a self-challenge to see how many collections I can complete with a single Sim before he reaches elder stage. Using the needs-slowing boost right after the start of this game helped, as he didn't have any nice furniture or reward traits yet.

In any case, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with a boost like this, as it's entirely optional.
  • Options
    DukeCybranDukeCybran Posts: 73 Member
    Personally, I consider the boost as 'a short-term activity' rather than 'a cheat buff', since it only provides a bit of auxiliary enhancement, and hey, that buff won't last a forever after all! Taking part in an official event is not cheat, is it? :#
    C4jGfkwVUAQbeSb.jpg:large
    My game ID: DukeCybran_TW;
    Language: English, Simplified/Traditional Chinese. Happy simming!
  • Options
    Can we have a triple 'deboost'? Cuz I wanna give away my sim's whim points. XD
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    WissaWolfWissaWolf Posts: 636 Member
    Yeah, I know, right? I was kind of dissapointed myself. I thought it would focus on skilling again (I missed the first one). I have a renaissance sim, so I thought it would be nice. A little dissapointed that it's just motives and reward points they're focusing on. I usually wrack up more than I know what to spend them on, since the rewards aren't as appealing as the ones in Sims 2. I miss the old objects they had.. that had multiple uses.. As for slower decay, isn't it already easy enough? I could understand this for Sims 1 and 2, but it's like they already decay at that rate compared to past iterations.. It's equivalent to max motives/freeze motives to me...
    @DeKay It would be fun if they had a negative side effect, like old sim games.. that were meant to be challenging.. Not everyone wants to play nice. Haha.
  • Options
    WissaWolf wrote: »
    Yeah, I know, right? I was kind of dissapointed myself. I thought it would focus on skilling again (I missed the first one). I have a renaissance sim, so I thought it would be nice. A little dissapointed that it's just motives and reward points they're focusing on. I usually wrack up more than I know what to spend them on, since the rewards aren't as appealing as the ones in Sims 2. I miss the old objects they had.. that had multiple uses.. As for slower decay, isn't it already easy enough? I could understand this for Sims 1 and 2, but it's like they already decay at that rate compared to past iterations.. It's equivalent to max motives/freeze motives to me...
    @DeKay It would be fun if they had a negative side effect, like old sim games.. that were meant to be challenging.. Not everyone wants to play nice. Haha.

Wow, that negative side effect thing is a good suggestion. The devs should take note of this for the next challenge. :)
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    You get the boost points from whims, not from skilling up? Right?

I joined it, but hardly pay attention to my whims, but when I leave her be, she seems to take care of the whims, LOL

I didn't choose the needs decay because it really doesn't decay quick enough for me, but you can switch your choice with Jasmine at any time.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    You get the boost points from whims, not from skilling up? Right?

I joined it, but hardly pay attention to my whims, but when I leave her be, she seems to take care of the whims, LOL

I didn't choose the needs decay because it really doesn't decay quick enough for me, but you can switch your choice with Jasmine at any time.

Hello
    With this challenge, you get triple the amount of points from fulfilling whims.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Thank you @rosemow <3
  • Options
    pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
    It isn't cheating at all because it's only temporary, you can only use it on one Sim at a time, and it's built-in. It's an opportunity. Plus you have to choose between two styles of it, increased aspiration points or decreased need decay.

I DO feel that the lot traits are sort of cheaty, but only because you can change them at any time. If once you picked them they were permanent, it wouldn't be so bad. I use them (and change them) anyway, though. :)
  • Options
    Daniel_USADaniel_USA Posts: 118 Member
    edited November 2016
    Don't think it is cheaty at all. I don't cheat myself money. I have played for at least 100 hours (with my current sim) and my only skill at 10 is cooking. I have other sims of course with 1 or 2 skills at 10 but not every skill. If you just cheat yourself money to buy the highest tier item then it might feel cheaty but it takes 2 to 4 real time hours to get a skill level sometimes. Personally, satisfaction points are WAYYY too low. You need to choose between saving for a buff or creating compelling gameplay by using the consumable items.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    WissaWolf wrote: »

Wow, that negative side effect thing is a good suggestion. The devs should take note of this for the next challenge. :)

Or maybe the devs should just familiarise themselves with the older games... who wants to play with Prozac sims?! Loved how you could earn rewards for high aspirations and then royally mess up your sim if you used them without paying attention to your sim's current aspiration level. Rewards that backfire are fun. I don't see how this wouldn't make boosts more interesting. Although the boost system--imo--seems a bit lame and social media oriented (all your usage stats are belong to us :unamused:)