Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Guru Grant Talks City Living’s Missing Content, Open World, and Expansion Pack Value

Comments

• Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Yes, we are at the doomsday scenario.

think I'll add to the doomsday trail of thought. The Sims 4 is dying. Before CL it wasn't this clear honestly. Now, now when everyone should be enjoying the new shiny and posting how awesome it is... The forums are nearly dead. General moves by 1 page, Ideas/Feedback/Expansions all move by less than half a page a day. And it's scary. It's scary because I've never seen The Sims forums this dead.

I haven't posted in a while but wanted to respond to this. I've been playing and enjoying my game since CL released. Although I've been checking in and reading some threads, mostly those devoted to actual gameplay, I've cut back on participation. Maybe there are more out there like me and that counts for the decrease in participation. Of course some, like you, attribute it to the game dying. I say it's probably because some are just tired of all the discord.

My thoughts precisely. I've been enjoying it too much to really be here and read all the negativity! I actually really love this pack. Definitely my favourite EP of the three so far. And I was one of those people getting bored with the game.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2016
    People going to love it and people going to be disappointed and some will even hate it but what it comes down to is the freedom to do what you feel and say how you feel good or bad. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited November 2016
    Arletta wrote: »
    One very definitely doesn't. I've not seen evidence of it on the other.

are any of them on approving posts before they're set public? Because I remember trying to start a conversation in one only to get an attack from mods in PMs and be told to leave before they throw me out. Do remember that these things are never posted publicly, as everything that they don't like, they just don't approve and throw you off privately.

Just to chime in, I was critical of this game on the Sims reddit and I was banned under mysterious circumstances. They claimed they think I'm some other guy who was already banned masquerading as a new account, thus they banned me. The thing is though that reddit will automatically ban you from the entire website if you're guilty of this, so they could've told reddit admins, they would've looked into it, and if it were true, I'd be banned from the entire website. They didn't, and instead when I questioned them as to why they suspect I'm this other guy, they either didn't respond at all or gave a very weak "our decision is final" response. Just to add to this, my reddit account is like 2 years old and active daily. Apparently I'm someone's alt though. I had no idea.

This (the Sims communities) has definitely got to be one of the most criticism-resistant communities I've encountered, and I know a lot of communities resistant to criticism. The fact of the matter is EA is known for being a rather disliked company, they're known for sinking IPs in the past (anyone heard from SimCity lately...?) and even the quotes the Gurus give us do terrible when expected to stand up to scrutiny.

Above all...? The one issue that DEFINITELY tells me this community isn't as upset/critical as it perhaps should be? I still say the practice of refusing to answer on the matter of toddlers is the #1 worst thing this company has done. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it is not normal to keep fans in the dark for 2 years and counting. Even if toddlers were to come out in January or some close release, if people have been waiting 2 years then you tell them. You give them the common courtesy of knowing all there is to know in advance and apologize for the wait. I don't care what the plum company policy is; exceptions exist and this is absolutely a time that calls for an exception to be made. If toddlers are not in development at all...? Tell them. You cannot make your customers wait for a feature that long that you have no intention of buying, and while avoiding that truth may reap short term profits, long term it's so damaging for the reputation that holy plum you may as well be trying to break a Guiness World Record for "most infamous company in human history." I wonder if EA considers itself too big to fail...?

Imagine if Gabe Newell told people that if they wanna see Half-Life 3, he expects 50% of all Steam's active users (millions of people) to buy EVERY Valve product that exists, and then after 2 years, he provided absolutely zero update on if people were close to achieving that goal or not or if it were plausible, he just let people hope we were close to getting it released. People would be livid, and you better believe there'd be petitions and boycotts calling for something to replace Steam as a service. People would see through the spiel of his and just be furious he's stringing customers along to try and make bank off their desires, even if he never had any intention of meeting demands. Amazingly, the Sims community is A-OK with being treated this poorly on the matter of toddlers, and after two years and counting, amazingly no one at EA has said "hey maybe we should come clean about this feature before it blows up, escalates and gets worse because we look like a bunch of jerks willingly exploiting our customers for short-term profit."

No the thing is, some of us choose to actually practice what we preach.
    When I saw that this game was lacking in many areas I made an informed decision I wouldn't be buying it when it launched.
    I didn't moan about it on the message boards, I simply voted with my wallet and waited for the price and content to become reasonable.

I'm not one to criticisze something before it launches, buy it...then pile on more criticism after I do. That just seems like the height of hypocracy to me.

If I buy it, It means I saw enough there to make me want to part with my money. It doesn't mean I care less than the next person...it just means I go about demonstrating my displeasure differently.

• Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    Facebook groups deletes all people who speak against Sims 4 that's why it "looks" positive, you can't really have an opinion there.

Its the same thing here, they ban people and delete a bunch of posts constantly.

I've seen some people calling this forum toxic which kinda make me laugh, I guess a lot of people never have been outside the Sims forum to think like that, swears are censored, same with a bunch of words that aren't even swears, you can't ask someone to explain their opinion/point of view without being call rude and asked to stop harassing, you can't call people names, I'm not judging saying those rules are ridiculous, their forum their rules (I understand that there's younger people here and not just adults), but this forum isn't toxic, it's so friendly that's it's obnoxious, not toxic.

Anyway, there's no place where people can totally express themselves about the Sims (4), no matter here, on Facebook or on Reddit, cause all three ban people and delete what they don't want to see. I guess the only place people can really speak up about the game is Youtube.

I dunno, as is evident I've been critical of the game since before release and I've never received so much as a warning nor had a post removed, to my knowledge at least. How the message is delivered is often as important as the message itself. Not saying these kind of things don't happen around here but it isn't universally true that they delete or hide messages and topics just because they are critical of TS4.
  • Options
    CristianoCristiano Posts: 138 Member
    Yes, we are at the doomsday scenario.

think I'll add to the doomsday trail of thought. The Sims 4 is dying. Before CL it wasn't this clear honestly. Now, now when everyone should be enjoying the new shiny and posting how awesome it is... The forums are nearly dead. General moves by 1 page, Ideas/Feedback/Expansions all move by less than half a page a day. And it's scary. It's scary because I've never seen The Sims forums this dead.

I am not so certain it's a sign that the game it is dying. It is more that these forums feel overwhelmingly negative most of the time. It's just not fun to read or participate when someone is always whining about something. Constructive criticism is fine, but the constant complaints about how much the Sims 4 sucks because it doesn't have x feature or doesn't do this is tiring to read. The developer was candid in the interview on why they made the decisions they did, but the OP felt the need to just bash those decisions. That's fine - it's their prerogative, but it doesn't make for an enjoyable read or for those who actually do love the game to want to participate in any discussions.

It's not unique to these forums. In the past few years a lot of game forums have become insufferable, with people constantly whining and bashing developers and companies, calling them incompetent, stupid, etc. It doesn't paint a very good picture of gamers - and this is from someone who loves games and used to enjoy forums. Now, most of the time I avoid them because they honestly annoy me.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Facebook groups deletes all people who speak against Sims 4 that's why it "looks" positive, you can't really have an opinion there.

Its the same thing here, they ban people and delete a bunch of posts constantly.

I've seen some people calling this forum toxic which kinda make me laugh, I guess a lot of people never have been outside the Sims forum to think like that, swears are censored, same with a bunch of words that aren't even swears, you can't ask someone to explain their opinion/point of view without being call rude and asked to stop harassing, you can't call people names, I'm not judging saying those rules are ridiculous, their forum their rules (I understand that there's younger people here and not just adults), but this forum isn't toxic, it's so friendly that's it's obnoxious, not toxic.

Anyway, there's no place where people can totally express themselves about the Sims (4), no matter here, on Facebook or on Reddit, cause all three ban people and delete what they don't want to see. I guess the only place people can really speak up about the game is Youtube.

Hm. I haven't been banned.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Please show me where I've said in my post they banned you? I never said they was banning everyone, I just said they do ban people and with the amount of posts you have don't tell me you never saw anyone got banned as often posts got deleted, maybe you haven't experienced it yourself, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Please show me where I've said in my post they banned you? I never said they was banning everyone, I just said they do ban people and with the amount of posts you have don't tell me you never saw anyone got banned as often posts got deleted, maybe you haven't experienced it yourself, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Nope. I've seen some of it. I've also seen why. *shrugs* If a tree falls in the forest, sometimes, there are others around to hear it. In other words: Just because I wasn't the witness to all doesn't mean it never happened.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Uzone27 wrote: »

No the thing is, some of us choose to actually practice what we preach.
    When I saw that this game was lacking in many areas I made an informed decision I wouldn't be buying it when it launched.
    I didn't moan about it on the message boards, I simply voted with my wallet and waited for the price and content to become reasonable.

I'm not one to criticisze something before it launches, buy it...then pile on more criticism after I do. That just seems like the height of hypocracy to me.

If I buy it, It means I saw enough there to make me want to part with my money. It doesn't mean I care less than the next person...it just means I go about demonstrating my displeasure differently.

I admit I didn't research it. I rarely research games, tbh. I'm not interested in watching others play and reviews often don't mesh with my own train of thought (or entertainment). I've bought games in the past due to great reviews and regretted it, and vice versa.

In all honesty, I did enjoy S4 at first.

I did get involved in the pre-S3 thingamajig though. I remember you from then. ;) But that's only because I was involved in the forums during that time. I wasn't involved in the forums through S3 though, so I missed out on a lot.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Games with lots of animation and complex AI are complex and expensive. This isn't Asteroids or a text-only RPG. And if you're selling a pack for $40, you can't put $80 worth of coding and animation in it. You have to make chooses. None of those choices will please everybody. I know we don't all get all our choices (I didn't, with this pack - I'll never, I think, be able to make my own house in this game - I live in a big-city downtown old rowhouse - and I'd have liked some basic elevator animation), but I don't see much point in being shocked and offended that choices have to be made. And I think that at some point, it's just basic reality that someone will like a thing I don't like or care for, and someone won't miss a thing I do miss... and maybe I'll turn out to like something that was actually chosen when it was either that or a feature I would also have liked.

The sims 3 had more animations and the price was $40 an ep. They were also printing the game, eps and packs on CD which also costs money. EA is now making all the money by locking this game into origin exclusively and now being download only. There is no middle man any more. Has the price for animation gone up that much in a few years? They were working on this game while still making the sims 3

The Sims 3 actually took all the animations from The Sims 2, and then only added new ones when they absolutely had too.

Look at Sims eating in 3, for example. It's the same 3 second animation over and over. A lot of The Sims 3's were taken from The Sims 2, and anything new for The Sims 3 are often short and sweet, and repetitive. Hence why The Sims 3 Sims were called robotic. They all walk the same, they all sit the same (completely still) etc. If you go up to a Sim to buy something in WA, they just have a conversation and then a menu pops up.
    In 2 and 4, they actually have separate animations.

The Sims 3 only used animations when it absolutely had to. A lot of it's animations are from The Sims 2 PC and some of The Sims 2 console games. Even The Sims 3 on Wii and 3DS recycle The Sims 2 & The Sims 2 Pets console games.
    And even more strange, I know Island Paradise uses animations from The Sims 3 Wii as well.

With The Sims 4, they aren't able to reuse any animations from the previous games. So they have to pick and choose what they decide to do.
    With The Sims 2, they had a lot of animations, but not for a huge variety of gameplay.
    Yes, they 'had to' when they began releasing EP's. What's your point? There are even more short cuts in Sims 4 than in Sims 3 where it comes to animations. As for 'short and sweet', just compare sims making a phonecall in the games. You are really selling nonsense as truth here.

LOL it is pretty hilarious seeing someone try and make the point that TS3 was guilty of taking shortcuts. I mean seriously hilarious. Those EP's were crammed full of just about anything you could want. TS4 taking shortcuts isn't just something they do here and there to make things work, it is a core design philosophy. Short on time? Cut life stages. Need to find a way to fix sim path finding? Remove collision. Short on budget? Put a guy in a bear suit. Short on man hours? Make apartments world exclusive... The list could go on and on.

Interesting reply.

I heard of one sneaky shortcut where whenever Sims get out of bed their automatically make their bed and thus, only one interaction to fit all.

The biggest short cut though is how your electricity or water gets cut off if you do not pay your bills. It might add some realism but it does seem to be a good way to avoid putting a repoman and associated actions in the game... :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    [

Interesting reply.

I heard of one sneaky shortcut where whenever Sims get out of bed their automatically make their bed and thus, only one interaction to fit all.

The biggest short cut though is how your electricity or water gets cut off if you do not pay your bills. It might add some realism but it does seem to be a good way to avoid putting a repoman and associated actions in the game... :no_mouth:

The shortcut is that it's all or nothing. Play rotationally? You'll see it's the whole neighbourhood that's lost electricity. Not just the sim who couldn't pay it. Invited to a party for the evening when it's 7am? You'll see that it's only text and nothing more should you accept. That's all the game is. Shallow buffs and nothing more.
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    we are doomed
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    You... you know that lobbies don't exist because the shell isn't one lot right? It's multiple lots high up in a shell, and the common area is just an extension of the public area, which explains why there's no loading screen and why the elevator just teleports you up there. If they did add a lobby, then they would teleport into the lobby and then teleport up their apartment. If the lobby was editable, then it would have its own loading screen, which everybody hates. Same reason why you can't edit common areas, because they're just public areas in a shell. The elevator is just a "teleport point" where Sims are transported to the public area right in front of the shell. Elevators aren't objects, just points of movement between the high-up public areas and the ground public areas.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    What I want to know is.. if apartments are his favorite feature of city living- why didnt they add more technology to upload them properly on the gallery?
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    One very definitely doesn't. I've not seen evidence of it on the other.

are any of them on approving posts before they're set public? Because I remember trying to start a conversation in one only to get an attack from mods in PMs and be told to leave before they throw me out. Do remember that these things are never posted publicly, as everything that they don't like, they just don't approve and throw you off privately.

Just to chime in, I was critical of this game on the Sims reddit and I was banned under mysterious circumstances. They claimed they think I'm some other guy who was already banned masquerading as a new account, thus they banned me. The thing is though that reddit will automatically ban you from the entire website if you're guilty of this, so they could've told reddit admins, they would've looked into it, and if it were true, I'd be banned from the entire website. They didn't, and instead when I questioned them as to why they suspect I'm this other guy, they either didn't respond at all or gave a very weak "our decision is final" response. Just to add to this, my reddit account is like 2 years old and active daily. Apparently I'm someone's alt though. I had no idea.

This (the Sims communities) has definitely got to be one of the most criticism-resistant communities I've encountered, and I know a lot of communities resistant to criticism. The fact of the matter is EA is known for being a rather disliked company, they're known for sinking IPs in the past (anyone heard from SimCity lately...?) and even the quotes the Gurus give us do terrible when expected to stand up to scrutiny.

Above all...? The one issue that DEFINITELY tells me this community isn't as upset/critical as it perhaps should be? I still say the practice of refusing to answer on the matter of toddlers is the #1 worst thing this company has done. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it is not normal to keep fans in the dark for 2 years and counting. Even if toddlers were to come out in January or some close release, if people have been waiting 2 years then you tell them. You give them the common courtesy of knowing all there is to know in advance and apologize for the wait. I don't care what the plum company policy is; exceptions exist and this is absolutely a time that calls for an exception to be made. If toddlers are not in development at all...? Tell them. You cannot make your customers wait for a feature that long that you have no intention of buying, and while avoiding that truth may reap short term profits, long term it's so damaging for the reputation that holy plum you may as well be trying to break a Guiness World Record for "most infamous company in human history." I wonder if EA considers itself too big to fail...?

Imagine if Gabe Newell told people that if they wanna see Half-Life 3, he expects 50% of all Steam's active users (millions of people) to buy EVERY Valve product that exists, and then after 2 years, he provided absolutely zero update on if people were close to achieving that goal or not or if it were plausible, he just let people hope we were close to getting it released. People would be livid, and you better believe there'd be petitions and boycotts calling for something to replace Steam as a service. People would see through the spiel of his and just be furious he's stringing customers along to try and make bank off their desires, even if he never had any intention of meeting demands. Amazingly, the Sims community is A-OK with being treated this poorly on the matter of toddlers, and after two years and counting, amazingly no one at EA has said "hey maybe we should come clean about this feature before it blows up, escalates and gets worse because we look like a bunch of jerks willingly exploiting our customers for short-term profit."

A friend here has been trying to convince me to join reddit through examples provided by the Fallout 4 and Skyrim subreddits. Another fact he told me plus this little emboldened part convinced me that it isn't worth joining at all.

Aren't the rumor mills still turning for any potential to talk about Half Life 3? I remember earlier this year Valve developers were recorded active on Steam in untitled projects.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    You... you know that lobbies don't exist because the shell isn't one lot right? It's multiple lots high up in a shell, and the common area is just an extension of the public area, which explains why there's no loading screen and why the elevator just teleports you up there. If they did add a lobby, then they would teleport into the lobby and then teleport up their apartment. If the lobby was editable, then it would have its own loading screen, which everybody hates. Same reason why you can't edit common areas, because they're just public areas in a shell. The elevator is just a "teleport point" where Sims are transported to the public area right in front of the shell. Elevators aren't objects, just points of movement between the high-up public areas and the ground public areas.

Oh, yet the lobbies existed without loading screens back in S2 *sighs*

Yeah. Yeah. I read your second post. I get the sarcasm. ;)
    Post edited by kremesch73 on
  • Options
    SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    edited November 2016
    aws200 wrote: »
    There's information across the web that says majority of money made from TS3 was used to make Dragon Age Inquisition and Titanfall. They're also taking money away for TS4 revenue to make Titanfall 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda. EA has been doing this for years apparently. Which would explain why TS4 is lacking depth and content through DLC. TS4 was originally Olympus, an online Sim game that was cancelled and they used assets to make TS4 in under a year due to the backlash from SimCity 2013 disaster for the always online server DRM. If anything the decision of Sims Online 2 and EA taking so much revenue from TS3 hurt Maxis and The Sims series. TS4 will never be great like the past games with so many cut corners and lack of funds.

Wow. I did not know this since I don't hang around here that much as a rule. I was always on the Sims 3 forums and have seen many of my old friends still here as I do my drivebys.

To me, this is complete and utter 🐸🐸🐸🐸 to funnel money away from a game that has existed for over a decade and has a fan base in the multiple millions. What a kick in the teeth to those of us who have been playing since Sims 1 so many years ago. EA need to have their collective heads handed to them on a platter. Seems like we need some powerful insiders placed at EA to keep the Sims series going strong and continuing to be produced in the substantial and quality way that used it used to be. Very sad, that EA would treat Sim players this way as this game series has been so profitable for them. FAIL.
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    SnowWolf58 wrote: »
    aws200 wrote: »
    There's information across the web that says majority of money made from TS3 was used to make Dragon Age Inquisition and Titanfall. They're also taking money away for TS4 revenue to make Titanfall 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda. EA has been doing this for years apparently. Which would explain why TS4 is lacking depth and content through DLC. TS4 was originally Olympus, an online Sim game that was cancelled and they used assets to make TS4 in under a year due to the backlash from SimCity 2013 disaster for the always online server DRM. If anything the decision of Sims Online 2 and EA taking so much revenue from TS3 hurt Maxis and The Sims series. TS4 will never be great like the past games with so many cut corners and lack of funds.

Wow. I did not know this since I don't hang around here that much as a rule. I was always on the Sims 3 forums and have seen many of my old friends still here as I do my drivebys.

To me, this is complete and utter plum. to funnel money away from a game that has existed for over a decade and has a fan base in the multiple millions. What a kick in the teeth to those of us who have been playing since Sims 1 so many years ago. EA need to have their collective heads handed to them on a platter. Seems like we need some powerful insiders placed at EA to keep the Sims series going strong and continuing to be produced in the substantial and quality way that used it used to be. Very sad, that EA would treat Sim players this way as this game series has been so profitable for them. FAIL.

It's not uncommon for a company to share funds. What is uncommon is for a company to sink a successful game that they're syphoning funds from. No. wait...

*doh*

It's not uncommon. Lol
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    But players had some frustrations with some celebrity elements in The Sims 3, and without really understanding why they didn’t like it, we didn’t want to jump in and do it again

So wait they listen to the people who hated the celebrity elements?

What about the people who wants it back??

For the people who really hated it they could of add a off and on switch to turn them off and on in the game that might of worked.

So I'm guessing celebrity is up with supernaturals at this point :'( sorry for being negative I just found out why celebrity are not in this game with paparazzi.