The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game freezing after the City Living patch

My game never froze before the City Living patch that just came out. Ever since the patch, it started freezing for short periods of time. (Several seconds.) That wasn't so bad, so I ignored it. Today, though, the whole game is freezing and staying frozen. It just did it three times. Argh!

Might want to check that out. I'm very excited about City Living, though. Can't wait.

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,685 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hello.
    Try playing in off line mode and see if that helps the issue.

Simmers have also been finding that their tray folder ( which holds the files of the sims and households that they have in their library ) has been causing issues.
    Try moving your tray folder to the desktop , then test to see if the issues remain. If it helps, then just put back into the new tray folder that has been generated in the sims 4 folder the files of the sims and builds that you want or need to still have in your library. You can put the files back into the tray folder as you want to use the sims or builds in your game, then take them out again afterwards.

Your tray folder ( in your sims 4 folder ) contains the files of the sims households and the lots that you have saved to your library. Each sims household contains 5 files and an extra file for each extra sim. ( 1x .householdbinary, 1x trayitem, 2x .sgi, 1x .hhi and an extra sgi file for each extra sim) A Lot consists of 6-11 files, depending on how many floors your Lot has (1 trayitem file, 1blueprint file and 4 bpi files, and an extra bpi files for each extra floor).
    You can sort the tray folder by date /time and that can help you to find which files relate to which sims household or build.
    Post edited by rosemow on
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    I discovered the patch reset my game from 64-bit to 32-bit. I had to reset it back. Maybe that was the problem? I'll play today and see if that fixed anything.
  • Options
    JaeldawnJaeldawn Posts: 93 Member
    Penelope wrote: »
    I discovered the patch reset my game from 64-bit to 32-bit. I had to reset it back. Maybe that was the problem? I'll play today and see if that fixed anything.

I had this same problem. Thank you for pointing this out, because switching back to 64-bit worked for me.
  • Options
    Jaeldawn wrote: »

I had this same problem. Thank you for pointing this out, because switching back to 64-bit worked for me.

Hello
    I am glad that switching back to 64 bit mode has helped the issue in your game.
  • Options
    happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    I haven't been freezing on gameplay, but everytime I open my library, save a household, etc things freeze for about 5 seconds. :/
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • Options
    happygurl wrote: »
    I haven't been freezing on gameplay, but everytime I open my library, save a household, etc things freeze for about 5 seconds. :/

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having this issue.
    Try moving your tray folder to the desktop and testing to see if that helps the issues. Doing that has been helping other simmers with this issue.
  • Options
    happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello
    Try moving your tray folder to the desktop and testing to see if that helps the issues. Doing that has been helping other simmers with this issue.

That worked, thanks. :) The only thing is, I don't know what files to put back in because there are no pictures or names of the lots/sims in the tray folder on my desktop...
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello

That worked, thanks. :) The only thing is, I don't know what files to put back in because there are no pictures or names of the lots/sims in the tray folder on my desktop...

Hello
    Your tray folder ( in your sims 4 folder ) contains the files of the sims households and the lots that you have saved to your library. Each sims household contains 5 files and an extra file for each extra sim. ( 1x .householdbinary, 1x trayitem, 2x .sgi, 1x .hhi and an extra sgi file for each extra sim) A Lot consists of 6-11 files, depending on how many floors your Lot has (1 trayitem file, 1blueprint file and 4 bpi files, and an extra bpi files for each extra floor).
    You can sort the tray folder by date /time and that can help you to find which files relate to which sims household or build.

Some simmers use the tray importer tool to help them with seeing /organising the files in their tray folder.
    http://luniversims.com/files/file/73-sims-4-tray-importer/
    http://simsvip.com/2016/02/22/custom-showcase-the-sims-4-tray-importer-by-deevo/
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    Apparently switching the game back to 64-bit didn't work. I'm still getting freezing. *Sigh*
  • Options
    Apparently switching the game back to 64-bit didn't work. I'm still getting freezing. *Sigh*

I am sorry :( Try playing in offline mode and see if that helps your issue.
    Try moving your tray folder to the desktop then test to see if that helps.
  • Options
    WizardOfRozWizardOfRoz Posts: 92 Member
    I repaired. I moved the Sims 4 folder out and started fresh. I have no mods or cc. I checked and I am running the appropriate 64bit version. I am having this issue.
    A LOT.
  • Options
    I repaired. I moved the Sims 4 folder out and started fresh. I have no mods or cc. I checked and I am running the appropriate 64bit version. I am having this issue.
    A LOT.

Hello
    Try playing in offline mode and see if that helps the issue.

Simmers have also been finding that their tray folder ( which holds the files of the sims and households that they have in their library ) has been causing issues.
    Try moving your tray folder to the desktop , then test to see if the issues remain. Don't delete the tray folder though
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2016/10/lags-and-freezes-patch-1-24-102/
  • Options
    mscosmomscosmo Posts: 118 Member
    I'm having the problem with lagging also. I'd like to try moving my tray folder, but don't know how to find it. I went into Control panel n found the Sims 4, but it only gave me the option to uninstall the game. I'm sorry, but I'm old and don't have a lot of computer knowhow. Can someone please tell me where and how to find the tray folder. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    mscosmo wrote: »
    I'm having the problem with lagging also. I'd like to try moving my tray folder, but don't know how to find it. I went into Control panel n found the Sims 4, but it only gave me the option to uninstall the game. I'm sorry, but I'm old and don't have a lot of computer knowhow. Can someone please tell me where and how to find the tray folder. Thanks.

Hello @mscosmo
    The tray folder is in Documents -electronic arts-sims 4 -tray.
    The tray folder is in the sims 4 folder. When you move it to your desktop or another part of your computer , don't delete the folder when you place it there. Keep it there on the desktop or other area of your computer because it contains the files of all the sims and builds that you have in your library.
  • Options
    mscosmomscosmo Posts: 118 Member
    Thanks rosemow, you are away there with an answer.
    I'll give it a try.
  • Options
    simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
    It might have something to do with clicking on settings, I noticed a glitch. Whenever I click on settings my game will start to freeze
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    simgame wrote: »
    It might have something to do with clicking on settings, I noticed a glitch. Whenever I click on settings my game will start to freeze

Hello
    Does your game start to freeze when going to game options? If it does, try moving to the desktop the options or options.ini file that is in your sims 4 folder and see if that helps the issue.

If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if the issue is still there. If it has helped with the issue, put your mods/ CC back into the newly generated mods folder that is in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the causes of the problem.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder

• Options
    kayk84kayk84 Posts: 17 New Member
    OK. I've fixed some of my lagging issue but now when I try and go to the gallery it freezes for a very long time only way I get out is to hit the ESC button..this only after CL..
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    kayk84 wrote: »
    OK. I've fixed some of my lagging issue but now when I try and go to the gallery it freezes for a very long time only way I get out is to hit the ESC button..this only after CL..

Hello
    Some Simmers have been finding that their tray folder ( which holds the files of the sims and households that they have in their library ) has been causing issues when using the Gallery.
    Try moving your tray folder to the desktop , then test to see if the issues remain. Don't delete the tray folder though, because the tray folder contains all the sims and builds that you.
    When you go to the library, the only items there will be the EA sims and builds.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    @rosemow If move my tray folder to my desktop and I can play my game, how will I access my library? Won't a new tray folder be created? If so, what do I do with that tray folder the next time I want to play? Eventually, I'll have a desktop full of tray folders.

Are game saves in that folder or in another folder?

If I move all my library stuff to the gallery and delete everything I saved to the gattery, can I access my stuff from there without the old tray folder?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    @rosemow If move my tray folder to my desktop and I can play my game, how will I access my library? Won't a new tray folder be created? If so, what do I do with that tray folder the next time I want to play? Eventually, I'll have a desktop full of tray folders.

If I move all my library stuff to the gallery and delete everything I saved to the gattery, can I access my stuff from there without the old tray folder?

Games saves are in Saves, not Tray. Moving your Tray folder out won't affect them at all. What I've done is to move my Tray files into a separate folder in a way that I can identify what they are, so I only have to move back the ones I'm looking for, not all of them. I used Sims 4 Tray Importer for this. It can gather together every file for each household or lot and export it to its own Zip folder, with a meaningful filename. I've organized all those into subfolder in my "Tray Backup" folder. If I save more in game or download more, I can just Zip those up and move them too. Advantage: I wasn't moving 4,000 files back in the other day just to get the Altos into my game! (I'd downloaded them last week.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Games saves are in Saves, not Tray. Moving your Tray folder out won't affect them at all. What I've done is to move my Tray files into a separate folder in a way that I can identify what they are, so I only have to move back the ones I'm looking for, not all of them. I used Sims 4 Tray Importer for this. It can gather together every file for each household or lot and export it to its own Zip folder, with a meaningful filename. I've organized all those into subfolder in my "Tray Backup" folder. If I save more in game or download more, I can just Zip those up and move them too. Advantage: I wasn't moving 4,000 files back in the other day just to get the Altos into my game! (I'd downloaded them last week.)

Thanks Luth, I'll give that a try tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Hello @Dannydanbo
    When you move your tray folder to the desktop, a new tray folder will be generated. All the sims/builds that you have saved to your library will be in your tray folder on the desktop.
    If you don't need to access those sims or households, you can just keep the same new tray folder in the sims 4 folder. You don't need to keep taking it out each time.
    Your save game files are in your save folder and are not affected by the removal of the tray folder.
    It is a good idea to save all your sims/builds to the community section of the gallery. You can access them from there. Before deleting the sims/builds from your library, make a backup copy of your tray folder and place it on the desktop or an external drive.
  • Options
    Thanks rosemow, I'll try this.