The latest update addressed the crashing issue that some of you have been experiencing, Click here to found out more!
November 27 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.

World adventures EP $40.00?!

Yeah I'm going to rant on the price! even though I can probably scratch up $40 some dollars (after tax) to buy the game is it really worth it to be paying that much for a small EP?! Which isn't even a stand alone game, the features its adding are alright in there own way but dang I feel like EA & Maxis are taking advantage of us hardcore simmers by charging us $40 for this EP when the sims 3 has left some of us feeling empty compared to the sims 2 & the EP we had while playing it.

I have bought every one of the sims game that has launched even the stuff packs never once complained but this kinda turns my stomach a bit, if this EP doesn't deliver I may not be spending around $40 bucks on the next EP. Most of us work all day for $8-10 an hour, to most folks $40 can be a frustrating price to pay for a EP that will probably add only a few features to the game the sims 2 EP wasn't really worth $30 probably $20 at the most? and its no joke that this EP isn't going to add anymore gameplay to the sims 3 then those sim 2 EP added to the sims 2. :cry::cry::cry:

Just saying if us buyers & fans & hardcore simmers don't stand up for ourselves then they will keep on adding to the price until we're paying over $50 for the sims EPs and thats just ripping us off...

Comments

  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,905 Member
    edited November 2009
    Target had the base for $15 less only month after it was released, just check back from time to time to see if it's on sale. Look for it on Ebay. You don't want to buy it on release day anyway because its probably going to be buggy.

    Edit: Also consider how much time you spend playing the game, if you spend 10 hours a week for 3 years playing it then that brings the cost to pennies?/an hour. I don't want to do the math, but I know cost would low compared to a cable bill.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited November 2009
    There is an old saying: You can afford what you *want* to afford.

    Let me remind everyone that nobody twisted your arms to buy the Sims 3 in the first place, even though you all *knew* it was going to be costly. You decided *that* all on your own.

    EA is going to offer the expansion pack at whatever price the market will bear, and since there you, yourself admitted, @SuRihtanil, you can probably scrape up the $40 from somewhere if you want the game badly enough, it kind of undercuts your argument.

    The way I see it, you have several options:

    Buy the game when it comes out, and pay full price for it.

    On the *other* hand, you could wait til the game goes on sale around the holidays, and then buy it.

    OR, you could teach EA a lesson and not buy it at all. That's your choice.

    Personally, since I *have* no money, I'll have to wait to get my copy, and by then, perhaps the thing will be on sale and I won't have to pay full price for it. Sounds good to me.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Heaven1vaHeaven1va Posts: 11
    edited November 2009
    Checkout my new community lot "The Farmers Market" all the free special and rare plants u can harvest Even a Money Tree!
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited November 2009
    Heaven1va wrote:
    Checkout my new community lot "The Farmers Market" all the free special and rare plants u can harvest Even a Money Tree!

    How rude can you be? This has *nothing* to do with the topic at hand.

    And I certainly will *not* check out your new community lot. I suggest you take some time to learn some manners before you post on this topic again.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,905 Member
    edited November 2009
    You know the "Blow off Steam" moodlet that sims get after they vent, sometimes simmers need to get things off their chest too.

  • kcpzkcpz Posts: 549
    edited November 2009
    SuRihtanil wrote:
    Yeah I'm going to rant on the price! even though I can probably scratch up $40 some dollars (after tax) to buy the game is it really worth it to be paying that much for a small EP?!
    If you've looked at all the previews and reviews from fans that attended the SIMposium, a good majority bring up price and size. Those who brought it up said this is the biggest EP ever made and they see it being worth that extra money because the EP is a game in its own right. Personally I wouldn't know since I wasn't there and haven't played it, but those who have aren't outraged by the price anymore ;)
    SuRihtanil wrote:
    Which isn't even a stand alone game, the features its adding are alright in there own way but dang I feel like EA & Maxis are taking advantage of us hardcore simmers by charging us $40 for this EP when the sims 3 has left some of us feeling empty compared to the sims 2 & the EP we had while playing it.
    Just pointing out that Maxis hasn't been in the picture for a few years now :XD:
  • ErikMTLErikMTL Posts: 93
    edited November 2009
    I don't think $40 is that bad. Yes, it's more than Sims 2 EP were. However, another monster game in the PC marketplace charges full new game price for their expansion packs, and the game already has a monthly fee attached to it.

    In truth, I'm thankful that game prices haven't risen more than they have. If I think back to when I was younger, NES games were around $50 as far as I can recall. The same for Genesis and SNES games. I was a little young and didn't have an Atari of my own, but I think carts for the 2600 were $40-50 as well.

    However, the cost to make games has skyrocketed since then. It's an entirely different business now, and many of the huge games have movie-like budgets. Thus far we've been very lucky.

    I'm not happy, exactly, that expansions for TS3 will cost more than they did for TS2, but I'm also aware that it could be a lot worse. Just ask the 1500 former EA employees who wish that there was more money coming into the company so that they could have kept their jobs this week.
  • GreatWallStrGreatWallStr Posts: 1,688 New Member
    edited November 2009
    SuRihtanil wrote:
    Yeah I'm going to rant on the price! even though I can probably scratch up $40 some dollars (after tax) to buy the game is it really worth it to be paying that much for a small EP?! Which isn't even a stand alone game, the features its adding are alright in there own way but dang I feel like EA & Maxis are taking advantage of us hardcore simmers by charging us $40 for this EP when the sims 3 has left some of us feeling empty compared to the sims 2 & the EP we had while playing it.

    I have bought every one of the sims game that has launched even the stuff packs never once complained but this kinda turns my stomach a bit, if this EP doesn't deliver I may not be spending around $40 bucks on the next EP. Most of us work all day for $8-10 an hour, to most folks $40 can be a frustrating price to pay for a EP that will probably add only a few features to the game the sims 2 EP wasn't really worth $30 probably $20 at the most? and its no joke that this EP isn't going to add anymore gameplay to the sims 3 then those sim 2 EP added to the sims 2. :cry::cry::cry:

    Just saying if us buyers & fans & hardcore simmers don't stand up for ourselves then they will keep on adding to the price until we're paying over $50 for the sims EPs and thats just ripping us off...

    Please, this has been talked about on MANY threads. I honestly don't mean to target you; but in general it seems each time someone "discovers" this price they feel the urge to make a new thread. :P It would be handy if people would just search for threads already discussing these things.

    Here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/121616.page

    :) Feel free to share your opinion or vent-- that's what that thread is for. :D
  • GreatWallStrGreatWallStr Posts: 1,688 New Member
    edited November 2009
    SuRihtanil wrote:
    and its no joke that this EP isn't going to add anymore gameplay to the sims 3 then those sim 2 EP added to the sims 2.

    Actually, it WILL add more. :D Did you know that fansites were given TWICE as much time to review this EP as they were for sims 2 EPs? Even so, they hardly scratched the surface of these skills and adventures, and there is still a lot left to be discovered! :D Statistically speaking, this is ("by far", as TheSimResource worded it) the largest EP ever to be released in the sims Franchise. :D It is really quite huge. The thing I love the most about it is the fact that these monuments are ENORMOUS! The pyramids are so large they make your sim look like some tiny speck next to them; The sphinx towers above your character, etc. :D
  • OpmystikOpmystik Posts: 1,720 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I have to say this and it's gonna come out rude but there are 50 million threads like this I know you wanna blow off steam but did you think you are that special that you couldn't post in another thread talking about price? Sorry that it came out rude I'm not tactful at this hour of the morning but I have to be up to get my son on the school bus.

    Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying not to complain. I understand where your coming from kinda. I guess the ep price doesn't bother me that much because of how my husband and I spread our money and how much is coming in the game. You've known about this ep since August. Between August and November if you can't save 5 dollars here or there don't worry about the ep until it's on sale. If you don't wanna pay $40 wait until it's on sale or get it used from a game store. If you can't wait and wanna get it on day one then your rant makes no sense. Well not really no sense but negates itself out. If your still gonna come up with the money there's no need to grumble. Obviously you think enough of it to buy it on day 1.

    I say do some research look at the simposium stuff, tsr has videos of some of the cas and build/buy mode stuff, gamespot and ign reviews and check out simoperations. They have tons of that show off the ep and it's like a ep and stuff pack put together. Ep's for TS2 were $30 on release and stuff packs were $20. Technically we're saying $10 cause instead of charging $50 were being charged $40. I say that because of all the content stuff pack wise we are getting. Over 100 build/buy things and another 100 in CAS. Stuff packs came with what anything from 40-100 things? One I think had about 120. Mind you those came with recolours and that's why it looked like so much but with TS3 we do our own recolours so what you see is 1 item in TS3, not 1 item 5 times like in TS2.

    I guess my point is if you don't wanna get the money together to get it on day 1 don't. You don't like the price send a message and have your friends do the same by waiting until it goes on sale. If you need the new shiny right away then don't bother to rant cause you negate your own rant by getting it right away.

  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,905 Member
    edited November 2009
    It's not like she labeled her thread incorrectly. Please, take some of Jarsie's advice, she didn't twist your arm to get you to read it. But, then again, I suppose you can take some of my advice and blow off some steam, but it will only make you guilty of what you're complaining about, which is silly don't you think?
  • OpmystikOpmystik Posts: 1,720 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I'm not complaining about her not liking the price please fully read what I said. I just said 1. if you buy it right away at full price it'll negate the rant cause she's planning on buying it at that price anyway, 2. She coulda posted this on the 50 million other threads that talk about the same thing, 3. She makes it sound like we're only going to get 2 items like with the base game but it's already proven fact that it's way more then that thus she should read up on it and look at all the info out there.

    I NEVER said not to complain about the price in fact I believe Sarwasti(not sure if I spelt that right) has a petition on another site called reclaim your game. Which I forgot to mention cause i forgot about it in which people are doing an official petition about ep pricing for TS3 and now that I remember it OP you should go to it and sign it. I just said why bother rant about the price if your going to turn around and BUY IT at that price. Plus I also said what I said might come out rude cause I was still tired at the time but had to stay up to get my son on his school bus and when I'm tired I don't tend to be tactful.
  • mofursmofurs Posts: 87 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I plan on waiting a few months until the price comes down. Guess I'm getting to old, I remember when Base Games would cost around $40 to $50 and expansion packs were only $20 to $30. Think what changed the price in this franchise is when EA started to release the stuff packs. They placed Stuff Packs into the $20 price range and increased the price of Expansion Packs to around $30. Guess that's the way the market works. As consumers if you don't want to pay for the higher prices the best thing to do is not rush out and buy a product you feel is over priced. If enough people do it, companies will usually adjust their prices to increase revenue from sales from that product and often times future products.
  • Simmerd80Simmerd80 Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited November 2009
    $40 dollars is not that bad. For some truely effected by the recession I can totally see the price difference being an issue but if you want something bad enough you can
    Besides its only 10 dollars more than what they use to be. If you don't spend the extra $10 on the EP, I gurauntee you will spend it else where that will only provide you with short term "fun." Where as the EP should satisfy you for at least 2 months or more depanding on your playing style. This means, your getting the extra $10 dollars worth lol
  • Panther00567Panther00567 Posts: 2,704 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I don't really have an issue with it. I bought this one game a couple of weeks ago, which cost $40 just like this new EP, and it turned out I was only interested in it for like a week, and then that was it. The Sims 3, on the other hand, I payed $50 for, and I'm still playing it to this day. And with the addition of this gigantic new EP, It'll last even longer! And just imagine all of the EPs to come... The Sims 2 had, if I'm not mistaken, 8 EPs, and I was playing that game for more than 4 years.
  • KarennKarenn Posts: 4,326 Member
    edited November 2009
    The price is fine. You can expect alot of good things with this expansion pack so it is worth it. I'm preordering soon.
  • myjacobianmyjacobian Posts: 19 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Awwww, come on now. You would have to be crazy to spend this much money for an EP in this economy. What's the matter with people, especially EA? Stop buying their products for a while....they will come down in their prices.
  • martymcflymartymcfly Posts: 472 Member
    edited November 2009
    No, the price is not fine. The price is not fine with a lot of people regardless of the usual flock that get on here and convince others that everything EA does is totally virtuous. And this is not about being able to afford it or not afford it.

    As for those who see that this is just another sorry attempt by EA to take advantage of the flock and whether they are in the minority, well we'll see. There are others who play this game that don't bother with this EA Advertising billboard they ludicrously claim as a forum.

    But anyway, I clicked on the Gamespot review and took time to read the comments. And guess what? A great many of them were about the ridiculous price for an expansion pack that you can't even play alone, because those who don't have their EA blinders on see this cynical price jump for what it is. And I always find it funny that people on here find every way to justify the motives of EA, something EA never does or is willing to do themselves.

    And if you want any more proof about how screwed up EA is, what the extra money on this pack really is for I give you articles one and two:

    Article One:

    In a press release, EA has now officially confirmed that it is laying off 1,500 employees as part of a general restructuring. In a conference call with analysts, CEO John Riccitiello said that as of September 30, the company had 8,820 employees, meaning it is letting 17 percent of its global payroll go.

    17 percent of Electronic Arts employees are getting pink slips.
    The reorg will also see the publisher "provide greater focus on titles with higher [profit] margin opportunities." As a result, Riccitiello said "over a dozen" games had been canceled, although he did not identify any specific titles.

    "Anything that doesn't measure up to be in a very high profit contributor and unit seller got cut from this point going forward," said the CEO.

    Sounds ominious? It sure does, and might even justify a 10 dollar price increase. Except those of you who make EA's excuses for them, don't know the company and don't know the people that run it. But look no further. Because once again on the very same day that EA is laying off Employees, what do they do? They buy another company, mentioned alost as an afterthought.

    Article Two:

    [ORIGINAL STORY] This morning, Electronic Arts confirmed that it had bought social-game specialist Playfish for $275 million in cash and up to $125 million more in incentives. At the same time, the company has apparently begun reducing its internal costs by trimming its payroll.

    So there you have it, and I don't even want to think how much money they blew on trivialities like sponsoring the green room at an awards show or paying a bunch of artists for songs the game doesn't need. Buy a company and lay off employees all in the same day.

    All this $10 is going for is further financing EA to stick it to their customers and screw over their employees while John Riccitiello and those at the top continue to stuff wads of cash into their pockets while they make one lousy decision after another. And it starts at the top. Now try educating yourselves about this company instead of coming on here and simply speculating, justifying, and making EA's excuses for them.

  • marie25marie25 Posts: 488
    edited November 2009
    myjacobian wrote:
    Awwww, come on now. You would have to be crazy to spend this much money for an EP in this economy. What's the matter with people, especially EA? Stop buying their products for a while....they will come down in their prices.

    Just because some peaple do pay the price dont make them crazy. I dont think because some peaple stop buying there products because of the price dont mean they are going to lower there prices. This is the new price for eps that come out. Sorry you dont like it. I'm not too happy about it either but thats the way life go's.
  • judhudsonjudhudson Posts: 336 New Member
    edited November 2009
    But John Riccitiello needs your extra $10...he has to buy another Tesla - based priced at $110,000.


    3954385346_e5a349655a.jpg

    (yes, that's his car, and yes, the car isn't cheap)

    So please make sure you think of him when you buy the expansion. I know I will :cry:

    </sarcastic>
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Simmerd80Simmerd80 Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited November 2009
    He can afford that car because hes the CEO of a million dollar company. Those are the rewards for running big business, you get to live well. I don't understand why people hate on rich people when they know dang well if they had the same kind of loot they would be doing the same thing.
    Big whoop if thats his car. Good for him. Its called Capitalism, if you don't like it, move to a communist country.

    Also I don't understand why people always want to complain and moan about EA and pricing. All that complaining and your still buying their products. I also find it so interesting how the same complainers like to accuse others who are NOT complaining of wearing "EA Blinders," why do we have to be blind? Just because we do not care, doesn't make us blind. Its just not that serious folks.
    If $40 bucks is too expensive for you to pay than wait awhile and get the stupid game when it goes on sale. Simple as that. Everyone ran out and paid $50 to $80 dollars for the Sims 3 back in June and before August rolled around some people were already able to buy the game on sale for $30 to $40 bucks....so seriously...whoopty woo about the dang price, it will be on sale at a more reasonable price for your wallets in the future.
  • DruscillaPenneyDruscillaPenney Posts: 82
    edited November 2009
    judhudson wrote:
    But John Riccitiello needs your extra $10...he has to buy another Tesla - based priced at $110,000.


    3954385346_e5a349655a.jpg

    (yes, that's his car, and yes, the car isn't cheap)

    So please make sure you think of him when you buy the expansion. I know I will :cry:

    Since he bought this car does that mean his stock is now worth only $36,890,000?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    All that complaining and your still buying their products. I also find it so interesting how the same complainers like to accuse others who are NOT complaining of wearing "EA Blinders," why do we have to be blind? Just because we do not care, doesn't make us blind.

    Yes, it does, and from your comments it makes you something even worse.

  • Panther00567Panther00567 Posts: 2,704 New Member
    edited November 2009
    The people who make the Sims game are, in fact, employees of this company... they're not the big CEO. John whatever-his-name-is is just some silly buffoon who makes money off of them. When I fork over my $40 for this expansion pack, I won't be thinking of some old rich guy who's probably never played a video game in his entire life, but rather the employees whom I can imagine worked very hard on this EP.

    I don't care if anyone tries to chase after me with pitchforks and torches, but I just like to be optimistic about things. Being pessimistic never got me anywhere. :)
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,905 Member
    edited November 2009
    I do not trust EA, but I love the sims. Which means, I am not going to buy this EP at full price, and encourage others to join me.

    Edit: Besides you know it's going to be bug-infested, and EA will take their sweet time fixing those bugs.


  • judhudsonjudhudson Posts: 336 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Sorry, looks like I forgot the </sarcastic> tag at the end of my post there. :)

    I'll still be getting it, yes. But I will make sure some way or another I'll get it at the normal $29.95 price like it should be. Whether that'll be waiting a week or using any coupons/promo codes to bring the cost down. :D
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top